Category:  Uncategorized

May Box_Front View_Rectangle

Giveaway: GLOSSYBOX “Beauty Around the World”

By | Uncategorized | 63 Comments

Beauty Banter has teamed up with Glossybox to offer 2 winners a box full of worldly beauty goodies (retail value is $184). Glossybox is the newest way to fix your beauty cravings – sign up at www.glossybox.com and every month your will receive a box full of the most sought after beauty products directly at your door step.

This month’s products, up for grabs through our exclusive contest, are:

Amore Pacific Moisture Bound Refreshing Hydra-Gel (South Korea)
Burberry Lip Mist Natural Sheer Lipstick Copper No. 202 (UK)
Marvis Whitening Toothpaste (Italy)
Phyto Phytojoba Intense Hydrating Mask for Dry Hair (France)
Zoya Beach and Surf Collection Nail Polish (U.S.)

TO ENTER:
1. “Like” us on Facebook (click HERE)
2. Follow us on Twitter (click HERE)
3. Leave a comment below with your Facebook name and your Twitter handle. (ex: FB: Beautybanter.com / Twitter: @beautybanter).

Contest ends Friday, June 22, 2012 at 9pm EST. We will be choosing two winners, each will receive their own Glossybox.

**You MUST be a member of Beauty Banter to be eligible for the giveaway. Not a member? Sign up now! (Top right of the site where it says “become a member.” Enter your email and follow the brief directions.

All winners will be chosen at random. Every winner must be a fan on Beauty Banter’s Facebook, following Beauty Banter on twitter, and subscribed to Beauty Banter’s membership (top right of site). Yes, we do check!

Good Luck!

BIG PONY COLLECTION FOR WOMEN - Group Photo

GIVEAWAY: Ralph Lauren Big Pony Fragrance Collection

By | Uncategorized | 49 Comments

I love starting a Monday with a giveaway — 4 giveaways to be exact. We are teaming up with Ralph Lauren to offer 4 lucky winners a fill-size bottle of one of the new fragrances from the Big Pony Collection. Retail value: $280 (that’s $70 a bottle!).

The Big Pony Collection for women comes on the heels of the men’s Big Pony collection. It’s Ralph Lauren’s way of almost customizing fragrances based on a woman’s unique personality. The collection includes four fragrances, each with different notes to compliment the multifaceted woman for which it was designed for.

The Sporty Fragrance {Bottle #1}
This Flora Citrus scent features Grapefruit & Blue Lotus for a vibrant energetic fragrance that evokes confidence and energy while awakening the sense. Confident and fearless, the sporty woman is a natural born leader and ready to take on the world.

The Sensual Fragrance {Bottle #2}
A Floriental Fruity with the key ingredients of Cranberry & Tonka Mousse, this fragrance is for an alluring flirt with a romantic spirit. Playful and irresistible, this modern woman follows her heart…and she just might break yours.

The Free-Spirited Fragrance {Bottle #3}
Eccentric, rebellious and independent, this Floral Green fragrance highlights Pear & Mimosa. The crisp, bright scent represents ultimate optimism and natural feminine radiance for a woman who dances to the beat of her own drum.

The Stylish Fragrance {Bottle #4}
Edgy and refined, with a flair of the exotic, this Oriental Floral contains key ingredients of Wild Cherry & Purple Amber. Designed for the stylish woman, she catches the eye and imagination of anyone who crosses her path.

We are giving away one bottle of each fragrance from the collection!

TO ENTER:
1. “Like” us on Facebook (click HERE)
2. Follow us on Twitter (click HERE)
3. Leave a comment below with your Facebook name and your Twitter handle. (ex: FB: Beautybanter.com / Twitter: @beautybanter).

Contest ends Friday, June 8, 2012 at 9pm EST.

**You MUST be a member of Beauty Banter to be eligible for the giveaway. Not a member? Sign up now! (Top right of the site where it says “become a member.” Enter your email and follow the brief directions.

All winners will be chosen at random. Every winner must be a fan on Beauty Banter’s Facebook, following Beauty Banter on twitter, and subscribed to Beauty Banter’s membership (top right of site). Yes, we do check!

*And, very cool, One Republic partnered with Ralph Lauren for an exclusive release of their newest single, “Life in Color.” Watch the video for the Big Pony campaign + “Life in Color” here,  shot by the talented Bruce Weber.

Good Luck!

blue_eye_trend

Trend: Blue Is The New Black

By | trends, Uncategorized | 2 Comments

Every season I feel like I write a variation of this post, but this season more than any, blue really did take over the runways and I’m predicting it’s going to hit the streets in a big way. From Paul Costelloe’s vibrant teal lids to a more moody navy smoky eye at Rodarte to a pop of pastel on the creases at Creatures of the Wind, there are many ways to wear a blue eye and a myriad of variations on the shade to choose from.

Granted, blue is a hard color to pull off and the task can seem quite daunting but rest assured, there is a shade of blue for everyone (it’s how you wear you’re blue that counts). But the nice thing about blue is that it isn’t black. So even if you’re a bit too fearful of a bright pop of blue, a navy hue will do the trick (as seen at Rodarte), while still giving you the slightest hint of a midnight hue.

Pattie Boyd and Twiggy wearing a blue lid circa 1970s.

For those of you are who are still apprehensive about the trend, I asked celebrity makeup artist Robin Black for her advice on integrating blue into a wearable eye look. Here are Robin’s tips on the blue eye trend:

“There are a million shades of blue, from shocking neon to subtle navy and delicate eggshell. It’s a surprisingly easy color to wear but make sure you choose a shade that you feel comfortable experimenting with. If you typically avoid all bright colors and flinch at the sight of this spring’s extremely bright trends, ease yourself into it by trying out a deep navy.

Matte blue is more sophisticated than those with lots of sparkle – too much shimmer can read “little girl’ instead of spring fashion.

For a chic interpretation of Spring’s blue eye makeup, keep the rest of the face subtle. Natural looking skin with a subtle flush or sun kiss to the cheeks and nude lips are the perfect compliment to a bright eye palette.

Avoid being too matchy by wearing blue on both your clothes and eyes! Let your eyes be the statement and pair the look with neutrals or contrast it with opposing colors.

Add a warm colored concealer under your eye to cover up any darkness and to prevent the cool tone of the blue from emphasizing it.”

how_to_cat_eye_video

How To: Cat Eye

By | how to, Uncategorized | 5 Comments

(click “read more” for the how to video)

Cat Eye via Kristofer Buckle, celebrity makeup artist

Tools Needed: Thin eyeliner brush, black cream or gel eyeliner, thin angled synthetic brush, black eyeshadow, black eye pencil, mascara

What I Used: MAC 210 Precise Eyeliner Brush, MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack,MAC 266 Small Angle Brush, MAC Eye Shadow in Nehru, MAC Technakohl Liner in Graphblack, MAC Opulash in Bad, Bad Black

1. With a thin eyeliner brush and liquid or cream eyeliner create a line on the upper lid that is thinner at the inner corner & getting wider as it reaches the outer corner.
2. Using a thin angled synthetic brush, line under your eyes with eyeshadow again getting wider as it reaches outer corners and then smudge to soften the edge.
3. Using gel liner (or eyeshadow for softer look) make a wing on outer corner of eye. this will also connect the upper and lower lines.
4. Using a pencil line inner rim of eye adds intensity and depth.
5. Finish by applying several coats of thickening mascara on top and bottom lashes.

*Makeup courtesy of MAC Cosmetics

Screen Shot 2012-02-15 at 6.54.23 PM

Lifestyle Mirror

By | Uncategorized | 8 Comments

I’ve been doing this beauty thing for quite some time – over  half a decade (closer to a decade) now… and it’s with such great pleasure that I share my newest venture, beauty editor of the recently launched, shoppable magazine, Lifestyle Mirror. I am so proud of my section (click here to peruse beauty) – chock-full of beauty tips, product spotlights, how-to and DIY videos (featuring me!), and interviews with some of the top artists and stylists in the field. The highly curated site offers beautiful imagery coupled with indispensable beauty advice.

Please take a few moments to check it out. New content is uploaded every day so bookmark it as a daily read and make sure to watch the videos (new ones premiering weekly)!

On the site today: Daphne Guinness’s beauty favorites, how to create a modernized Jane Birkin face, favorite products containing rose hip, a tip about tending to your lashes courtesy of Gisele’s makeup artist, Rose Marie Swift, and a How To Video on achieving a Bold Lip (in 5 simple steps)!

And, if you feel so inclined:  tweet it, tumble it, stumble it, facebook it, pin it, pose it… etc, etc.

Of course, please leave your feedback and let me know what you like, don’t like, want to see more or less of…

www.lifestylemirror.com/beauty

LA Story: Beauty by Blushington

By | Uncategorized | 3 Comments

Working both online and in print, I have a mantra of sorts: I love social media but we need to lead social lives as well.

Sometimes the two paths intersect beautifully, like Monday night, when my friend Laura Tremaine, who writes Hollywood Housewife, threw a party at Blushington – quite possibly my new favorite place on earth. Or on Sunset, at least.

The concept is brilliant – a walk-in welcome salon made up of professional makeup artists who’ll make you over for an evening event or lunch with friends for $35. You can also add on options like airbrushing or lashes (faux, extensions, tinting and more).

Did I mention appointments aren’t necessary (though highly recommended for special occasions and Saturday nights)? For $35.

I’m a pushover for fabulous branding, and they had me at the blush pink beribboned logo featured on Laura’s invitation (loved the Dior vibe). Once there, I was truly impressed. From the wall of mirrors made from compacts to the Hollywood Regency feel that reminded me of the the beauty salons of once upon a time, in places like Bullocks Wilshire or George Cukor’s The Women.

They carry a highly curated line of products – Stila, Kevyn Aucoin, Julie Hewitt and Becca – less can be more and still offer a multitude of options.

(I can’t tell you how happy I was to see they included an eco-chic pick like Hewitt in the mix. Her lipsticks prove that eco-luxe cosmetics exist – like something out of a 1946 issue of VOGUE.)

I spent time talking with Blushington’s close-knit team and was thrilled to see how much they love what they do, and how hard they’re working to make it unique.  There’s something very cool, and rare, about a place that’s luxurious without being snobbishly exclusive. We need more of that in this world.

images courtesy author and laura tremaine

With some seriously fabulous eye makeup (courtesy of Blushington’s Emma Willis – whose station happened to be filled with carefully labeled Z Palettes…small world), it was an evening of makeup, drinks and good conversation with friends (old and new) at sunset, on Sunset. I love LA.

Emma gave me a wonderfully dramatic and defined eye, a bit mod yet modern, and mixed a few Stila lip glazes to create a sheer berry hue. And I loved the way she did my friend Morgan’s makeup, too. (I wrote about Morgan’s maternity beauty regime on BB in 2009, here).

Laura and Blushington hosted a wonderful, much needed evening. I loved getting to see friends – both URL ones and IRL ones, too. I’ve decided I need to do more Dramatic Eye Makeup Mondays. Because Mondays can use all the help they can get.

From Awards Season in full swing to Monday blahs, it’s nice to know Blushington is there. (With DryBar literally next door, this corner of Sunset Plaza is like the beauty version of Clark Kent’s superhero-changing phone booth.)

And knowing that this sort of thing is accessible to all? Well, that’s the beauty of it, really. xo a.

Alex Asher Sears is a writer, photographer, and fourth generation Angeleno. She believes that you can find inspiration anywhere but thinks Slim Aarons, Nöel Coward and Diana Vreeland are a great place to start. Since 2007, she’s been sharing her eco-beauty finds with BB readers. She writes at AlexandraWrote, and also, quite literally, at Type A Calligraphy. Find her on twitter at @AlexandraWrote.

10 Day Giveaway Winners

By | Uncategorized | 5 Comments

And the winners are…

Day 1
FB: Jayna Martin
Twitter: @lakuti

Day 2
FB: Tiffany Hearn
Twitter: @Mtlgrl4evr

Day 3
FB: steph.showalter
Twitter: @4_steph

Day 4
FB: Tabea Bruce
Twitter: @timandtabea

Day 5
FB: Barbara Ryan
Twitter: BarbaraAnnRyan

Day 6
FB: Sahara Rao
Twitter: @neeha323

Day 7
FB: Poli Moni
Twitter: BeanO_oo

Day 8
FB:Lauri Carter-Russell
Twitter:@Lauri825

Day 9
FB: April Fordyce
Twitter: @angelpumpkin1

Day 10
FB: Lori Beth Haynes
Twitter: loribeth89

Thanks to everyone for participating and Happy 2012!
Many, many more beauty tips, trends and interviews to come…

If you are one of the winners, please email your address to: info@beautybanter.com – subject: WINNER (and the Day of your win).

HoliaycardFINAL

Happy Holidays From Beauty Banter…

By | Uncategorized | 23 Comments

Remember to enter our massive 10 day beauty giveaway! Click here and enter all 10… You have until December 31, 2011.

Good Luck!

IMPORTANT! Click here for rules of entry (or scroll down)!

RULES OF ENTRY
3. Leave a comment below the post hosting the giveaway with your Facebook name and your Twitter handle. (ex: FB: Beautybanter.com / Twitter: @beautybanter). You can leave a comment under every post to increase your chances of winning!

**You MUST be a member of Beauty Banter to be eligible for the giveaway. Not a member? Sign up now! (Top right of the site where it says “become a member.” Enter your email and follow the brief directions.

And… That’s it! You’re entered! All contests will close on December 31, 2011 at 11:59 pm. This means that you have until December 31 to enter EVERY giveaway!
You must be 18 or older to participate. Open to US and Canadian applicants only. All winners will be chosen at random. Every winner must be a fan on Beauty Banter’s Facebook, following Beauty Banter on twitter, and subscribed to Beauty Banter’s membership (top right of site). All items will be shipped the first week in January.

xoxo, Sarah

Sarah Lorac

GIVEAWAY: Day 10 ~ Lorac Limited Edition Holiday Sets

By | Uncategorized | 97 Comments

What a great way to end our gift-giving. More festive and fabulous party products: glittery eyes and lips courtesy of the lovely LORAC. Celebrity makeup artist and founder, Carol Shaw (LORAC is Carol spelled backwards!) makes the most magnificent shades of makeup (the bonus is that her products are actually wearable from season to season). I am in beauty lust over her glosses – sheen and shimmery with a pop of plumpness, just the way my lips like it!

LORAC Limited Edition Bejeweled Lip Gloss Collection ($132.00 value) is a set of 6 lip glosses in Red Ruby (red), Peach Moonstone (peach), Hot Pink Sapphire (bright pink), Rich Garnet (dark cherry), Pink Diamond (opalescent light pink), Bronze Topaz (bronze). All are sulfate, petrochemical and paraben free and infused with antioxidants.

LORAC Limited Edition All That Glitters Sparkle Pencil  ($23.00) Collection includes 4 multi-use pencils (great as eye shadows or eye liners) in Nude Topaz (Champagne), Sapphire Shimmer (Purple), Gunmetal Glitz (Charcoal Grey), Midnight Sparkle (Black).

Value: $155.00 for both sets

[...]

sarahlippman

GIVEAWAY: Day 9 ~ Deborah Lippmann + Violent Lips

By | Uncategorized | 83 Comments

I am grouping these two sets together because a) they both have the word “lip” in the title, b) they are both full of sparkle (which absolutely reminds me of the holiday season), and c) both are perfect for the most popular party night of the year (or sitting on your couch chugging champagne from the bottle – presumably where I’ll be). Bottom line, Deborah Lippmann polishes and Violent Lips Temporary Lip Appliques are both fashion-forward, fierce and extremely festive products that you need to own now.

Deborah Lippmann Get This Party Started ($54.00 value) includes 3 toluene, formaldehyde and paraben-free glitter lacquers in Candy Shop (bubblegum pink), Forget You (party all night), and, best selling Happy Birthday (party in a bottle).

Violent Lips Temporary Lip Tattoos in Gold Glitteratti, Silver Glitteratti, and Blue Glitteratti (value of $15.00 per pack) – Giving away 3 packs of the most undeniably innovative (and practical) lippies. They’re actually “lip tattoos” that adhere to your lips with glistening sparks of gold, silver and blue glitter, respectively. Lasts for 8 hours (I’m thinking vital for those long, wet kisses) and remove easily with baby oil. Each pack comes with 3 lip tattoos (that’s 9 different lips for you!).

Value: $99.00 total