Category:  skin

Feed You Skin What You Feed Your Body

By | skin | 3 Comments

Natural, organic products is all the hype these days. We’ve always been a fan so we’re happy that the rest of the beauty industry is taking notice and catching on.
We’ve just discovered a great, new organic skincare company. Juice Organics is not only made up of certified organic ingredients, it also has a patent-pending organic juice base. What does this mean, you ask? They say, “All other skincare products use water as a base. Juice Organics uses an organic juice base formula naturally rich in potent antioxidants, essential vitamins, vital phytonutrients and powerful hydroxy acids.” Basically, you’re drenching your face with the same juices and antioxidants that you drink to give your body the proper vitamins and minerals!
The product system works like this:
STEP 1: Cleanse
STEP 2: Treat
STEP 3: Moisturize
It’s really as simple as three steps!
There are 2 seperate types of treatments – nourishing for dry, depleted skin and brightening for oily skin.
I’ve been using the brightening products for a couple of days now, and not only has my skin stayed break-out free, but it actually looks nourished, revitalized and happy! I’ve even told friends to start using asap as the products are so amazing AND well-priced (9 dollars for a cleanser, 15 dollars for a moisturizer).
I feel like my face just ate a vitamin-enriched meal!!! Well, it sort of did!
The products are also toxin-free, 100% vegetarian and not tested on animals!
So, if you’re looking for a new skin care regimine (I mean, what beauty whore isn’t?), try the juice organic products… I’m quite certain that your skin will thank-you!

organics1

100% Organic

By | skin | 22 Comments

I’ve been wanting to do an organic post for awhile now – I was going to wait until Earth Day, but hey, going organic isn’t just a trend, it’s become a way of life. And now, more then ever, hundreds of companies are realizing just this.

Thanks to my incredibly well-informed fellow beauty whore and recent organic enthusiast, Alex Asher Sears, for her astute knowledge and constant testing of the best organic products on the market!

Here are Alex’s recommendations:

www.ethoshealth.info
ETHOS CLARIFYING LOTION
This Austrailian brand will start selling online to the US soon. For now, try Amazon or int’l sellers. The name is a bit misleading as it’s actually a spray. Refreshing and toning.
From site:
“Ethos is: 100% free from: artificial colourings, artificial fragrance, mineral oils, parabens, sulphates, Hypo allergenic, pH balanced, Not tested on animals, No animal content.”

www.korres.com
Korres Camelia Milk conditioner
I love all things Korres but particularly their conditioners. Never heavy, always nourishing.

www.californiababy.com or at Whole Foods and now Target
California Baby® Super Sensitive™ Shampoo & Bodywash
This is my favorite. Created for “babies, kids and sensitive adults” this shampoo is safe for chemically treated hair, soft on sensitive scalps and not only makes a great body wash it also is a non-drying face wash!

California Baby® I Love You™ Aromatherapy Bubble Bath
This bubble bath smells lovely and won’t dry out your skin.
From site:
“No fragrance, scent masking agents, clear formula chemicals, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, or DEA.”

www.methodhome.com – or available at Target
METHOD bloq shave cream – eternal optimist | citron leaf
I am fussy about shaving creams as I am something of a pro at cutting myself while shaving. But this lotion is incredibly moisturizing and I have been nick-free.

Method bloq body wash
Also good. I think I’m just a sucker for cool packaging.

www.purenecessities.net
Pure Necessities Shea Butter Hand Foot Balms
My aunt turned me onto this local line a year ago and I fell in love with their shea butter. Smells fabulous and keeps my feet sandal ready year round. This company sells online but has a store in Westlake Village.

www.drhauschka.com and other sites but I generally get mine at Whole Foods.
Dr. Hauschka
Rose Day Cream
For dry, sensitive or mature skin
-I have to credit my grandmother for this one. She’s been devoted for years and buys three or four tubes at a time. I use it in winter when my skin needs more moisture. They’ve just released a lighter version which I may switch to.

Dr. Hauschka Translucent Bronze Concentrate
Add a dab of moisturizer or sunscreen for a subtle glow that looks natural. I thought a good bronzer would be a hard find but this is fabulous. I’m very fair but it’s ideal for all skin types.

www.juiceorganics.com – drugstore find
Juice Organics Apple Exfoliating Peel – once a week for soft skin. This surprised me because I thought the stronger stuff I used would be hard to replace.
Juice Organics DAILY NOURISHING MOISTURIZER – I use this after the exfoliating peel as well.

Weleda Calendula Baby Cream
Makes a great face cream for adults with sensitive skin. Also worth checking out is their Skin Food for something a little more emollient.

Rosebud Salve isn’t an organic but it’s ingredient list rates low in toxicity with the environmental working group. It’s not perfect but close. A good reminder that using the EWG’s www.cosmeticsdatabase.com (to read more about the cosmetic database, CLICK HERE) is helpful in choosing the best products. I’m searching now for a great organic mascara. And since I pretty much think the world of mascara, this will be interesting….

Thanks to Alex for these incredible organic finds… I, for one, can’t wait to try them out!

And remember, organic is better for you and better for the environment! No toxins, no animal testing and no synthetic ingredients!

What are your favorite organic products? Leave a comment in the comment box below!

(above picture taken by Alex Asher Sears)

WEEKLY MUST-HAVE

By | skin, weekly must-have | 6 Comments

For anyone who has ever suffered from acne, consistent break-outs, uneven skintone, age spots, freckles or any other skin condition, THIS POST IS FOR YOU!!!

For those who know me well, they’ll attest to the fact that I’m a bit of a skin freak. My dermatologist actually told me to find a new one. I’ve had three facials within three weeks. I spend countless hours searching the internet for that “perfect product” that will give me equally “perfect skin.” As a pre-teen, I stole my mother’s magnifying mirror (you know, the one that lights up and magnifies your pores times 100…) and didn’t leave my room for a week. Suffice it to say, mom confiscated that thing real quick…

It’s taken many years to understand (and be okay with the fact) that there really isn’t a miracle skin product that will make my face look like that of a porcelain doll. But I have found a product that comes pretty close!

Let me introduce to you an incredible product – MAMA LOTION! It’s a combination of Mandelic and Malic acid and it literally changes the texture and composition of your skin within weeks! I’ve been using the gel for 2 months and I can attest to this, first-hand.

A word (or several…) from the company:

This remarkable gel-lotion is the ultimate agent for those wanting to get more out of their anti-aging routines. This 20% AHA formulation contains 10% mandelic acid and 10% malic acid with a 2.5 ph. Because of the protective and moisturizing qualities of malic acid, this lotion takes about 10-15 minutes to fully sink into the skin. A bit sticky at first, the MaMa lotion will dry to an ultra smooth, glowing finish that will draw compliments throughout the day. Excellent for evening out pigmentation or softening feet and elbows as well.

During our extensive testing, we have seen the following improvements in patient’s skin:

– Evened Skin Tone, Including removing age spots & freckles
– Faded Acne Scars
– Significantly Reduced Acne Breakouts
– Tightened the Skin & Pores
– Shrunk or Eliminated Blackheads
– Reduced or Erased fine lines and wrinkles
– Significantly reduced the symptoms of Rosacea
– Faded Melasma.”

Click HERE to view the astounding before and after pictures….

This product will change your life!

Make-Up Banter with Sole Alberti…

By | makeup, skin | 2 Comments

Make-up artist, Sole Alberti, did a fabulous job creating the flirty and sexy faces of Veronica and the V-Squad for my short film, I HEART VERONCIA MARTIN. She used the same high-school feel (sans the dew) to paint the face of awkward outcast, Darby.

(Sole Alberti (left) with Cameron Richardson/ Veronica Martin (right)

Below, read Sole’s step by step make-up application process and discover the products that she used!

“For the girls of I Heart Veronica Martin, I started off by using a light, oil free lotion with spf 30 by Dermalogica. I wanted to keep their lovely faces protected from the intense sun. I then used TruBlend foundation by COVERGIRL.

I wanted to give the girls a natural dewey look so I used COVERGIRL TruBlend Naturally luminous blush powder in pure romance. It creates a beautiful rouge on the apples of the cheeks with just the perfect amount of sparkle and shine. I then used natural tones on the eyes ranging from light browns to neutral pinks and beiges.

On their eyelashes, once they were curled, I applied the COVERGIRL Lash Exact waterproof mascara. They were doing a lot of cheering and dancing in the scorching heat, so I wanted to make sure the mascara did not run. It worked wonders! I was also very pleased with the wand of the mascara. It allowed me to get really close to the lash line and separate the eye lashes in the most fabulous fashion.

On their lips, I used a two step lip gloss by COVERGIRL Outlast Double Lip Shine in pink 205 and Clear 005 to give their lips extra shine.

For the cheering scenes, I used Clarins After Sun Moisturizing Spray all over their bodies for a natural shimmer and glow. In addition, I mixed water and glycerine to manufature that sexy, sweaty effect. After a long day, the girls still looked perfectly dewey and beautiful!

On Carla Gallo (Darby), who was not doing any cheering, I stuck to the same look I gave the other girls but kept the shine down and matted the colors a little bit. I wanted to create the effect that she was low maintenance with her look. Just very simple and casual. I used the same products but with a way lighter touch.

All in all the girls all looked amazing on and off screen. Since they were being shot in HD which picks up every pore, I made sure that the skin was very even. The foundation was great for that. I had to get in real close and make sure they were always perfect. They of course made my job very easy with their beautiful skin and glowing features!

GO V-SQUAD!!!!!”

(Veronica, V-Squad, Darby and the Director… ME!!!)

***Special thanks to Brent Poer who hooked us up with the Cover Girl Cosmetics. Without Brent, this movie would cease to exist! We Heart You, Brent!!!***

Yet Another Facial…

By | skin | 6 Comments

After a long, hectic and sweaty shoot, my skin was begging for a deep cleanse. I opted for a facial at the highly recommended West Hollywood, The Face Place.
Celebs like Tom Cruise (insert Katie Holmes joke here), Michelle Pfeiffer and Renee Russo frequent the same place for the standard hour-and-fifteen-minute facial.

So what’s so fab about the facial?

They actually do things to my skin that I can’t do from home! Like the yucca-root soaked cotton strips that are placed all around my face (like a mummy) then topped with an archaic looking mask (a hole only in the center to breathe from) that is meant to serve as a sauna – bringing toxins and impurities to the surface.

Why not just use steam? Well, did you know that steam actually takes out the skin’s natural oils? It’s true! Thus, the sauna effect is more gentle to the face.

Then the facial expert (mine happened to be the lovely Marianne), does some extractions before soaking the face in a vitamin and anti-oxidant facial brew. Again, a mask is placed ontop… only, this time, the mask (very Hannibal Lecter looking) turns on and a wave of electric currents penetrate the skin.

It’s genius.

A word (or several…) from the company:

“Our clinical approach combines skilled extraction techniques and galvanic current to deliver improved skin tone, firmness, fewer lines and a clearer complexion. It is the original and most effective anti-aging treatment offered today. The galvanic current allows a powerful anti-aging solution to penetrate the skin providing optimum stimulation and regeneration of the facial tissues.”

This isn’t a feel good facial with a neck massage and a caviar face mask. This is the real deal – the differance between a Pinto and a Bentley!

If you want to give your skin a great gift, give it a facial from The Face Place.

P.S. A great tip – keep your skin hydrated after a facial… not moisturized. Hydration is completely different. It’s lighter and non-oily. I use The Face Place
Collagen Elastin Treatment. It’s delicious!

FACIAL PRICE TAG: $100.00

A Facial a Day…

By | skin | 274 Comments

I finally used my Kate Sommerville Free Facial Card! The facial was incredible – if you live in, or around, the West Hollywood area, I urge you to try a facial immediately! I did the Purify Facial, a 35-45 minute treatment to clean the skin and rid it of impurities.

Here is my new cleansing regimine (given to me by my Kate Sommerville Skin Expert):

CLEANS: Purify Exfoliating Cleanser day and night
EXFOLIATE: Kate in a Jar 2 times a week for 30 seconds
MASK: Clearing Mask 1 time per week and as spot treatment when necessary
MOISTURIZE: Goat Milk Cream day and night
SUN CARE: Protect SPF 30 day

VITAMINS: (taken internally) Healthy Skin Formula – as directed

My two favorite products that were used on my skin were, Kate in a Jar and the Goat Milk Cream.

Kate in a Jar is like a mini facial in a bottle. Even if you don’t live in Los Angeles, with this product you can have a bit of the Kate Sommerville experience. It left my skin completely restored and radiant (even despite the blotchy redness from extractions)! I felt like a new me… with new skin to boot! PRICE: $85.00 (and worth every penny!)

The Goat Milk Cream is a daily moisturizer packed with milk proteins, vitamins and amino acids. Goat milk helps to heal and nurture the skin while the amino acids soothe and condition. I have very sensitive, blotchy and oily skin. Some skin practitioners will tell you not to use a moisturizer but I disagree. Even with oily and acne prone skin, it is imperative that you condition the skin as to allow normal secreation of oil. If you dry out your face too much, the oil glands try and compensate thus creating more oil. This is why the break-out cycle continues. The Goat Milk Cream added the perfect amount of hydration to my face without looking shiny or feeling oily. I left the facial feeling renewed, despite the 35 minutes of prodding with my skin! I literally glowed! PRICE: $55.00

Check out the entire Kate Sommerville line byCLICKING HERE and discover the secret that has celebrities like Bo Derek, Kate Walsh and Kirsten Dunst glowing (literally)!

Have a favorite FACIAL? Let us know by emailing beautybanter@gmail.com!

Fabulous FACE

By | skin | 2 Comments

Check out THIS amazing article on healthy, gorgeous skin from this month’s issue of Women’s Health Magazine.

You know how the beauty whore feels about a fabulous face…

SOURCE.

HAPPY EARTH DAY

By | makeup, skin | 6 Comments

Organic products are just so much more environmentally friendly. Like driving a hybrid (I do!) and conserving energy (turn off those lights, computers and plug-in vibrators!), companies that pay considerable attention to the environment while still making beauty products that consumer’s can enjoy, are companies worth celebrating!

So, today, on Earth Day, lets take a moment to reflect on some of our favorite eco-friendly products!

Desert Essence Blemish Touch Stick with Eco-Harvest Tea Tree Oil:
A blemish touch stick for those retchid lil pimples… All natural tea tree oil, rosemary, lavender and thyme help to make this product a must-have zit zapper! Can be applied to blemish up to 6 times a day. With it’s roll on applicator, it makes it easy to use on the go. I LOVE this product… I take it with me everywhere!

Soy candle – White Flower Lei: Handmade soy candles with fragrances meant to destress and aid in meditation. The candles are vegan, kosher and organic! The wax can also be used as a perfume is applied directly to pulse points! This candle is so yummy!

bareMinerals 2-piece Powder Foundation & Brush w/SPF 15: A cult favorite, Bare Minerals loose powder foundation does not contain additives, binders, preservatives, or fragrances. It is literally made of crushed minerals. And it helps to control shine and fight acne, all the while giving your skin a flawless glow. My sister is OBSESSED with this product as I’m sure many of you are too!

The Body Shop’s Satsuma Shimmer Lip Balm: This lip gloss combines shimmer with a burst of color to create the perfect pout. It uses organic beeswax, more specifically, Community Trade beeswax from Zambia. What does this mean to YOU? Well, as the Body Shop puts it, “Community Trade Information Beeswax is a Community Trade ingredient from the remote tropical forests of North West Zambia, where the extra income helps more than 3,000 beekeepers preserve their traditional way of life.” In other words, sustainable beauty! Giving back… we heart the body shop!

Smooth Synergy Organic Tan: Okay, so I’ve never ACTUALLY had this done as I am in LA and the spa is in NY, but I received an email about this incredible service… just in time for earth day! If you’re in the nyc area, give them a call and tell me what you think!
What they say: “Smooth Synergy’s Organic Sunless Spray Tan offers a unique combination of mineral salt bronzers and the approved cosmetic tanning agent DHA20 to produce a natural looking tan. The UV-less tanning product contains no alcohol, oils, perfumes or potentially harmful chemicals or preservatives. This vegetable-derived product can even be sprayed over makeup. The Smooth Synergy UV-Less Tan lasts 5-7 days depending on your skin type and preparation.”

Wow. Organics R Us! Tell beauty banter what organic products you just DIE over!!! Leave a comment or email us at beautybanter@gmail.com

Happy Earth Day!!!

Murad – Acne Complex Intro Kit

By | skin | One Comment
Murad - Acne Complex Intro Kit

People keep emailing in – what products would you recommend for acne prone skin?

Well, this is my recommendation for acne-prone skin. Murad has been known to work well for sensitive- oily prone skin. They combine AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) with other natural ingredients. ALSO, check out the Murad website CLICK HERE and take 1 minute 30 seconds out of your hectic day to take a mini skincare evaluation test. It will personalize your skincare regimine! Genius!!!

Even better, Murad is offering a 30-day supply of the acne start-up kit for a very affordable $29.99!!! (via Murad)

The Brits do it Best

By | skin | 2 Comments

I just received this in an email and after my Boots rave, thought this was worth posting and trying out… After all, I love a good rave!

Breaking Beauty News: Boots Restore & Renew Beauty Serum Sells for Over $130 on eBay–Serum Sold out in the U.K. Available at Target

Boots Restore & Renew Beauty Serum (called No7 Protect & Perfect in the U.K.) is making news in the U.K, where an independent study by the BBC just uncovered that No7 Protect & Perfect’s affect on collagen production is on par with the performance of retinoic-acid or Tretinoin – prescription drugs used to treat severe sun damage of the skin!

The experts, based at the Dermatology Department at the University of Manchester, have been studying Tretinoin for years and they were convinced that no over the counter anti-ageing cream could match its effectiveness. However, they were surprised by the results achieved with the Boots product.

Professor Griffiths, who is Foundation Professor of Dermatology at the University of Manchester, said: “At both basic science and clinical levels Boots No7 Protect & Perfect has been shown scientifically to repair photo-aged skin and improve the fine wrinkles associated with photo-ageing.”

Boots describes the cream as a ‘skin-firming and complexion-brightening serum’. The ingredients include peptides, which have been shown to increase the levels of supporting collagen in the skin, and white lupin extract. This is claimed to reduce the breakdown of collagen by enzymes known as matrix metalloproteinases.

Boots No7 Renew & Restore is sold at Target nationwide for $19.99.

CLICK HERE TO BUY IT!!!