Category:  trends

libertine-aw-2015-runway-makeup-nails

Fall Nail Trends

By | trends | No Comments
fall nails

Call us basic all you want, but we love the chunky knits, booties, and pumpkin-flavored everything that come with fall.  One of the best parts, hands down (and no pun intended), is darker nail colors.  By the time October hits, we’re a bit tired of punchy corals and milky blue shades for our talons. After countless fashion week manicures, Jan Arnold, co-founder and Style Director of CND, has a strong grasp on what’s hot for nails this autumn.  Here are her thoughts:

Beauty Banter:  What are the top nail trends you are seeing for Fall 2015?
Jan Arnold:  Fall 2015 is all about textures and tones that clash and complement! We’ll see chains, studs, embellishments, and unexpected patterns on enhanced almond shapes.

BB: What are your must-have colors for the season?
JA:  CND’s Fall 2015 Contradictions collection is all about turning up the contrast! This season’s trends celebrate an unexpected clash between gritty street elements and elegant details for a dynamic combination of glamour and grunge. Nails evoke an edgy narrative with blackened pigments and heraldic ornaments.

BB: Do you think nail art is “over?”
JA:  Absolutely not – nails are the ultimate fashion accessory! We all have 10 tiny canvases at the tips of our fingers (and 10 more with toes!), and there are no limitations to the colors and styles we can create to support our personal style. Nails will forever be a coveted fashion element that allow women to express themselves.

BB:  What are your top products to keep nails looking their best as the weather changes?
JA:  During the colder months when air is drier and skin is more vulnerable, it’s especially important to keep nails and the surrounding skin well-conditioned. I recommend CND Solar Oil Nail & Cuticle Conditioner ($8) to keep cuticles polished and looking healthy.   I also recommend CND RescueRXx Daily Keratin Treatment ($20) to repair damaged and weakened nails.

Following Jan’s advice, here are our favorite colors for the season:
1. CND Grommet ($11)–deep pewter.
2. CND Poison Plum ($11)–glossy and glittery deep purple.
3. Formula X Acclaimed ($11)–nude crème.
4. Deborah Lippman Miss Independent ($18)–a berry wine that you’ll want to drink right up.
5. Treat Collection Mixed Message ($18)– khaki green with gold metallic.
6. Smith & Cult Kings & Thieves ($18)– inky dark blue.

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com

landing

NYFW Spring 2016 Beauty Trends To Try Today

By | hair, makeup, trends | No Comments

With New York Fashion Week over and done with (it’s onto London now!), we have one thing on our minds.  No, not new clothes (although of course that would be nice, too.).  Rather, we’re scoping out the runways to determine hair and makeup trends to start trying ASAP.  Although some fashion week looks are a bit over-the-top, many are rather easy to incorporate into your everyday look.  Here are our favorites, and ways in which you can wear the trend today:

1. Colored Eyeliner – We’ve had a love affair with this trend for awhile now, so we were thrilled to see it pop up again at Diane von Furstenberg, Karen Walker, Nanette Lepore, and Marc Jacobs.  Try this look instead of a bold lip for your next night out on the town.
colored-lids
Like the look? Don’t wait, try: Beauty is Life Eyeliner Cake ($25) or NARS Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner ($25)

2. Air dried, twisted locks – Another trend that we’ve been embracing, air dried hair is likely not going anywhere anytime soon. Perfectly tousled and undone hair was spotted for spring at Timo Weiland, Calvin Klein, and Badgley Mischka.
2
Like the look? Don’t wait, try: Bumble and bumble Don’t Blow It ($30).

3. All-natural faces – Makeup that has you guessing whether it’s really there at all is the definition of understated glamour. We loved seeing this at Dennis Basso, Alexander Wang, and Altuzarra.
3
Like the look? Don’t wait, try: First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads ($30) and Glossier Perfecting Skin Tint ($26).

4. All about those buns – Tying hair back can be  a lifesaver if you’re having a bad hair day, or just want to show off your shoulders and décolletage. Whether you choose sleek and tidy like Zac Posen and Gabriela Hearst, or more undone like Zimmerman, make sure you’re mane is pulled back and up.
4
Like the look? Don’t wait, try: Goody Spin Pins ($6), Davines This Is a Sea Salt Spray ($27), and L’Oreal Elnett Hair Spray ($15).

5. Sweet pink cheeks and lips – A perfectly ladylike yet modern look that works on everyone. Take a cue from Carolina Herrera, Kate Spade, Ralph Lauren, and Michael Costello and dust a dash of rose – bold or barely-there – on cheeks and pucker.
5
Like the look? Don’t wait, try: Sonia Kashuk Creme Blush ($10) and  Burberry First Kiss Rose Blush ($26).

Images courtesy of Vogue.com

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com

helmut_newton_le_smoking

Trending: Sleek, Slick Hair

By | hair, trends | 2 Comments

If the past few months of red carpet glam are any indication, sleek, slick hair is a thing. Take Kim Kardashian, Gigi Hadid, and Demi Lovato from the VMAs, and Rita Ora on the streets of NYC yesterday: All sporting this straight, sleek, slick hairstyle. So, it got us wondering: Is beachy hair (finally) obsolete? Will we be reaching for our hot tools this fall?

Even Harry Josh, master cutter to the likes of Gisele, weighed in, telling Yahoo that he’s: “really into polish and high gloss — rich, shiny color. I’m ready to move away from the beachy hair — it’s almost fall.”

We turned to two powerhouse hairstylists – Michael Silva, the man responsible for Kim’s VMA look, and Jennifer Yepez, who has perfected this look on many a pretty manes, including those of Gigi and Joan Smalls – to give us the lowdown on this luxe hair trend.

Beauty Banter: Is slick and sleek hair replacing beachy, texturized and volumized hair this season?
Michael Silva: I wouldn’t say it’s replacing; the two are so different. I would compare beachy waves and slicked back hair like day and evening. One is more casual than the other.

BB: Where does this slick hair look come from?
Jennifer Yepez: I would say ’90s, but not grunge. More like ’90s minimalist.
MS: The influence starts from early Helmut Newton photos of strong beautiful women to Robert Palmers’ Some Like It Hot video.

BB: How can we recreate this look without appearing like we’ve just stuck our head in a vat of oil?
MS: First off, DON’T stick your head in a vat of oil. The easiest way would be to put some holding gel in your hair when it’s damp. Use a wide tooth comb and comb it straight back. Let it dry.

BB: What are simple steps to recreating the look at-home?
JY: First, make sections starting at the nape [of your neck] and apply Oribe Grandiose Mousse, focusing more on the root area as you need more of a grip and hold to make the style stay in place. Take a Mason Pearson Brush and blow dry your hair flat to your head shape.

Then take another section and repeat. [Continue this with each section] until you get to the front. When you’ve reached the front, apply double the mousse that you did in the back of your head, mostly on the side and blow dry it again using any flat bristle brush. When you reach the top blow dry with a round brush to get the volume.

Once you’re done, apply a small amount of Oribe Balm D’or from the mid shaft to ends of your hair, and flat iron from mid shaft down to get it nice and smooth.

After your ends are smooth, apply Oribe Superfine Strong Hair Spray to the sides of your hair. Work one side at a time, so only spray the side you are working on, and take your flat brush and smooth it by brushing [the hair] back and following your head shape. Then move to the next side.

Spray the top lightly, but do not brush it out as you want to keep the volume.

You can use 2 large silver clips and a small piece of paper towel underneath the clip to hold the sides in place until you are ready to leave. Once you’re all set, take out the silver clips and you’re red carpet ready.

BB: Any must-have products to use while creating this look?
MS: Moroccanoil Styling Gel and Moroccanoil Treatment Light on ends.

BB: Final thoughts…
MS: When dry, finish with Moroccanoil Glimmer Shine spray [to add even more of that wet shine look].
JY: If you want your hair to appear wet more than slick, after you’ve sealed in your look with hair spray, use a coat of hair serum and some shine spray.

The jury’s still out on whether or not sleek, slick hair will replace mega texturized tresses, but for now, this is definitely a trend to try.

sheet-masks

Trending: Korean Sheet Masks For Every Skin Type

By | skin, trends | 2 Comments

Some of the most innovative skincare products come courtesy of hundred-year-old Korean skin practices. The newest trend in this burgeoning field is sheet masks, an Asian complexion secret weapon. We turned to Sarah Lee, co-founder of Glow Recipe (review her favorite waterless products list here), the premiere online Korean beauty destination, for the lowdown on the sheet mask trend.

Beauty Banter: Why are sheet masks trending in skincare?
Sarah Lee: The portability and ease of use have catapulted sheet masks to rock-star status in Asia and they’ve just started to gain traction stateside. The sheet mask offerings range anywhere from one dollar sheet masks to premium sheet masks that are soaked in an entire bottle of serum and cost dozens of dollars per piece. Women love the at-home-spa experience as well as instant results that the sheet masks provide.

BB: Explain the origin of sheet masks?
SL: Long before sheet masks became a staple in Korean skincare regimes, women would boil water underneath flowers and herbs, then capture the steam on a piece of silk, which they would then apply to the face.

Why are they big in asian skincare?
SL: Asian women, specifically Korean women, love layering highly concentrated treatments on their skin and are always looking for efficient, visible anti-aging and skin-glowing results. Sheet masks was one of the easy and efficient solutions for this demand which was actually in the Korean market over a decade ago, and interestingly, the sheet mask category is still fast growing in Asia, and now globally.

Korean women have also moved from fabric and cotton sheet masks to newer textures such as hydro-gel and biocellulose. These types of sheets hold more ‘juice’ (the industry term for the essence/ serum that the sheet mask is soaked in), and adhere more closely to the skin for instant results. Since sheet masks literally ‘wrap’ the skin for a prolonged period of time, we always look for paraben and mineral oil free offerings.

BB: What are the best sheet masks for each skin type?
SL: Brightening –  Whamisa Organic Sea Kelp Facial Sheet Mask ($14). This is an instant brightening secret of mine and also many customers that swear by the results. Made of 100% real, actual sea kelp rich in vitamins and minerals, this mask is a true luxurious ocean facial.

HydratingWhamisa Organic Flowers & Aloe Vera Fermented Hydrogel Facial Mask ($9). This clear jelly mask drenched in a full bottle of serum is a skin savior when traveling or having been under dehydrated areas. It’s my go-to for dryness and  instant hydration. The blend of fermented organic flowers provide maximum efficiency while being ultra gentle on the skin.

Anti-Aging – Whamisa’s Organic rice seeds hydrogel mask. Rice seed is an excellent ingredient when it comes to firmness and elaticity. This is a different flavor of the jelly mask above. What’s also great about is that it reacts to skin’s temperature and completely adheres to skin to directly deliver the ingredients and their benefits.

Tired/ Dull – Soyedodam ginseng hydrogel mask. Red gingseng is one of the most powerful anti-oxidant ingredients. It helps protect skin from environmental aggressors and free radicals. I personally take a spoon of red ginseng extract every morning and it definitely helps me awaken and power through long, hectic days! Good news is that it doesn’t smell like red ginseng at all, and in fact it’s a lovely sensorial clear gel mask that takes my skin to a youthful, energized look!

Combination to Oily – Celderma 3-in-1 Aqua mask. When I first saw these 3-in-1 masks in Korea a few months back, I thought it was pure genius, as Celderma really understands women’s insights! We all want to travel lightly, and still look glowing. For those with combination and oily skin types, this is the type of mask that doesn’t over-hydrate your skin, but gives it just the right amount that lasts all day.[Comes with] a super effective cleanser to prep and clean  and an ultra lightweight gel. Incredibly convenient, and a travel must-have.

BB: What comes next for sheet masks? Any new innovations on the horizon?
SL: Rubber masks have been used at celebrity spas for years and are a favorite among Korean influencers for maintaining a flawless complexion. Called ‘modeling packs’ or ‘rubber packs’ locally, the dense rubber helps to seal minerals into skin, leaving the complexion clarified and baby-soft without evaporation. Rubber masks often contain the ingredient ‘Alginate,’ a kelp derivative that congeals when in contact with water.
*Peruse the Modeling Rubber Mask Sets ($11) here.

Sarah’s final thought: “Don’t be afraid to mix and match! The best thing about a mask is the versatility – while your normal skincare regimen may treat your break-out prone combination to oily skin, you can easily try a soothing, hydrating leave on mask if your skin is feeling irritated and tight.”

landing

Fall Hair Trends

By | hair, trends | 2 Comments

When it comes to seasonal hair trends, the runway plays a crucial role in determining what styles will become the go-to’s for the seasonal ahead. Celebrity and editorial hairstylist Sheridan Ward, who has worked with Lake Bell, Chanel Iman, and Angela Lindvall, says that this coming fall we can expect to see “classic looks getting a modern twist and a big play on texture and structure. Simple, minimal, fuss-free beauty.” Inspired by Fall/ Winter 2015 fashion week runways, Sheridan examines three distinct trends that emerged: Pool glam, boyish glam, and the staple red carpet glam. Here, he explains how to recreate each look for a wearable fall style:

Pool Glam
From the pool to the runway or straight onto the cover of a magazine, wet raked through texture, with a clean, chic finish; easy, no mess, no fuss.

look-1

How-To:
1. While hair is damp, apply a generous amount of thickening spray through the entire front of the hair and rake through with fingers to create interesting texture and movement.
2. Secure with a hair band or hair tie at the base of the neck.
3. Allow the top to air dry or to speed things up use a diffuser.
4. Rough dry the pony tail and apply a heat protecter spray. Use a flat iron to smooth the ends and finish with touch of hair spray and a drop of serum.
5. Add a hair accessory or some hair jewellery to personalize.

Tools Needed:
T3 Featherweight Luxe 2i Dryer ($250); T3 SoftTouch 2 Diffuser ($30); Mason Pearson brush ($105).

Products Needed:
Bumble and bumble Thickening Hairspray ($29); Paul Mitchell Express Style Hot Off The Press ($18); Suave Professionals Touchable Finish Extra Hold Hairspray($3).

Boyish Glam
The girls are in charge; soft waves with a masculine front. Structured, cool, and strong with a feminine finish.

look-2

How-To:
1. Apply mousse to the first 3-4 inches of hair around the face, and blow dry away from your face with your paddle brush.
2. Get your part right, then apply a light dusting of texture powder at the roots of your hair around the face where you want the volume and hold to be.
3. Lightly tease your hair 1-2 centimeters at the roots where you want volume and hold, then smooth over with a soft bristle brush (taking care not to brush out that teasing). Set with a little hair spray.
4. Once you have the soft shape and structure you desire, clip it into place behind ears to secure. Using your styling iron, set the rest of your hair into 4-5 large curls at back of the head; pin into place and allow to cool.
5. Without disturbing the top of your hair, gently brush out your curls into soft waves, and mist with hair spray to finish.

Tools Needed:
T3 Featherweight Luxe 2i Dryer ($250); T3 BodyWaver 1.75″ Professional Curling Iron ($149); Mason Pearson brush ($105); pintail comb ($6).

Products Needed:
Kevin Murphy Body Builder Volumising Mousse ($19); OSIS+ Dust It Texture Mattifying Powder ($24); MoroccanOil Luminous Hairspray Medium ($21).

Red Carpet Glam:
Whimsical texture with an unexpected detail; putting the glam back into glamour.

look-3

How-To:
1. Take a 1cm wide strip of hair directly back from the hairline to the crown to create your part. Spray generously with hairspray and use your hair dryer on low speed and medium heat for 15-20 seconds to dry the parting into place. Finish with a cold blast of air to help seal it.
2. Spritz the remainder of the hair with a heat protector spray and set the hair with a large styling iron.
3. Pin warms curls onto the head as you go, mist generously with hairspray and allow to cool. (Note:this would be a great time to apply your makeup and put on a gorgeous frock.)
4. Unpin curls and with a brush or two of your paddle brush you’re almost done.
5. Lightly spritz waves with a dry texture spray, finish with a mist hair spray and you’re ready for the red carpet.

Tools Needed:
T3 Twirl 360 Motion-Sensing Auto-Rotating Curling Iron ($230); T3 Featherweight Luxe 2i Dryer ($250); Mason Pearson brush ($105); pintail comb ($6).

Products Needed:
Label.M Heat Protection Spray Unisex by Toni & Guy ($10); Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray ($42); L’Oreal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray Extra Strong Hold ($11).

*Follow Sheridan’s mane musings here.

*All photos courtesy of Sheridan Ward; model is Zoe Aggeliki, makeup artist is Stephanie Cozart Burton.

a013877e84fa0479c6623f3a82a87a60

Strobing: What It Is & How To Do It

By | makeup, trends | 3 Comments

You may have heard the term “strobing” being thrown around in beauty articles these past couple of weeks. Strobing is certainly grabbing a lot of attention as of late. And for good reason: Strobing is all about getting attention. It’s sort of a fancy term for a strategic highlighting technique that literally highlights certain areas of your face (usually the high points), as a way to draw focus to those features.

Still don’t quite get it? We called on celebrity makeup artist Hinako, who has worked with Miranda Kerr and Leighton Meester, to explain further. “To me, strobing is all about ‘painting’ luminescent highlights on certain areas of your face, rather than contouring your face with light-to-dark shading. It’s like ‘painting the light’ on your face for a healthy, fresh, and radiant look.” Don’t worry, you’re not required to have taken art class to ace this technique. Hinako explains how to easily achieve the strobing effect:

How-To: “I prefer using a combination of both strobing cream and powder. First, apply strobing cream in the places where light naturally hits your face, such as your cheekbones, down the bridge of the nose, the top side of the chin, the brow bones and the corners of your eyes, creating a seamless blend to the adjacent areas. As I mentioned before, it’s like painting on or augmenting where light naturally hits your face – the highlight areas. Next, add luminescent powder on the same areas, creating shimmery highlights. It’s up to you to play with – and choose – the amount of shimmer that works with your face and what you’re wearing. Remember to choose strobing creams and powders that match your skin tone, and that they don’t contain any glitter.”

Hinako’s Product Picks:
Tom Ford’s Shade and Illuminate ($80)
Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation Illuminator Sheer Beige ($39)
Nars Dual Intensity Blush in Jubilation ($45)

Editor’s Picks:
Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow Instant Soft-Focus Beauty Flash ($55)
Jouer Highlighter in Champagne ($22)
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Luminous Light ($45)

Final thoughts: “Strobing is a relatively quick way to give yourself a fresh look, so have fun with it.”

Bronde: The Newest Hair Color Trend

By | hair, trends | 2 Comments
Bronde

What does blonde plus brown equal? Bronde, this season’s hottest hair color trend (move over ombre!). As much as we hate the fact that summer is quickly winding down (wah!), we still need to begin to prepare for the first nip in the air come fall, and that means making our manes match the weather. Celebrity hair colorist Sharon Dorram, owner of NYC salon Sharon Dorram Color at Sally Hershberger, who has worked with Julia Roberts, Kate Hudson, and Christie Brinkley says:  “Bronde is the perfect bridge from summer to fall, and offers a subtle change without having to make a huge commitment.” Recently, stylish celebrities like Cara Delevingne and Beyonce have been spotted with this cool autumn hue.

We asked Sharon to elaborate on the bronde trend – who will it work on and how do we keep the shade vibrant for the cooler months ahead?

BB: Does the bronde trend work on all shades of brunette?
SD: Other than very dark brown hair, most light-to-medium brunettes can go bronde.

BB: What about various skin tones?
SD: As long as the color does not go two to three shades lighter or darker than your natural base color, bronde will flatter both tan and pale skin tones.

BB: What is the most subtle way to go bronde? And the most major?
SD: The easiest and most subtle way to go bronde is to do minor highlights to give just a hint of change. The most major way is to lift brunette hair to the desired lighter shade, and then tone out any warm or brassy tones. However, this technique will give a more obvious regrowth line.

BB: How can we keep bronde from turning brassy?
SD: Keep hair out of the sun and stay away from products with alcohol.

BB: What products do you recommend to extend color longevity after going bronde?
SD: As compared to bleaching, the bronde process is automatically healthier since it is more moisturizing. However, you should still use sulfate-free products and alcohol-free sprays and mousses to protect and extend the life of your color.

Try these products to protect your bronde:
R+Co Gemstone Shampoo ($24)
Leonor Greyl Paris Au Lotus Volumizing Mousse ($46)
Living Proof Prime Style Extender Spray ($20)
Rahua Voluminous Hairspray ($28)

What do you think of this trend? Do you have any plans to try it? Let us know in the comments below!

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com

NYFW 2015 beauty trends

5 Fall Beauty Trends To Wear Today (As Seen On NYFW Runways)

By | trends | 3 Comments

Fashion week beauty isn’t for the faint of heart. Most of the time, the looks are absolutely unwearable, albeit totally imaginative and artistic. In the words of Cher Horowitz, fashion week beauty is “like a Monet… From far away, it’s OK, but up close, it’s a big old mess.” That’s not to say that there isn’t inspiration to be found in these fantastical faces, but wearing the looks for everyday life isn’t really realistic.

But enough with originality that will never, ever look appropriate – or pretty – on the average face. We want wearable trends! That’s why we’re highlighting five fall beauty trends that you CAN actually wear… starting today. So, while you’re shopping for your new fall wardrobe and getting ready to leave summer’s tunics and sandals behind, implement these simple beauty trends into your look ASAP.

(follow along by clicking on the slideshow above)

The Exaggerated Cat Eye: For the past few seasons, graphic eyeliner has been a runway staple, and that’s not changing. But there’s also the exaggerated cat eye – as seen at Badgly Mischka and Alice + Olivia – which is sexy and wearable. The key to this look is flipping the wing high and allowing it to extend almost to the brow bone. Choose products that offer a seamless application, like MAC’s Fluidline in Blacktrack ($16) and Stila’s Liquid Eyeliner ($20) that is as easy as using a felt-tip pen.

Contour: Kim Kardashian has made contouring an art form, and while many of the runways are showcasing hollowed cheeks and chiseled chins, take it down a notch by lightly contouring under the cheekbones only, as seen at Suno, Derek Lam, and Zac Posen. Or do a bit more and work the double 3 contour technique; click here for a recap. The key to a naturally contoured face is in the application: Choose a brush that blends easily, like Becca’s The One Perfecting Brush (an absolute must-have tool) ($49) and a powder that isn’t overpowering, like Nars’ Contour Blush ($42). And skimp out on the blush; let the contour shade act as your sole cheek hue.

Rosy Cheeks: In stark contrast to the more monochromatic contoured cheek, the rosy cheek of Fall 2015 is proving to be rather colorful and bold, as seen at Prabal Gurung and Rachel Zoe. A flushed cheek tends to liven a face, creating a healthy complexion, even in the bleakest of weather. The key to this specific flush is to layer product as to make it noticeable. This isn’t about blending into the crowd! Layer a bold pink cream blush like Kevyn Aucoin Beauty Creamy Glow in Liquifushcia ($26) under a powder like
Charlotte Tilbury’s Cheek to Chic Swish & Pop Blush in Love is the Drug ($40) for added staying power.

The Red Lip: So, the red lip is no stranger to a runway, but we typically see this classic beauty staple on red carpets. However, shows like Naeem Khan, Phillip Lim, Monique Lhuillier, and Alice + Olivia are showcasing the crimson lip as the focal point of the face, a throwback to Old Hollywood glam, if you will. What sets this specific lip apart from red lips past? Not much, except it’s an absolute necessity to choose a darker, blue-red shade (as opposed to this season’s orange-red) and a matte formula like Nars’ Mysterious Red Velvet Matte Lip Pencil ($26), which was actually used at Naeem Khan. Another matte red worth investing in is Bite Beauty’s Matte Creme Lip Crayon in Fraise ($24), the ultimate in shine-free lip paint.

The Slick Ponytail: When it comes to fashion week hair, there is no shortage of fantastical updos. But, as the runways of Derek Lam and Carolina Herrera are proving, the classic slick ponytail is back in business. The fall 2015 pony is adorned with a pony holder accessory that wraps around the rubber band, creating an even sleeker vertical line; try Metal Mania’s ($8) or Jennifer Behr Lambskin Thin Ponywrap ($65). The slick pony falls lower than this year’s trendy high pony. In fact, it’s a nape-of-the-neck type of pony, coupled with super sleek, straight hair and slicked back bangs with zero flyaways.

470_diy_charcoal_face_mask

How To Get Better Skin: Charcoal

By | skin, trends | 3 Comments

Activated charcoal is the newest must-have beauty ingredient on the tongues (and faces) of beauty enthusiasts worldwide. The theory behind charcoal creating glowing, gorgeous skin goes something like this: Activated charcoal is actually carbon and carbon acts like a magnet, attaching itself onto dirt and oil and pulling debris out of pores. It absorbs over 100 times its weight in impurities, according to Wendy Brooks, director of global product development at Origins. Charcoal is ideal for oily and acne-prone skin, but every face can use a bi-weekly charcoal mask to deep clean. Yes, the formula is thick and black and resembles concrete, but it’s worth the ick factor for the healthy, clean, oil-free glowing skin that it leaves behind.

Here are a few charcoal-infused products to try today:

Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Charcoal Mask ($25) – A mattifying mask that absorbs oils and removes impurities.

Yes to Tomatoes Clear Skin Activated Charcoal Bar Soap ($5) – Wash your face clean with this heavy-duty charcoal bar. Prefer a liquid cleanser? Try Yes to Tomatoes Detoxifying Charcoal Cleanser ($10)

Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask To Clear Pores ($25) – A mask that pulls out all of the pore-clogging impurities.

Boscia Konjac Cleansing Sponge With Bamboo Charcoal ($15) – Use this pore-perfecting charcoal cleansing sponge to cleanse away the day.

Sephora Collection Bamboo Charcoal Blotting Papers ($8) – Oily skin has met its match. These thin blotting sheets remove excess oil without disrupting makeup application. Skin is left matte, refreshed, and oil-free.

trend-machiaj

3 Ways To Wear Summer’s White Eyeliner Trend

By | makeup, trends | One Comment

Few things look as glamorous against golden bronzed skin as the color white. So, it makes sense that one of summer’s sexiest eye looks is one that uses white eyeliner. Sure, there’s something a little mod about a thick white line on your eyelid, but white liner can also be applied to the waterline to create the illusion of whiter, brighter, bigger eyes.

Here, 3 ways to wear summer’s white eyeliner trend:

1. On the waterline – This is the most subtle and least obtrusive way to wear the trend. Glide a white pencil liner on to lower waterline and instantly awaken tired eyes. Try this look with any makeup, including a black mascara to give added drama and pop, like Kim Kardashian (above).
TRY: MAC Eye Kohl in Fascinating ($16) – glides onto waterline with ease.

2. On the lower lash line – For even more pop, do as Blake Lively does and line just below the lower lash line, carrying it towards the bridge of your nose. Gently smudge under the lash line and lightly around nose for an expert trick to make eyes look further apart. This look works best with a shimmering white, as it illuminates the inner corners.
TRY: Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Color in Seashell ($28), for a creamy shimmering off white that doubles as a highlighter for brow bone, or e.l.f. Essential Shimmer Eyeliner Pencil ($1), which has the consistency of a pencil but still manages to get the job done.

3. On upper lash line – This is definitely the more eccentric way of wearing the white eyeliner trend, evoking a ’60s vibe. You can do a thin line, a thick line, or even a cat eye. Keep the rest of your makeup simple, as this pop of white is more like a paint stroke. Opt for brown mascara to make the look less harsh and a bit more natural (try Dior Diorshow New Look Multi-Dimensional Volume & Treatment Mascara in Brown ($29)). If you’re feeling super frisky, line upper and lower lash lines and waterline. For this look, a malleable pencil or liquid liner in stark white is best.
TRY: Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Yeyo ($20) for a seamless glide or Make Up For Ever Aquarelle in White ($21); use with the MUFE 400 Calligraphy Brush to create graphic, dramatic lines.

BONUS: White eyeliners can also double as brow bone pencils. Apply directly under you natural brown line and smudge for an alternative to traditional highlighters. This also helps to make eyes and brows pop.