It’s officially summer in four days (finally!). And the weather is acting according to season. Long, hot days that bleed into warm, humid nights. You’ll usually find me basking under my wide brimmed, floppy straw hat – a necessity for keeping the sun’s harmful rays off of my delicate face. But given the chance to find refuge under an awning or parasol (how I wish parasol’s were still trendy away from the polo field), I tend to turn to an updo as my summer style of choice. For one, updo’s – and I’m including pony’s and braids in this category – give your neck a chance to cool off. Secondly, there’s something very summer-sophisticated about wearing an updo as opposed to beachy waves. Sure, the beachy hair look will always be a summer staple, but it’s important to switch it up. You need a few day-to-night styles in your arsenal of hair ‘dos.
Celebrity hairstylist Josue Perez, who has worked with Gwyneth Paltrow, Cameron Diaz, and Sarah Jessica Parker, shares three of his favorite beach-chilling, BBQ-hopping summer hair styles. Take notes, these looks are easy to accomplish and may just come in handy for the holiday weekend (July 4th, that is).
The Deconstructed Braid
Inspiration: Whitney Port
“First, start by curling the hair for soft waves. Choose which side you’d like the braid to fall, and create a typical braid very very loosely. With a small tail comb, pull out pieces at random. This is where the look gets fun: you can texture it how you want. Pull out as many or as little pieces as you want for a slightly or more fully relaxed look. To keep the pulled out pieces in place, secure them on the side to keep the look intact.”
Difficulty: 2 out of 10
Products To Try: Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray ($22)
Woven Low Bun
Inspiration: Taylor Swift
“This look is all about smoothing the hair. Begin by blow drying really well for a smooth, silky feel. Start by teasing the top of the hair at the crown to add height. Next, choose your headband and secure into hair. Take the ends of the hair beginning at the bottom, and roll up, wrapping the hair underneath the headband. Use bobby pins to further secure the bun as needed.”
Difficulty: 3 out of 10
Products To Try: Living Proof Satin Hair Serum ($29)
The Sectioned Twist Pony
Inspiration: Olivia Wilde
“The first step is to blow dry the hair, ensuring for a smooth finish. Pull into a sleek pony tail, taking a piece of hair to wrap around the tie to cover it. The next step is to curl the pieces of the pony tail using a wide barrel curling iron, I use the Rowenta Beauty Curl Active Iron ($150) on my clients for big, soft waves. Once finished, divide the pony tail into two sections and twist together. Section the hair by evenly placing hair ties on the ponytail like shown above. For volume, gently tug on the sections to pull hair slightly out.”
Difficulty: 4 out of 10
Products To Try: Bumble and Bumble Curl Conscious Defining Creme ($29)
Summer is a time when hair doesn’t necessarily look it’s absolute best – but it should – cause you’re rocking a tan and feeling great! Factor in humidity, sun damage and chlorine, and hair can tend to be coarse, frizzy and even dull.
Here are my favorite summer hair products to have your hair in perfect beach-chic shape in no time!
1. A dry shampoo. Major necessity. I live for Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo With Oat Extract. It takes the oil out of my scalp and gives me perfect second day hair. I use it constantly in the hot and sweaty summer months.
2. An awesome curling agent. Something with a natural beachy wave kick. Bumble and Bumble Curl Conscious Reactivating Mist is a favorite, but John Frieda Frizz-Ease Spiral Style Curl-Defining Spray Gel is also great because it keeps frizzies at bay.
3. A Hair Mask is vital. Aveda makes one perfect for post sun. Sun Care After-Sun Hair Mask. It restores weakened hair Tamanu oil, shea butter, coconut and palm oils and contains 100% certified organic essences of neroli, ylang ylang and citrus.
4. Hair Sun Protector. Like your skin, the sun can damage your hair as well. Especially, color-treated hair. Invest in a hair SPF. Try Phyto Plage Protective Beach Spray Maximum Sun Protection Hair Sprays. It provides a UV filter, prevents color oxidation and preserves hair shine.
5. Frizz-free product. The humidity has a tendency to make hair puffy and frizzy. You’ll need an oil or serum to counteract. Try Ouidad Shine Glaze, a serum that smooths flyaways while adding sheen. Good-bye puff!