Face Value: The Emmy’s 2013

Award season has officially begun! Like Christmas is September. The 65th Primetime Emmy’s red carpet showed a wide display of beauty looks from the classic glam to the not-so-glamorous. Staple trends included the retro waves, signature red lips and the standard dark eyes, nude pout. But, as with all award shows, there are winners and there are losers – even when it comes to hair and makeup.

Click on the slideshow above to see our breakdown of best and worst faces from Emmy 2013.

Anna Faris – Eeks, that shade of bleached blonde is blinding me! Too much eyes, too much lip, too much peroxide. Not a fan of this look but still have crazy love for Anna.

Anna Gunn – Wow! She’s smoking (gun reference intended). I like how she kept it sophisticated but still age appropriate. The makeup doesn’t overwhelm, it enhances. And I’m actually really digging this updo (and I’m not a fan of the red carpet undo).

Claire Danes – This is the first I’ve seen of the bob and… the jury’s still out. I can’t tell if I like it or find it a bit too high fashion for the girl-next-door. I do think that Claire cleans up really well and she fits the red carpet part of girl-gone-glam. Classy Claire.

Connie Britton – I have such a girl crush on Ms. Britton. Her hair is AH-MAZING (always!). Thick, shiny, ginger locks. And the retro waves work well for the actress, especially paired with her signature nude lip and mega lashes.

January Jones – I’ve said this several times – nobody does Mad Men glam quite like J.Jones. That red lip, 60s hair, done up to perfection. She’s the queen of era’s past. Sometimes, January can look a bit off on the red carpet but last night, I think she killed it. Love that she kept the hair glam with the side part and retro waves. The makeup is interesting and I had to look at it several times before coming to the decision that it’s awesome. A rose smokey eye with bright white inner corners? A classic gone futuristic!

Kate Mara – This is my favorite beauty look of the evening. That sleek hair (the length is genius), parted on the side, brushed straight to perfection. The makeup! Flawless skin, beautiful arches, nude lip and the best smokey eye I’ve seen in a long, long time. It’s classic makeup meets contemporary hair and it works!

Lena Dunham – Green eye makeup to match her green dress? Uh… NO. Love you, though.

Lily Rabe – This is like attack of the bleach bottle. That blonde is so, so blonde. Paired with the dark eye and even darker lip, it’s like an angry, aggressive face that wants to attack my eyes. Tone it all down and this would’ve worked.

Mindy Kaling – Another killer updo that I’m really into! And her classic dark, smokey eye and nude lip give Mindy major glam points. There’s nothing funny about this look – it’s fab (okay, that was the worst attempt at a joke… ever)!

Rose Byrne – OBSESSED with this hair! Although I love the actress with her natural chestnut locks, I am definitely not mad at the golden highlights. And the length is perfect for this season’s trendy lob (long bob). Harry Josh (hair stylist extraordinaire) created quite the glam ‘do: side part, loose curls and some added volume for good measure. Rose always wears a great smokey eye, but last night’s mauve-pink lips were the ideal pairing (as opposed to a completely bare pout which would have washed out the new hair hue).

Taylor Schilling – Doesn’t she clean up nicely! I hardly recognized Taylor without the orange jumpsuit. She followed red carpet protocol to a T. Side part, check. Glam waves, check. Red lips, check. Lashes, lashes, and more lashes… check.