was successfully added to your cart.

Face Masks To Fix It All

Having an unplanned breakout? Face mask it. Skin looking a bit dull and lackluster? Face mask it. Having a bad day? Face mask it. It’s true, face masks seem to fix it all, and they’re trending on social media…how many have we bought because of Instagram? We plead the fifth.

Face masks have come a long way from the green stuff our moms used, and they are true skin saviors. Face masks have the benefit of targeted, potent treatment, tackling everything from acne and oily skin to redness and wrinkles. But not all face masks are made the same and not all skin types are the same (obviously). So how do we know what formulations we should be using?

We did some research and divided the results for the most common skin issues and the best masks to use for each. You’re welcome.

Oily & Acne-Prone

Clay masks work best on acne and oily skin because they absorb excess oil and draw out impurities, helping to clear acne and tighten enlarged pores. Also look for ingredients like sulfur and charcoal. Peel off masks are also a good choice, as they remove dead skin cells and unclog pores immediately.

Try:
Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay ($9)
Bare Minerals Dirty Detox Skin Glowing & Refining Mud Mask ($35)
Glam Glow Supermud Clearing Treatment ($59)
Boscia Luminizing Black Charcoal Mask ($34)

Dry, Dehydrated, & Dull

Dry skin needs some TLC, opt for water-based and gel masks which inject the skin with serious moisture. Sheet masks and creamy formulas are also great for dry skin.

Try:
Farmacy Honey Potion Renewing Antioxidant Hydration Mask ($56)
Caudalie Moisturizing Mask ($39)
Lumene Hydration Recovery Aerating Gel Mask ($15)
First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Mask ($24)
Laneige Water Sleeping Mask ($25)

Life hack: Straight up raw honey (manuka honey is the best), is an amazing mask with multi-purpose benefits, gently exfoliating the skin with enzymes, soothing acne, and leaving skin soft and moisturized. And it works for all skin types!

Sensitive & Itchy

Red, itchy, allergy-prone skin requires gentle and soothing ingredients. DIY (try this one) masks are good because they’re made with natural stuff that won’t irritate the skin. Look for hypo-allergenic masks with natural, skin-calming ingredients like oatmeal and chamomile.

Try:
Fresh Rose Face Mask ($62)
Kiehl’s Calendula & Aloe Soothing Hydration Mask ($45)
Ren Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask ($38)

Mature, Aging Skin

Steer clear of clay masks which can be too harsh and drying on aging skin, other than that any mask is good as long as it’s got the right stuff. Look for anti-aging ingredients like hyaluronic acid, retinol, and vitamin C.

Try:
Mario Badescu Super Collagen Mask ($18)
Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle 24k Gold Intense Wrinkle Sheet Mask ($68)
La Mer The Lifting and Firming Mask ($250)

Combination

Combo skin types are said to be those with an oily T-zone and either dry or “normal” elsewhere. We like to think of combination skin as those with multiple skin concerns, don’t we all? Try double-masking, yes, it’s a thing. Apply different masks to the skin, based on the given skin issue. For example, use a clay mask on an oily T-zone only, and a brightening mask everywhere else. Or try back-to-back masking, i.e. start with a clarifying mask to tackle zits and bumpy skin, then follow with a honey mask to soothe it all!

Claudia Mercado is a beauty enthusiast and writer, read more here