How To Get Better Skin: Vitamin C
Vitamin C is one of our favorite beauty ingredients because it achieves three very important complexion goals: lightening, tightening, and brightening. Ideal for a myriad of skincare issues including sun damage, acne scaring, collagen depletion, and aging concerns, vitamin C is like a cure-all for the face (just like it is for the immune system).
Even if you’ve been blessed with the genetic lottery and boast a flawless complexion, a vitamin C serum should still be a part of your daily skincare regimen because of its anti-aging and preventative abilities. After all, even the most porcelain of complexions can benefit from an extra bit of brightening – and tightening – right? In fact, vitamin C gives everyone better skin, seriously.
When using a vitamin C serum, apply post wash and pre moisturizer. Let it soak into the skin for a couple of minutes before moving on with your routine (brush your teeth or floss to kill time). While you can use vitamin C AM and PM, we recommend using it in the AM because vitamin C actually works with your SPF to offer optimal sun protection (thanks to its abundance of antioxidants).
While Vitamin C is most potent in a serum or powder, it can also be found in brightening moisturizers, enzyme peels, and face washes.
If you’re not using vit C, start today, your post-summer skin will thank you. Here are some of our favorites:
1. Obagi Professional-C Serum 10% ($77) – This deeply penetrating serum comes in three strengths – 10%, 15%, and 20% (definitely start with the 10%; it’s potent and results are practically instantaneous). One of my favorite vit C serums of late, this stuff does it all – lighten, tightens, and brightens – without irritating skin or depleting it of moisture. In fact, it leaves the complexion dewy and luminous.
2. Natura Bisse C+C Vitamin Cream ($125) – The end-all-be-all for drier skin types concerned with aging, this vitamin C-packed cream helps to restore skin elasticity, tone, and firmness while adding serious moisture.
3. Murad Intensive C Radiance Peel ($55) – One of my longtime favorite at-home peels, this stuff really cleans out clogged pores and sloughs away dead skin while leaving the complexion soft, smooth, and beautifully bright and radiant.
4. Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum ($80) – Firms, brightens, and reverses photo aging, this potent, all-natural good-for-you serum is packed with antioxidants and nutrients to nourish, lighten, brighten, and protect the complexion.
5. Joanna Vargas Vitamin C Face Wash ($40) – Celebrity facialist Joanna Vargas has concocted an extremely gentle yet effective wash full of vitamin C to leave skin clean, smooth, and brightened, while hyaluronic acid offers lightweight moisture to plump and revitalize the complexion. Pure cleansing perfection.
6. Paula’s Choice Resist C15 Super Booster ($49) – Improve skin tone, brighten the complexion, and ward of environmental stressors with this super-charged booster that can be mixed into any moisturizer or serum of your choosing. A simple and effective way to get your daily vit C.
*Make your own DIY Lightening and Brightening Lemon Toner here. Face-changing!
Shop The Post: