Tag:  spring 2013 Archives - Beauty Banter

Spring 2013: Make Up For Ever Technicolor Palette + Giveaway!

By | makeup | 15 Comments

I just got finished writing about the newest spring trend: bright, bold eyes – and Make Up For Ever’s spring collection is paying homage to this trend. Technicolor is an eyeshadow palette of three statement colors – yellow, blue and green – and five classics – black, white, plum, brown and beige. Mix and match to create a colorful lid, a monochromatic wash or a layered look.

Danny Sanz, creator and artistic director of Make Up For Ever, created Technicolor by over-saturating the shadow hues, a similar process that filmmakers use. The name – Technicolor – and the technique “channel the 1930s cinematic transition from black and white motion picture to color imagery.”

With 8 highly pigmented and provocative shades to choose from, this palette will appease all of your spring fling shadow desires. So far, I’ve created a smoky eye with the neutral and brown shades, a glam lid with the white and black (used with a bit of water as an eye liner) shadows, and a bright purple lid, layering the color for a more saturated look.

How do you plan to get your spring eye on?

GIVEAWAY  GIVEAWAY  GIVEAWAY  GIVEAWAY  GIVEAWAY  GIVEAWAY  GIVEAWAY

Tweet us your favorite way to wear a spring eye and enter for a chance to win Make Up For Ever’s Technicolor Palette! @beautybanter

You must also leave a comment below with your twitter handle. Beauty Banter will choose one winner at random on March 14, 2013. Winner will be contacted via direct message on twitter (so you need to be following us!). You must live in the United States to Enter.

Good Luck!

PRICE TAG: $45

Spring 2013 Runway Nail Trends RECAP

By | trends | One Comment

The last of our three part Spring 2013 runway recap series: nails. While bedazzled tips are still a mega trend for spring, there will also be more off-the-wall looks like 3-D and talons. Either way, nails are becoming a must-have statement accessory. Gone are the days of classic red, hello to metallic and two-toned hues!

Here is our New York Fashion Week nail trend recap in two parts: must-have colors and nail art inspiration + we’re giving you some DIY nail looks courtesy of Deborah Lippmann.

Must-have’s:

Barely There Hues

Come next Spring, dust off those winter blues with barely there hues of soft pinks and nudes. Spotted on a plethora of models at Rodarte, Douglas Hannant, Marc Jacobs and many more, there is no denying an au naturel tip and we’re the last to contest. Though I’m still  fan of pretty sheer pinks, nail guru Deborah Lippmann adds, “Nude continues to be a big trend.  We’re moving away from sheer pink, and will see more of a full coverage mauve or nude.” To get the look, check out: Essie in Allure, CND in Tutu, Deborah Lippmann in Naked, and Shirley Temple Peony by Priti NYC.

Silver Shine

For a little more shimmer, extend your love for Fall metallics through to Spring. Erin Fetherston’s silver metallic nail polish was to die for but for something a little more subdued but equally beautiful, look to Christian Siriano with an ever-so-subtle lilac and pink sheen. For your silver laden tips, here are my top picks: MAC Discothèque, Essie There’s No Place Like Chrome, CND Silver Chrome, and Sephora by OPI Queen of Everything.

Duo Tones

One trend I am dying to try are duo tones. Always a fan of color and punch, this is the ultimate nail trend come Spring 2013. What I love about this trend is that you can personalize your tips with a half-moon manicure as seen at Naeem Khan, a diagonal tip à la Lauren Moffatt, or something as simple as a colorful take on a French mani, like at Jenni Kayne. Remember to keep your base fairly neutral so your tips will be as vibrant as ever!

Must-try Nail Art:

Nail art isn’t going anywhere, so why not indulge in the trend. As Deborah Lippmann points out, “I think nail art is still big, and it’s such a fun way to express yourself. I created gingham nails for Kate Spade this season, and I think that it’s a trend we’ll continue to see.  Last season we saw a trend come to life with the polka dot nail from Kate Spade, and I think that we’re going to see the same with gingham this spring.

Talons

This is a trend that is much too bold for me, but perhaps you’ll enjoy experimenting with. A great beauty (and fashion) statement, your fingers will appear elongated.. and who doesn’t like that? Runway trendsetters include Katie Gallagher, Angel Sanchez, Kate Spade and Tracy Reese!

Bejeweled

Love sparkle? Me too. I also love glitter nail polish for that very reason but if you’re looking for something with a little more sparkle, check these runway-ready nail tips. My favorite was from Joy Cioci on the left. So elegant but also the very definition of beautiful nail art. If you’re feeling adventurous, may I suggest The Blonds silver encrusted manicure? Sparkle, sparkle.

Going 3-D

What scares me the most about nail art is my own clumsiness. Am I capable of keeping my nail art intact for more than 24 hours? I’m not entirely sure. In the meantime, I’ll stand in awe at these gorgeously creative nail tips from Deigo Binetti (they look like butterfly wings!) and Ruffian (gold appliqués are perfect for the holiday season). Absolutely swoon-worthy.

Gingham Style

How insanely colorful and crazily gorgeous were the nails at Kate Spade?! We have a special treat for you vis-à-vis Ms. Deborah Lippmann, the creator of this beautiful Spring look.

Deborah Lippmann’s DYI Kate Spade Gingham Nails:

To help create the look at-home if you do not have a striping brush or steady hands, you can create a stencil but it requires patience!

Step 1: Two coats of Amazing Grace
Step 2: Once fully dried (1 hour recommended), cut thin strips of tape to create a stencil for the vertical lines. Keep in mind that wherever the tape goes on the nail, white will remain when the tape is lifted.
Step 3: Place the thin strips of tape vertically across the nail, making sure they are spaced evenly. Once you have placed the thin strips of tape vertically across your nail, apply the gingham lacquer of choice.
Step 4: Once painted, carefully remove the tape after about 30 seconds – it’s important to note that if the lacquer is too wet when the tape is lifted it may run, and if the tape is lifted when the lacquer is dry the tape may rip.
Step 5: Once the vertical lines are completely dry (recommend waiting time: 1 hour), cut thin strips of tape to use for the horizontal lines while ensuring that they are the same thickness as the strips used for the vertical lines. When placing the strips on the nail, be sure that they are evenly spaced so that you make perfect squares of white in between the lines.
Step 6: Once the horizontal lines have been painted and the tape has been lifted, finish the nail with a top coat.

Here are the shades used for the show, to help replicate the look. The pink gingham was created using I Kissed A Girl, while It Girl was used for the yellow gingham – both of which are shades from my Run the World (Girls) set. The royal blue gingham was created using My Prerogative from an upcoming She’s Always A Woman holiday set, while Lara’s Theme – a shade created with Lara Stone – represented the orange. We also created a custom mint green lacquer for the show using a combination of existing shades – Amazing Grace, On the Beach and Yellow Brick Road.

To create the custom mint green combine the below:
1/2 bottle of Amazing Grace
1/4 bottle of Yellow Brick Road
1/4 bottle of On the Beach

By Beauty Banter’s in-house assistant, Sara Ng

Spring 2013 Runway Hair Trends RECAP

By | hair, trends | One Comment

Judging from the runways, spring 2013 hair will be about ease – from bed head to side ponies, pencil straight to relaxed and wavy. There isn’t a specific must have trend for spring 2013 (except, perhaps, for ombre which still seems to be reigning supreme), but hair will be fashionable, chic, yet maintainable… that’s code for you can do this at home!  So, before that next night on the town, get your hair-spiration from spring’s stylish runway strands.

Here are our 5 favorite spring 2013 hair trends, directly off of the runways of New York, London, Milan and Paris.

(1) Undone done hair. The hair that every cool girl covets, is one that doesn’t require any “real” styling – that effortless chic, bedhead morning look, of course. Why can’t we all roll out of bed looking like we’ve just walked off the runways? Le sigh. My inspiration for spring:

(Left to right: Rebecca Minkoff, Burberry Prorsum, Versace, Dries Van Noten)

NEW YORK
SHOW: Rebecca Minkoff
LEAD STYLIST: Jeanie Syfu for TRESemmé
LOOK: “Beachy waves with polished ends – 80’s feel of the collection called for a relaxed, chic style.”

LONDON
SHOW: Burberry Prorsum
LEAD STYLIST: Neil Moodie for Bumble and Bumble
LOOK: “Slightly unassuming but sexy, more definite wave.”

MILAN
SHOW: Versace
LEAD STYLIST: Guido
LOOK: “Natural, effortless, very dusty – think of the desert and the beach. A very cool-girl look, it should feel sexy and uncomplicated.”

PARIS
SHOW: Dries Van Noten
LEAD STYLIST: Paul Hanlon
LOOK: “ Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love. It’s not a hairdo; it’s just a feeling of texture.”

(2) We’re taking sides. Which side are you taking? I’m a lefty. This season we’re not just seeing side parts, but deep side parts, and  I’m already a fan of the ease and simplicity. A hairstyle for all face shapes and it’s simple to achieve!

(Left to right: Derek Lam, Holly Fulton, Mila Schon, Lanvin)

NEW YORK
SHOW: Derek Lam
LEAD STYLIST: Orlando Pita for PHYTO
LOOK: “Modern, urban woman.”

LONDON
SHOW: Holly Fulton
LOOK: “1960s Patti McGee.”

MILAN
SHOW: Mila Schon
LOOK: “70s cool.”

PARIS
SHOW: Lanvin
LEAD STYLIST: Guido for Redken
LOOK: “Today’s woman – natural, beautiful, easy. Very cool girl, with a little bit of attitude.”

(3) Put ’em up! Updos can be tricky but a beautiful ‘do done right can make all of the difference. Whether it be a “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” updo or a classic chignon, don’t be afraid to experiment and remember, practice makes perfect.

(Left to right: Oscar de la Renta, Issa, Dolce & Gabbana, Loewe)

NEW YORK
SHOW: Oscar de la Renta
LEAD STYLIST: Orlanda Pita
LOOK: “Audrey Hepburn’s Holly Golightly in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.” It’s Holly Golightly meets Keith Haring.”

LONDON
SHOW: Issa
LEAD STYLIST: Malcolm Edwards
LOOK: “Marie Helvin-esque creature from the 70s.”

MILAN
SHOW: Dolce & Gabbana
LEAD STYLIST: Guido by Redken
LOOK: “The Sicilian woman. Light, summery, 60s, in the Riviera.”

PARIS
SHOW: Loewe
LEAD STYLIST: Guido for Redken
LOOK: “Quintessentially Spanish.”

(4) Hoppin’ in the shower. The wet hair look is quite refreshing.. literally! Put those hair dryers away ladies and grab some product for that slick and wet look. Grunge with a modern day twist (no pun intended).

(Left to right: Mandy Coon, Osman, Alberta Ferretti, Nina Ricci)

NEW YORK
SHOW: Mandy Coon
LEAD STYLIST: Antonio Corral Calero for Moroccanoil
LOOK: “Wet look of 80s actress Bridgett Neilson – downtown and underground.”

LONDON
SHOW: Osman
LEAD STYLIST: Nick Irwin for TIGI
LOOK: “Late 80s, early 90s wet waves.”

MILAN
SHOW: Alberta Ferretti
LEAD STYLIST: Guido for Redken
LOOK: “Light, liquid. Wet goddesses coming out from the water.”

PARIS
SHOW: Nina Ricci
LEAD STYLIST: Guido for Redken
LOOK: “Classic French twist for the modern woman.”

(5) Pony up. I’m a huge fan of the ponytail; it’s easy and can totally change the feel of your look. Whether loose, center-parted or super slicked, ponytails are here to stay.

(Left to right: Alexander Wang, Markus Lupfer, Versus, Christian Dior)

NEW YORK
SHOW: Alexander Wang
LEAD STYLIST: Guido for Redken
LOOK: “New spin on the ponytail – robotic, sleek, yet natural and slightly disheveled.”

LONDON
SHOW: Markus Lupfer
LEAD STYLIST: Alex Brownsell for Bumble and Bumble
LOOK: “Ethereal mermaid.”

MILAN
SHOW: Versus
LEAD STYLIST: Guido for Redken
LOOK: “60s super slick, ultra shiny, stick-straight ponytail.”

PARIS
SHOW: Christian Dior
LEAD STYLIST: Guido for Redken
LOOK: “Low, shiny ponytail. Very strong, very utilitarian.”

~By Beauty Banter’s in-house assistant, Sara Ng.

Spring 2013 Runway Makeup Trends RECAP

By | makeup, trends | One Comment

Before it’s in a magazine or on a celebrity, it’s strutting down a runway. Fashion Week creates trends that become permanent staples for a season. From New York to Paris, we’re taking a look back at the faces that graced the runways in the 4 fashion-forward cities for spring 2013. While some looks are meant to stay on the runway (like Vivienne Westwood’s exquisite heart face paintings, crafted by none other than the artistic genius Val Garland), others, like red lips and matte skin, will be making their way to trend status this spring.

Here are our top 5 spring 2013 makeup trends, from the runways of New York, London, Milan, and Paris.

(1) Less is more. Have our mothers not taught us many times before, that less is more? The international fashion runways are no exception, as many designers kept their makeup simple, clean, and very much alive: focal point on a flawless, matte complexion.

(Left to right: Helmut Lang, Sass & Bide, Salvatore Ferragamo, Damir Doma)

NEW YORK
SHOW: Helmut Lang
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Hannah Murray for NARS Cosmetics
LOOK: “The focus is really on the skin, which is fresh, sporty and scrubbed clean.”

LONDON
SHOW: Sass & Bide
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Charlotte Tilbury for MAC Cosmetics
LOOK: “No makeup make-up.. handsome brow, fresh, natural, youthful, androgynous beauty.”

MILAN
SHOW: Salvatore Ferragamo
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Tom Pecheux for MAC Cosmetics
LOOK: “Minimalistic purity.”

PARIS
SHOW: Damir Doma
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Carole Columbani for MAC Cosmetics
LOOK: “Purity and shading.. androgynous makeup.”

(2) Color, color, colorful lids. What’s spring without a burst of color? Whether it be soft, bright, or bold, we’re very excited to paint our lids every shade of the rainbow.

(Left to right: Donna Kara, Antoni & Alison, Frankie Morello, Christian Dior)

NEW YORK
SHOW: Donna Karan
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Charlotte Tilbury for MAC Cosmetics
LOOK: ” Blank canvas with sci-fi, modern feel.”

LONDON
SHOW: Antoni & Alison
LOOK: Bold and playful eyes in blue, purple, and green.

MILAN
SHOW: Frankie Morello
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Terry Barber for MAC Cosmetics
LOOK: “Very 60s shape on the eye, feline, think 60s sci-fi, Barbarella, Jean Shrimpton.”

PARIS
SHOW: Christian Dior
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Pat McGrath
LOOK: “Techno butterflies.”

(3) Smack ’em red. Red lips in March? Why not! No longer just a hue for the Fall/Winter months, red  – and orange – is now a focal point for springtime.

(Left to right: Carlos Miele, Burberry Prorsum, Moschino, Jean Paul Gaultier)

NEW YORK
SHOW: Carlos Miele
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Gato for Maybelline
LOOK: “Sunkissed beach girls.”

LONDON
SHOW: Burberry Prorsum
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Wendy Rowe for Burberry Beauty
LOOK: “Modern-day, sassy girl. She’s very flirty.”

MILAN
SHOW: Moschino
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Tom Pecheux for MAC Cosmetics
LOOK: “60s meet Lana Del Rey.”

PARIS
SHOW: Jean Paul Gaultier
LOOK: An homage to 80s pop — Boy George, Madonna, Michael Jackson

(4) Walk the black line. Thick or thin, black eyeliner is a staple of every girl’s makeup bag. This season, we’re seeing thin lines for a demure eye and heavier, graphic lines for a more extreme and dramatic look. Which look do you prefer?

(Left to right: 3.1 Phillip Lim, Temperley, Antonio Marras, Lanvin)

NEW YORK
SHOW: 3.1 Phillip Lim
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Francelle Daly for NARS Cosmetics
LOOK: “We were going for ‘sophisticated rocker chick’ with this beauty look — The Runaways’ Joan Jett and Lita Ford, or Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth.”

LONDON
SHOW: Temperley
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Val Garland
LOOK: “Grace Kelly gone London rogue.”

MILAN
SHOW: Antonio Marras
LOOK: “A meeting between a super aristocratic English marriage and those that take place in an Italian suburbs.”

PARIS
SHOW: Lanvin
LOOK: “Purity and precision, not control or minimalism.”

(5) Bold brows. Pause the plucking because you’re going to want your bushy brows come spring. If you have naturally thin brows, like I do, don’t be afraid to feather them in with a brow pencil. Definitely worth a try next spring!

(Left to right: Marc Jacobs, Christopher Kane, Etro, Costume National)

NEW YORK
SHOW: Marc Jacobs
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: François Nars for NARS Cosmetics
LOOK: “Typical Marc girl — very New York City, very chic, very interesting.”

LONDON
SHOW: Christopher Kane
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Lucia Pieroni
LOOK: “A young, cute Frankenstein face.”

MILAN
SHOW: Etro
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Charlotte Tilbury for MAC Cosmetics
LOOK: “It is fresh and clean, a pretty boy look.. a 90s contemporary feel.”

PARIS
SHOW: Costume National
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Sally Branken
LOOK: “New minimalism. More technique, more ‘couture,’ more elegant.”

By Beauty Banter’s in-house assistant, Sara Ng // part or all of this post was originally published on www.beautybanter.com

Fashion Week Round-Up: Spring 2013 Hair Trends

By | trends | 7 Comments

I’ve always chosen the low-maintenance route when it comes to my hair. This is due, in part, to my limited ability to style and most certainly due to my impatience. However, I’m looking forward to spring 2013 to when I can try my hand at a few of the runway hair trends that could very well work with my pencil straight locks! From bed head to side parts to ponies, spring 2013 promises to offer up a style for every hair type.

[...]

Trend Report: New York Fashion Week Nails

By | trends | One Comment

Fall is still a few weeks away, yet I am already looking forward to Spring 2013 and your nails should be too. Nail trends for Spring are no longer limited to just the colors we choose to lacquer our tips with, but also the bejewels we adorn our nails with. Here is our New York Fashion Week nail trend recap in two parts: must-have colors and nail art inspiration.