Travel Tips For Gorgeous Skin
I’ve been on five planes in the past eleven days and FINALLY I’m home (back in L.A.). Flying isn’t exactly the best for your skin… or your health. Not only is it terribly dehydrating, it’s also dirty and the recycled air in the cabin of the plane actually recycles the germs and bacteria. YUCK.
So here are my radiant skin travel tips:
- ALWAYS use a MAJOR moisturizer prior to boarding the plane (and keep the moisturizer in your purse for periodic retouches). I like my new Weleda Wild Rose Cream – it’s great for normal to oil skin (like moi) – very soothing and hydrating, and it’s completely free of synthetic fragrances, colors, preservatives and raw materials, thus I’m feeding my skin exactly what I would feed my body – health and love! (And for those inquiring minds, this cream is very similiar to the Jurlique’s Balancing Day Cream (which includes rose and is ideal for maintaining balance) yet half the price!)
- Slather a soothing eye cream on your eyes prior to flight. I like MAC’s new Moisturelush Eye Cream. It helps to reduce puffiness (an effect of flying) and balances the skin’s moisture levels.
- NEVER wear make-up on a flight. Not even concealer. Make-up only clogs pours, especially with unnatural, recycled air!
- ALWAYS stick at Q-tip dip of Neosporin up your nose prior to boarding. This is a trick that I learned ages ago and it really works – Neosporin is an antibiotic – it fights the germs from recycled air and protects your nasal pasages, plain and simple.
- Continuously load your lips with tons of lip ointment. My pick: Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Protectant – it lasts for hours and truly hydrates (apparently, now it comes in a stick with SPF as well…. gotta try that asap!)
- To ward off bacteria that can cause acne, take an antiseptic stick on the plane. I use (it’s only $9.00 and lasts forever!). Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic that leaves the skin clean and blemish free. I apply this constantly throughout my flight!
- ALWAYS carry a heavy-duty hand cream. As I just posted, Frilly Lilly is my new fave! When I fly, I am constantly washing my hands so that I keep the germs at bay, and well, soap dehydrates even more, thus I apply hand cream on an hourly basis (at least)!
- Before the flight, try a cuticle oil or cream to moisturize and hydrate your nails. Flying can cause weak and brittle nails as well. Frilly Lilly also makes an outstanding Cuticle Oil – a drop on each nail, massage into the nail bed and you’re good to go (***bonus*** it smells fresh and delicious!)
- During the flight, constantly spray some sort of tonic or mist onto your face. This also aids in keeping skin hydrated. I adore the Pangea Organics Argentinian Tangerine & Thyme Facial Toner. Thyme is a natural antiseptic to ward off bacteria while tangerine heals, detox’s and calms. It’s all natural and incredibly soothing. I use it before, during and after the flight. And sometimes, I spray it on a cotton pad and wipe it on my face to get off the excess oil and grime.
- Load up on Vitamin C prior to flight. Try EMERGEN-C (I love the Raspberry flavor) and/ or AIRBOURNE. I take both. And drink TONS OF WATER. Fluids keep the insides hydrated!
- And the final tip, when you return home, use a moisture-intensive, vitamin-induced mask to replenish your skin! My pick: Mario Bedescu Enzyme Revitalizing Mask. Vitamin’s A & E are antioxidants while Alpha Hydrox aids in refreshing tired and dull skin!
Have any special flying tips? Let us know! Leave a comment below!