Road to the Oscars: Nutrition
Oz Garcia, nutritionist to stars like Hilary Swank, Kim Cattrall, Wynona Ryder and Heidi Klum, dishes on how to get — and keep — that red carpet body.
Follow these simple steps to look and feel your best for a big day, with a sample menu and foods to snack on:
7pm- Get a massage to reduce bloat, tone muscles and help relax the body. Massage reduces levels of the stress hormone cortisol, while boosting the feel-good hormones serotonin and dopamine. This will also help lull you to slumber.
11pm- Go to sleep- you need to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night to recharge your brain and reset your internal metabolic clock.
7am- Wake up and go for a 40 minute jog or brisk walk OUTSIDE- you need the sunlight for Vitamin D so you can release dopamine into your system- an instant energy boost with lasting effects, it motivates you to have a healthy day
8am- Have Greek yogurt with berries and prepare yourself a giant pitcher of water with lemon (to flush out extra bloat) that you will have on hand all morning
9am- The glam squad arrives, discuss the look for the day over green tea
11am- Before makeup is done, have a salad with 4oz of lean protein and another cup of green tea
1pm- The dress is about to go on, grab a fistful of almonds to stave off hunger for the next 4 hours
2:30pm- Indulge in a square of dark chocolate in the limo- packed with anti-oxidants, this treat helps you to not feel deprived going into the big event. Now you won’t be tempted by the first thing you see!
You have to be militant about cutting out ALL wheat products (not carbs, but wheat.) This will help speed up your metabolism, bring down bloat and increase energy. It’s the quickest and easiest way to get lean.
Instead of having a few large meals throughout the day, eat six small meals. Breaking your diet down into small meals will help regulate blood sugar and keep you from feeling too hungry at any point during the day
1. Greek yogurt with berries
2. Hard-boiled egg or some nuts (almonds)
3. Large salad with 4 oz of lean animal protein (fish, chicken or turkey)
4. High protein whey shake
5. Dinner with lots of vegetables sautéed in olive oil with 4 oz of fish
6. Dark chocolate 70% to 80% pure coco
Lots of water
Four cups of green tea daily
A glass of wine at night
Breaking down the foods:
1. It’s great for digestion
2. Calcium, protein and vitamin B2
3. Great for your immune system
1. Antioxidants- makes your skin look great
2. Good sugars- power your body and brain
1. Protein/ Amino Acids (the building blocks of muscle)
2. Choline- helps regulate the brain, nervous system and cardiovascular system
3. Vitamin D
4. Sulphur- hair, nails and eyes
4. Chicken breast
6. Some cheeses
1. Builds muscle
2. Boosts immune function
3. Appetite suppressant
1. Excellent antioxidant
1. Vitamin E and contains more calcium than any other nut
2. Almonds are also incredible in the fact they help you feel fuller longer, which can be a huge aid in any weight loss plan at any time of day