Yes, a black lip is actually wearable… even if you’re not a supermodel. But there are certainly ways to make this fall trend more everyday-friendly than simply swiping on a jet black lip gloss (see: Kendall Jenner).
So, how does one rock the black lip trend without looking, well, like our nineties goth spirit self? Here are a few helpful tips for making a black lip cool and classy.
Opt for a sheer black and layer with a nude lipstick. As Lipstick Queen suggest, a hoser black lipstick “has the effect of wearing black lace on your lips. Worn alone, it casts a smokey veil over the lips’ natural color. Worn over another full-coverage lipstick, it transforms the color into a sexier, smokier version.” Dramatic!
TRY (and most certainly buy) this season’s must-have black lipstick: Lipstick Queen Black Lace Rabbit Lipstick ($24), a sheer black with delicate gold shimmer.
Keep the rest of your face bare. If you’re going full black lip, you’ll want to keep the rest of your features extremely natural. A flawless, dewy complexion is key when sporting a matte black. For a glossy black lip, opt for a matte complexion.
TRY: Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist ($48), a favorite of Kim Kardashian, use this spray to set makeup with a healthy dew. For a matte appearance, try Nars Soft Velvet Loose Powder ($37) for a smooth, velvety finish that also curbs oil production.
If full-bodied black pout still feels too over-the-top, opt for a deep burgundy to still be on-trend. The moody lip look can still be achieved with a black-red shade, i.e. a deep wine or burgundy hue, that isn’t exactly black, but it’ll give you the same dramatic feel.
TRY: Nyx Soft Matte Lip Cream in Transylvania ($6), a berry-black, or Tart Tarteist Creamy Matte Lip Paint in Frenemy ($20), a wearable deep burgundy, or Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar Liquid Lipstick in Black Dahlia ($16), a synthetic preservative-free blackish-red liquid lipstick.
Shop these black lip glosses and sticks:
Summer beckons us to take things down a notch – from our clothing to our hair to our makeup. A face full of makeup in sweltering heat and humidity is – quite literally – a recipe for disaster. But the sun also dries out our skin (and hair, but more on the latter in another post), so we must remember to keep our lips hydrated. And if we’re able to douse a little color in there, well, a hint of tint never hurt anyone… even in summertime. In fact, a tinted balm will moisturize and shine, but without the added weight and stickiness of gloss or the dryness of a matte or stain.
Here are 6 tinted lip balms to own today:
1. Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm ($17) – Each of these 16 colors will have your lips singing all season long, but Fuller Fig, a sheer pinky beige, is, quite possibly the perfect pinkish nude for summer (not to mention that Tina Fey is a fan).
3. Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm ($7) – Again, all 9 of the sheer tinted balms are amazing for day and night, but Red Dahlia, a crimson-cranberry is our summer go-to for a hint of tinted drama (and moisture).
4. Nivea Kiss Of Care & Color Sheer in Sheer Pink ($5) – For those that like a little petal pink on their summer pout, look no further than Nivea’s coveted tinted balms, redesigned with sleek new packaging. At $5 a pop, buy all four colors and switch off from day to day.
5. Benefit Cosmetics Hydrating Tinted Lip Balm in Benebalm ($18) – This sheer candy red gives your summer lips that beautiful faded red glow, with all of the hydration that your mouth can take.
6. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment Sunscreen SPF 15 in Plum ($23) – If you’re a lover of berry shades, look no further than Fresh’s cult-classic. While every color is divine, Plum is this beauty writer’s absolute favorite. A creamy berry hue that glides on with pure hydration and a healthy dose of plum sheen.
*TIP: While the consistency is sheen and the formula is malleable, use these tinted balms as cream blushes, too. Just dab onto apples of cheeks and gently blend for a dewy, glowing burst of sheer color.