Category:  trends

vamp-lip

Trending: Nineties Lipstick

By | makeup, trends | No Comments

The vamp lip has been trending since last season, and it looks like it will be the color to covet come fall. In the interim, try this dark and dramatic shade that is universally flattering and looks fab on all lips and all skin tones.

This season’s red is dark, moody, and sometimes even vampy with a hint of purple. Celebrity makeup artist Kristin Hilton, who has worked with Jaime King, Allison Williams, and Uma Thurman, says: “I’m sure you’ve heard, but the ’90s are back.” And there is no better indication of nineties inspiration than that of the bold assortment of vampy runway pouts, as seen at Zac Posen, Erdem, Rodarte, Gareth Pugh, and Nicholas K.

“What do these lips have in common? Think deep, bold, opaque shades for a show-stopping pout,” says Kristin.

Kristin’s favorite nineties lipstick:
1. NYX Lip Cream in Copenhagen ($6)
2. Lime Crime Velvetine Matte Lipstick in Wicked ($20)
3. NARS Audacious Lipstick in Liv ($32)
4. Maybelline Lip Studio Color Blur in Partner in Crimson ($7)

Editor’s Picks:
1. MAC Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolour in High Drama (*this was the exact color used at the Zac Posen show ) ($20)
2. MAC Lipstick Viva Glam Ariana Grande ($17)
3. Tarte Tarteist Lip Paint in Frenemy ($20)
4. Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Chianti ($24)

Paint your pout pretty today!

fashion week

NYFW Trend Report: Do The Dew

By | makeup, skin, trends | One Comment

As New York Fashion Week comes to a close, we’re revisiting the best beauty from the runway. Certain trends leave a lasting impression, meaning there’s no way we’ll be waiting until fall to try them out.  One of our all time favorites was the dewy, glowy sheen seen at countless shows, from Baja East and Tory Burch to Carolina Herrera.  Here’s how to get that look today.

Prepping is crucial for a radiant, not slick, appearance.  At Maiyet and Self-Portrait, our fairy-glowmother, Tata Harper, used three key products to ready models.  Hydrating Floral Essence ($68) refreshes and tones the skin.  Rejuvenating Serum ($95) plumps and firms, and finally, Repairative Moisturizer ($105) smoothes and adds further hydration.

Once your skin is ready, it’s time to have some fun with makeup.  Here are the must have products to achieve this look:

1. Wander Beauty Flash Focus Hydrating Foundation Stick ($40) will perfect your complexion without masking it.

2. RMS Beauty Living Luminizer ($38) is a cult highlighter for good reason. Tap it on your cheekbones and brow bones for a lit from within glow.

3. Milk Makeup Eye Vinyl ($20) delivers serious shine to your eyelid thanks to plenty of hydrating natural oils.

4. Clinique Naturally Glossy Mascara ($16) gives your lashes natural length with a silky finish.

5. ARROW Boost Color Enhancing Lip Balm ($14) adjusts to your personal pH for a “your lips but better” color.

Are you a dewy or matte gal?  Let us know in the comments!

Images via vogue.com

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com

reese

Trending: The Braided, Texturized Updo

By | hair, how to, trends | No Comments

“The updo trend of the moment seems to be an updo that’s brought up with some braiding through it; hair swept up into a knot or bun and then a braid runs along the top or side that gives a little texture to the hair,” explains celebrity hairstylist Cervando, whose clients include Kirsten Dunst, Reese Witherspoon, and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley.

What makes this style so trendy?
“I think that a lot of people, including men, were wearing their hair on top of their head in a knot and it become very popular. It’s a style that looks really flattering on people; it gives you height, it pulls the face up, and it’s cute but can still be sexy. There are also a lot of variations to the style. I think someone probably saw this and thought ‘let’s make this something that we can have people wear on the red carpet. Let’s make this look effortlessly done.’ And then it became a trend. Like most trends that start, it’s not something that’s calculated, it’s something that happens organically. The braided topknot updo is the trend for right now. It’s this season’s variation.”

Who are some celebrities that are wearing it well?
“Jennifer Lawrence wore this style a couple of nights ago, Reese Witherspoon recently wore her hair like this, and Gwen Stefani wears it as well.”

What length and texture works best for this updo?
“With this kind of hairstyle, you can wear it with any kind of hair texture, whether it’s straight or wavy or really curly, because you can just sweep it up, create a shape, and put a braid in. As far as length goes, your hair would have to be past the shoulders to wear it like this.”

How do we make this style real-life wearable, especially for people who don’t know how to braid very well?
“First, start with dry hair. For someone who’s not so great at braiding, start by taking a big section of your hair wherever it parts, and leave it out. Put that into a big, easy braid. I suggest placing the braid in the middle of your head, in between the forehead and the crown [top of head], so that it’s right in the middle. Take the rest of your hair and put it up in either a loose updo or a low chignon, and secure. Then take the braid and wrap it around the shape of your head, pinning it into the back of your bun.”

Any products that help enhance the style?
“Whether you’re letting your hair dry naturally and having a natural wave to it, or your blowing it out into big curls, I suggest using some sort of texturizing spray, like Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray or Sachajuan Volume Powder that will give a lot of nice texture to the hair. Spray either through the hair, giving a little more brought texture and separation. Once you’ve done that, then pull it into a bun or a topknot. The texture will make it look more interesting and modern.”

libertine-aw-2015-runway-makeup-nails

Fall Nail Trends

By | trends | No Comments
fall nails

Call us basic all you want, but we love the chunky knits, booties, and pumpkin-flavored everything that come with fall.  One of the best parts, hands down (and no pun intended), is darker nail colors.  By the time October hits, we’re a bit tired of punchy corals and milky blue shades for our talons. After countless fashion week manicures, Jan Arnold, co-founder and Style Director of CND, has a strong grasp on what’s hot for nails this autumn.  Here are her thoughts:

Beauty Banter:  What are the top nail trends you are seeing for Fall 2015?
Jan Arnold:  Fall 2015 is all about textures and tones that clash and complement! We’ll see chains, studs, embellishments, and unexpected patterns on enhanced almond shapes.

BB: What are your must-have colors for the season?
JA:  CND’s Fall 2015 Contradictions collection is all about turning up the contrast! This season’s trends celebrate an unexpected clash between gritty street elements and elegant details for a dynamic combination of glamour and grunge. Nails evoke an edgy narrative with blackened pigments and heraldic ornaments.

BB: Do you think nail art is “over?”
JA:  Absolutely not – nails are the ultimate fashion accessory! We all have 10 tiny canvases at the tips of our fingers (and 10 more with toes!), and there are no limitations to the colors and styles we can create to support our personal style. Nails will forever be a coveted fashion element that allow women to express themselves.

BB:  What are your top products to keep nails looking their best as the weather changes?
JA:  During the colder months when air is drier and skin is more vulnerable, it’s especially important to keep nails and the surrounding skin well-conditioned. I recommend CND Solar Oil Nail & Cuticle Conditioner ($8) to keep cuticles polished and looking healthy.   I also recommend CND RescueRXx Daily Keratin Treatment ($20) to repair damaged and weakened nails.

Following Jan’s advice, here are our favorite colors for the season:
1. CND Grommet ($11)–deep pewter.
2. CND Poison Plum ($11)–glossy and glittery deep purple.
3. Formula X Acclaimed ($11)–nude crème.
4. Deborah Lippman Miss Independent ($18)–a berry wine that you’ll want to drink right up.
5. Treat Collection Mixed Message ($18)– khaki green with gold metallic.
6. Smith & Cult Kings & Thieves ($18)– inky dark blue.

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com

landing

NYFW Spring 2016 Beauty Trends To Try Today

By | hair, makeup, trends | No Comments

With New York Fashion Week over and done with (it’s onto London now!), we have one thing on our minds.  No, not new clothes (although of course that would be nice, too.).  Rather, we’re scoping out the runways to determine hair and makeup trends to start trying ASAP.  Although some fashion week looks are a bit over-the-top, many are rather easy to incorporate into your everyday look.  Here are our favorites, and ways in which you can wear the trend today:

1. Colored Eyeliner – We’ve had a love affair with this trend for awhile now, so we were thrilled to see it pop up again at Diane von Furstenberg, Karen Walker, Nanette Lepore, and Marc Jacobs.  Try this look instead of a bold lip for your next night out on the town.
colored-lids
Like the look? Don’t wait, try: Beauty is Life Eyeliner Cake ($25) or NARS Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner ($25)

2. Air dried, twisted locks – Another trend that we’ve been embracing, air dried hair is likely not going anywhere anytime soon. Perfectly tousled and undone hair was spotted for spring at Timo Weiland, Calvin Klein, and Badgley Mischka.
2
Like the look? Don’t wait, try: Bumble and bumble Don’t Blow It ($30).

3. All-natural faces – Makeup that has you guessing whether it’s really there at all is the definition of understated glamour. We loved seeing this at Dennis Basso, Alexander Wang, and Altuzarra.
3
Like the look? Don’t wait, try: First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads ($30) and Glossier Perfecting Skin Tint ($26).

4. All about those buns – Tying hair back can be  a lifesaver if you’re having a bad hair day, or just want to show off your shoulders and décolletage. Whether you choose sleek and tidy like Zac Posen and Gabriela Hearst, or more undone like Zimmerman, make sure you’re mane is pulled back and up.
4
Like the look? Don’t wait, try: Goody Spin Pins ($6), Davines This Is a Sea Salt Spray ($27), and L’Oreal Elnett Hair Spray ($15).

5. Sweet pink cheeks and lips – A perfectly ladylike yet modern look that works on everyone. Take a cue from Carolina Herrera, Kate Spade, Ralph Lauren, and Michael Costello and dust a dash of rose – bold or barely-there – on cheeks and pucker.
5
Like the look? Don’t wait, try: Sonia Kashuk Creme Blush ($10) and  Burberry First Kiss Rose Blush ($26).

Images courtesy of Vogue.com

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com

helmut_newton_le_smoking

Trending: Sleek, Slick Hair

By | hair, trends | 2 Comments

If the past few months of red carpet glam are any indication, sleek, slick hair is a thing. Take Kim Kardashian, Gigi Hadid, and Demi Lovato from the VMAs, and Rita Ora on the streets of NYC yesterday: All sporting this straight, sleek, slick hairstyle. So, it got us wondering: Is beachy hair (finally) obsolete? Will we be reaching for our hot tools this fall?

Even Harry Josh, master cutter to the likes of Gisele, weighed in, telling Yahoo that he’s: “really into polish and high gloss — rich, shiny color. I’m ready to move away from the beachy hair — it’s almost fall.”

We turned to two powerhouse hairstylists – Michael Silva, the man responsible for Kim’s VMA look, and Jennifer Yepez, who has perfected this look on many a pretty manes, including those of Gigi and Joan Smalls – to give us the lowdown on this luxe hair trend.

Beauty Banter: Is slick and sleek hair replacing beachy, texturized and volumized hair this season?
Michael Silva: I wouldn’t say it’s replacing; the two are so different. I would compare beachy waves and slicked back hair like day and evening. One is more casual than the other.

BB: Where does this slick hair look come from?
Jennifer Yepez: I would say ’90s, but not grunge. More like ’90s minimalist.
MS: The influence starts from early Helmut Newton photos of strong beautiful women to Robert Palmers’ Some Like It Hot video.

BB: How can we recreate this look without appearing like we’ve just stuck our head in a vat of oil?
MS: First off, DON’T stick your head in a vat of oil. The easiest way would be to put some holding gel in your hair when it’s damp. Use a wide tooth comb and comb it straight back. Let it dry.

BB: What are simple steps to recreating the look at-home?
JY: First, make sections starting at the nape [of your neck] and apply Oribe Grandiose Mousse, focusing more on the root area as you need more of a grip and hold to make the style stay in place. Take a Mason Pearson Brush and blow dry your hair flat to your head shape.

Then take another section and repeat. [Continue this with each section] until you get to the front. When you’ve reached the front, apply double the mousse that you did in the back of your head, mostly on the side and blow dry it again using any flat bristle brush. When you reach the top blow dry with a round brush to get the volume.

Once you’re done, apply a small amount of Oribe Balm D’or from the mid shaft to ends of your hair, and flat iron from mid shaft down to get it nice and smooth.

After your ends are smooth, apply Oribe Superfine Strong Hair Spray to the sides of your hair. Work one side at a time, so only spray the side you are working on, and take your flat brush and smooth it by brushing [the hair] back and following your head shape. Then move to the next side.

Spray the top lightly, but do not brush it out as you want to keep the volume.

You can use 2 large silver clips and a small piece of paper towel underneath the clip to hold the sides in place until you are ready to leave. Once you’re all set, take out the silver clips and you’re red carpet ready.

BB: Any must-have products to use while creating this look?
MS: Moroccanoil Styling Gel and Moroccanoil Treatment Light on ends.

BB: Final thoughts…
MS: When dry, finish with Moroccanoil Glimmer Shine spray [to add even more of that wet shine look].
JY: If you want your hair to appear wet more than slick, after you’ve sealed in your look with hair spray, use a coat of hair serum and some shine spray.

The jury’s still out on whether or not sleek, slick hair will replace mega texturized tresses, but for now, this is definitely a trend to try.

sheet-masks

Trending: Korean Sheet Masks For Every Skin Type

By | skin, trends | 2 Comments

Some of the most innovative skincare products come courtesy of hundred-year-old Korean skin practices. The newest trend in this burgeoning field is sheet masks, an Asian complexion secret weapon. We turned to Sarah Lee, co-founder of Glow Recipe (review her favorite waterless products list here), the premiere online Korean beauty destination, for the lowdown on the sheet mask trend.

Beauty Banter: Why are sheet masks trending in skincare?
Sarah Lee: The portability and ease of use have catapulted sheet masks to rock-star status in Asia and they’ve just started to gain traction stateside. The sheet mask offerings range anywhere from one dollar sheet masks to premium sheet masks that are soaked in an entire bottle of serum and cost dozens of dollars per piece. Women love the at-home-spa experience as well as instant results that the sheet masks provide.

BB: Explain the origin of sheet masks?
SL: Long before sheet masks became a staple in Korean skincare regimes, women would boil water underneath flowers and herbs, then capture the steam on a piece of silk, which they would then apply to the face.

Why are they big in asian skincare?
SL: Asian women, specifically Korean women, love layering highly concentrated treatments on their skin and are always looking for efficient, visible anti-aging and skin-glowing results. Sheet masks was one of the easy and efficient solutions for this demand which was actually in the Korean market over a decade ago, and interestingly, the sheet mask category is still fast growing in Asia, and now globally.

Korean women have also moved from fabric and cotton sheet masks to newer textures such as hydro-gel and biocellulose. These types of sheets hold more ‘juice’ (the industry term for the essence/ serum that the sheet mask is soaked in), and adhere more closely to the skin for instant results. Since sheet masks literally ‘wrap’ the skin for a prolonged period of time, we always look for paraben and mineral oil free offerings.

BB: What are the best sheet masks for each skin type?
SL: Brightening –  Whamisa Organic Sea Kelp Facial Sheet Mask ($14). This is an instant brightening secret of mine and also many customers that swear by the results. Made of 100% real, actual sea kelp rich in vitamins and minerals, this mask is a true luxurious ocean facial.

HydratingWhamisa Organic Flowers & Aloe Vera Fermented Hydrogel Facial Mask ($9). This clear jelly mask drenched in a full bottle of serum is a skin savior when traveling or having been under dehydrated areas. It’s my go-to for dryness and  instant hydration. The blend of fermented organic flowers provide maximum efficiency while being ultra gentle on the skin.

Anti-Aging – Whamisa’s Organic rice seeds hydrogel mask. Rice seed is an excellent ingredient when it comes to firmness and elaticity. This is a different flavor of the jelly mask above. What’s also great about is that it reacts to skin’s temperature and completely adheres to skin to directly deliver the ingredients and their benefits.

Tired/ Dull – Soyedodam ginseng hydrogel mask. Red gingseng is one of the most powerful anti-oxidant ingredients. It helps protect skin from environmental aggressors and free radicals. I personally take a spoon of red ginseng extract every morning and it definitely helps me awaken and power through long, hectic days! Good news is that it doesn’t smell like red ginseng at all, and in fact it’s a lovely sensorial clear gel mask that takes my skin to a youthful, energized look!

Combination to Oily – Celderma 3-in-1 Aqua mask. When I first saw these 3-in-1 masks in Korea a few months back, I thought it was pure genius, as Celderma really understands women’s insights! We all want to travel lightly, and still look glowing. For those with combination and oily skin types, this is the type of mask that doesn’t over-hydrate your skin, but gives it just the right amount that lasts all day.[Comes with] a super effective cleanser to prep and clean  and an ultra lightweight gel. Incredibly convenient, and a travel must-have.

BB: What comes next for sheet masks? Any new innovations on the horizon?
SL: Rubber masks have been used at celebrity spas for years and are a favorite among Korean influencers for maintaining a flawless complexion. Called ‘modeling packs’ or ‘rubber packs’ locally, the dense rubber helps to seal minerals into skin, leaving the complexion clarified and baby-soft without evaporation. Rubber masks often contain the ingredient ‘Alginate,’ a kelp derivative that congeals when in contact with water.
*Peruse the Modeling Rubber Mask Sets ($11) here.

Sarah’s final thought: “Don’t be afraid to mix and match! The best thing about a mask is the versatility – while your normal skincare regimen may treat your break-out prone combination to oily skin, you can easily try a soothing, hydrating leave on mask if your skin is feeling irritated and tight.”

landing

Fall Hair Trends

By | hair, trends | 2 Comments

When it comes to seasonal hair trends, the runway plays a crucial role in determining what styles will become the go-to’s for the seasonal ahead. Celebrity and editorial hairstylist Sheridan Ward, who has worked with Lake Bell, Chanel Iman, and Angela Lindvall, says that this coming fall we can expect to see “classic looks getting a modern twist and a big play on texture and structure. Simple, minimal, fuss-free beauty.” Inspired by Fall/ Winter 2015 fashion week runways, Sheridan examines three distinct trends that emerged: Pool glam, boyish glam, and the staple red carpet glam. Here, he explains how to recreate each look for a wearable fall style:

Pool Glam
From the pool to the runway or straight onto the cover of a magazine, wet raked through texture, with a clean, chic finish; easy, no mess, no fuss.

look-1

How-To:
1. While hair is damp, apply a generous amount of thickening spray through the entire front of the hair and rake through with fingers to create interesting texture and movement.
2. Secure with a hair band or hair tie at the base of the neck.
3. Allow the top to air dry or to speed things up use a diffuser.
4. Rough dry the pony tail and apply a heat protecter spray. Use a flat iron to smooth the ends and finish with touch of hair spray and a drop of serum.
5. Add a hair accessory or some hair jewellery to personalize.

Tools Needed:
T3 Featherweight Luxe 2i Dryer ($250); T3 SoftTouch 2 Diffuser ($30); Mason Pearson brush ($105).

Products Needed:
Bumble and bumble Thickening Hairspray ($29); Paul Mitchell Express Style Hot Off The Press ($18); Suave Professionals Touchable Finish Extra Hold Hairspray($3).

Boyish Glam
The girls are in charge; soft waves with a masculine front. Structured, cool, and strong with a feminine finish.

look-2

How-To:
1. Apply mousse to the first 3-4 inches of hair around the face, and blow dry away from your face with your paddle brush.
2. Get your part right, then apply a light dusting of texture powder at the roots of your hair around the face where you want the volume and hold to be.
3. Lightly tease your hair 1-2 centimeters at the roots where you want volume and hold, then smooth over with a soft bristle brush (taking care not to brush out that teasing). Set with a little hair spray.
4. Once you have the soft shape and structure you desire, clip it into place behind ears to secure. Using your styling iron, set the rest of your hair into 4-5 large curls at back of the head; pin into place and allow to cool.
5. Without disturbing the top of your hair, gently brush out your curls into soft waves, and mist with hair spray to finish.

Tools Needed:
T3 Featherweight Luxe 2i Dryer ($250); T3 BodyWaver 1.75″ Professional Curling Iron ($149); Mason Pearson brush ($105); pintail comb ($6).

Products Needed:
Kevin Murphy Body Builder Volumising Mousse ($19); OSIS+ Dust It Texture Mattifying Powder ($24); MoroccanOil Luminous Hairspray Medium ($21).

Red Carpet Glam:
Whimsical texture with an unexpected detail; putting the glam back into glamour.

look-3

How-To:
1. Take a 1cm wide strip of hair directly back from the hairline to the crown to create your part. Spray generously with hairspray and use your hair dryer on low speed and medium heat for 15-20 seconds to dry the parting into place. Finish with a cold blast of air to help seal it.
2. Spritz the remainder of the hair with a heat protector spray and set the hair with a large styling iron.
3. Pin warms curls onto the head as you go, mist generously with hairspray and allow to cool. (Note:this would be a great time to apply your makeup and put on a gorgeous frock.)
4. Unpin curls and with a brush or two of your paddle brush you’re almost done.
5. Lightly spritz waves with a dry texture spray, finish with a mist hair spray and you’re ready for the red carpet.

Tools Needed:
T3 Twirl 360 Motion-Sensing Auto-Rotating Curling Iron ($230); T3 Featherweight Luxe 2i Dryer ($250); Mason Pearson brush ($105); pintail comb ($6).

Products Needed:
Label.M Heat Protection Spray Unisex by Toni & Guy ($10); Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray ($42); L’Oreal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray Extra Strong Hold ($11).

*Follow Sheridan’s mane musings here.

*All photos courtesy of Sheridan Ward; model is Zoe Aggeliki, makeup artist is Stephanie Cozart Burton.