was successfully added to your cart.

Hrush’s Makeup Tips For A Flawless Complexion

how tomakeup
By September 10, 2018 No Comments

Hrush’s Makeup Tips For A Flawless Complexion

Celebrity makeup artist, Hrush Achemyan, knows how to create a flawless complexion. She’s worked her makeup magic on the Kardashians, the Jenners, and Shay Mitchell, to name a few. She also gives some seriously good complexion perfection on her on face. too. So when Hrush offered to give me some tips for faking a flawless complexion with the help of a few trusted makeup products, I said, “yes, please,” and then I watched and listened very, very carefully.

Here’s what I learned from my one-on-one complexion master class:

1. The BeautyBlender is everything. And the trick is to use it wet, squeeze it out, and pat onto skin to blend in any traces of makeup lines. Hrush had me apply It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream Oil-Free Matte with SPF 40 to my face by dabbing it on with the BeautyBlender. More on the BeautyBlender later, but, literally, it’s a face-changer.

2. Speaking of matte formulas, I’ve been using foundations that are a bit too creamy and glowy, not matte enough. Big mistake. My combination skin works way better with a matte formula: it looks more seamless, airbrushed, and definitely more even-toned. For example, I looked at a photo of my skin with another non-matte foundation, and two hours into the night, my face looked entirely blotchy. But with the It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream Oil-Free Matte with SPF 40, it really kept my skin appearing more flawless and even. This is also thanks to using a setting powder (which I haven’t done in ages because I just figured my bronzer would do the same — not so). The Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder, another product that Hrush turned me onto, is key to keeping blotchiness at bay. Not only does it set the entire look, it also absorbs any excess shine and oil — even if you’re not yet shiny at that exact moment. I make sure to avoid apply near my eyes, as powder under the eyes can seep into tiny lines and exacerbate them. Other than that, a translucent setting powder — also applied with the BeautyBlender, I’d like to add, — really gives you that professional makeup artist even-toned look.

3. When using concealer, let it sit on the skin for a few minutes so that the consistency becomes tacky, then blend in. It’ll have longer staying power and better coverage. We used Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Custard in place of a highlighter. It lightens up areas you want to pop, like under the eyes, bridge of nose, forehead, but doesn’t add any shimmer. Because, as I learned, matte skin is in. I also used this concealer on dark spots (i.e. zits!) and dabbed with my finger, before setting with the Laura Mercier powder. Although Hrush recommended that I use a color corrector for the dark spots, I’m lazy and, honestly, the Nars concealer seemed to do the trick.

4. For skin types that tend to veer towards blotchiness (raises hand), apply a mineral loose powder foundation on top of the setting powder. This was key to creating an even-toned complexion for me. Hrush suggested Youngblood Mineral Cosmetics Natural Mineral Loose Foundation in Tawnee. It is a foundation, so it’ll add coverage, but since it’s a powder, it’ll also absorb excess shine. Hrush says it creates a veil to cover up texture issues. “I put it on with the kabuki brush, then Beauty Blend it to insure flawless application; no streaks or lines a brush could’ve left behind.” So, I did as she said, and my skin had beautiful, healthy color — perhaps even a glow (!!!) — with zero shine. The kabuki brush Hrush used was the Japonesque Kumadori Blending Brush, which is also used for the next step…

5. Bronzer: With so many options, it’s difficult to find that perfect sun-kissed shade that won’t look fake or cakey or shimmery (opt for a matte formula, naturally). Hrush suggested Smashbox Bronzer in Suntan Matte. The single is sadly no longer available, but you can still get this shade in the Smashbox Ablaze Face Palette in Suntan. The color is perfection: an actual sun tan in a powder. I’m obsessed. We used the Japonesque Kumadori Blending Brush to apply the bronzer around and into the hairline, below cheekbones, and on the jaw line. Then, of course, we used our trusted BeautyBlender to get rid of makeup brush lines.

6. The final step to a flawless made up complexion is highlighter, because even though we’re going for the matte skin texture, we still want a hint of shimmering reflection, in the right places, of course. We used Barbara Sturm’s Glow Drops and dabbed a bit onto cheekbones. The consistency of the Glow Drops allows it to sink into the skin seamlessly. It doesn’t leave any streaks; in fact, it actually breaks up harsh lines created by bronzers and blushes. And it leaves behind the perfect amount of glow.

Yes, we used a bit of blush – a pinkish shade for a natural flush look. Hrush dabs the blush on the apples of the cheeks with the Japonesque Kumadori Contour & Highlighting Brush. She doesn’t swipe it on, which actually gives the color a more natural effect. She also swipe a bit onto the top of the forehead, at the hairline, and on the eyelids. This brings the entire face together. And then, of course, she finished with the BeautyBlender, blending away any remnants of streaking.

The result is a made up face that doesn’t look crazy made up. Texture that is soft and smooth. Skin tone that is even and ever-so-slighly contoured. Streak-free and fabulously matte. I’ve gotta say, I’m living for a matte face from here on out!

Shop The Post: