Spring C O L O R Must-Haves
We’re in the thick of it now: Lighter, brighter, sunnier days are here to stay. This season, vibrant hues of rainbow shades will be worn on eyes, lips and cheeks. Pick a feature and play with your color. Spring is the time to let the bold shades shine…
Here, the 5 best colors for spring, plus the products that give good hue:
1. Cobalt – The edgier version of your average blue hue, a cobalt lined-eye is key for spring. As seen on Marc Jacobs S/S 2014 runway, the brighter the blue – teal to peacock – the better. If you’re feeling bold (pun intended), try a smokey eye in cobalt shades.
TRY: Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Cobalt, a deep teal blue.
2. Gold – Take a cue from Jason Wu’s S/S 2014 runway show and give your lids a gilded makeover. From champagne to copper, shades of gold reign supreme. Also, try a similarly-hued highlighter on your brow and cheek bones – wear together for a monochromatic effect.
TRY: Make Up For Ever Metal Powder in Maize Gold, a loose pigment powder in a coppery gold shade. For a gilded highlighter, Jouer’s Highlighter in Champagne is pretty perfect.
3. Pink – A fuchsia lip makes a statement. But so too does an equally bold cheek. From Jessica Pare’s highlighter pink Met Ball pout to Kate Bosworth’s perpetual pink cheeks. Nothing says Spring quite like a blushing smile and for that coveted dewy glow, try a cream cheek tint to achieve the look.
TRY: Tarte Lip Surgence Matte Lip Tint in Lively, a seriously hot pink (use on cheeks too!). Kevyn Aucoin’s The Creamy Glow in Liquifuschia is a longtime favorite for this staple spring cheek.
4. Purple – Pantone’s color of the year, Radiant Orchid, has brought added attention to one of spring’s most vibrant hues – purple. Wear a bold shade on your lips (like model Joan Small’s stunning Met Ball pout) or a lesser hued aubergine on lids. Keep the rest of the face bare, save for your chosen focal feature.
TRY: MAC Lipstick in Heroine, a bright, matte purple. For eyes, try Clarin’s Eye Quartet Mineral Palette in Violet and mix and match four fetching purple shades – from lavender to violet!
5. Orange – Once again, orange will be making its way into your makeup bag and (hopefully onto your face). When it comes to orange – and your lips – just remember this one word: BRIGHT. Take note of January Jones’ perfectly hued orange pout. Not feeling the neon thing? Stay on-trend with shades of peach and apricot, worn in a matte formula, on cheeks and lids.
TRY: Nars Satin Lip Pencil in Timanfaya, a juicy orange shade with a semi gloss finish. For cheeks, try Dolce & Gabbana Luminous Cheek Color in Apricot (great for contouring, too).