Spring 2013 Runway Nail Trends RECAP

The last of our three part Spring 2013 runway recap series: nails. While bedazzled tips are still a mega trend for spring, there will also be more off-the-wall looks like 3-D and talons. Either way, nails are becoming a must-have statement accessory. Gone are the days of classic red, hello to metallic and two-toned hues!

Here is our New York Fashion Week nail trend recap in two parts: must-have colors and nail art inspiration + we’re giving you some DIY nail looks courtesy of Deborah Lippmann.

Must-have’s:

Barely There Hues

Come next Spring, dust off those winter blues with barely there hues of soft pinks and nudes. Spotted on a plethora of models at Rodarte, Douglas Hannant, Marc Jacobs and many more, there is no denying an au naturel tip and we’re the last to contest. Though I’m still  fan of pretty sheer pinks, nail guru Deborah Lippmann adds, “Nude continues to be a big trend.  We’re moving away from sheer pink, and will see more of a full coverage mauve or nude.” To get the look, check out: Essie in Allure, CND in Tutu, Deborah Lippmann in Naked, and Shirley Temple Peony by Priti NYC.

Silver Shine

For a little more shimmer, extend your love for Fall metallics through to Spring. Erin Fetherston’s silver metallic nail polish was to die for but for something a little more subdued but equally beautiful, look to Christian Siriano with an ever-so-subtle lilac and pink sheen. For your silver laden tips, here are my top picks: MAC Discothèque, Essie There’s No Place Like Chrome, CND Silver Chrome, and Sephora by OPI Queen of Everything.

Duo Tones

One trend I am dying to try are duo tones. Always a fan of color and punch, this is the ultimate nail trend come Spring 2013. What I love about this trend is that you can personalize your tips with a half-moon manicure as seen at Naeem Khan, a diagonal tip à la Lauren Moffatt, or something as simple as a colorful take on a French mani, like at Jenni Kayne. Remember to keep your base fairly neutral so your tips will be as vibrant as ever!

Must-try Nail Art:

Nail art isn’t going anywhere, so why not indulge in the trend. As Deborah Lippmann points out, “I think nail art is still big, and it’s such a fun way to express yourself. I created gingham nails for Kate Spade this season, and I think that it’s a trend we’ll continue to see.  Last season we saw a trend come to life with the polka dot nail from Kate Spade, and I think that we’re going to see the same with gingham this spring.

Talons

This is a trend that is much too bold for me, but perhaps you’ll enjoy experimenting with. A great beauty (and fashion) statement, your fingers will appear elongated.. and who doesn’t like that? Runway trendsetters include Katie Gallagher, Angel Sanchez, Kate Spade and Tracy Reese!

Bejeweled

Love sparkle? Me too. I also love glitter nail polish for that very reason but if you’re looking for something with a little more sparkle, check these runway-ready nail tips. My favorite was from Joy Cioci on the left. So elegant but also the very definition of beautiful nail art. If you’re feeling adventurous, may I suggest The Blonds silver encrusted manicure? Sparkle, sparkle.

Going 3-D

What scares me the most about nail art is my own clumsiness. Am I capable of keeping my nail art intact for more than 24 hours? I’m not entirely sure. In the meantime, I’ll stand in awe at these gorgeously creative nail tips from Deigo Binetti (they look like butterfly wings!) and Ruffian (gold appliqués are perfect for the holiday season). Absolutely swoon-worthy.

Gingham Style

How insanely colorful and crazily gorgeous were the nails at Kate Spade?! We have a special treat for you vis-à-vis Ms. Deborah Lippmann, the creator of this beautiful Spring look.

Deborah Lippmann’s DYI Kate Spade Gingham Nails:

To help create the look at-home if you do not have a striping brush or steady hands, you can create a stencil but it requires patience!

Step 1: Two coats of Amazing Grace
Step 2: Once fully dried (1 hour recommended), cut thin strips of tape to create a stencil for the vertical lines. Keep in mind that wherever the tape goes on the nail, white will remain when the tape is lifted.
Step 3: Place the thin strips of tape vertically across the nail, making sure they are spaced evenly. Once you have placed the thin strips of tape vertically across your nail, apply the gingham lacquer of choice.
Step 4: Once painted, carefully remove the tape after about 30 seconds – it’s important to note that if the lacquer is too wet when the tape is lifted it may run, and if the tape is lifted when the lacquer is dry the tape may rip.
Step 5: Once the vertical lines are completely dry (recommend waiting time: 1 hour), cut thin strips of tape to use for the horizontal lines while ensuring that they are the same thickness as the strips used for the vertical lines. When placing the strips on the nail, be sure that they are evenly spaced so that you make perfect squares of white in between the lines.
Step 6: Once the horizontal lines have been painted and the tape has been lifted, finish the nail with a top coat.

Here are the shades used for the show, to help replicate the look. The pink gingham was created using I Kissed A Girl, while It Girl was used for the yellow gingham – both of which are shades from my Run the World (Girls) set. The royal blue gingham was created using My Prerogative from an upcoming She’s Always A Woman holiday set, while Lara’s Theme – a shade created with Lara Stone – represented the orange. We also created a custom mint green lacquer for the show using a combination of existing shades – Amazing Grace, On the Beach and Yellow Brick Road.

To create the custom mint green combine the below:
1/2 bottle of Amazing Grace
1/4 bottle of Yellow Brick Road
1/4 bottle of On the Beach

By Beauty Banter’s in-house assistant, Sara Ng

tagged in: , ,

related posts:

Fall Trend Forecasting With Sonia Kashuk
Trend: The New Nude Lip For Summer
Style: Sol Mate

No Comments Yet

You can be the first to comment!