Tag:  8 hour cream Archives - Beauty Banter

How To: 10 Ways To Use Elizabeth Arden’s Fragrance Free Eight Hour Cream

By | how to | 10 Comments

Sometimes, even a classic can do with a few updates. And after 80 years, Elizabeth Arden’s iconic Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant ($19.50) has done just that – with a bit of an eco twist. The new fragrance free version offers those who don’t (or can’t) use synthetic fragrances the chance to get all the benefits of this little black dress for skin care and repair without a paraben to be found. Which makes this green beauty loving girl very happy.

Since we’re both fans, Sarah and I  put our heads together to share our list of just some of the ways Miss Arden’s brilliant balm can enrich your life (no pun intended).

*from left: glossy lids, stained and glossed lips, highlighted, glossy cheekbones, shiny limbs.

Here are our Top Ten Eight Hour Tips and Tricks:

1. As a highlighter on cheek and brow bone – Dab a small amount onto the area and gently tap into the skin for a luminous shine.
2. Over shadow to create a glossy lid (love mixing textures; very on trend for Spring). L’Wren Scott used a glossy lid in her spring 2012 NYFW show.
3. On lashes to make them look shiny and healthy, and a bit like they have mascara on them. This is a great trick if you are sleeping at a boy’s house and want to look fresh-faced and wide-eyed without the makeup (but still may need a bit of beauty help). The “shiny lashes” secret really opens up the eye area.
4. On brows at night to condition. I also use it by applying in an upwards motion to train them to grow “up” – kind of like training a pesky cowlick.
5. Layered on top of a lip stain to create a gorgeous barely-there, natural hue with a come-hither gloss for freshness. Think of it as a just bitten lip, or eating berries in the garden and then licking your lips. Quite sexy, oui?
6. On legs (or arms or stomach) to give mega-shine, elongating for a thinning effect. Word on the beauty street is that the Sports Illustrated models slather 8-Hours cream on their arms and legs for extra thinness and a whole lot of shine appeal while shooting in those barely-there bikinis. For day or night, mix it with liquid bronzer to give legs a bit of color, too.
7. On hands for an instant mini manicure – rub it into cuticles to give your hands a polished finish. It soaks right in so hands aren’t greasy.
8. On elbows and heels, it’s the perfect way to pamper your skin during these colder, dryer months.
9. On flaky patches of skin before you put on makeup to hydrate any dry spots or patches. Rub in just a dab (a little goes a long way) then apply makeup to fake a flawless finish.
10. On burns – by sun, flat iron or pan – use the “skin protectant” properties to sooth and hydrate. (The story goes that the cream got its name because a woman used it on her child’s scraped knee and it looked fine after just…eight hours.)
You can find the new fragrance free cream online at www.elizabetharden.com and at Elizabeth Arden counters nationwide, alongside the entire Eight Hour line.
Now tell us, why do you love it?  xo sarah & alex
images from www.alexashersears.com and www.beautybanterimspiration.tumblr.com – follow us on tumblr for beauty inspiration!