I love sharing my eco-beauty finds and helping people understand why it’s so important to green your beauty routine. But I am definitely not alone in this and continue to be inspired by those who were championing the cause way before me, like Sophie Uliano over at Gorgeously Green and Kim Carlson of EarthSmart Consumer. Kim founded five green companies, has a national radio show “Livin The Green Life” and is NBC’s “EarthSmart Expert.”
At EarthSmartConsumer.com you can learn more about eco-conscious living and, if you like quizzes like I do, take her Green Quiz to find out how green your lifestyle is. And remember, going green doesn’t mean sacrificing your sense of style. Kim “has one foot in earth-friendly idealism and the other in style-conscious living. And she’s wearing stiletto heels.” She shared her favorite beauty picks with Beauty Banter for morning and night.
Kim’s morning routine:
– Tom’s of Maine Whole Care Toothpaste
– for the shower (because bar soap have little to no packaging)
– Belegenza shampoo and condition (free of parabens and sodium lauryl sulfates)
– Alba Very Emollient Body Lotion
– Makeup by Dr. Hauschka, including (containing black tea leaf which is rich in antioxidants and skin soothing), Dr. H’s (with anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory Neem leaf) and Dr. H’s (with Rose Hip Fruit extract to protect and soothe chapped lips).
Kim believes, “one thing at a time is the best way to green your beauty routine.” And I agree. Same goes for clothing (Kim’s eco-friendly picks include jeans by Karmel & Alden and earth-friendly frocks like the Chitin dress by Linda Loudermilk). What I love about Kim’s philosophy is that she knows that a) change is hard, and b) you don’t have to suffer to look and feel good. With that in mind, her advice is “starting with small changes can make a big difference and impact.” Switch out one or two beauty products with eco-friendly counterparts and you’re on your way! Kim’s new bookGreen Your Work: Boost Your Bottom Line While Reducing Your Eco-Footprint, is in stores now. And check out her website for great articles and videos as well. I love all the recipes for homemade scrubs and masks. xo alex.