The List: Best Mascaras Of 2014

list
By December 16, 2014 4 Comments

The List: Best Mascaras Of 2014

As we approach the new year, I’ll be doing a series of posts in list format of favorite beauty products in different categories. Some of them will be new launches from this year, some of them will be old, classics from years past, some of them will be recommendations from friends and experts, some of them will be coveted, drugstore finds, but all of them will be must-haves.

And I’d love to hear from YOU… what are your favorites in each category? Feel free to leave your feedback in the comment section below and perhaps you’ll see your recommendation in a future post!

Today, let’s talk mascara!

1. Tarte Lights, Camera, Flashes ($23) – The predecessor, Lights, Camera, Lashes ($20), is definitely a classic favorite, but the new (and, some would say, improved) version, Lights, Camera, Flashes gives even more volume, length, and curls. And I happen to like this plastic bristled applicator better than the fiber one of Lashes. Both formulas are made without parabens or phthalates, so they’re  a great alternative for those interested in greener products.

2. Marc Jacobs O!Mega Lash Volumizing Mascara ($26) – I’ve raved about this mascara several times since discovering the lacquered black formula. But if you still haven’t taken the plunge and purchased a tube, there’s no time like the present. If you want glossy black lashes that are thick and long, look no further: MJ’s got you and your lashes covered.

3. W3ll People Expressionist Bio Extreme Mascara ($24) – By far, the best all natural mascara on the market (in my humble opinion). Made with healthy ingredients including palm and sunflower extract to nourish and organic beeswax and carnauba wax, this product isn’t only good for you, it’s good for lengthening and separating pesky lashes, too. And the thin, plastic bristled brush makes coating those tiny, corner hairs doable.

4. Benefit They’re Real! Mascara ($23) – This mascara is a Jack of all trades, lengthening, separating, curling, and volumizing with its jet-black formula. Adored by makeup artists and enthusiasts alike, They’re Real will give you fake looking lashes without every applying glue. And try the new They’re Real! Push-Up Liner ($24), a wonderful companion to the mascara to create the illusion of thick lashes.

5. CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume Mascara ($4) – When it comes to drugstore buys, CG’s Lash Blast tops the list of one of the best purchases in the aisle. It’s an oldie, but oh, is it good. And I’m not the only one who thinks so: Nicky Hilton introduced me to this gem years ago, and one of my favorite makeup artists, Katey Denno, cites this mascara as her absolute favorite.

6. DiorShow Mascara ($25)- DiorShow has so many fans, it’s probably the most talked about mascara in any of my interviews. Jewelry designer Pamela Love, artist and filmmaker Liz Goldwyn, are just a few of the notable names that use – and love – DiorShow. Choose from DiorShow’s award-winning original or DiorShow’s Iconic Overcurl Mascara ($29) (my personal favorite). Both do your lashes justice with their highly pigmented and volumizing formulas.

7. Lancome Definicils Mascara ($28) – My first foray into Lancome’s fan-favorite mascara was as a young girl watching my mother coat her lashes with this product. Writer and fashionista Stephanie LaCava mentioned this as her “go-to, be all” mascara of choice (read her specific application directions here). My favorite aspect of this specific mascara is the skinny applicator which literally picks up the tiniest of hairs and gives them mega volume.