No. More. Antiperspirant. Ever.
By now, I’m sure you’re aware that antiperspirant/ deodorant combos are really, really bad for you. But just in case you are still using antiperspirant, let’s recap. Goggle the effects of aluminum and scary words like “cancer” and “Alzheimer’s disease” pop up. While sweat marks and body odor aren’t a cute look by any means, vanity is not worth making yourself sick over.
Personally affected by the dangerous effects of antiperspirant, my friend Jena Scaccetti decided to take matters into her own hands. “I created a natural deodorant because I’m estrogen dominant and have endometriosis and fibroids. I’ve had surgery four times and when I found out I had a large fibroid earlier this year, I refused surgery and started working with a naturopath who told me to get rid of all my cosmetics and hair products that contained sulfates, parabens and aluminum,” explains Jena.
Here’s the thing to know about deodorant: you will sweat, so get comfortable with it. Antiperspirant (and thus aluminum) is what stops the sweating. But it’s actually really healthy for your body to sweat. Sweating releases toxins, like the 3 martinis you gulped down last night. Sure, blocking your sweat glands from their very purpose — to sweat it all out — keeps your shirts sweat-stain-free and your odor under wraps, but you’re also going against nature and a lifetime of this can be detrimental to your health.
So, let your body sweat, but make sure to mask the odor. That’s what deodorant does – it deodorizes your stink. Of course, some ingredients do this better than others — and you still want to check the label. Opt for an all-natural deodorant otherwise you’re, once again, allowing your body to ingest toxic materials instead of release them.
Jena’s all-natural, holistic deodorant is called Agent Nateur and will be available in stores in 2015. Until then, here’s our list of the best all natural deodorants. Stay safe and pleasantly scented with one of these healthy options:
1. L’Occitane Refreshing Aromatic Deodorant ($18) – This roll-on deodorant keeps you smelling fresh with lemon, cardamom, and eucalyptus essential oils, also eliminating toxins and impurities. Free of aluminum and parabens.
2. Lavanila The Healthy Deodorant ($14) – Comes in 5 delectable scents, all containing vanilla (vanilla lavender is the jam). “Soothing essential oils blend with beta-glucan technology fight odor effectively while soothing, conditioning, and nourishing the delicate underarm area.” 100 % natural and free of parabens and aluminum.
3. Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Deodorant ($10) – Formulated with Tea Tree Oil and Neem to help eliminate odor, and Lavender, Chamomile, and Aloe Vera to offer protection. It definitely has a more musky, raw scent, but the tea tree oil is a sweat saver (seriously). Aluminum free.
4. Jason Deodorant Stick Pure Natural Aloe Vera ($5) – A soothing all-natural option, aloe vera and vitamin E nourish, while zinc ricinoleate, corn starch and baking soda neutralize and grapefruit seed extract helps fight odor-causing bacteria. Free of aluminum and parabens.
5. Weleda Deodorant Spray in Wild Rose ($14) – Giving new meaning to “your sweat smells like roses,” Weleda’s spray deodorant will have you wanting to douse your entire body with the refreshing and rosy scented mist. Free of aluminum, synthetic fragrance, color, or preservatives and mineral oils.