Warm Weather, Hotter Nails: The Nail Trends For Summer 2015

Warm Weather, Hotter Nails: The Nail Trends For Summer 2015

Rising temperatures bring many benefits: Rosé, bikinis, short shorts, shirtless boys, and open-toed shoes. But when you show your toes to the world, your pedicure has to be on point. And, of course, it doesn’t just stop there. Your hands have to look just as good, if not better, to coordinate. Luckily, Deborah Lippmann, celebrity manicurist and founder of the eponymous nail line, gives us the lowdown on all things nails for summer 2015.

BB: What nail trends are you predicting for summer?

DL: This season, I think our interpretation of what is classically a neutral or nude is broadening. We are utilizing color differently for the nails; wearing shades that are a bit muddier and playing with finishes. While fashion has embraced nudes and neutrals for some time, I think the customer is finally ready to see these colors as part of their nail color wheel.

BB: What are your top color picks for the season?

DL: I think beautiful, opaque pastels are going to be a big trend, especially for spring. The soft, light colors are very refreshing! Nudes in general have become more fashion-forward and modern. With my new Whisper (Spring 2015) and Painted Desert (Summer 2015) collections, I’ve enhanced the traditional nude by pushing the boundaries of the category through the introduction of new shades, including sheer pinks, dusty mauves, blue-greys, and camel/khaki browns.

BB: Do you have a preference on what colors go on fingernails versus toenails? Any tips for coordinating?

DL: Create the look that suits you! Matching your fingers and toes certainly isn’t a must – but it is trending a bit more. For me, it’s more about the look in relation to everything else you are wearing. If you have really strong makeup on the eye and lip, I would match fingers and toes. Just like the two out of three rule with jewelry!

Following Deborah’s advice, here are our top color picks for the season:

1. Deborah Lippmann Shifting Sands ($18) – Full-coverage nude that flatters multiple skin tones.
2. Victoria, Victoria Beckham for nails inc. London Bamboo White ($25) – If Victoria Beckham endorses delicate bone for talons, we do too.
3. Jin Soon Tulle ($18) – A light, creamy pink that dries with a major high-gloss finish.
4. Essie First Timer ($8.50) – A bit of a bolder pastel that is perfect for a summer pedicure with a bit of tan (fake, please!).
5. Deborah Lippmann Misty Morning ($18) – A unique sheer blue, proving that neutrals don’t have to be pink or tan.

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com