July 4th Beauty Essentials

how to
By July 2, 2016 70 Comments

July 4th Beauty Essentials

It’s finally here: July 4th. Parties, bbq’s, bonfires, and fireworks! Basically, it’s an entire weekend devoted to debauchery.

So, it’s sweltering hot, you’re two drinks deep and you’ve got another 9 hours of party time to go. The last thing you want to be worrying about is frizzy hair and blotchy skin.

Here are some tips for enjoying the long days (and fun-filled nights) while still maintaining your goddess status. Here are July 4th Beauty Essentials:

1 – Wear Sunscreen. That’s a given. But, like an pestering mother, I needed to remind you. July 4th will come and go, but sun damage and wrinkles will last a life time. Pick one of my natural sunscreen recommendations by clicking here.

2 – Try a braid or loose bun to keep hair in place and off of your face. It’s hot out there, no need to have a long, billowing mane of hair to make you hotter. Plus, braids are super trendy and always spice up a look. Click here to watch the video for a 2 minute chignon tutorial and here for the video of milkmaid braids, two great July 4th summer styles!

3 – Stain those lips and cheeks. I’ve been saying it all spring and summer. Stains are the way to go when outside for hours on end. They don’t melt, stay in place, and give a natural, no-makeup effect. Some favorites: CoverGirl Outlast Lip Stain ($8), Benefit Benetint, Vincent Longo Lip & Cheek Gel Stain ($23). Click here for a video on how to turn your favorite lipstick into a lip stain.

4 – Nails and toes should be manicured and painted with a bright color that doesn’t interfere with your clothing! I always go for red. It works with every outfit. Essie A-List ($9) is my go-to. Trendy colors are fun, but they can clash with your ensemble… take note!

5 – Waterproof mascara is a must. Anything else will flake or smear in the heat.

6 – Your skin is bound to get sweaty. Don’t stress about it. Carry around blotting papers and deal with it! Tatcha ($12)makes beautiful oil control blotters that won’t ruin your makeup, or try Boscia blotting linens ($12).

7 – Primer is key. I know, I’m repeating myself, but better safe than shiny. Use a primer prior to makeup application. It’ll keep the goods on your face longer and help to reduce the shine factor. I’m really loving Jouer Anti-Blemish Matte Primer ($38) with salicylic acid, perfect for acne-prone skin. You can also use a BB cream for coverage plus hydration and oil production control. Try the oldie-but-goodie, and my personal favorite, Dr. Jart BB Cream ($34).

8 – Highlighter – Accentuate the cheekbones, brow bones, decollete, and cupid’s bow with a cream or liquid illuminizer to increase your golden skin tone and that inner glow. Try RMS Living Luminizer ($38) or Jouer Highlighter in Champagne ($22), for a slight rose gold shimmer that pairs perfectly with a sun-kissed bronzed hue.

Have a very happy and safe Fourth of July…