Category:  makeup

WEEKLY MUST-HAVE

By | makeup, weekly must-have | 11 Comments

Earth Day came and went, but that doesn’t mean that we can just simply stop thinking about our envirnment!
I was recently sent an incredible product. It is one of the coolest, most inspiring products that I have used in a long time.
How can a lipstick be inspiring, you ask? Sustainable beauty. Changing the world while looking beautiful…
I love it!

Introducing Cargo Cosmetics PLANTLOVE: a collection of 12 lipsticks, in eco-friendly packaging, and part of the proceeds of the sale of the product go to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, the world’s pediatric cancer research center.
Wow. Talk about a lipstick doing a lot of good!
And the best part, the lipsticks are actually amazing! I tried the “Sarah Chalke” (suiting considering my name is Sarah too…), designed exlusively for Cargo by Ms. Chalke (other celeb designers include Evangeline Lilly and Lindsay Lohan). It’s a sheer pink hue with a dash of shimmer. And it looks fab on tanned skin – perfect for summer.
The lipstick is made completely of botanical ingredients: vitamin E, shea butter, jojoba and the formula is environmentally friendly containing NO mineral oils or petroleum.
The tube is made from corn – yes, corn! Thus, it is 100% biodegradable!
And the outer box is made from flower paper with real flower seeds. You can actually plant the box and flowers will bloom… seriously!

I can’t urge you, my fellow beauty whore’s, enough of the importance of using products that evoke change in our world. And I hope that other cosmetic companies follow in Cargo’s bold footsteps and start selling products that not only make us look beautiful, but do good for mankind. We can ALL help change the world… so cliche, but so true!

PLEASE BUY ONE OF THESE FABULOUS LIPPIES TODAY!!! CLICK HERE!

Purple Power!

By | makeup | 6 Comments

Lancome Colour Dose Crazy London is a lip and cheek stain that I’ve been craving… and (GASP!) I don’t think that Lancome makes it anymore!!!

But eBay has it!!!! (SIGH!)

Why I love this product: It’s a great alternative to the red tints – this purplish hued stain looks amazing on fair-haired chicas… and it stays on ALL day, no joke. Sometimes red is a little too extreme, but purple, well, purple is sassy and retro… bring back the 80’s!!!

Try it ASAP… before they’re ALL gone! CLICK HERE TO BUY!

HAPPY EARTH DAY

By | makeup, skin | 6 Comments

Organic products are just so much more environmentally friendly. Like driving a hybrid (I do!) and conserving energy (turn off those lights, computers and plug-in vibrators!), companies that pay considerable attention to the environment while still making beauty products that consumer’s can enjoy, are companies worth celebrating!

So, today, on Earth Day, lets take a moment to reflect on some of our favorite eco-friendly products!

Desert Essence Blemish Touch Stick with Eco-Harvest Tea Tree Oil:
A blemish touch stick for those retchid lil pimples… All natural tea tree oil, rosemary, lavender and thyme help to make this product a must-have zit zapper! Can be applied to blemish up to 6 times a day. With it’s roll on applicator, it makes it easy to use on the go. I LOVE this product… I take it with me everywhere!

Soy candle – White Flower Lei: Handmade soy candles with fragrances meant to destress and aid in meditation. The candles are vegan, kosher and organic! The wax can also be used as a perfume is applied directly to pulse points! This candle is so yummy!

bareMinerals 2-piece Powder Foundation & Brush w/SPF 15: A cult favorite, Bare Minerals loose powder foundation does not contain additives, binders, preservatives, or fragrances. It is literally made of crushed minerals. And it helps to control shine and fight acne, all the while giving your skin a flawless glow. My sister is OBSESSED with this product as I’m sure many of you are too!

The Body Shop’s Satsuma Shimmer Lip Balm: This lip gloss combines shimmer with a burst of color to create the perfect pout. It uses organic beeswax, more specifically, Community Trade beeswax from Zambia. What does this mean to YOU? Well, as the Body Shop puts it, “Community Trade Information Beeswax is a Community Trade ingredient from the remote tropical forests of North West Zambia, where the extra income helps more than 3,000 beekeepers preserve their traditional way of life.” In other words, sustainable beauty! Giving back… we heart the body shop!

Smooth Synergy Organic Tan: Okay, so I’ve never ACTUALLY had this done as I am in LA and the spa is in NY, but I received an email about this incredible service… just in time for earth day! If you’re in the nyc area, give them a call and tell me what you think!
What they say: “Smooth Synergy’s Organic Sunless Spray Tan offers a unique combination of mineral salt bronzers and the approved cosmetic tanning agent DHA20 to produce a natural looking tan. The UV-less tanning product contains no alcohol, oils, perfumes or potentially harmful chemicals or preservatives. This vegetable-derived product can even be sprayed over makeup. The Smooth Synergy UV-Less Tan lasts 5-7 days depending on your skin type and preparation.”

Wow. Organics R Us! Tell beauty banter what organic products you just DIE over!!! Leave a comment or email us at beautybanter@gmail.com

Happy Earth Day!!!

MARK the Spot…

By | makeup | 5 Comments

Avon’s color line, Mark, is both bold and understated. An oxymoron, I know.
It is bold in choice and color, understated in marketability.
I tried out the new Flip For It Spring Color Kit and I’ve got to say that I was tres impressed. Basically, it’s like a face palette, with everything that you need to beautify all in an easy access compact. Two eye shadows, a blush and four lip glosses/ highlighters… what more could a girl ask for?
The compact comes in three color combo’s: New York, Paris and Milan. I used Milan, full of rich golds and browns. The shadows went on easily and STAYED on… and the blush really breathed color… it wasn’t that half-color that you tend to find in so many less expensive products… Mark alludes to a statement. Young, hip, fresh, sophisticated.
I feel forced to repeat myself – this is soooooo not the Avon of our mother’s generation!

Fellow Brit Beauty Whore Recipes…

By | makeup | 7 Comments

I just received this in an email from a fellow Brit Beauty Whore:

“I also want to recommend an amazing self made mask its my mums recipe.
Honey, Yogurt, Olive oil and lemon mix together, place in fridg for an hour
then apply on your face for half an hour then wash… Ahhh feel how soft and
refreshed you will feel.”

Hey, if you don’t like it, don’t blame me! It’s how the Brits refresh their face!

Also, she recommends…

“I haven’t noticed you mentioning a particular item unndubotyl once you use
you will not stop. It is a liquid busher called BENETINT by Benefit.
TIP you
must apply moisteriser before you apply it or it will look blotchy.”

For those not yet in the know, Benetint is a lip and cheek stain. As the company raves, “it is kiss-proof and water-proof!” I do happen to like this product, but only apply it under a gloss because otherwise it tends to make my lips feather…. It is very red, so use sparingly (but when applied correctly, it does give that au natural “blushed” glow!)

BACK FROM BRITAIN

By | body, makeup | 12 Comments

My internet connection wasn’t working properly but I’m back in the states and ready to dish on my fave british products!!!

Jo Malone French Lime Blossom Bath Oil – Superbly subtle and soft. The perfect addition to a lovely bubble bath in London’s regal Dorchester Hotel (where I stayed). Jo Malone is best known for their yummy candles but the bath oil is where it’s at!

You can’t go to London and not buy something from London beauty megahouse, Rimmel. (Kate Moss does the ads??? Ring a bell?) Well, my favorite product from Rimmel is their fabulous eyeliner. Not to mention, the prices are so reasonable, you can actually stock up ten at a time! Try Rimmel Soft Kohl Kajal Eye Pencil in Jet Black, a perfect basic that will make your eyes pop! Hey, if it’s good enough for Kate Moss, it’s good enough for me!

Boots Cucumber Facial Wipes, my new obsession. Everything that Boots makes rocks, and it’s pretty damn cheap, but you must try these cleansing wipes! I use them to clean my make-up brushes. Ever since my friend Kim made me anal about clean brushes, I now clean my brushes after every application. And it actually does help the make-up application process!
Also to try:Boots Coconut & Almond Oil Creme Shower: Smells so fabulous and it’s only about 3 dollars!!!
P.S. Boots is an ultra famous pharmacy chain in London, England and their products are simply divinie!

Ok, more to come tomorrow… I’m so tired, I must sleep…. jet lag!!!!!!!!!!!

To Blue or Not To Blue…

By | makeup | No Comments

Blue is like the new black. At least, as far as eye shadow is concerned. (check the runways… they never lie!)
So, I decided to try it myself… I wore blue to (gasp) a Rod Stewart concert!!! I’m not sure if it was the 80’s love or my fierce eyes, but blue was bold.

Here’s what I did:

To start, I used a base color… something neutral. I like Nars’ All About Eve. I put this on the width of my eye.

Next, I used Tinte Cosmetics Shimmering Face Pearls in Midnight Blue. I used a thin brush, wet it, and applied it first like eyeliner above and below my eye. Then, I used a contour brush and applied the loose powder to my lids, just below the brow bone.

Finally, I used Stila’s Kajal Eye Liner in Sapphire to line the inside of my eyes. This eyeliner could almost be mistaken for black if it weren’t for the lightest navy hue. I loved this liner!!! It wasn’t as aggressive as black but it was still a statement.

Try the blue look and tell us what products you used! Email beautybanter@gmail.com

HERE’S A GREAT ARTICLE THAT EXPLAINS HOW TO WEAR BLUE SHADOWS… CLICK HERE

The Perfect Foundation For YOU

By | makeup | No Comments

This is cool. Women’s Health Magazine has posted the best foundations for each skin type.
CLICK HERE to find out what’s your ideal match!

Apparently, mine is Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer in Neutral to Tan.
Hmmm… I’m gonna have to give it a try!

Fellow Beauty Whore Recommendation… LIP GLOSS

By | makeup | 7 Comments

“One of the girls at work always has shiny lips & I asked her what she used. She uses Victoria’s Secret Beauty Rush Lip Gloss. I asked if she had to apply it alot to get that wet look she has & she said no. That is why she recommends this product – it is the one lipgloss that actually stays on for more than 5 minutes at a time. Being a consumate coffee/diet coke drinker this was right up my alley!!! She usually buys hers in the store for $7.00 a piece. I got online with them directly & they were having a sale on them – 3 for $15.00 – sign me up!!!!! So I ordered 3 – “Honey Do”, “Slice of Heaven”, & “I Want Candy”. They all 3 look & taste delicious. I especially like “Honey Do” as it has extra sparkles in it that really add even more shine but not in a teeny-bopper-high-school sort of way.

The beauty of this product besides awesome shine is that it lasted through several cups of coffee & diet coke without being stickey or gooey. Best thing since sliced bread! I would highly recommend these to anyone I know who is a lipstick/lipgloss freak such as myself!!!”

Susan Hedrick

A few of my favorite things…

By | favorites, hair, makeup, skin | 3 Comments

It’s been a while, but well worth the wait (I hope!)

On this beautiful and sunny Wednesday afternoon, I am going to share with you, fellow beauty whores, a few of my favorite things:

The Body Shop Born Lippy Strawberry Lip Balm – Why? Because it smells fresh, goes on smooth, actually moisturizes (yea!!!) and leaves the lips with the slightest touch of rouge… in other words, I can wear it daily without looking made-up but still looking magnificent.

Kevin Aucoin Super Soft Buff Powder Brush- Why? Because it is cut flat on top so, once dipped in your favorite blush, it covers the perfect amount of cheek… in other words, I don’t need to play the guessing game – where do I put the blush, how far up, etc. This brush does all the dirty work for me!

Cococare Coconut Moisturing Oil – Why? Because it’s a nice break from the old lotion routine. AND it smells simply delicious. And it leaves skin soft, smooth and shiny (like a wrestler, but sexy). And the best part is, it’s cheap!… in other words, I smell and look like a sex goddess without breaking the bank. I also love to mix oil with lotion and lather on my body after a nice long bath (post exfoliation)… there’s something about the combination that really makes the skin “pop.”

A Wide Tooth Comb – Why? Because it is the perfect detangler when hair is still wet AND it doesn’t break the cuticle or the tips. Also, since I have curly hair, it allows enough room for my hair to “breathe” as opposed to a brush which stiffles and suffocates the hair shaft… in other words, hair that’s combed is happy and healthy hair.

Neutrogena Skin Clearing Oil-Free Concealer – Why? Because everyone breaks out and who what’s their blemishes out there for the world to see? This concealer also contains salicylic acid which fights break-outs and reduces redness. So really, you get two in one – a zit zapper and a cover-up… in other words, this product is genius! (I use color medium 03 and I NEVER leave home without it!)

Tell us your favorite things by emailing beautybanter@gmail.com

ALSO, hair crazed Jenny is back in town so if you have a question for the lovely Jenny C, email us asap!!!