Category:  skin

Beauty with a Heart…

By | skin | 4 Comments

It’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month and some beauty companies go above and beyond what is expected: they’re actually giving back…
“Breast cancer is the leading cause in death for women ages 40-55. Breast cancer kills approximately 41,000 women in the United States each year.”
These are just some of the staggering and frightening statistics of breast cancer. Please help and support the cause… if not by donating money, buy products that do.
Try boscia Rose Blotting Linens (below, right) and stay beautiful as you do your part in finding a cure! It’s a win-win!

Here’s a word (or several…)from the company:
“The Rose Blotting Linens are finely woven linen sheets infused with the exquisitely feminine essence of Rose that not only absorb excess oil without disturbing makeup but also soothe skin and uplift the psyche. These powder free sheets are made from 100% natural leaf fibers from the exotic Abaca tree plant and contain Rose, which naturally soothes and supplies fresh skin.”
“Ten percent of the proceeds of the boscia Rose Blotting Linens (SRP: $10.00 for 100 sheets) will be donated to support the Susan G. Komen Foundation, one of the leading breast cancer research organizations. Breast cancer is the leading cause of death among American women between the ages of 34 to 54 and the second leading cause of cancer death for all American women.”

Support your favorite products and support the cause!
Stay BEAUTY-FULL!!!
thank-you.

Cooling Cucumber… Good for your body, Good for your face!

By | skin | One Comment

I recently visited a very interesting, “unconventional” spa in Los Angeles’ Korea Town. Aroma Spa & Sports is a full-service spa with treaments including body scrubs and massages. However, it most likely isn’t what you’re used to. Let me walk you through a massage:
First, I was led through the common room of exposed showers, hot tubs, cold pools, steam and sauna, into the treatment area (a large shower-like area with about a dozen water-proof tables and little Asian women clad in black bras and undies). Lying nude on the table, the masseuse trickled my body with oil and jumped all over the table, using hands, feet and elbows to dig into my muscles. She then washed my hair and scalp and flooded my body with a waterfall of hot water. Lastly, a refreshing and delightful cucumber mixture was placed on my face and left to harden.
Personally, I relished such an incredible experience, however I am well aware that not all people would find enjoyment in such a spa. So for the shy folks out there, I’m bringing you the cucumber mask!
Here’s how to make the cooling cucumber mask in the comfort and privacy of your own home:

Materials Needed:
1 Cucumber
A Peeler
A bowl with ice
A strainer.

Peel the ENTIRE cucumber into the bowl of ice and let sit until ice melts. Strain the water and apply the remaining cucumber to the face. Leave on for 15 minutes or until hard. Rinse.

I assure you that this simple mask will not only refresh and sooth but also take years (at least days…) from your face! Best when used prior to a big night out as the cool cucumbers have a tightening effect on the skin….

You have an at-home recipe? SHARE IT WITH US HERE!

WEEKLY MUST-HAVE

By | skin, weekly must-have | 7 Comments

I’m pretty psycho when it comes to my skin (I’ve actually had a couple of dermatologists ask me to find medical advice elsewhere…). Ever since my mother unknowingly offered me a magnifying mirror as a young child (the kind that lights up and magnifies your pores to the size of small craters…), I’ve been a picker. I know, it’s not a good look. But the smallest imperfection leaves me obsessive and totally insane. I don’t try many different face products… in fact, up until recently, I didn’t even use face cream (always eye cream, however).

But then a friend told me about Jurlique’s Calendula Cream (she hyped it by saying that Michelle Pfeiffer (right) swears by the products… and hey, lets be honest here, Michelle has fab skin!) and I’ve been hooked. The Australian based company uses all natural, fragrance free ingredients. It’s ideal for sensitive skin types (like mine). The calendula cream can be used as a face moisturizer or a cream for any chapped area of your body. It smells divine and works like a dream – never oily or greasy, always soothing and fresh leaving your skin glowing like a light bulb!
A word (or several…) from the company:
Calendula Cream is a powerful moisturiser for any skin type. Contains a high percentage of Calendula extract, which soothes and calms the skin. Calendula Cream is an excellent moisturiser for chapped or sun exposed skin.
Hey, if it’s good enough for Michelle Pfeiffer, it’s good enough for us!
Try it and let us know your thoughts!!!

Alice + Olivia Designer Stacey Bendet On All Things Beauty

By | skin | 4 Comments

My fabulous friend and designer extraordinaire, Stacey Bendet of fashion powerhouse Alice + Olivia, has kindly offered her definition of beauty… from the outside inward…

“I could tell you I swear by La Mer.
I could tell you I swear by Avene (an incredible French cold cream now sold at Duane Reade).
I could even tell you when it’s cold and dry I swear by good old Vaseline.
But the real skin secret is that the skin (everyone’s skin) is truly an exterior representation of our insides -what we eat, what we drink, what we breathe… and while the hedonists amongst the beauty blog readers might revolt, the best way to “get the glow” is by maintaining a healthy vitamin rich diet and a regular exercise (yoga!) routine.
When I was 15, I would get hives constantly. I would wake up in the middle of the night feeling like my skin was burning off. My parents sent me to dermatologist after dermatologist, we changed detergents, we changed lotions, shampoos, everything… Nothing worked. Until I was sent to an allergist who figured out that I was allergic to several foods such as eggs and tomatoes and soy. He suggested an extreme change in diet (um, yes, I did spend the first 15 years of my life thinking that rice krispie treats and fruit loops were dietary staples!) The diet consisted of plain, all natural foods without additives and obviously without the foods my body was treating as toxins.
Within a few weeks, my hives were gone, my skin was clear, and within a few months I realized that I no longer had headaches or stomach aches. The change in diet and attention to food made me realize, at a young age, how everything we ingest affects how we feel internally and how we look externally. It also made me hyper aware of how foods affected how I felt both physically and mentally. More than ten years later I still keep to a very organic and simple vegetarian diet. My friends will attest to the fact that I never break out, my skin is often described as glowing, and I rarely get sick.
Although I am not a follower of a raw food diet, there are some principles that really teach you how foods affect your cellular health and in effect, how they affect your skin and body. Most people spend their day eating and drinking what can be described as radicals and toxins. Examples are meats, coffee, alcohol, sugars… these are all things that are difficult for the body to break down and harmful to your body’s cells. Conversely, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and teas that are high in vitamins, minerals, enzymes and anti-oxidants helping to refuel, recharge, and refurbish. The body uses vitamins and minerals to nourish our organs, such as our hair, eyes and skin. Clear, glowing skin, strong nails and bright eyes are all signs of a healthy, well-nourished body. No matter how much cream you use or botox you do, at the end of the day, you need to pamper your insides just as you do your outside! A great book to read on all of this is EATING FOR BEAUTY by David Wolfe.”

QUICK TIPS ON WHAT TO EAT, DRINK AND DO FOR SUPER SKIN:

EAT
SUPERFOODS for the skin.
-GREENS (broccoli, spinach, seaweed, kale).
-BERRIES- berries are high in antioxidants that counteract free radicals that age the skin; blueberries are one of the most concentrated.
-SPROUTS & PAPAYA-some of the foods with the highest concentration of enzymes which help cellular growth and digestion.
**avoid foods heavy in fat and foods that are toxic to the body like meats and processed foods. Also, remember that overly cooked foods lose the majority of their nutritional value while raw or slightly cooked foods maintain a much higher concentration of vitamins and minerals that your body needs to refuel.
DRINK
-GREEN TEA-my favorite is genmaicha, it is great for you skin and your immune system.
-WATER
**Avoid coffee, soda, and diet drinks.

DO
EXERCISE-Yoga and sex are great for the glow.
FACIALS-Monthly basic facials, peels, etc… I like the SkinCareLab in NYC.
MOISTURIZE- La Mer and Avene are my favorites, but Vaseline really does wonders for super chapped skin.
WEAR SUNBLOCK-the sun is the WORST thing you can do to your skin. If you want to look like your Balenciaga bag at age 30, keep tanning. If not, I swear by Anthelios a French sun block, (30, 50, or 60!) It’s not greasy and it’ll save you many a wrinkle! Get your glow with a little bronzer.

TAKE VITAMINS!
MSM Beauty Crystals (sulfur based vitamin)
Vitamin E
Vitamin B
Vitamin C