So many of the upcoming season’s trends are determined by what walks down the runways. From the clothes the models appear in to the makeup they wear, the trend forecasters are already busy predicting Fall 2012′s must-have designs, looks and colors. The same is true for nails. This past NYFW saw some impossibly chic nail designs. I called upon CND’s runway nail professional, Candice Manacchio, who designed the nails for many of the top shows, to give us her expert take on the biggest trends to come off the runway.
1. Pigmented Gemtones – Rich plums (CND Colour in Plumville) and inky navies (such as CND Colour in Midnight Sapphire) packed a gem toned punch on the runway. Get the high-shine look at home by applying CND Stickey Base Coat, CND Colour in Midnight Sapphire, and topping with CND Super Shiney Top Coat.
2. Hi-Tech Femme – Posh metallic nails contrast neutral clothing and give silk and wool sateens an industrial, urban sheen. These high shine nails in gold and silver were seen on the runway covering the full nail or edging a creamy French mani. Achieve this look with gold or silver foil leafing (found in your local craft store), by apply leafing with a gel brush. Make sure to use top coat to seal and protect your metal mani.
3. Sugared Neutrals – Creamy nude and lilac tones were a soft look on the runway for a clean and sophisticated finish. For a more creative spin, at Christian Cota CND designed “Terra Cota” nails that featured a neutral faded ombre that was reminiscent of drying clay. Other variations included removing the shine with CND Super Matte Top Coat for a velvety textured look. Get the “Terra Cota” nail at home by applying CND Colour in Putty to entire nail, and using makeup sponge, sponge on CND Colour in Chocolate Milk at the cuticle area to create the neutral faded ombre look. Finish with CND Super Matte Top Coat.
4. Leather & Lace – Nail art ran the gamut backstage at Fashion Week, but this type nail art was all grown up. Leather and lace was used in an edgy way at The Blonds (actual leather nails in luxe silver, high shine copper and jet black) and Joy Cioci, where black fishnet-inspired lace decorated the edge of the nail for a sexy spin on the French Manicure. Achieve the leather look at home with two coats of CND Colour in Blackjack followed by one coat of CND Super Matte Top Coat. For the fishnet nails from Joy Cioci, apply CND Colour in Putty and leave the free edge clear. Apply lace or fishnet found in a craft store with nail adhesive over the clear free edge and outline the fabric stitching with CND Colour in Blackjack for a clean look.
5. Whimsical Nail Art – From hypnotic swirls at Nicole Miller inspired by Jimi Hendrix tunes to the hand painted Phillipe Blond helmet heads at The Blonds and “Flirty Flower” bright tulip nails at Rachel Antonoff, nail designs were colorful and expressive on the runway. Get the “Time Machine” manicure from Nicole Miller at home by painting the entire nail with one coat of CND Colour in Plumville, then using a toothpick or detailing brush, swirl the following colors together: Electric Orange, Bicycle Yellow and Anchor Blue.
*all images courtesy of CND. CND Nails were on hand to create the looks for all shows depicted in this article.