Choosing the perfect red to suit your complexion can be complicated, we get it. So, here’s a quick breakdown of how to find the right red for your skin tone. Tan, olive, and deeper skin tones look ravishing in orange-based reds, while fair and light complexions will pop in a blue-red. Medium complexions, a la Emmy Rossum can really go with either blue or orange-reds. And then, of course, there’s a classic red, which is equal parts orange and red and is considered to be universally flattering. So, now you know the rules, but have fun breaking them. If dark and dramatic reds are your thing, go for it! Lupita Nyong’o looks gorgeous in deeper reds, while fair-skinned beauty Kate Bosworth livens up her pout in orange-reds rather often. It really is a personal choice, so some trial-and-error may be necessary.
Luckily, you can explore varying shades of red on a budget with our guide to some of the most fabulous red lipsticks, all for under $10.
Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate in My Little Black Dress ($5) – A bold and universal classic red inspired by Kate Moss.
L’Oreal Colour Riche Collection Exclusive Lipcolour in Zoe’s Red ($4) – A deep, blue-red for added drama.
Revlon Ultra HD Lipstick in Poppy ($4) – A fire engine orange-red.
NYX Matte Lipstick in Perfect Red ($6) – A crimson red that is, well, pretty perfect.
e.l.f. Moisturizing Lipstick in Razzle Dazzle Red ($3) – A blue-red that packs a dramatic punch.
Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Red Lacquer ($9) – A classic red for every skin tone.
CoverGirl Colorlicious Lipstick in Hot ($8) – As the name suggests, this is a hot cherry-red shade.
NYX Round Case Lipstick in Chaos ($4) – A bright blue-red hue.
Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick, Kate Moss Collection in 111 ($5) – Another Kate Moss-inspired red, this time in an orange-red finish.
Neutrogena Moisture Smooth Lipstick in Classic Red ($8) – Equal parts blue and organs-red, this is a classic color for every skin tone. Formula is more subtle than dramatic.
Shop The Post:
For tips on how to make your red lipstick last all night, click here.
Who doesn’t relish a beauty deal? Sure, there are certain products that require shelling out some serious cash (like your retinol face creams and your designer fragrances), but then there are other products that have a short shelf life, so you are required to repeat purchase. Mascara is one of those. Considering that the life of a mascara is around 3 months – sometimes shorter depending on how many times you use it in a day – and that new formulas are constantly being introduced, this is the ideal product to purchase at drugstore prices. After all, we all like options, and when it comes to mascara, there never is a “perfect” formula which means it’s all about trial-and-error. Here, the best mascaras for under $10. Stock up!
1. CoverGirl The Super Sizer Mascara ($7) – This new launch contains the coveted CoverGirl mascara formula with a thin rubber-bristled brush to coat the tiniest of hairs. Opt for the waterproof as it is ideal for summer’s heat and humidity. In fact, this is the best lower lash mascara… it really gets every hair without ever streaking or flaking.
2. Rimmel London Lash Accelerator Mascara ($9) – Lashes immediately look longer and, thanks to the natural GROW-LASH Complex, daily use will have lashes actually growing longer within 30 days! The thin-bristled brush helps to elongate and separate in a single shimmy of the wand.
3. L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Washable Mascara ($8) – The amazing wing tip brush lengthens, stretches, and volumizes every single lash, giving the effect of a butterfly taking flight. Gorgeous lashes equal gorgeous eyes.
4. L’Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes Excess Mascara ($9) – The coveted Millionizer brush is bigger and better to lengthen and separate lashes from root to tip. The built-in anti-clump wiper makes sure that your fringe is clump-free and all volume.
5. Physicians Formula Organic Wear Fake Out Mascara ($10) – Lengthens and curls with an all-natural formula, this mascara is the first ever to contain 100% natural origin lash extension fibers for the look of falsies… without the chemicals.
6. Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara ($7) – An uber-glossy formula that gives lashes volume and shine. The fanning brush coats lashes from all sides and angles, giving your fringe the ultimate fanned out, wide-eyed effect.
7. Nyx Cosmetics Provocateur Boudoir Mascara ($6) – Two levels and tow brushes for building and volumizing and then separating and declumping. These lashes are long and dramatic with 24 hours of smudge-free formula (perfect to wear in the boudoir, naturally).
*To read our last list of best drugstore mascaras for under $10, click here.
Living a natural life can seem difficult, especially when it comes to affordable makeup and skincare. But that doesn’t mean impossible… and we love a good challenge! Brands are finally hearing our cries to create products that are good for our skin and body, without being toxic. We’ve rounded up 10 natural beauty products that need to be incorporated into your makeup and skincare routine today. Alas, healthy ingredients that won’t break the bank.
Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm ($5) – A fan favorite, consider this the all-natural version of the Fresh cult classic Tinted Sugar Lip Treatments ($24). For the pout that enjoys hydration and a hint of hue, look no further.
Yes To Tomatoes Clear Skin Deep Pore Scrub ($6) – When it comes to exfoliation, oily and acne-prone skin types can do no wrong with this salicylic acid-based scrub. Gentle yet effective, blackheads are obliterated while skin is left clean and clear. In fact, the entire line is an ideal choice for acneic skin, with an ideal price tag!
Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Soap in Lavender ($11) – This natural body wash invigorates the senses with certified organic oils and essential oils that’ll leave your body clean and oh-so soft.
Avalon Organics Hand & Body Lotion, Revitalizing Peppermint ($8) – Our love for this organic body treat knows no bounds – it absorbs quickly into the skin, hydrates, and leaves a lingering peppermint scent. Plus, it’s great for super hot and balmy days and nights as the peppermint is a natural cooling agent to calm and cool off the body.
Yes To Carrots Super Rich Body Butter ($9) – If your skin requires a more intense hydration, the Yes To range offers this uniquely satisfying body butter. It’s thick, creamy, 98% natural, and the subtle scent is equal parts sweet and rich. Our bodies drinks this cream right up!
Desert Essence Natural Tea Tree Oil Facial Cleansing Pads ($8) – We heart a great on-the-go cleansing pad (like for after the gym!), and this one just so happens to effectively ward off dirt and grime while leaving skin clear and radiant. Tea tree oil is one of the best natural antiseptics, so it’s ideal for combination, oily, and acne-prone skin. Use on your chest and back, too.
Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel ($9) – In our humble opinion, this is the very best toner on the market (and it just so happens to be affordable, too). The non-alcohol formula means it’s safe for sensitive skin, and it’s a must for oily to combination skin types.
Burt’s Bees Intense Hydration Eye Cream ($18) – This 99% all-natural eye cream delivers health and effective ingredients to hydrate the delicate eye area while working its magic on fine lines and wrinkles. Great for dry and sensitive skin types.
Acure Argan Oil with Rose ($13) – A serious treat for skin – and the senses – this luxurious oil can be used on face and body to aid in fine lines and wrinkles and reducing the appearance of scars and stretch marks. The intoxicating natural scent will make you want to skip your perfume.
Physician’s Formula Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin Mascara ($10) – Its tough finding a natural/ organic mascara, even tougher finding one with a price tag under $10… but Physician’s Formula is, by far, the best all-natural drugstore mascara on the market. It lengthens, volumizes, and defines lashes without harsh chemicals. Love your lashes and they’ll love you back.
Shop The Post:
We’re always on the hunt for a beauty bargain. So, when we began scouring the web for the best drugstore lipstick colors favored by our favorite celebs, we were ecstatic to find nudes, berries, and reds that made the list. Here are 8 great drugstore lipstick colors to buy today.
Makeup artist Patrick Ta created the perfect coral pout for Gigi Hadid’s recent red carpet appearance at iHeartRadio Much Music Video Awards by mixing these two drugstore hues: Maybelline’s Loaded Bold Lipstick in Orange Danger ($7) and Smoking Red ($7).
Makeup artist Monika Blunder tells Refinery29 that she uses Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm in Ingenue ($7) on celeb clients Behati Prinsloo and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley. “It looks so natural on the lips and stays on like a stain,” she says. “The color payoff is great, and the formula is super-easy to apply.”
Rihanna’s makeup bag must-have is none other than CoverGirl Wetslicks Gloss in Watermelon Splash ($10). The bold bubble gum pink shade is fun and feminine. Buying ASAP.
L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Last Color ($13) is a favorite of J.Lo, Naomi Watts, and Julianne Moore. J.Lo has sported Timeless Rose on the red carpet. The pastel pink hue pops against tanned skin. Naomi Watts is a fan of Violet Parfait to give her pout a pop of plum, while Julianne Moore’s fair skin finds Raisin Revival suitable for a bit of berry.
Rita Ora loves herself a classic red lip, thanks to Rimmel London Exaggerate Automatic Lip Liner in Red Diva ($7) and Rimmel Lasting Finish Matte Lipstick by Kate Moss in 111 ($5).
Many women are under the misconception that beautiful hair has to break the bank. Totally false. As long as you are diligent about your ingredient list (steer clear of sulfates, parabens, and the like), you can find amazing hair products for a fraction of the price of expensive favorites like Oribe, Kerastase, and Fekkai.
Here are a few of our favorite drugstore hair products, all under $10:
1. Sauve Professionals Dry Shampoo Spray ($6) – Who isn’t a sucker for dry shampoo (second day hair happens to be better than freshly washed)? This totally affordable drugstore find rivals the expensive ones. It sprays clear and gives great volume!
2. Pantene Pro-V Medium-Thick Style Heat Protection & Shine Spray ($5) – If you’re a fan of hot tools, then you need this product. Not only is it affordable, but it’ll leave your strands soft, shiny, and protected.
3. Nature’s Gate Herbal Daily Cleansing Shampoo ($6) – An inexpensive, pH balanced, all-natural shampoo that cleans without stripping color. And it’s sulfate-free, so no carcinogens here!
4. L’Oreal Paris EverStrong Reconstructing Conditioner ($7) – Sulfate-free conditioner that adds nourishment, shine, and moisture to damaged hair. The rosemary mint scent is the perfect way to start your day. The complimenting EverStrong Sulfate-Free Shampoo is worth the under $10 price tag as well.
5. Yes To Baby Carrots Shampoo and Body Wash ($8) – This is a gentle yet effective everyday shampoo that doubles as a body wash! Safe enough for your baby, but good enough for you. And it’s subtle, sweetly delish smells makes it a treat, without any calories.
6. Garnier Fructis Style Sleek & Shine Anti-Humidity Hairspray, Ultra Strong ($4) – A hairspray that tames frizzies while giving great hold… without feeling stiff or hard. A steal, indeed!
7. Alba Botanica Hawaiian So Smooth Anti – Frizz Serum Gardenia ($8) – A healthy, natural, weightless serum that tames flyaways. Argan oil and plant-sourced keratin seal the cuticle to give strands optimal shine.