6 Face Oils For All Skin Types
“Why the F**** would I ever want to add oil onto my skin? I’m trying to get the oil off my skin!” A quote from one of my wonderfully poetic and astute girlfriends (who shall remain nameless… for now). I do agree with her sentiment, however. It’s difficult to wrap your head around wanting to put oil onto your skin when we have been programmed to believe that oil is our enemy. Oil causes breakouts, unwanted shine and clogged pores. But these new face oils, they’re actually good for the skin. In fact, they deliver ingredients that are healthier, cleaner and more potent than that of moisturizers. Why? Because oils are more concentrated and more effective when it comes to the amount of product that gets absorbed into your skin. Plus, with a moisturizer, you may need to slather on a quarter-size of product, oils do the trick in three to four drops! Saving product equals saving money.
Here’s a great tip: By applying a face oil prior to other serums and moisturizers, the oil will actually aid in getting the active ingredients deeper into your skin. Natural, organic and pure face oils are like act like a magnet, pulling the good stuff from your other products and helping them to penetrate. This works across the board – for people with acneic skin to those with severe sun damage or aging.
I suppose the only thing left is finding the right face oil for your skin type. Below is a list of face oils that work on just about every skin – from sensitive to oily to anti-aging. While some oils have specific benefits that will help promote certain skin concerns, these six oils will give all complexions instant luminosity and long term happiness.
1. Algenist Advanced Anti-Aging Repairing Oil ($79) – This San Francisco based biotech company has gained quite the cult following with their Alguronic Acid products. The Advanced Anti-Aging Repairing Oil is sure to join the ranks as the brand’s next must-have product. By using Microalgae Oil, this non-greasy face concentrate gives instant hydration with longterm benefits of improving fine lines and wrinkles and skin texture. While it is most definitely an anti-aging product, it will improve skin texture and hydration for all skin types. Obsessed.
2. Sponge Ladi Avokanto ($60) – Avocado oil firms and restores while Vitamin E, an antioxidant, repairs and protects, and vitamin D smoothes. Every complexion can benefit a bit from the good stuff! You’ll immediately notice a dewy – never slick – complexion that has a refreshed appearance. This oil cocktail leaves skin soft, visibly firm, and instantly more youthful, without a single breakout.
3. MV Skincare Pure Jojoba Oil ($39)- Hailing from Australia, this all-natural skincare line has gathered quite the celebrity following (Maggie Gyllenhaal and Emma Watson are both fans). The jojoba oil, considered a natural moisturizer and makeup remover for all skin types, is quite simply perfection. It’s lightweight (unlike drugstore jojoba oil which can feel a bit thicker), absorbs easily and quickly (without clogging pores!), and it’s safe for even the most sensitive of skin types. Also ideal for acneic and oily skin. It’s my saving grace!
4. Beautycounter Lustro Face Oil ($64 each) – There are 3 of these in the collection: bestselling Calendula, Jasmine and Ylang Ylang and Wild Chamomile. Each are formulated without parabens, phthalates, synethetic fragrances. However, each contain a heavy helping of moisturizing and naturally-derived oils that help to give skin that glowing, luminous look and feel. Jasmine, No 2, is the one I use. It’s packed with Rosehip Oil, Virgin Organic Grapeseed Oil, Sea Buckthorn Oil, Virgin Organic Argan Nut Oil, Organic Marula Oil, Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Rose Otto Oil, and Jasmine Oil. Imagine the natural scent!
5. Pai Rosehip BioRegenerate ($35) – This organic oil was created for sensitive skin but can be used by anyone who feels their complexion is on a lackluster cycle (that’s me!). Rosehip Oil is rich in concentrated Trans-Retinoic Acid, which aids in the skin’s natural repair function. This powerful concentrate conditions the skin, while improving firmness and elasticity. At $35, it’s a serious steal… so if you’re apprehensive about the oil game, I’d suggest starting with this one.
6. Nude Skincare ProGenius Treatment Oil ($78) – 100 percent pure and active ingredients including black cumin, camellia, camelina, borage, sea buckthorn, and apricot, and Omegas 3, 6, 7 and 9 nourish, hydrate, smooth and repair. The oil is incredibly fast-absorbing, vegan, sulfate, paraben, synthetic fragrance and dye, and gluten – free. It’s literally like a meal for your complexion.
What’s your favorite face oil? We want to know what gives your complexion its glow… leave a comment below!