The List: 10 Beauty Products To Buy From Your Local (Organic) Supermarket
Full disclosure: I’m not the cooking type. I prefer my food pre-made and my fruits and vegetables cold pressed. But I do still venture to the supermarket on occasion, mainly to stock up on coconut water (my favorite!), snacks, and the occasional salad bar. The other day, while visiting my neighborhood Whole Foods on a quest for a quick and healthy lunch, I found myself in the beauty aisle (no shocker here). And it got me thinking: Could I actually shop for my beauty products and food all under the same roof? The answer is yes.
So, the next time you are at your local, organic market, put yourself to the test: Buy your groceries and your beauty goodies at the same time, in the same place. The grocery store is an untapped resource for some of the best natural beauty products on – and in – the market! The growing popularity of organic foods has spread to skin, hair, and body as well, so, naturally supermarkets are chock-full of healthy beauty delights. Here are my favorites:
*And if you prefer shopping from the convenience of your keyboard (or if you don’t live near a Whole Foods or the like), feel free to click on the links below and purchase the products online.*
1. Alba Botanica Hawaiian Body Scrub Revitalizing Sea Salt ($11) – All Alba products are pretty awesome, but you can’t beat an all-natural Hawaiian scrub… especially in winter when your skin is aching for some serious sloughing. This stuff smells good enough to eat (and is probably healthy enough to nosh on, too, although I wouldn’t suggest trying it!).
2. Nature’s Gate Biotin Strengthening Shampoo ($5) – Of all the “drugstore” shampoos, this is my favorite. It’s free of the bad stuff (sulfates and parabens), and chock-full of the good stuff. Plus, it cleans without stripping, so it’s safe for daily use.
3. Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel with Organic Aloe Vera Formula Toner with Rose Petal ($8) – An all-natural face toner that wipes away dirt, oil, and acne-causing buildup while leaving skin hydrated and soothed. This stuff is magic!
4. Jason Satin Shower Body Wash Chamomile ($14) – A longtime favorite body wash (that I would still gladly choose over expensive copycats), Jason’s Chamomile lathers to perfection, gently washes, and leaves my skin feeling baby soft. And it smells so delicious, I want to drench myself in it!
5. Dr. Hauschka Melissa Day Cream ($40) – A dreamy moisturizer for combination skin. It smoothes, softens, and purifies, and absorbs quickly for a beautiful matte finish.
6. Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Red Dahlia ($7) – The natural version of Nivea’s Fruity Shine Lip Balms. Shea butter moisturizes while adding a hint of tint to your pout. I carry these around in my bag at all times; they are definitely a buy-in-bulk product.
7. Heritage Rose Petals Rosewater ($6) – Heritage sprays have been a favorite of mine for years. You can use them on your face, hair, and body to douse yourself in refreshing hydration with the most magnificent rosy scent. Sometimes, I even opt out of perfume in favor of this natural, light mist.
8. Coconut Oil ($19) – There are a myriad of ways to use coconut oil (read them here), but I’m partial to using it as a makeup remover and shaving cream (for an exceptionally soft and easy shave). Regardless of how you choose to use the oil, make sure you purchase an organic and virgin make, and have a jar stashed in your beauty cabinet at all times. It never fails.
9. Kiss My Face Sensitive Fluoride-Free Natural Aloe Toothpaste Gel with Xylitol ($5) – Think of this as the all-natural version of Sensodyne. This paste won’t irritate sensitive teeth and gums, and is free of fluoride, artificial colors, flavors, and sweeteners so it’s healthy, too.
10. California Baby Calendula Cream ($21) – Sure, it’s meant for kids, but my skin is as delicate as a baby. And calendula is known for its soothing and calming properties, even for the most sensitive skins. I like to slather my body post-bath with a layer of this thick cream, from shoulders to toes. The mild lavender scent adds extra motivation.