Category:  trends

thefemin-the-only-6-hair-trends-that-matter-right-now-05

The Fall 2016 Lob

By | hair, trends | No Comments

Every year there’s an It hairstyle. The one that all the cool girls are wearing. This season, much like last, it’s all about the lob (a.k.a. the long bob, hair that hits just above the collar bone). We’ve seen this style on an array of textures, from sleek and stick straight to messy, I-woke-up-like-this hair that actually takes a good 20-minutes to reproduce, but there isn’t an exact science to choosing “the look” for fall. Instead, it’s all about embracing what works best for you — trial and error, and a little bit of product should do the trick.

We tracked down Juan Carlos Maciques, celebrity hairstylist at Rita Hazan Salon in New York City, who works with Jennifer Lopez, Chrissy Teigen, and Michelle Williams, to explain how to rock the 2016 lob (and, can your face even pull it off?).

Check out our interview below for product picks and expert tips:

Beauty Banter: What is the fall lob and how is it different from season’s past?
Juan Carlos Maciques: The lob now is about personalizing it. Having it be flattering to your face and making it your own. It’s not necessarily about minimal layers and a strict set of rules – unless of course, that is what suits you best.

BB: Which hair textures can pull off this lob?
JCM: Having a wave to your hair is always best because it gives it more dimension or depth, plus movement. It’s more interesting to the eye to see differing directions in the hair. Very curly hair would just be a solid block, and very straight and fine hair would work better but would appear flimsy and flyaway unless it’s completely geometric and blunt.

BB: What face shape does the lob look best on? What face shapes shouldn’t try the lob?
JCM:It works best with rounder or oval faces as it’s more slimming. Narrow, long faces would just look more drawn.

BB: How can we make a lob fall-ready?
JCM: It’s best to place a product such as a mousse, like Alterna Bamboo Volume Weightless Whipped Mousse ($22), or salt spray, like Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray ($27) or R+Co Rockaway Salt Spray ($25), on damp hair as it adds grip and holds texture. Gently scrunch and let the hair air dry. If hair is more straight, you can always use a 1 to 1 1/2″ curling iron (I recommend Hot Tools ($40)) and gently and quickly wrap around the wand. You don’t want it to look set or done in any way. It needs to look effortless.

BB: What celebrities rock the best lobs and why?
JCM: Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Khloe Kardashian, Jennifer Lawrence, and Jessica Alba have done it so well. It’s always perfectly disheveled and effortless looking, and they make it look somehow glam and sexy at the same time.

In need of inspiration? Peruse our photo gallery of fabulous lobs above.