Category:  trends

4-sammiglory_BCN018_2

One-A-Day Masks: The Latest Masking Trend

By | skin, trends | No Comments

“The latest trend in Korea is “one day, one mask.” As masks are such a great way to pump up your skincare, whether it’s to immediately deep cleanse, exfoliate, or hydrate, Korean women are into this “boot camp for skincare.” Taking 15~20 minutes to give your skin this extra pampering session is a great way to de-stress and reboot your skincare results.

From sheet masks, milk peelers, and rubber masks, there is a wide variety of different masks out there to choose from for every budget and concern. There is no wrong or right way to mask; what’s important is to tailor a personal routine and do what works best for you.

Our tips for this “one day, one mask” or “Monday to Friday” skin boot camp are as follows (suitable for all skin types):

MONDAY

After a weekend of festivities, Monday is the perfect time to kick off the week with a detoxifying rubber mask. These masks help to clarify, deep cleanse, minimize pore,s and leave skin refreshed yet hydrated for the long week ahead. I recommend our new Charcoal Rubber Mask . This is a favorite for oily to combination skin types. A quick YouTube tutorial here for tips on how to use a rubber mask.

TUESDAY

Use a deeply hydrating hydro-gel mask to soothe, calm, and moisturize skin. Sheet masks are a great way to provide an intensive dose of nutrients and hydrating ingredients and Soyedodam’s is formulated with an antioxidant-rich blend of Red Gingseng and Manuka Honey.

WEDNESDAY

Get over hump day with a sheet mask with a twist. Blossom Jeju’s 2-step sheet mask offers an oil and sheet mask in one with luxurious, 100% pure Jeju Camellia oil and a silky sheet mask to create a brightening, super-hydrating masking treatment that leaves skin unbelievably smooth and supple. Pollution is a significant factor in a dull, tired appearance, so starting any skincare treatment with a clean canvas is critical.

THURSDAY

As we age and due to environmental aggressors such as UV, pollution particles, dirt and grime that constantly assaults our skin, skin turnaround takes longer. This means that dead skin cells continue to accumulate on the skin’s surface, impeding skincare from being fully absorbed into skin. Primary Raw’s 2-step milk peeling kit is a great way to and gently exfoliate and hydrate to reveal soft, supple skin. First, this treatment works to gently remove dead skin cells with a hydrating and exfoliating complex saturated in a large cotton swab. Finish off with a soothing sheet mask infused with soy milk, green tea, and chamomile extracts for natural radiance.

FRIDAY

Seal in weekend-ready skin with one last sheet mask to hydrate and awaken skin from a long week. A small tip before using Whamisa’s Hydrogel Masks is to apply the serum at the bottom of the sachet to the face before applying the sheet (which is made of skin beneficial aloe and fruit extracts).

This month, we are partnering with Vogue Korea to celebrate their 20th anniversary. In honor of this momentous event, the Korea editorial team has created a beautiful handmade box filled with a stringent curation of their favorite K-beauty picks, including best-in-class masks. These boxes are being shared with a select number of influencers around the world (including Victoria Beckham, Eva Chen, etc.) and is one of Vogue Korea’s biggest events to date.

Best-in-class masks hand-selected and approved by Vogue Korea’s beauty director are Primary Raw’s 2-step milk peeling kit  and Whamisa’s Hydrogel Masks.”

–Sarah Lee, co-founder of Glow Recipe

dewy-fresh-clean-skin-makeup-marcelina-sowa-highlights-gucci-westman

Trending: Glossy Summer Skin

By | makeup, skin, trends | No Comments

When you think of the word glossy, does uber-slick, shiny, maybe even sticky come to mind? Yeah, us too.

But summer’s glossy skin is actually more of a dew that looks both natural and healthy. Sure, no-makeup-makeup is nothing new, but adding gloss to eyes, lips, even cheeks hasn’t exactly been the summer go-to… until now.

Take, for example, the new non-touring trend that kicks contouring back to fall and instead focuses on the glow (usually manufactured). And then there’s the shiny lips of summer (try an oil instead of a sticky gloss of yesteryear) and the glossy lids – all trends worth exploring this season. And if your skin is naturally oily, you’re in luck! Not much you need to do but perhaps carry blotting papers to soak up t-zone slickness. The rest, well, that’s on-trend.

Milk Makeup Face Gloss ($20) – A colorless, non-sticky, face sheen that brightens and highlights cheeks, lips, eyes, and anything else that requires a hint of highlight.

Lancôme Juicy Shaker ($21) – You may remember Juicy Tubes, Lance’s colt-favorite gloss of the millennium, and Juicy Shakers follow where the tubes left off. Wearable colors with gorgeous shine. Except shakers aren’t sticky (yes!). Instead, they’re infused with oils to soften, soothe, and impart shine. Juicy Tubes 2.0.

Lano Lanolin 101 Ointment Multipurpose Superbalm ($19) – Think of this as the all-natural version of multitasking salve, Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream. As we’ve mentioned before, the fastest way to get the glossy lid look is with a dab of high-shine ointment. Well, Lano Lanolin Superbalm gives the gloss without the toxic ingredients. And for even more on-trend eyelid love, start by applying a metallic cream shadow, like RMS BeautyEye Polish in universally flattering Lunar ($28) first, which will just add more drama, gloss, shine, and sparkle to the lids. Then finish with a dab of Superbalm. Bitchin’!

c900x559

Pretty In Pastel: Beauty Tips With Lauren Andersen

By | makeup, trends | 24 Comments

Pastels are certainly having a moment. From the runways to the streets, pastel dresses, pants, jackets, makeup, and even hair are bigger and brighter than ever. We reached out to celebrity makeup artist Lauren Andersen, who glams up the likes of Jessica Alba, Eva Mendes, and Reese Witherspoon, for her take on all things pastel, plus the best beauty products to buy this spring!

Beauty Banter: How is the pastel of today different than the frosty pastel of the ’80s?

Lauren Andersen: You can take this trend as deep as you want and still look chic. Pastel hair color is a huge trend at the moment. But don’t go overboard with color in the wardrobe and makeup if you choose this route; keep it simple. When I use color, I love playing with a monochromatic pallet. Using tones of the same color keeps the look sophisticated. Creamy or matte textures seem to be more on trend than the frosty pastels of the ’80s.

BB: How can you wear this pastel trend without looking like an Easter egg?

LA: Keep it simple. For cheeks, soft pinks and peaches are sweet and feminine. Eyes can be the most adventurous with color but pick one. I love using eyeliner to play with an unexpected color as opposed to a dramatic multicolored eyeshadow situation. Think ’60s cat eye in periwinkle or mint. Correspond lips with cheek color. Opt for pale pinks and peaches.

BB: If we are fearful of diving into this trend, how can we work it in slowly?

LA: Incorporate pastels into your beauty routine by starting with your nails. Ballet Slippers by Essie ($8) is still a classic, but try mint or baby blue or soft yellow.

BB: What are your favorite pastel products for spring?
Lauren’s top pastel picks:
Avon True Color Eyeshadow Quad in Purple Pop ($8)
Avon Ultra Color Lipstick Soft Matte in Proper Pink ($8)
Lime Crime Polish in Once in a Blue Mousse ($8)
Lime Crime Unicorn Lipstick in Babette ($18)
Nars Blush in Gina ($30)
Nars Duo Eyeshadow in Bouthan ($35)
Stila Eyeshadow in Cha Cha ($18)
Stila Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eyeshadow in Kitten ($32)
MAC Powder Blush in Peachy Keen ($22)

IMG_5919

Trending: The Half-Up Top Knot

By | hair, trends | No Comments

Remember when the top knot was all the rage? Well, top knot, you’ve got some stiff competition, and it comes in the form of the slightly more feminine and sexy AF half-up top knot, as worn on the heads of Kourtney Kardashian, Lily Aldridge, and Kim Kardashian. This super flattering style adds a few extra inches in the vertical direction, and it’s relatively simple to achieve.

To recreate, take the front half of your hair and gather at the crown of your head (the higher, the better). Use a rubber band to secure. Then wrap the hair already in the rubber band into a bun and pull the tail through, like tying a knot. Keep in place with a few bobby pins. Showing the tail is chic, so pull out a few random pieces to really achieve the undone-done vibe.

To give it some texture like Kourtney, add a dry shampoo or texture spray to strands prior to doing the knot. Try Kardashian Beauty Take 2 Dry Shampoo ($15), which was used on Kourt’s killer look, or Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray ($44).

For some sleek shine, à la Lily, opt for Redken’s Shine Flash 02 ($14), a personal favorite, or Kerastase Nutritive Oleo-Relax Serum ($26).

spring hair cuts 2016

Spring 2016: The Hair Cuts That Are Trending

By | hair, trends | No Comments

Chop it like it’s hot: This spring, it’s all about going shorter, taking the plunge, and chopping those locks… if even only by an inch or two. We sat down with celebrity hairstylist Mika Fowler of the Kim Vo Salon – who has worked with Olivia Munn, Nina Dobrev, and Emma Roberts – to get the insider scoop into what cuts are trending for spring 2016.

For shoulder to chin-length hair: “The lob is still going strong, especially Khloe Kardashian’s recent cut,” says Mika. ” And the style is slightly longer in the front to give it more edge, and layers that start at the cheekbone to make it more current for spring. Slightly a-line.”

For medium to long hair: Gone are the days of the V cut. A straight bottom is really key, explains Mika, a la Karlie Kloss. “The younger girls on social media – 20 to 30-year-olds – all have this new style.” Mika urges to chop just above the breast line to really keep the look on-trend.

For super long hair: Long hair is no longer in. Yep, it’s true. If you can’t part with your long locks, update the look by adding ombre (dark roots, lighter tips) so it doesn’t actually look like the hair is as long as it truly is, suggests Mika. “If you do want to stay longer, try colored clip-in extensions, like purple or pastel pink, which are both still trending for spring. Then you can have ombre color extensions!”

FullSizeRender

Spring Trends: Statement Jewelry

By | fashion, trends | No Comments

This spring, when it comes to jewelry, our motto is the bigger the better. Stella McCartney was feeling major statement-making jewelry at her fall 2016 show, but autumn is far too long for us to wait for this trend. Instant gratification or bust. Like makeup, jewels are the best way to kick any outfit up a notch.  Although Stella’s creations are certainly cool girl-chic, we were on the hunt for things that are slightly more wearable in our daily lives.  Here are our favorites:

Topshop Multi-row Statement Necklace ($25) – This babe is just calling out for the perfect white tee.

J.Crew Neon Garden Earrings ($75) – Pair these girly and sweet creations with ripped boyfriend jeans and Stan Smiths…haven’t you heard that opposites attract?

Diane von Furstenberg Geometric Necklace ($198) – An outfit maker if we’ve ever seen one.

Urban Outfitters Next Dance Chain Earrings ($15)  – Don’t they make you want to dance?

Alexis Bittar Crystal Parrot Chain Ring ($195) – Don’t forget to get a fresh mani when wearing this beauty…people won’t be able to stop staring at your hands.

Forever21 Kitschy Chic Woven Bracelet ($9) – Festival-ready and then some.

BaubleBar Paleo Cuff Bracelet  ($42) – Although we’re sick of hearing about paleo diets, paleo cuffs are more than acceptable.

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com

vamp-lip

Trending: Nineties Lipstick

By | makeup, trends | No Comments

The vamp lip has been trending since last season, and it looks like it will be the color to covet come fall. In the interim, try this dark and dramatic shade that is universally flattering and looks fab on all lips and all skin tones.

This season’s red is dark, moody, and sometimes even vampy with a hint of purple. Celebrity makeup artist Kristin Hilton, who has worked with Jaime King, Allison Williams, and Uma Thurman, says: “I’m sure you’ve heard, but the ’90s are back.” And there is no better indication of nineties inspiration than that of the bold assortment of vampy runway pouts, as seen at Zac Posen, Erdem, Rodarte, Gareth Pugh, and Nicholas K.

“What do these lips have in common? Think deep, bold, opaque shades for a show-stopping pout,” says Kristin.

Kristin’s favorite nineties lipstick:
1. NYX Lip Cream in Copenhagen ($6)
2. Lime Crime Velvetine Matte Lipstick in Wicked ($20)
3. NARS Audacious Lipstick in Liv ($32)
4. Maybelline Lip Studio Color Blur in Partner in Crimson ($7)

Editor’s Picks:
1. MAC Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolour in High Drama (*this was the exact color used at the Zac Posen show ) ($20)
2. MAC Lipstick Viva Glam Ariana Grande ($17)
3. Tarte Tarteist Lip Paint in Frenemy ($20)
4. Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Chianti ($24)

Paint your pout pretty today!

fashion week

NYFW Trend Report: Do The Dew

By | makeup, skin, trends | One Comment

As New York Fashion Week comes to a close, we’re revisiting the best beauty from the runway. Certain trends leave a lasting impression, meaning there’s no way we’ll be waiting until fall to try them out.  One of our all time favorites was the dewy, glowy sheen seen at countless shows, from Baja East and Tory Burch to Carolina Herrera.  Here’s how to get that look today.

Prepping is crucial for a radiant, not slick, appearance.  At Maiyet and Self-Portrait, our fairy-glowmother, Tata Harper, used three key products to ready models.  Hydrating Floral Essence ($68) refreshes and tones the skin.  Rejuvenating Serum ($95) plumps and firms, and finally, Repairative Moisturizer ($105) smoothes and adds further hydration.

Once your skin is ready, it’s time to have some fun with makeup.  Here are the must have products to achieve this look:

1. Wander Beauty Flash Focus Hydrating Foundation Stick ($40) will perfect your complexion without masking it.

2. RMS Beauty Living Luminizer ($38) is a cult highlighter for good reason. Tap it on your cheekbones and brow bones for a lit from within glow.

3. Milk Makeup Eye Vinyl ($20) delivers serious shine to your eyelid thanks to plenty of hydrating natural oils.

4. Clinique Naturally Glossy Mascara ($16) gives your lashes natural length with a silky finish.

5. ARROW Boost Color Enhancing Lip Balm ($14) adjusts to your personal pH for a “your lips but better” color.

Are you a dewy or matte gal?  Let us know in the comments!

Images via vogue.com

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com

reese

Trending: The Braided, Texturized Updo

By | hair, how to, trends | No Comments

“The updo trend of the moment seems to be an updo that’s brought up with some braiding through it; hair swept up into a knot or bun and then a braid runs along the top or side that gives a little texture to the hair,” explains celebrity hairstylist Cervando, whose clients include Kirsten Dunst, Reese Witherspoon, and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley.

What makes this style so trendy?
“I think that a lot of people, including men, were wearing their hair on top of their head in a knot and it become very popular. It’s a style that looks really flattering on people; it gives you height, it pulls the face up, and it’s cute but can still be sexy. There are also a lot of variations to the style. I think someone probably saw this and thought ‘let’s make this something that we can have people wear on the red carpet. Let’s make this look effortlessly done.’ And then it became a trend. Like most trends that start, it’s not something that’s calculated, it’s something that happens organically. The braided topknot updo is the trend for right now. It’s this season’s variation.”

Who are some celebrities that are wearing it well?
“Jennifer Lawrence wore this style a couple of nights ago, Reese Witherspoon recently wore her hair like this, and Gwen Stefani wears it as well.”

What length and texture works best for this updo?
“With this kind of hairstyle, you can wear it with any kind of hair texture, whether it’s straight or wavy or really curly, because you can just sweep it up, create a shape, and put a braid in. As far as length goes, your hair would have to be past the shoulders to wear it like this.”

How do we make this style real-life wearable, especially for people who don’t know how to braid very well?
“First, start with dry hair. For someone who’s not so great at braiding, start by taking a big section of your hair wherever it parts, and leave it out. Put that into a big, easy braid. I suggest placing the braid in the middle of your head, in between the forehead and the crown [top of head], so that it’s right in the middle. Take the rest of your hair and put it up in either a loose updo or a low chignon, and secure. Then take the braid and wrap it around the shape of your head, pinning it into the back of your bun.”

Any products that help enhance the style?
“Whether you’re letting your hair dry naturally and having a natural wave to it, or your blowing it out into big curls, I suggest using some sort of texturizing spray, like Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray or Sachajuan Volume Powder that will give a lot of nice texture to the hair. Spray either through the hair, giving a little more brought texture and separation. Once you’ve done that, then pull it into a bun or a topknot. The texture will make it look more interesting and modern.”