The Best Beauty Products To Buy This Fall: The Lips Edition
Fall lips seem to come in two very different categories: light – barely-there beiges and mauves – and dark – reds, deep berries, and, this season’s hottest hue: oxblood (like red, but darker and more vampy with either purple or brown undertones).
This fall, deciding to do your lips as the afterthought (nude) or the main focal point (bold) is an entirely personal choice. But to help you settle on a specific shade, we’ve put together our favorite fall hues in a variety of formulas and finishes. Whether you’re partial to matte or gloss, muted or metallic, there’s a lippy for you.
Every season, a neutral lip is a beauty staple seen on a legion of celebrities and fashionistas, and this fall is no exception. The nude lip is usually paired with a darker, smokey eye and, while this is still a viable option, this season’s natural, glossy lid and contoured skin compliments fall’s barely-there mouth, too. The nudes of fall 2014 come in matte, glossy, sheen, and metallic finishes.
1. Shiseido Lacquer Rouge in RS727 ($25) – This rosy-grey shade is the perfect pinky nude with an enviable budge-free lacquer finish.
2. Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Natural Lipstick in N52 ($20) – A sheer, peachy nude that offers the perfect hint of color and shine.
3. Stila Magnificent Metals Lip Gloss in Kitten ($23)- One of this season’s hottest trends is metallic everything, and that means the pucker, too. Micro-fine pearls and a satin finish leave lips with a barely-there hue and some seriously sexy sparkle.
4. Bite Beauty Matte Crème Lip Crayon in Leche ($24) – For the matte enthusiast, this brand takes the cake. The highly pigmented shades, crayon-like applicator, and budge and smudge-proof formula are perfect for that painted-on pout. Leche is a dusty pale pink that may even be lighter than your actual lip color (which is kind of the point).
5. L’Oreal Collection Privee The Perfect Nudes ($8) – Six gorgeous nude shades named after L’Oreal’s ambassadors like Julianne Moore and Eva Mendes. Each nude compliments a specific skin tone, from golden-based complexions (Eva) to very fair complexions (Julianne) to darker tones (Liya).
Fall’s bold lip runs the spectrum from the classic candy apple red to the more moody oxblood to the brooding aubergine. This lip can be paired with a smokey eye (the fall 2014 runways showcased high voltage eyes and lips) or a neutral lid. A dewy, flawless complexion gives this lip finish two options: matte to work against the skin and shiny to work with it.
1. Laura Mericer Lip Glace in Desire ($24) – Like the name suggests, the lip glace is glamorously glossy. Desire is a full bodied burgundy (sounds like we’re talking wines) with a hint of shimmer.
2. Kevyn Aucoin The Expert Lip Color in Bloodrose ($35) – Described as a velvety merlot (again, there’s that wine metaphor), Bloodrose is right on trend with this season’s oxblood obsession. It’s not a matte nor a gloss, this finish lies somewhere in the middle. Think creamy full coverage.
3. Bite Beauty Matte Creme Lip Crayon in Augergene and Truffle ($24) – A creamy matte eggplant and deep brown, respectively. Both fall under the must-have vibe of fall’s vampy, 90’s pout.
4.Nars Hardwire Lipstick in Deadly Catch ($26) – This limited-edition crimson red is part of the Holiday collection and, as such, it’s pretty much the perfect Christmas party classic color. The matte finish is ideal for mistletoe make outs.
5. Flower Kiss Me Twice Lip and Cheek Chubby in Raisin the Roof ($6) – This lip and cheek stick by Drew Barrymore offers full coverage for lips and buildable color for cheeks (love a multitasking product!). Raisin the Roof is a dark, berry purple that will put you right on trend with fall’s aubergine fascination.