Category:  makeup

Make-Up IS Forever…

By | makeup | 920 Comments

Fall 2007. Make-Up For Ever. Purples, lots of eggplants and lilacs.

I have a soft spot for Make-Up Forever… I find their stardust powders (especially the gold) to be irriplaceable and the Liquid Lift Foundation (in number 2) to be one of the best foundations I have ever put on my mug.

So, it’s no surprise that their Fall 2007 line is bold and brilliant. I had the pleasure of trying the diamond eyeshadow in 311 – a burgandy mauve with copper shimmer, and the Aqua Creamliner in 5, a deep plum hue. Together, they look super powerful. The great thing about Make-Up Forever products is that you put them on in the morning and they stay put through out the day.

If bold is what you’re looking for, look no further. Make-Up Forever has again suceeded in creating powerful make-up that transcends beauty!

When Fashion and Beauty Collide… Part Deux

By | makeup | 2 Comments

Here’s and update from Lancome chief make-up artist, Gucci Westman, of her time at fashion week, New York.

(click on image to enlarge and read)

I love that Gucci tells us exactly what products she used to achieve the look (and i love that her name is Gucci!!!)…

Also, in more Lancome news, fashion designer Peter Som teams with Lancome’s Gucci Westman to create a new lip stick… P.S. Kiss, debuted just days ago at Peter’s runway show in NYC! This lippy will be available October 1st at a Lancome counter near you…

This color is awesome – the perfect fall hue for a bold lip with nothing more…
Here I am, trying to rock the color!

A word (or several…) from the company:
““My fall collection was all about rich textures and deep saturated colors – P.S. Kiss is the perfect bold stroke to go with the clothes, but it is still elegant and easy,” says Peter. Backstage at Bryant Park on the day of the show, Gucci and her team painted P.S. Kiss onto the lips of Coco Rocha, Chanel Iman, Jessica Stam and the other top models walking in Peter’s show.”

WEEKLY MUST-HAVE

By | makeup, weekly must-have | 7 Comments

OBSESSED! The one word that explains my current excitement and happiness over my new lip gloss. OBSESSED!

Physicians Formula New Plump Potion Needle-Free Lip Plumping Cocktail is exactly the type of lippy I like. The casing is cool, the wand is bristled instead of foam, the gloss is shiny without being sticky and it plumps my plucker without the “bee sting” pain!

A word (or several…) from the company:

“Get fuller, plumper looking lips, needle-free in 60 seconds!
Lip plumping lacquer formulated with a high-tech cocktail of non-irritating ingredients to transform lip’s appearance, contour, size and color so they look and feel fuller, smoother, sexier.
3x Plumping Effect: 1) Instant Plumping Effect 2) Instant Hydrating & Smoothing Effect 3) Younger, Smoother & Fuller Looking Lips with continued use.”

The lippies come in 5 brilliant shades and a clear gloss (6 all together) and retails for a nice $8.95.

I have 3 of them: Nude, Pink and Rose and I alternate between the three.

OBSESSED!

The Blues…

By | makeup | One Comment

Today’s been a rather dull day thus far. Woke up to “that time of month” and a nice little pimple on my chin (just in case the bed-ridden cramps wasn’t enough of an indicator…).

So, I’ve decided that if I were a color, today I’d be blue!

MAC Cosmetics has come out with yet another new product! Painterly are pots of cream eye shadows. Available in 12 bold colors, Painterly hits MAC counters nationwide this month but will stay a part of the permanent collection.

What the heck is painterly, you ask?
Straight from the mouths of the MAC genius’s, “A highly pigmented eye colour that goes on creamy but dries to an intense, vibrant finish. The next generation of a popular M·A·C formula, Paint Pots maintains all the intense traits of its inspiration. Long-wearing, colourfast. Creates seamless coverage without weight or caking. Blends smoothly over the lids. Cream-based, can be mixed with M·A·C shadows and liners.”

How do you wear painterly, you ask?
Well, Senior MAC make-up artist, Fatima Thomas says this to beauty banter:
“Paint Pots, being creamy, are best applied with a firm, flat brush like
MAC’s #252. Start by loading the brush with a small amount of product,
blend it on the lid starting at the lash line, moving up and out. Or use
Paint Pot as a liner using the #266 brush. I love using them as a base
for powder shadows as well.”

Deleft, a deep teal frost with gold pearl, is the perfect blue that I’ve been craving!!!

I’m gonna try it tonight and have pics up tomorrow!

Until then, check out the entire new Painterly line by CLICKING HERE. The colors are brazilliant!

CLICK HERE to find out how to wear blue eyeshadow without looking like you have a black eye!

3D LIPS

By | makeup | One Comment

Leave it to MAC Cosmetics to invent such a thing as 3D lip gloss. That’s the new MAC, limited edition line, IN 3D, 12 new lipglass glosses and 9 new lipglass pencils.
I had the pleasure of testing the 3D gloss, and let me tell you, my lips were pretty f*^%ing 3 dimensional! And super shiny! But without that sticky, gooey feel!

Here’s how it works:

“A combination of Xirona pearls and extreme glass shine gives lips a three dimensional look. Lightweight oild with vitamins A, C & E give moisture and emolliency to the lips.”

3D Glass Colors:
Racy: Sheer cherry red with pink and red pearl
IN 3D: Sheer peachy pink with blue pearl
Optical: Warm caramel brown with pink pearl
Synched Up: Creamy tan with pink and white pearl
Energy: Sheer baby pink with white and pink pearl
Algorithm: Sheer dusty rose with light pink pearl
Touchpoint: Sheer blue mid-tone pink with blue pearl
Lightswitch: Sheer metallic pink with white pearl
Backlit: Soft white gold with yellow and white pearl
Wondershine: Warm tangerine with gold and red pearl
Apex: Sheer orange with green pearl
Boundless: Intense pinky red with soft blue pearl

$14.00 each.

So the common theme here is “pearl” thus lips are left sparkling. I suggest using alone OR over your favorite lipstick for an added hint of color and shine. As always, I love to layer all of them together!!! TOUCHPOINT is my current choice for everday wear!

What are your favorite colors?

Light’s, Camera, Rimmel

By | makeup | One Comment

Bristish make-up giant, Rimmel (you know, the company that calls Kate Moss their spokesperson…), well, they’ve just come out with a very convenient and functioning lip gloss… Light Beam Lip Gloss!

Get this! The gloss actually has a little flashlight attached to the outside of the wand so it’s perfect to use in those dark clubs and bars! It’s really quite genius if you think about it. No more painting by numbers!

My only problem: The gloss isn’t super glossy. It took a couple of dips to get the wand lathered up with enough gloss to make my pout puckerable!

Light Beam is available in 6 shades:

In the Mix – pale pink
After Hours –cherry red
Spotlight – pale purple
In the Limelight – gold
Disco Ball – clear with silver shimmer
Strobe Light – metallic silver

Since we’re already talking about Kate Moss, here’s some exciting beauty news! Kate is set to launch her very own perfume for Coty! (Source)
First her Kate Moss for Top Shop line… now this… what’s next? Kate Moss candy?

We’ll let you know all of the details once they materialize!

Me and my MAC (part due)

By | makeup | 3 Comments

I know I promised pics ages ago, but I had some computer glitch that wouldn’t allow me to take the pictures from the photo booth and upload them to my blog. But alas, we have fixed the problem!

As promised, here are my favorites from the new MAC lines, Rushmetal and Flashtronic:

The Light Look

On Sarah, Pigment Cocomotion on eyes, Frenzy on lips and Northern LightMinerlaize Skinfinish on cheeks.

The Light Look Close-Up

I also lined the top eyelid with a thin line of liquid black liner. ***make sure to make the line grow in thicknessas you get further from the inner corner***

Summer Drama

Sarah is wearing Pigment Gold Mode over the entire eye lid, By Jupiter eye shadow in the crease. On lips, Fast Lane and Electro-Lush Lip Glass. And Gold Spill Mineralize Skin Finish on cheeks.

Summer Drama Close-Up

***I always fill in my brows when going out at night. I feel that it completes the face. Always use a shade LIGHTER then your actually hair color so that it doesn’t look like you painted on your eyebrows.***

Bold and Gold

Sarah is wearing Rushmetal Pigment over the entire eye lid with Tectonic eye shadow in the crease. Lips are a mixture of Fast Lane, then Frenzy, then Thrills, topped with a dab of Electrolush Lip Glass. On cheeks, Gold Spill and over face, a light brush of Northern Light!

Bold and Gold Close-Up

***I really love the mixture of Fastlane Lipstick with Elctrolush Lip Glass. It’s a great deep pinkish plum color that looks fabulous with bronzed skin!***

Bold and Gold Even Closer-Up

Have pics of you in your MAC??? Send them to beautybanter@gmail.com! Include the specific products that you used to achieve the look!

MAC ATTACK… AGAIN!

By | makeup | 3 Comments

Here it is: MAC’s 2 new, limited edition Summer Color lines — Flashtronic & Rushmetal!

Here are the Stats:

Flashtronic:

“Colour and light fused to perfection with the pearlized shimmer of Mineralize Skinfinish, complemented by 6 new marbled shades of Mineralize Eye Shadow and our 4 new Tinted Lipglass.”

Lipglass (all creams)
“A unique lip gloss available in a wide variety of colours that can create a high gloss, glass-like finish or a subtle sheen. Designed to be worn on its own, over Lip Pencil or Lipstick.”
Perfectly Pink: Creamy mid-tone pink
Flashtronic: Caramel bronze with subtle gold pearl
Young Spark: Neutral pink with subtle gold pearl
Electro-Lush: Creamy blue pink

Mineralize Eye Shadow (all frosts)
“A sheer, pearled, mineralized powder Eye Shadow with up to four shades baked together in one pan. Superfine, lightweight: provides a softly tinted, reflective shimmer on the skin with a delicate sense of dimension. Subtly builds colour and shine. Can be worn on face, eyes or body.”

By Jupiter: Light taupe with beige and deep brown veining
Tectonic: Yellow gold with lime green, warm brown and black veining
Ether: Deep aqua with silver, black and gold veining
Mercurial: Yellow gold with lilac and chestnut veining
Lovestone: Raspberry with wine and copper veining
Quarry: Sky blue with olive, coral and beige veining

Mineralize Skinfinish
“A luxurious velvet-soft powder with high-frost metallic finish. Smoothes on: adds buffed-up highlights to cheeks and brows, or an overall ultra-deluxe polish to the face.”
Norhtern Light: Mid-tone pink with rust and grey brown veining
Gold Spill: Pink Peach with warm brown and cream pearl
Global Glow: Mid-tone brown with gold pearl

Rushmetal:

“The alchemy of gold transformed as 8 new Pigments radiate the power of this key element. With 4 Lipsticks toned and finished to complement each gold-tinged Pigment, this is metal as it should be worn.”

Lipstick
Colour plus texture for the lips. Stands out on the runway. Simmers on the street.
Thrills: Rosy copper with gold pearl (frost)
Frenzy: Soft muted pinky-peach beige with golden shimmer (frost)
Soft Lust: Tan with white pearl (lustre)
Fast Lane: Mauve with silver pearl (lustre)

Pigment
Pigment is a highly concentrated loose colour powder that contains ingredients to help it adhere to the skin. Use to create a subtle wash of colour or an intense effect. Pigment does not streak or cake, is easy to blend and long-lasting.

Rushmetal: Rich copper sparkle
Revved-up: Icy rose with reflects
Gold Mode: Tan gold
Mauvement: Cool taupe with gold pearl
Off The Radar: Warm orange with gold sparkle
Copperized: Olive green with gold pearl
Quick frost: Creamy white with soft green pearl
Cocomotion: Dirty gold with olive undertone and gold sparkle

***I am obsessed with golds… obsessed! So, these latest color lines are truly incredible for me. I’ve spent the past couple of days playing with all of the make-up and I’ve gotta say, MAC scored yet again! Everything works well together, layered, the colors are rich and intense, the lines carry a common theme so the lipstick and lipglass fit perfectly with the eye shadow and pigment. The mineralize skinfinish leaves the skin sparkling and bronzed like I’ve never seen. (My friend Kim Stewart and I were playing with the make-up before she left for London to shoot her new show, and she tried taking the entire line from me! She did, however, get away with taking the GLOBAL GLOW MINERALIZE SKINFINISH!)

The lipsticks seem very bold to the eye, but they look so amazing on the lips – I layered all four of them together and the outcome was purely kissable-licious!

P.S. Check back later for pictures of different colors that I played around with…***

FACE TALK

By | makeup | 3 Comments

I just got back from a very brief trip to NYC…. while there, I attended the New York premiere of Hairspray (and actually enjoyed it!), dined with friends, and hit up a couple of New York’s fabulous new hotspots (Beatrice and Rose Bar are my faves).

For the premiere, I opted for the sultry summer red look – red dress, red lips. On my lips I used Cover Girl’s Mocha Mist, 235 and topped it off with Kiehl’s Golden Berry Light Lip Gloss. Summer hair calls for no fuss… thus, I ran a comb through it, applied some of the Kerastase oil and let it air dry.

Here’s a pic of me and my date for the evening, the ultra talented Duncan Sheik (his Broadway play, Spring Awakenings won an amazing 8 Tony Awards… if you’re in New York, you MUST see it! It’s genius!):

(Sarah Howard and Duncan Sheik – just friends!)

For a night out with the girls, I wanted to look a little edgier – classy with a rock and roll edge. I chose summer dark eyes (not black, but a greyish, olive color) and light lips. Again, no fuss, au natural hair. On my eyes, I started with Nars’ All About Eve, a fabulous, opalescent base, then painted the crease with MAC’s Saturnal Frost (from their limited edition Summer collection – I adore this color! It makes my golden eye color really pop!) I used Express GLIMMERsheer from Beauty Addicts on my brow bone and my cheek bone. It’s an awesome pearlized highlighter that I adore. I chose Nars’ Outlaw for my cheeks (a little dark for summer but I figured hey, I’m single… I wanna attract some attention). And I ended with my new favorite mascara… Cover Girl’s Volume Exact in Black. The wand is rubber allowing you to really get close to the lashes edges. Plus it makes my lashes super long without that hideous clumping!

Here’s a couple of computer pics:

(Sarah’s face)

(Sarah’s face – CU)

***Arrived home to a massive package of MAC’s two new lines… FLASHTRONIC and RUSH METAL… will post my favorite products with pics tomorrow (hopefully!) WE LOVE MAC!***

Make-Up Banter with Sole Alberti…

By | makeup, skin | 2 Comments

Make-up artist, Sole Alberti, did a fabulous job creating the flirty and sexy faces of Veronica and the V-Squad for my short film, I HEART VERONCIA MARTIN. She used the same high-school feel (sans the dew) to paint the face of awkward outcast, Darby.

(Sole Alberti (left) with Cameron Richardson/ Veronica Martin (right)

Below, read Sole’s step by step make-up application process and discover the products that she used!

“For the girls of I Heart Veronica Martin, I started off by using a light, oil free lotion with spf 30 by Dermalogica. I wanted to keep their lovely faces protected from the intense sun. I then used TruBlend foundation by COVERGIRL.

I wanted to give the girls a natural dewey look so I used COVERGIRL TruBlend Naturally luminous blush powder in pure romance. It creates a beautiful rouge on the apples of the cheeks with just the perfect amount of sparkle and shine. I then used natural tones on the eyes ranging from light browns to neutral pinks and beiges.

On their eyelashes, once they were curled, I applied the COVERGIRL Lash Exact waterproof mascara. They were doing a lot of cheering and dancing in the scorching heat, so I wanted to make sure the mascara did not run. It worked wonders! I was also very pleased with the wand of the mascara. It allowed me to get really close to the lash line and separate the eye lashes in the most fabulous fashion.

On their lips, I used a two step lip gloss by COVERGIRL Outlast Double Lip Shine in pink 205 and Clear 005 to give their lips extra shine.

For the cheering scenes, I used Clarins After Sun Moisturizing Spray all over their bodies for a natural shimmer and glow. In addition, I mixed water and glycerine to manufature that sexy, sweaty effect. After a long day, the girls still looked perfectly dewey and beautiful!

On Carla Gallo (Darby), who was not doing any cheering, I stuck to the same look I gave the other girls but kept the shine down and matted the colors a little bit. I wanted to create the effect that she was low maintenance with her look. Just very simple and casual. I used the same products but with a way lighter touch.

All in all the girls all looked amazing on and off screen. Since they were being shot in HD which picks up every pore, I made sure that the skin was very even. The foundation was great for that. I had to get in real close and make sure they were always perfect. They of course made my job very easy with their beautiful skin and glowing features!

GO V-SQUAD!!!!!”

(Veronica, V-Squad, Darby and the Director… ME!!!)

***Special thanks to Brent Poer who hooked us up with the Cover Girl Cosmetics. Without Brent, this movie would cease to exist! We Heart You, Brent!!!***