Celebrity makeup artist Katey Denno (she works with Gwyneth Paltrow, Amanda Seyfried, Felicity Jones, and a slew of other A-listers) has an affinity for all-natural products. In an interview with Beauty Banter a couple of years ago, she said: “I began my career in social work helping women feel better, and I love that I still get to do just that every single day. I’m extremely passionate about the burgeoning green beauty component, and love finding out about new products made with ingredients that are safe enough to eat.” We caught up with Katey yet again to find out what are the latest and greatest green products in her makeup bag, and how we could curate our very own all-natural Labor Day beauty arsenal. Here are Katey’s current healthy skin and makeup staples:
1. RL Linden + Co Thousand Petal Beautifying Mist ($48) – This amazingly scented blend of hydrating and calming hydrosols, oils, and essences goes with me everywhere. It’s the first thing that goes on my face, and I refresh with it all day long. It doubles as my perfume and deodorant at times, too.
2. Jennette All Natural Skin Care, Potion #2 ($150) – After struggling with breakouts for most of my life, I reached my late 30’s and realized I’d neglected to use anti-aging serums in favor of anti-blemish treatments. Whoops! Luckily, this awesome LA-based facialist created a product that actually combats signs of aging for skin prone to acne. Hallelujah!
3. Pai Rosehip BioRegenerate Oil ($40) – This oil is super hydrating but surprisingly light, and has absolutely helped turn back the clock on some of my sun damage. Three drops is all I need, every morning, and I’m hydrated throughout the day.
4. Ren Active 7 Eye Gel ($30) – I don’t like a heavy eye cream in the summer, so this light gel is perfect. It’s cooling and hydrating and is a great base for a touch of concealer.
5. Jane Iredale Lip Scrub ($25) – I love the sleek size of this container, and I think everyone should use a lip scrub, every day. It gets rid of the scaly flakiness before it starts and leaves lips feeling so healthy and hydrated in a way I never knew I needed, but now I can’t do without.
6. Utowa Eyelash Curler ($22) – I love the angle of the pad and the length of the head of the curler, and since I’ve been trying to go without mascara (really tough for a blonde lashed girl) this summer, a serious curl of the lashes is always my focus.
7. Nvey Eco Volumizing Mascara ($17) – Despite becoming more comfortable with my blonde lashes by day, when the sun goes down, I always feel the need to make my lashes stand out. A few coats of this is the perfect mid-weight way to accentuate lashes.
8. Ilia Cosmic Dancer Illuminator ($34) – This is such a staple in both my personal makeup kit and what I use for work. It melts into my skin, is just the right color for me (really a non-color), and I apply it with the tip of my ring finger to my cheek bones after blush, to my cupid’s bow, sometimes to my lips, and to my lids. A little goes a long way.
9. RMS Lip2Cheek in Demure ($36)- It’s a soft, cool pink with a lot of punch. I get compliments on my cheek color constantly when I wear this creamy, coconut-based shade. I’ll often press some into my lips as well, and top with some balm.
10. Bite Beauty Lip Crayon ($24) – For a more intense punch, I’ve been favoring this super easy to wear pop of deep fuschia. I’ll press it into my lips with my finger, and then blend what’s left on my finger onto the apples of my cheeks if I’m looking pale. It’s great for a sheer application for day, and fantastic with a more intense touch for night.
11. Dalish Illumination Concealer ($22) – This all-natural Canadian brand does a great job providing just enough coverage in the perfect texture – especially for summer. I like using the wand to lightly dot the product along the darkest portion of my under eye circles. Using a clean finger, I lightly press it in, making sure not to feather it to the outer edges – avoiding creasy crows feet at all costs!
12. Intelligent Nutrients Curly Hair Serum ($32) – My hair always wants to frizz. Nine out of ten times when someone compliments me on my hair, it’s because I’ve worked this product in while it was still damp, followed by another dollop of it once it dried. The scent is earthy and delicious and doesn’t attract bugs, which is often my gripe with other hair de-frizzing creams.
13. Ama.la Detoxifying Body Oil ($58) – I have about 25 bottles of body oil in my bathroom, and another 3-5 on my bedside table. Despite this, I never have trouble deciding which to use each day. I always know exactly which scent and viscosity I want based on the weather/time of year/state of my skin. This light, fresh fig, myrtle, and apricot kernel-infused oil is just what I crave towards the end of summer – both the lightweight, easily-absorbed aspect, and the addictive scent.
14. Dr. Hauschka Translucent Bronzing Tint ($45) – I love the look of bronzer, but hate the tell-tale ‘I used a bronzer’ look of most cream and liquids that are chock-full of reflective pigments and shimmer particles. This sheer, lightweight, super faint bronzing tint is moisturizing enough to use on its own, but I generally mix it with either my face oil and dab along the highlights of my face, or with body oil before I slather up my legs. I’m not sure if it really makes my cellulite disappear, but I think it does, and that’s all that matters.
15.Herban Essentials Towelettes ($16) – These are key for me because I apply everything with my hands, and I never want to touch my face unless my finger tips are freshly cleaned. The lavender scent is a total bonus, and serves a double duty, helping to keep bugs away.
*For more Katey, read her first makeup bag interview here.