Trend: Texture For Fall

Messy, beachy, bed head, textured hair has been a trend since Alexa Chung hit the MTV airwaves back in 2009 with her perfectly undone bob. Lucky for us (and by “us” we are referring to everyone who keeps their mane maintenance rather low), this look is still the style to covet for fall. While we’re rather excited about textured tresses remaining the “cool” girls trend of choice, fall 2014 texture is somewhat more sophisticated and manipulated than season’s past. Meaning, texturizing products are encouraged when creating this season’s undone / done ‘do.

Celebrity hairstylist Christine Symonds, whose clients include Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting and Hailee Steinfeld, explains that this season’s textured hair is “anything from a slight bend or intentional crease to a ton of movement and wave in the hair.” Symonds adds that “usually texture refers to a more undone, natural pattern rather than a curl.” So, for you kinky curled ladies, you’ll want to straighten then bend. See, there is a method to the madness that is messy, undone hair.

“The best way to achieve this look is to spray damp hair with a sea salt spray and scrunch the hair from the ends up to your roots,” notes Symonds. “Do not comb out, instead let hair air dry. If more texture is desired, twist strands in to loose buns and bobby pin while letting dry – or dry with blow dryer. Once hair is dry, spray with a texture spray.”

Christine Symonds Texturizing Product Picks:
1. Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray ($5) – I love using this in damp hair and saturating the entire head of hair with the spray. It smells amazing and gives great beachy texture as the hair dries naturally.
2. R+CO ROCKAWAY Salt Spray ($25) – I love using this spray on dry hair to activate texture. Just scrunch the product in the hair. It has a nice even mist that adds grit to hair.
3. Garnier Fructis Texture Tease ($4) – I love using this product on the roots to create volume. I spray it down the entire shaft of the hair to build even more texture and body.
4. Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray ($42) – This product is my go-to on any shoot or second day hair styling! It’s the perfect blend of hairspray and dry shampoo. It doesn’t leave any residue on the hair and removes all oils from the scalp. I use this from roots to ends.

Editor’s Pick: Serge Normant Dream Big ($25) – If you want weightless volume that gives way to undone, piecey strands, then this is the product to purchase. It’ll give you that magical mix of Cindy Crawford (circa 1990s) volume and Mary Kate Olsen’s messiness. In other words, it’s perfectly textured hair in a bottle.