Style: 5 Must Have Summer Clutches

There’s something about the summer heat that makes me cringe at the thought of carrying anything larger than a bread box. In the Fall I covet oversized carryalls that can hold all of my wordly possessions. But as soon as Summer starts I find myself wanting to shed the excess weight and only tote my essentials. For me these include lipstick, mascara, wallet, keys and phone. Nothing more and nothing less. There’s a freedom in eliminating the nagging rub of shoulder straps and the pounds of unneeded items (multiple hair brushes, receipts, excess change, etc). Needless to say, I am excited to edit my bag’s contents and move into a sensible sized clutch. Here are my top picks for this Summer:

1. Clare Vivier Fold Over Cobalt Blue Clutch $185. I love clutches that add a pop of color to your summer ensemble. There is something so fresh about a bright blue accessory on the backdrop of a lightweight white dress.

2. J. Crew Raffia Clutch $136. In warmer months I tend to simplify my wardrobe. I reach for clothing with considerably less layers and embellishments, so I have more room to play around with different textures in my accessories. This Raffia clutch adds interest to a simple black tank and denim shorts.

3. Bottega Veneta Zip Top Pouch $400.  A classic clutch option that is practically season-less. This is a piece that I could safely pull out for the next ten summers and it will still be on trend.

4. Anthropologie Night Cafe Pouch $68. The multi colors and textures of this clutch feel like a celebration. I love an accessory that is lively enough to punch up any outfit. A simple black dress, a basic white T are all made more dynamic with this piece.

5. Simone Camille Thale Clutch $240. Embroidered vintage patchwork makes this piece a bohemian dream. Float through the summer months with gauzy maxi dresses and this by your side. Don’t be afraid to mix patterns!

Wells Butler is a fashion veteran, with over a decade of experience in the industry. She launched and was Creative Director of a successful women’s contemporary label for eight years. For the the past three years she has worked as a  wardrobe stylist and personal shopper. She is a new Mom and is enjoying balancing her career and motherhood.