Spring 2013 Runway Makeup Trends RECAP

FWLandingPg

Spring 2013 Runway Makeup Trends RECAP

Before it’s in a magazine or on a celebrity, it’s strutting down a runway. Fashion Week creates trends that become permanent staples for a season. From New York to Paris, we’re taking a look back at the faces that graced the runways in the 4 fashion-forward cities for spring 2013. While some looks are meant to stay on the runway (like Vivienne Westwood’s exquisite heart face paintings, crafted by none other than the artistic genius Val Garland), others, like red lips and matte skin, will be making their way to trend status this spring.

Here are our top 5 spring 2013 makeup trends, from the runways of New York, London, Milan, and Paris.

(1) Less is more. Have our mothers not taught us many times before, that less is more? The international fashion runways are no exception, as many designers kept their makeup simple, clean, and very much alive: focal point on a flawless, matte complexion.

(Left to right: Helmut Lang, Sass & Bide, Salvatore Ferragamo, Damir Doma)

NEW YORK
SHOW: Helmut Lang
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Hannah Murray for NARS Cosmetics
LOOK: “The focus is really on the skin, which is fresh, sporty and scrubbed clean.”

LONDON
SHOW: Sass & Bide
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Charlotte Tilbury for MAC Cosmetics
LOOK: “No makeup make-up.. handsome brow, fresh, natural, youthful, androgynous beauty.”

MILAN
SHOW: Salvatore Ferragamo
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Tom Pecheux for MAC Cosmetics
LOOK: “Minimalistic purity.”

PARIS
SHOW: Damir Doma
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Carole Columbani for MAC Cosmetics
LOOK: “Purity and shading.. androgynous makeup.”

(2) Color, color, colorful lids. What’s spring without a burst of color? Whether it be soft, bright, or bold, we’re very excited to paint our lids every shade of the rainbow.

(Left to right: Donna Kara, Antoni & Alison, Frankie Morello, Christian Dior)

NEW YORK
SHOW: Donna Karan
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Charlotte Tilbury for MAC Cosmetics
LOOK: ” Blank canvas with sci-fi, modern feel.”

LONDON
SHOW: Antoni & Alison
LOOK: Bold and playful eyes in blue, purple, and green.

MILAN
SHOW: Frankie Morello
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Terry Barber for MAC Cosmetics
LOOK: “Very 60s shape on the eye, feline, think 60s sci-fi, Barbarella, Jean Shrimpton.”

PARIS
SHOW: Christian Dior
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Pat McGrath
LOOK: “Techno butterflies.”

(3) Smack ’em red. Red lips in March? Why not! No longer just a hue for the Fall/Winter months, red  – and orange – is now a focal point for springtime.

(Left to right: Carlos Miele, Burberry Prorsum, Moschino, Jean Paul Gaultier)

NEW YORK
SHOW: Carlos Miele
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Gato for Maybelline
LOOK: “Sunkissed beach girls.”

LONDON
SHOW: Burberry Prorsum
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Wendy Rowe for Burberry Beauty
LOOK: “Modern-day, sassy girl. She’s very flirty.”

MILAN
SHOW: Moschino
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Tom Pecheux for MAC Cosmetics
LOOK: “60s meet Lana Del Rey.”

PARIS
SHOW: Jean Paul Gaultier
LOOK: An homage to 80s pop — Boy George, Madonna, Michael Jackson

(4) Walk the black line. Thick or thin, black eyeliner is a staple of every girl’s makeup bag. This season, we’re seeing thin lines for a demure eye and heavier, graphic lines for a more extreme and dramatic look. Which look do you prefer?

(Left to right: 3.1 Phillip Lim, Temperley, Antonio Marras, Lanvin)

NEW YORK
SHOW: 3.1 Phillip Lim
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Francelle Daly for NARS Cosmetics
LOOK: “We were going for ‘sophisticated rocker chick’ with this beauty look — The Runaways’ Joan Jett and Lita Ford, or Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth.”

LONDON
SHOW: Temperley
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Val Garland
LOOK: “Grace Kelly gone London rogue.”

MILAN
SHOW: Antonio Marras
LOOK: “A meeting between a super aristocratic English marriage and those that take place in an Italian suburbs.”

PARIS
SHOW: Lanvin
LOOK: “Purity and precision, not control or minimalism.”

(5) Bold brows. Pause the plucking because you’re going to want your bushy brows come spring. If you have naturally thin brows, like I do, don’t be afraid to feather them in with a brow pencil. Definitely worth a try next spring!

(Left to right: Marc Jacobs, Christopher Kane, Etro, Costume National)

NEW YORK
SHOW: Marc Jacobs
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: François Nars for NARS Cosmetics
LOOK: “Typical Marc girl — very New York City, very chic, very interesting.”

LONDON
SHOW: Christopher Kane
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Lucia Pieroni
LOOK: “A young, cute Frankenstein face.”

MILAN
SHOW: Etro
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Charlotte Tilbury for MAC Cosmetics
LOOK: “It is fresh and clean, a pretty boy look.. a 90s contemporary feel.”

PARIS
SHOW: Costume National
LEAD MAKEUP ARTIST: Sally Branken
LOOK: “New minimalism. More technique, more ‘couture,’ more elegant.”

By Beauty Banter’s in-house assistant, Sara Ng // part or all of this post was originally published on www.beautybanter.com