NYFW A/W 2014: The Graphic Eye
One of the biggest beauty trends thus far to strut down the NYFW runways, is the graphic lined eye. Think of it as the cat eye — on crack. Thick, smudged, dramatic graphic lines above and below the lash line make the eye the focal point. Whether you choose to do a reverse cat eye (like at Nicholas K), a smudged dark lower line (like at Tome – James Boehmer, NARS Director of Global Artistry, says of the look: “The beauty muse was the Iranian artist Shirin Neshat and we specifically wanted to capture the spirit of how she wore her eyeliner.”), or an over exaggerated, flirty 60s inspired feline eye (like at Rag & Bone), one thing is certain: black eyeliner will be your best friend come fall.
Here, 5 of our favorite eyeliners:
1. Dolce & Gabbana Glam Liner Intense Liquid Eyeliner ($34) – a richly pigmented liquid liner that glides on with its thin paintbrush-like applicator.
2. Lancome Artliner Precision Point Eye Liner ($30) – A pen-like, pigmented liquid liner.
3. Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner ($20) – One of my favorites, the felt tip pen applicator makes for easy application.
4. MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack ($16) – Another favorite, this gel formula gives precise application while offering a softer finish than your average liquid liner.
5. Tom Ford Eye Defining Pencil in Onyx ($36) – One of the smoothest pencils that has ever touched my eye. A classic kohl liner with an ultra malleable tip that allows for easy application and beautiful smudges.
TIP: Apply different types of eyeliner and layer over one another to create various effects. For example, start with a pencil and smudge, then layer a liquid liner to create a bold, precise line. Feel free to play with all variations!