Skin: Do The Dew
Natural, healthy skin is in, we know this. But what we see on the runways and in our favorite glossy rag mags, aren’t always achievable in every day life. In fact, creating an actual glowing visage requires hard work, especially for those – like me – who weren’t born and blessed with a Cara Delevingne complexion.
Here are 5 essential tips for achieving dewy skin:
1. Facials – A dewy complexion starts with your actual skin, so take the time to work with it. Weekly to bi-monthly deep cleansing facials with the fabulous Gina Mari (this woman knows her way into a pimple like no other), have really helped to clear the dead skin and acne-causing debris. Gina talks about skin as if it’s a muscle group and she’s the trainer – it’s all about repetition and consistency. Find a facialist that you adore – and who isn’t afraid to go deep – and never pick or prod at your own skin again…. ever.
2. Less Is More – Sometimes, less really is more. Especially if you’re yearning for a natural-looking complexion which, by its very definition means little-to-no makeup. So, put away those foundations and opt for a tinted moisturizer — or go bare and spot treat problem areas with a creamy concealer like Cle de Peau Concealer (this is one of those Holy Grail, must-have product in every beauty arsenal). I’ve forgone my BB and CC Creams for the light, classic Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer. The formula is so sheer that it looks as though you’re wearing nothing at all, but it blends into an even, natural, glowing color that is the same shade as your skin tone but without the imperfections. Obsessed all over again.
3. Layering Skincare – I’m all about layering products to get the most of their benefits. For that inner glow, you’ll want to include a Vitamin C serum, a product rich in hyaluronic acid, and a moisturizer (preferably one that contains glycolic acid or another exfoliating ingredient). I was recently introduced to Kat Rudu and her all-natural skincare line and I can’t even begin to tell you how much they’ve changed my complexion. I look healthy, vibrant, and, yes, dewy. I use them all in conjunction with one another – Vitamin C Serum, Liquid Lift Peptide Serum, and Hydra Cell Bright Citrus Moisturizer, but if I had to choose the one game-changer, it would be the Liquid Lift Peptide Serum. Silk amino acids replenish texture and resiliency by bonding with the water in the skin while rosehip oil, vegan essential fatty acids, moisturize and regenerate cell turnover without ever causing a blemish! (Note: I have extremely sensitive, acne-prone skin. This stuff is so gentle yet so effective.). For drier skin types, I suggest using a face oil layered under a moisturizer, like Sunday Riley’s Juno Hydroactive Cellular Face Oil paired with Charlotte Tilbury’s Magic Cream to give your skin a plump, dewy effect.
4. Retinoid – Daily or bi-weekly use of a retinoid is key. I go straight for the prescription strength Retin-A but there are plenty of over-the-counter products that contain a Vitamin A component. It’ll speed up cell turn over, even out uneven skin tones, clear away acne scars, and soften fine lines and wrinkles. And, it’s preventative (score!). TRY: REN Bio Retinoid Anti-Ageing Cream or Dr. Dennis Gross Ferulic Acid + Retinol Brightening Solution, both products offer anti-aging benefits that will ultimately expose the dewier you.
5. Glowing Makeup – Now that we’ve got our skin perfected and protected, it’s time to turn to makeup that can help in our quest for that inner glow. When I interviewed MAC Senior Artist John Stapleton on fall beauty trends, he urged everyone to purchase a face cream with a lustre effect (MAC Strobe Cream was his go-to). I’ve been playing around with Charlotte Tilbury’s Wonderglow and I’m officially obsessed. Not only do I get bombarded with compliments every time I wear it, but I actually notice a difference too. The cream has a light diffuser technology which both creates illumination and fills in fine lines. It’s literally dew in a bottle. I spot treat brow bones, cheek bones, bridge of nose, and cupid’s bow, but you can mix with your daily moisturizer and apply over the entire face too. Another crucial aspect of glowing makeup is to use creamier based blushes. Tata Harper’s new Lip and Cheek Tints are sheer enough to look natural, creamy enough to be blendable, and pigmented enough to give you that perfect hint of glowing flush. Very Sweet is complexion-changing (seriously).