10 Universal Beauty Hacks
Magic is an interesting word. It’s actual definition is: “The power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces.” While beauty and skincare products aren’t – by definition – magical, some superstar items certainly have the potential to produce such mysterious results.
Here, 10 of our favorite universal beauty hacks and the products used to achieve a quick overhaul:
1. Whiter teeth: Use a blue-based red lipstick to instantly make teeth look brighter and whiter. This trick works for all skin tones.
BUY: Nyx Cosmetics Matte Lipstick in Eden ($6)
2. Larger eyes: Dab a white shimmer shadow (cream or powder) on inner corners of eyes to give the illusion of bigger, brighter eyes.
BUY: Make Up For Ever Diamond Powder in White 1, a shimmery white powder ($25)
3. Flyaways: Use a dryer sheet to tame uncontrollable stray, static hairs. Yes, it really works, and it gives hair a beautiful scent!
BUY: Bounce Fresh Linen Fabric Softener Sheets ($8)
4. Dark circles: Use a peach-toned corrector under concealer; peach cancels out the blue.
BUY: Bobbi Brown Corrector in Peach ($25)
5. Brow Lift: If you’re feeling like your arches are a bit horizontal, use a non-shimmer highlighter above your brow for an instant lift. Draw the arch, then gently blend. It’ll also open the entire eye.
BUY: Too Faced Instant Attitude Brow Lift ($20)
6. Plumper Pout: Use peppermint oil on lips to momentarily “swell” them, thus making that pucker plumper (and glossier!). Combine a dab of the oil with your favorite lip gloss for an all-natural Angelina Jolie mouth.
BUY: Essential Oil Labs Peppermint Oil ($13)
7. Mascara Marks: If your mascara leaves a raccoon eye effect after application, use a translucent powder under eyes (and even on brow bone) to matte the skin. It’ll stop mascara marks in their tracks!
BUY: Rodial Instaglam Compact Deluxe Transluscent HD Powder ($57)
8. Covering up blemishes – Use a green-toned corrector to cancel out the red, then apply a dab of concealer (by pressing in with a sponge or brush like this). Finish with a light sweep of translucent powder to lock it all in.
BUY: Smashbox Color Correcting Stick in Green ($23)
9. Vibrant Shadow: To keep your shadow shades bold and beautiful, apply a white eyeliner on your lid – from crease to lash line. Make sure it’s totally blended, so choose a liner that blends effortlessly. Then apply your shadows on top. The white eyeliner acts as a neutralizer and a primer, so shadows appear more true-to-color and last longer.
BUY: Rimmel Soft Kohl Kajal Eye Liner Pencil in Pure White ($3)
10. Bushier brows: Use a tinted brow gel and apply from tail to tip first, then reverse. This will create volume while simultaneously adding color to sparse areas.
BUY: Benefit Gimme Brow Volumizing Fiber Gel ($24)