Category:  tbt

hard candy ad

#TBT: Hard Candy Nail Polish

By | makeup, tbt | 28 Comments

It’s hard to forget ‘90s cult brand Hard Candy. Their edgy, unexpected nail polish shades were adored by teenagers – and loathed by moms – everywhere. Unlike their more demure counterparts, Hard Candy specialized in nontraditional colors and uber glitter formulas. Their popularity is due, in part, to marketing: Hard Candy was the definitive rock ‘n roll polish choice. And if you were lucky enough to score a bottle, you too, would be considered a bad ass rocker chick. It’s safe to assume that the brand was behind many schools, including mine, banning outrageous polish hues in their dress codes. We would be remiss not to mention the completely awesome ring that came on every bottle, despite never really being the right size. But somehow it felt like a two-for-oner. Buy the lacquer, get the ring for free.

Hard Candy seemingly disappeared in the early 2000s (RIP), but was brought back in 2009 by Walmart. Unfortunately, the second generation left much to be desired, so here are our current favorite polishes to fill that deep Hard Candy void:

The founder of Hard Candy recently launched new lacquer brand Smith & Cult ($18). The line features staples as well as unexpected colors, and can we discuss that packaging? Ogle-inducing, but we wouldn’t expect anything less from these ladies.

Confession: I have a weird obsession with sheer nail colors. I just love the clean, simple look that they give my nails. Lately, I’ve been rotating between these four perfectly sheer colors from the Deborah Lippman Whisper Collection ($18 each).

To be honest, I first tried ella+mila polish ($11) solely because of the logo; I absolutely adore elephants. I was pleasantly surprised by both the wear and shine of the brand. Even better, they are 5-free, meaning made without commonly used toluene, DBP, formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin and camphor, so healthy for my nails and the environment!

If you want the richest, brightest, and most opaque colors on the market, look no further than JINsoon ($18). The polishes are so shiny you may consider skipping a topcoat. All JINsoon products are 5-free as well.

As a recovering gel-mani addict, I was thrilled when CND came out with Vinylux Weekly Polish ($11). As long as you use it with the suggested Vinylux Top Coat, you’ll truly get a full seven days of wear.

Tip: keep your cuticles moisturized to prevent premature peeling of nail polish. I’ve been favoring Lush Lemony Flutter Cuticle Cream ($17) layered under m-61 Vitablast Vitamin C&E Hand Cream ($19) to keep my hands and nails healthy during these dreaded winter months.

Casey Sharbaugh currently resides in New York City and works in the fashion industry. In her spare time, you can find Casey spinning, trying new beauty products, or browsing the city for the best ice cream cone. Find her on Twitter at @caseyhshar

90s-lip-smackers-ad

#TBT: Bonne Bell’s Lip Smackers

By | makeup, tbt | One Comment

Just a few days ago, Bonne Bell announced that they were shutting down business (although this news has been refuted by certain outlets) and beauty addicts everywhere are mourning the loss. The company has been around since 1973 when they launched the world’s first flavored lip balm.  As pre-teens, Lip Smackers were collected like candy; Dr. Pepper was an extremely coveted flavor, but Cotton Candy and Strawberry were not to be missed either. While most of us weren’t allowed to wear colored lipstick as adolescents, Lip Smackers enabled us to skate around that policy with just the slightest hint of hue.

We like to think we’ve matured since our Lip Smackers days, but the need for a fabulous tinted lip balm still stands. Especially in winter, lip moisture is an absolute must (the hint of hue is merely a bonus). Go ahead and collect all of our top picks listed below. Instead of showing them off to your friends at recess, you can brag to your coworkers at the water cooler.

Pacifica Coconut Kiss Creamy Lip Color ($10) is deliciously creamy and imparts a gorgeous plum tint. It’s sweetened with stevia and contains coconut, so like your beloved Lip Smackers, you may be tempted to eat it, but thankfully this snack is calorie-free.

I previously raved about this mask here and I am still just as obsessed. I reach for my Bite Beauty’s Smashed Agave Lip Mask ($26) when I want natural color with my moisture. It’s a universally flattering shade of red wine that also gives my pucker some serious hydration.

Sometimes, you just have to treat yourself to something luxurious. By Terry Baume de Rose Nutri-Couleur ($56) is pumped full of softening rose flower and comes in six delectable shades.

Supergoop! AcaiFusion Lip Balm SPF 30 ($9) is the ideal tinted balm for a day in the sun. Acai is incredibly hydrating, and the high SPF will protect your lips from damaging rays.

Dior Addict Lip Glow ($33) is my newest balm obsession, although the product has been around for quite some time. It has “color reviver technology” that reacts to the chemistry of your lips, creating a unique shade for each pout.

For lips that are totally kissable, try Jane Iredale Sugar&Butter Lip Exfoliator and Plumper ($25). One end lightly exfoliates dry lips while the opposite end plumps and tints. Mwah!

Casey Sharbaugh currently resides in New York City and works in the fashion industry. In her spare time, you can find Casey spinning, trying new beauty products, or browsing the city for the best ice cream cone. Find her on Twitter at @caseyhshar

Herbal Essences

#TBT: Herbal Essences

By | hair, tbt | One Comment

OHH, yes! Yes! YES!! Who can forget this throwback Herbal Essences’ commercial’s tagline that erred on the side of awkward when the fake orgasm emanated through the TV… and your entire family was there watching along with you.

While that advertisement was certainly memorable, the product featured is as well. If there is a smell most closely associated with my pre-teen/teenage years, Herbal Essences is it. The shampoo was, in a word, intoxicating. Sweet and floral, it lingered in your locks long after your shower was finished. Although deliciously fragrant, Herbal Essences probably isn’t the best cleansing option if you are seeking seriously luscious and healthy locks. Lucky for us, advanced formulas, many of them sulfate-free, have hit the market and many of the options smell equally as delicious as HE.

Here are a roundup of a few of our current favorite, highly fragrant shampoos and conditioners:

If you’ve ever visited one of Drybar’s many locations, you know about the signature, faintly vanilla smell. Drybar Sake Bomb Shampoo ($23) is super hydrating and makes your bathroom almost as deliciously fragrant as the salon does.

Plain and simple, OGX Renewing Moroccan Oil Argan Shampoo ($8) smells awesome. And for eight bucks, it’s a total steal considering its effectiveness at cleaning but not stripping our strands.

We raved about this line here. In addition to creating shiny, bouncy hair, Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Shampoo ($24) has a wonderfully clean scent with a lingering hint of grapefruit.

If you gravitate towards scents that are a bit unique and unexpected, look no farther than Davines Oi Shampoo ($26). It will give your hair both shine and volume while leaving behind a delicious, somewhat musky aroma that you can’t quite identify but will love none-the-less.

For us gals that spend a fortune on perfecting our hair color, gentle shampoo vital to maintaining the health of our strands. Shu Uemura Art of Hair Color Lustre Shampoo ($60) is definitely pricey, but our highlights deserve the best. This concoction features rose of Japan, which nourishes your hair while leaving behind the powerful fragrance of a beautiful floral arrangement.

Casey Sharbaugh currently resides in New York City and works in the fashion industry. In her spare time, you can find Casey spinning, trying new beauty products, or browsing the city for the best ice cream cone. Find her on Twitter at @caseyhshar

Caboodle-Open-1

#TBT: Caboodles

By | makeup, tbt | 7 Comments

Beauty in the nineties was not to be missed: frosty pink lips, blue nails, glitter eye shadow, hair wraps, and more beauty blunders than one generation could handle. While we were stocking up on Kissing Koolers, mousse, and scrunchies, the real question is: Where did we keep all of our products? In our Caboodles, of course! Every girl had to have one (sometimes two) to organize all of the necessities. If we were lucky enough, it was even personalized with our name in bright, puffy paint.

Although we have matured (if only just a bit), we still desire a way to organize and tote around our must-have cosmetics. Unlike most of our beloved products from the 90s that have sadly gone to the product graveyard, Caboodles is still in business and you can even purchase an updated 2015 version here ($45). Caboodles Ultimate Organizer ($45). But if you’d rather leave Caboodles in your past, here are our other favorite options:

Anya Hindmarch Patent Leather & Clear Plastic Travel Case ($250) has multiple compartments to separate all of your products. The clear plastic exterior also prevents your favorite lip gloss from falling into a deep dark hole.

If you want a makeup bag that can double as a clutch, look no further than the 3.1 Phillip Lim 31 Minute Cosmetic Zip Case ($295).

Henri Bendel Brown & White Stripe Beauty Train Case ($70) has an amazing vintage look that feels like you’re packing your products for an ocean-liner voyage, even if  you’re really just taking the train home for the weekend.

For travel, Mark and Graham Audrey Striped Cosmetic Case ($99) will be your best friend. It has plenty of compartments as well as a removable pouch for your most crucial items (Eight Hour Cream, anyone?). This company also offers complimentary monogramming, AKA puffy paint for grown-ups.

However, if you take your traveling as seriously as your products, you may want to consider Rimowa Salsa Deluxe Beauty Case ($450). It’s totally indestructible and will basically let you bring your entire beauty arsenal everywhere.