Many women are under the misconception that beautiful hair has to break the bank. Totally false. As long as you are diligent about your ingredient list (steer clear of sulfates, parabens, and the like), you can find amazing hair products for a fraction of the price of expensive favorites like Oribe, Kerastase, and Fekkai.
Here are a few of our favorite drugstore hair products, all under $10:
1. Sauve Professionals Dry Shampoo Spray ($6) – Who isn’t a sucker for dry shampoo (second day hair happens to be better than freshly washed)? This totally affordable drugstore find rivals the expensive ones. It sprays clear and gives great volume!
2. Pantene Pro-V Medium-Thick Style Heat Protection & Shine Spray ($5) – If you’re a fan of hot tools, then you need this product. Not only is it affordable, but it’ll leave your strands soft, shiny, and protected.
3. Nature’s Gate Herbal Daily Cleansing Shampoo ($6) – An inexpensive, pH balanced, all-natural shampoo that cleans without stripping color. And it’s sulfate-free, so no carcinogens here!
4. L’Oreal Paris EverStrong Reconstructing Conditioner ($7) – Sulfate-free conditioner that adds nourishment, shine, and moisture to damaged hair. The rosemary mint scent is the perfect way to start your day. The complimenting EverStrong Sulfate-Free Shampoo is worth the under $10 price tag as well.
5. Yes To Baby Carrots Shampoo and Body Wash ($8) – This is a gentle yet effective everyday shampoo that doubles as a body wash! Safe enough for your baby, but good enough for you. And it’s subtle, sweetly delish smells makes it a treat, without any calories.
6. Garnier Fructis Style Sleek & Shine Anti-Humidity Hairspray, Ultra Strong ($4) – A hairspray that tames frizzies while giving great hold… without feeling stiff or hard. A steal, indeed!
7. Alba Botanica Hawaiian So Smooth Anti – Frizz Serum Gardenia ($8) – A healthy, natural, weightless serum that tames flyaways. Argan oil and plant-sourced keratin seal the cuticle to give strands optimal shine.
Summer’s around the corner and winter has most certainly left your skin pale and lackluster. How to get ready for the big season of sun? Bronzers, of course. In fact, we’re calling all bronzers to the rescue ASAP. And if you’re like me and refuse to let your face enjoy the sun, then you’ll be needing these bronzing powders all summer long to fake that sun-kissed complexion.
Here, a few of our favorite drugstore bronzers, all under $10 — because a golden glow doesn’t have to come with a hefty price tag.
1. Lorac Tantalizer Baked Bronzer; Travel Size ($7) – Sure, it’s smaller than the original, but it’s also 1/3 of the price. And the mini version doesn’t take away from the major punch of sun-kissed color, the baked tera cotta formula, and the light, luminous shimmer. For the full size (at $32), click here. Compare with Laura Mercier’s Radiance Baked Body Bronzer (a BB favorite at $55).
2.Rimmel Natural Bronzer ($5) – A matte bronzer that delivers sun-kissed skin at an affordable price. Comes in three shades, sun dance, sun light, and sun bronze (which seems to be the most universal hue). Compare with Dior Diorskin Nude Tan Matte Sunpowder ($52).
3. E.l.f. Studio Bronzer ($3) – There’s little that three bucks can buy you these days (a pack of gum, maybe?), but E.l.f. is stretching your dollar to include a gorgeous golden glow. This bronzer contains four shimmering shades that can be swirled around and applied to the face, or used separately to highlight and contour. Compare with Too Faced Beach Bunny Custom-Blend Bronzer ($32).
4. NYX Cosmetics Matte Bronzer ($9) – This matte formula gives good glow without any shimmer. Comes in light, medium, and deep tan for a natural, gorgeous sun-kissed complexion. Compare to Tarte Amazonian Clay Matte Waterproof Bronzer (a BB favorite at $30).
5. Milani Bronzer XL All Over Glow ($9) – This oil-free formula comes in 3 color options with a matte and shimmer shade in each. Highlight and contour or wear together for an all over, even golden glow. Compare with Shiseido Bronzer Oil-Free ($35).
6. Cover Girl Cheekers Bronzer in Golden Tan ($5) – This formula mimics the perfect tan without the sun and at a fraction of the price of prestige brand bronzers. And the small compact is ideal for on-the-go application (just make sure to apply with a kabuki brush like this one from Tarte!).
Buying beauty product after beauty product can take a serious toll on your bank account. The struggle is real, people. While certain expensive formulas are worth their weight in gold (i.e. eye cream with actual gold in it), there are others that are just as fabulous but for a more budget-friendly cost. Here are the best sunscreen formulas to load up on this summer, all for under $10!
If you are planning to break a sweat in the sunshine, reach for Neutrogena Cooldry Sport Lotion SPF 30 ($9). It will cool and protect skin through even the most intense activities… you know, like sunbathing.
Protect that pucker with Supergoop! Acai Fusion Lip Balm Broad Spectrum SPF 30 ($9). It’s a much better look than the white zinc favored by lifeguards.
Do you ever think about how exposed your hands are when driving? Keep Jergens BB Hand Cream SPF 20 ($7) in your glove compartment so that they will always be protected.
It may be designed for babies, but anyone who prefers a physical sunscreen over chemical will love Babyganics Mineral-Based Baby Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50 ($10).
A spray that is not only moisturizing but almost undetectable is quite a bold statement. L’Oreal Paris Advanced Suncare Invisible Protect Sheer Spray SPF 30 ($8) does that and more, since it’s also water resistant. L’Oreal, you shouldn’t have (but thank you!)
Sunscreen needs to be reapplied frequently and liberally. Throw Sun Bum SPF 30 Sunscreen Face Stick ($10) in your purse for on-the-go touchups.
Sunscreen that includes bronzing elements? Genius, since we don’t have any plans to get a real suntan anyway: Australian Gold Faces Sheer Coverage Kona Infused SPF 45 ($7), thank you.
Although all beauty products come with an expiration date, it’s especially important to follow chuck expired sunscreens to avoid ineffectiveness. Further, this is definitely not a product to apply sparingly. Indulge, people. And for under $10, no excuses!
-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com
Now that it’s more or less summer (the official start date is June 21), seasonal activities are in full swing. Chances are, you’re spending more than your fair share of time lounging and, if you’re lucky, frolicking on a sandy beach. Hopefully you’ve filled your wardrobe with the trendiest swimwear of the season, but have you stocked your beach bag with all of the necessities? No, says the procrastinator. Well, don’t worry. We’ve done it for you, and all under $10! Yes, you read correct: Here are the must-have beach bag essentials for under $10.
First and foremost, the right bag is key. The Target Solid Striped Mesh Beach Tote ($10) is versatile, and will also hold up if it gets wet or filled with sand.
The importance of a good SPF cannot be overstated. Just ask your mother (or us!). Sun Bum SPF 50 Disappearing Zinc Oxide ($10) is a strong yet sheer formula for extra exposed areas like your nose.
Certain things should never, ever get wet. AEO Graphic Beach Pouch ($9) will keep those items (might we recommend your iPhone?) safe and sound.
Perfection is impossible, especially when it comes to grooming down there. SweetEase Bikini Waxing Kit ($4) is ideal to toss in your bag for a dire situation, less you want to wear your cover-up into the water!
Of course, a soft beach towel is absolutely necessary for both sunbathing and post-dips in the ocean: Target Pink Polka Dots Beach Towel ($10) is so good.
We know you’re far too careful to ever expose your face to direct sunlight, right? Throw some shade with Funnywe Fashion Straw Derby Cap ($6).
Dips in the ocean or chlorine can dry out your strands. Fat Hair Advanced Repair Formula Leave-In Conditoner & Styler ($9) has a big name, but the pint-sized product is perfect to slip into your bag to condition and nourish your hair post swim.
Keeping your hair out of your face on windy beach days is a must. TIP: Twirl your locks into a high bun and secure with the Invisibobble ($8 for 3). You will be left with happy-hour ready and crease-free waves by the time you leave the beach.
A classic item with a bit of an updated twist: Old Navy Modern Flip Flops ($10). Must.
Cat-eye, aviators, and wayfarer styles are all overdone. Instead, reach for Urban Outfitters Cutout Round Sunglasses ($10) to expand your frame repertoire.
In the event you get more sun than you would like, Hampton Sun Continuous Mist Hydrating Aloe ($10) will soothe your skin in an instant.
-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: mascara is a female rite of passage… like bearing children, or wearing sky high stilettos. While you can find some amazing mascara formulations from prestige brands, you don’t necessarily have to shell out major cash to elongate your lashes. In fact, some of my favorite mascaras on the market are of the drugstore variety. Here’s the thing about mascara: No matter what, mascara will always dry out (mainly due to the alcohol content in the formulas), and old mascara gives way to clumps, flaking, and raccoon eyes. Why not save some ca$h and pick up a drugstore mascara that is just as good – if not better – than the high-end ones?
Here are some favorite mascaras for under $10:
CoverGirl LashBlast Volume Mascara, Very Black 800 ($6) – One of my all-time favorite mascaras (holy grail material), this formula lengthens, volumizes and declumps. Plus, the plastic applicator really gets into the lashes to separate.LOVE.
Maybelline Volum’ Express The Falsies Mascara Blackest Black ($7) – Maybelline manufactures a variety of HG-worthy mascaras, but this one is at the top of the list. The plastic wand is small enough to hug the lash line while coating and separating each lash for 8 times more volume.
L’Oreal Volume Million Lashes Excess Black ($9) – This newly launched mascara has a specialized wand with extra bristles for intense separation, volume, and that coveted fanned-out look.
e.l.f. 3-in-1 Mascara ($3) – Just because of the bargain price doesn’t mean that your lashes will miss out on big hitting elements like lengthening and volume. Love the wand, it reminds me of Givenchy’s Noir Couture 4-in-1 (for 10 times the price!).
CoverGirl Exact Eyelights Eye-Brightening Mascara ($7) – The clump-free brush separates and adds volume while the slightly colored formulas give your eyes a brighter look and feel. For brown eyes, use Black Gold; for blue eyes use Black Sapphire.
Rimmel Lash Accelerator Mascara Extreme Black ($9) – Natural Grow-Lash Complex works to lengthen lashes by 117% in just 30 days. While it will lengthen instantly, long-term effects are why this mascara is HG-worthy.
Almay One Coat Get Up And Grow Mascara ($8) – Lengthens and strengthens lashes and is ideal for sensitive eyes. The wand shape aids in reaching all lashes, including those itsy-bitsy ones.
Have a favorite mascara for under 10 dollars? Let us know in the comment section below!
Thick, sculpted brows are having a moment (make that a few baited moments). And while the current arch trend requires some hefty products to get the look, you don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars to achieve Cara Delevingne eyebrows. In fact, you can buy all of the tools needed to create this season’s filled-in and defined arches for under $10 each! There’s no excuse for spastic brows, so get shaping!
1. Maybelline Brow Drama Sculpting Brow Mascara ($8) – Tinted brow gel is like an eyebrow’s gift from heaven. It both holds brows in place and lightly fills in bare gaps. This is some serious stuff!
2. CoverGirl Professional Natural Lash Mascara in Clear ($5) – This cult-favorite clear mascara keeps brows in place — all day long. The formula rivals pricier competitors like Anastasia’s Clear Brow Gel at $22.
3. e.l.f. Studio Eyebrow Kit ($3) – This duo offers one wax and one powder to combine and create perfectly full arches.
4. Wet n Wild Ultimate Brow Kit, Ash Brown ($4) – If you solely prefer powder, this trio of complimenting colors will have your brows thick and defined in no time.
5. Maybelline ExpertWear Twin Brow & Eye Pencils ($3) – Celebrity makeup artist Robert Sesnek gushed that this is “possibly one of the truest and best blondes out there.” We’re fans of all of their shades and you get 2 pencils for $3… seriously!
6. Revlon Expert Tweezer, Slant Tip ($6) – Every brow needs a decent set of tweezers; stray hairs are a sculpted arches worst nightmare! While Tweezerman’s Ultra Precision Slant Tweezers ($35) are terrific, Revlon’s Expert Tweezer will give you the same slant at a fraction of the price.
7. Nyx Eyebrow Marker ($10) – If pencils, waxes, and powders aren’t your thing, there’s always the ease and precision of filling in your sparse arches with an eyebrow pen. Nyx’s marker works like magic and doesn’t smear or smudge.
By now, I’m quite certain that everyone knows the benefits of BB Creams – but we’ll recap the important ones: protection, hydration, coverage. It’s the Asian multi-tasking skincare import that has almost made foundation obsolete. At the very least, it has cut down on our morning beauty routine by at least 30 minutes. Moisturizer, SPF, serum and color correction can now be taken care of in one bottle. Oh, the genius! And what was once reserved for the prestige brands, is now a mass market specialty as well. BB creams have gone viral. Which means that everyone should own at least two. Here are some of the best BB Creams for under $10:
Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream ($7) – An 8-in-1 beauty balm that covers and protects for less than $8. Comes in 5 shades and offers SPF 30.
Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector BB Cream ($10) – Probably the favorite of the drugstore bunch, Garnier’s BB Cream, hydrates, covers and fights discoloration with vitamin C.
L’Oréal Paris Studio Secrets Magic BB Cream ($8) – Prime, perfects, hydrates and corrects with medium coverage while it illumiantes skin with encapsulated pigments infused in an ultra-light lotion.
CoverGirl Smoothers BB Cream ($7) – A 10-in-1 lightweight, sheer cream with broad spectrum SPF 15 that enhances, hydrates, and improves skin tone while blending effortlessly for a natural look.