Yes, a black lip is actually wearable… even if you’re not a supermodel. But there are certainly ways to make this fall trend more everyday-friendly than simply swiping on a jet black lip gloss (see: Kendall Jenner).
So, how does one rock the black lip trend without looking, well, like our nineties goth spirit self? Here are a few helpful tips for making a black lip cool and classy.
Opt for a sheer black and layer with a nude lipstick. As Lipstick Queen suggest, a hoser black lipstick “has the effect of wearing black lace on your lips. Worn alone, it casts a smokey veil over the lips’ natural color. Worn over another full-coverage lipstick, it transforms the color into a sexier, smokier version.” Dramatic!
TRY (and most certainly buy) this season’s must-have black lipstick: Lipstick Queen Black Lace Rabbit Lipstick ($24), a sheer black with delicate gold shimmer.
Keep the rest of your face bare. If you’re going full black lip, you’ll want to keep the rest of your features extremely natural. A flawless, dewy complexion is key when sporting a matte black. For a glossy black lip, opt for a matte complexion.
TRY: Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist ($48), a favorite of Kim Kardashian, use this spray to set makeup with a healthy dew. For a matte appearance, try Nars Soft Velvet Loose Powder ($37) for a smooth, velvety finish that also curbs oil production.
If full-bodied black pout still feels too over-the-top, opt for a deep burgundy to still be on-trend. The moody lip look can still be achieved with a black-red shade, i.e. a deep wine or burgundy hue, that isn’t exactly black, but it’ll give you the same dramatic feel.
TRY: Nyx Soft Matte Lip Cream in Transylvania ($6), a berry-black, or Tart Tarteist Creamy Matte Lip Paint in Frenemy ($20), a wearable deep burgundy, or Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar Liquid Lipstick in Black Dahlia ($16), a synthetic preservative-free blackish-red liquid lipstick.
Shop these black lip glosses and sticks:
Summer beckons us to take things down a notch – from our clothing to our hair to our makeup. A face full of makeup in sweltering heat and humidity is – quite literally – a recipe for disaster. But the sun also dries out our skin (and hair, but more on the latter in another post), so we must remember to keep our lips hydrated. And if we’re able to douse a little color in there, well, a hint of tint never hurt anyone… even in summertime. In fact, a tinted balm will moisturize and shine, but without the added weight and stickiness of gloss or the dryness of a matte or stain.
Here are 6 tinted lip balms to own today:
1. Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm ($17) – Each of these 16 colors will have your lips singing all season long, but Fuller Fig, a sheer pinky beige, is, quite possibly the perfect pinkish nude for summer (not to mention that Tina Fey is a fan).
3. Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm ($7) – Again, all 9 of the sheer tinted balms are amazing for day and night, but Red Dahlia, a crimson-cranberry is our summer go-to for a hint of tinted drama (and moisture).
4. Nivea Kiss Of Care & Color Sheer in Sheer Pink ($5) – For those that like a little petal pink on their summer pout, look no further than Nivea’s coveted tinted balms, redesigned with sleek new packaging. At $5 a pop, buy all four colors and switch off from day to day.
5. Benefit Cosmetics Hydrating Tinted Lip Balm in Benebalm ($18) – This sheer candy red gives your summer lips that beautiful faded red glow, with all of the hydration that your mouth can take.
6. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment Sunscreen SPF 15 in Plum ($23) – If you’re a lover of berry shades, look no further than Fresh’s cult-classic. While every color is divine, Plum is this beauty writer’s absolute favorite. A creamy berry hue that glides on with pure hydration and a healthy dose of plum sheen.
*TIP: While the consistency is sheen and the formula is malleable, use these tinted balms as cream blushes, too. Just dab onto apples of cheeks and gently blend for a dewy, glowing burst of sheer color.
Our love affair with Bite Beauty is well documented (just click here and here), and now we have another range of lip products from the brand to keep that flame aglow: Bite Beauty Butter Cream Lipstick.
With eight shades all in the nude and neutral spectrum and a creamy satin finish, the Bite Beauty Butter Cream Lipstick is not only wearable, it’s a summer barely-there prerequisite that will become your daily go-to hue(s). You know how some nudes give that dead-girl-just-hopped-out-of-a-coffin look to your precious pout? Not these shades. Each color is designed to enhance your natural lip color. In other words, your lips, just better (with a bit of bite, pun intended).
Why we like it: Besides the buttery cream formula and the universal wearability of the shades, these lipsticks are “handout,” meaning that the manufacturer has removed the outer waxy layer of each lipstick to expose the creamy core. The result is all color and hydration on the first swipe.
Lip balm, lip conditioner, lip treatment, however you choose to call it, that formula that you put on your lips to heal dryness is a must year round. Especially in summer, when we tend to lighten our makeup load, a colorless lip balm can both restore and conditioner our pouts while also adding a hint of natural sheen. And, yes, the sun will dehydrate your precious pucker almost as much as winter’s wind and plummeting temps.
Here, a few of our favorite lip balms that go everywhere with us – from the office to the beach:
Beautycounter Lip Conditioner ($20) – It feels as though it’s exfoliating the dead skin when applied, then leaves lips coated in a delicious mix of chamomile and calendula oils. (non-toxic)
Lanolips Banana Balm ($14) – Healthy lips with healthy ingredients like banana extract and a host of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to leave lips smooth with a hint of natural shine.
Kat Burki Glossy Lip Treatment ($28) – This cult-favorite formula of cold-pressed coconut oil and vitamin E hydrates, conditions, and restores dry lips while leaving the mouth plumped and glossy (without the stickiness).
Fresh Sugar Sport Treatment ($25) – This water-resistant SPF 30 formula can also be used on eyes and face. Ideal for those who like to get their watersports on.
Rohr Remedy Gumbi Gumbi Lip Balm ($12) – From the Australian outback, this all-natural ointment contains gumbi gumbi and vitamin E to nourish and protect, leaving lips smooth and moisturized.
Lip paint seems to be on the lips of every fashionista as of late. Not just painted on their pouts, but also spewing out of their mouths. After all, Kylie Jenner’s Lip Kits have redefined the desire for stay-all-day lip wear. But these new iterations are much more pigmented than the tried-and-true stains of yesteryear: The lip paint is a hybrid of a stain and a matte lipstick, sometimes even a gloss, except they miraculously stay put for hours (hence the “stain” element). And since Kylie’s Lip Kits seem to sell out faster than the coveted Mansur Gavriel bucket bags (which are randomly in stock right now so hurry!), here are the next best things for stains with a color punch that promise not to budge (even after a little lip lockin’).
Here, some of our favorite lip paints in a variety of finishes:
1. Yves Saint Laurent Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stain ($36) – A glossy finish that somehow doesn’t budge.
COLOR PICK: Rouge Vintage is a universal berry shade that gives a hint of natural hue to lips.
2. Tarte Tarteist Creamy Matte Lip Paint ($20) – As the name suggests, this is a creamy matte finish the dresses the lips in high pigment without dressing your glass.
COLOR PICK: Be, a deep crimson red, and Fomo, the perfect mauve for a neutral pout with a hint of pink.
3. Laura Mercier Paint Wash Liquid Lip Colour ($28) – A bold demo-matte finish.
COLOR PICK: Golden Peach is a universally flattering peach-nude with coral undertones. Sheer but bold (if you get our drift).
4. Milk Makeup Lip Color ($22) – A matte finish, like paint, it goes on strong and stays on long.
COLOR PICK: Gnarly is a fuchsia shade that is rather wearable and surprisingly flattering for medium to deep skin tones.
5. Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Liquid Lip ($9) – Like Kylie’s metallic paints, this formula has some shimmer… and last for up to 24-hours (so they claim).
COLOR PICK: Iconic Iris, a metal-y mauve, and #1 Nude, a shimmering bronze-nude.
The vamp lip has been trending since last season, and it looks like it will be the color to covet come fall. In the interim, try this dark and dramatic shade that is universally flattering and looks fab on all lips and all skin tones.
This season’s red is dark, moody, and sometimes even vampy with a hint of purple. Celebrity makeup artist Kristin Hilton, who has worked with Jaime King, Allison Williams, and Uma Thurman, says: “I’m sure you’ve heard, but the ’90s are back.” And there is no better indication of nineties inspiration than that of the bold assortment of vampy runway pouts, as seen at Zac Posen, Erdem, Rodarte, Gareth Pugh, and Nicholas K.
“What do these lips have in common? Think deep, bold, opaque shades for a show-stopping pout,” says Kristin.
Kristin’s favorite nineties lipstick:
1. NYX Lip Cream in Copenhagen ($6)
2. Lime Crime Velvetine Matte Lipstick in Wicked ($20)
3. NARS Audacious Lipstick in Liv ($32)
4. Maybelline Lip Studio Color Blur in Partner in Crimson ($7)
1. MAC Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolour in High Drama (*this was the exact color used at the Zac Posen show ) ($20)
2. MAC Lipstick Viva Glam Ariana Grande ($17)
3. Tarte Tarteist Lip Paint in Frenemy ($20)
4. Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Chianti ($24)
Paint your pout pretty today!