Category:  makeup

Thi Cosmetics: Back to Basics

By | makeup | One Comment

I SO love discovering a great new color line! Thi Cosmetics is the beauty-child of makeup artist Taylor Pham. Initially, the line was developed for Asian women with yellow undertones, but, like with all great products, women of every color and race can use them.

Here’s why we love the line: The colors are so simple and basic that they’re ideal for maintaining everyday beauty. They flatter what you already have instead of paint a “look” or “image” that is hardly you at all.

The line consists of a cream shadow or “base,” 7 powder eye shadows (ranging from nudes to golds to a few charcoals) , 5 peachy lip glosses (**Beauty Banter Pick** Kanya – a high-gloss nude, great paired with a gold eye), 2 light pink blushes, a red lipstick (“not too orange, not too pink”), 5 shades of liquid foundation, and 3 brushes.

The powder shadows are made with high-quality pigments that glide on the eye with ease and smoothness. And the lip glosses are ultra shiny and perfectly tailored to add the right amount of color without becoming overwhelmingly bright and/ or busy.

I haven’t tried the blush or foundations but if the gloss and eye shadow are any indication, the other products must be incredible too. It’s all so easy and beautifully basic and “virtually mistake proof.” How refreshing – a few products that fit together to enhance your own natural beauty! We love this concept! And the packaging is just as sleek and elegant: deep egplant/ brown casings with silver writing…

Apparently, the brushes are amazing as well – we’ll have to try these next as we are always on the hunt for the perfect blending brush!

To view the entire line, click HERE.

P.S. The website indicates that you’ll receive a FREE blending brush with any purchase of $85.00 or more… stock up asap!

PRICE TAG: $18.00 for an eye shadow/ $17.00 for a lip gloss

Acne-Fighting Foundation

By | makeup | 6 Comments

One of my all time favorite concealers EVER is the DermaBlend Cover Duet Custom Corrector – two cream colors on either side of a wand, perfect for custom blending.

Truth be told, DermaBlend makes fabulous concealers and foundations for all skin types! It’s like red carpet, perfection coverage!

Well, I just found my next favorite product by DermaBlend and…. GASP!… it’s been discontinued! (Fret not, we’ve found a few extra tubes surfing the web).

DermaBlend’s Acne Results Treatment Foundation is a wonderful product for those of us who suffer from problem-skin. It contains .5 % Salicylic Acid (long known for fighting acne) and it provides light, even coverage. Of course, it’s buildable so the the more you apply, the stronger the coverage is. It’s oil-free, fragrance-free, non-comedogenic, and non-acnegenic. This is a must-have product for anyone with acne-prone skin or for those who want to prevent acne by using a foundation that actually fights the bacteria as it covers!

A word (or several…) from the company:
“The advanced oil absorbent system helps control oil breakouts all day and provides 8 hours of shine control for a natural looking matte finish.”

The foundation comes in 6 shades ranging from ivory (for you pale girls) to brown. I use the natural and I love it! It’s not cakey and, as I mentioned, it really is a light coverage that leaves skin-tone even and less blotchy. I also feel perfectly secure that this product will never cause a breakout!

But, hurry and stock up now, before the product is completely gone… If you live in NYC, you can purchase the foundation at Clyde’s Pharmacy or you can buy it by clicking HERE.

R.I.P. Acne Results Treatment Foundation! I hope you are reincarnated very, very soon!

PRICE TAG: $22.50

MAC’S SKINFINISH DUO REVIEW

By | makeup | 3 Comments

Ever since posting about MAC’s launch of NEW VIEW, our inbox has been flooded with one, singular question regarding the new Skinfinish Duodo we likey???

Well, my fellow beauties, the verdict is in: WE LOVE IT!!!

And here’s why – it’s flawless… literally. Skinfinish has long been a popular MAC staple…. and now they’ve combined the two products in one convenient compact! Not only does this duo produce a flawless look on your skin, it also feels like silk. Natural and gentle, with a light shimmer if you so incline. I’m using a shade slightly darker then my natural skin color because while the rest of my body is golden and tan, my face is not (I use SPF 70 on my mug!). And it’s a tad embarrassing when the color on my face and body don’t exactly “match up.” Thus, I opted for the Medium Dark/ Natural and Shimmer hue. I apply the matte to my entire face and the shimmer to my cheekbones (to highlight the area).

The powder duo creates the perfect mixture of sun streaked gold with a healthy dose of iridescent light. I swear, I think I may even forgo the entire “bronzing” aspect of my makeup application – this duo provides amazing coverage AND color… who needs bronzer?!

So, my tip, if you’re like me and you’re saving your face from years of skin damage, buy a color one shade darker then your natural skin tone. This way, it’ll act as powder, bronzer AND highlighter! Three products for the price of one…. we love bargain shopping!!!

PRICE TAG: $26.50

NEW MAC COLLECTIONS!!!

By | makeup | 3 Comments

MAC just launched 3 NEW collections: ELECTROFLASH, SONIC CHICK, AND NEW VIEW. Basically, all the lines are a spin on mineralized makeup with fresh and exciting shadow duos (marbelized to boot), skin powders and blushes all in fierce new colors. The lippies are pinks and mauves at their finest…. (I want them ALL!) I haven’t had a chance to play around with any of the products yet, but here are the deets:

*ELECTROFLASH*

Lipsticks ($14.00):
Dangerously Hot
Fast Thrill
Mellow Mood
Vanity’s Child

Lipglasses ($14.00):
Cultureclash
Li’ Hot Pepper
Major Minor
Sonic Vibe

Shadow Duos ($17.50):
Fresh Green
Hot Contrast
Love Connection
Odd Couple
Pink Split
Play on Plums
Polar Opposites
Sea & Sky
Two to Glow

Brushes ($30.00):
227 Large Fluff Brush

*SONIC CHICK*

Blushes ($21.00):
Dainty
Gentle
Gleeful
Love Joy
Love Thing
Merrily
Nuance
Pleasantry
Warm Soul

Brushes ($30.00):
181 Small Buffer Brush

*NEW VIEW*

Skinfinish Duos (26.50):
“The two finishes of our popular Skinfinish presented in one convenient duo compact. One side provides a natural matte finish, while the other brings an ambient shimmer to cheeks and browbones. “
(Click HERE for the 5 shades)

Brushes ($40.00):
189 Face Brush

What products are you DYING to own????

***Available NOW!***

We’re BLUSHING Over Smashbox’s Latest BLUSHES

By | makeup | 7 Comments

Blush is a necessity for EVERY woman…. seriously! It revives a dull and tired face and brightens a complexion.
We had the opportunity to try out Smashbox Cosmetics newest line of ALL BLUSHES, Blush Rush, and we heart them!!!!

(click image to enlarge)

The concept behind the Blush Rush line is this: The colors are meant to work with every skin tone. Each shade is streak-proof and lasts all day. They are paraben and fragrance-free, infused with Vitamins A and E (good for skin) AND the compact comes with a swivel mirror hidden along the bottom (for easy on-the-go application)! How genius!!!!

While some of the colors are too light for our personal liking (and don’t really make a dent on our olive complexion) and others are a bit too bronzey (our skin is already naturally bronzed), Blush Rush definitely delivers close to purrrfection with every blush.

Here are the 8 shades in the line:
BARE cool dusty rose
ECSTASY warm shimmery nude
CHIFFON shimmery warm golden pink
PARADISE warm golden apricot
FLUSH shimmery cool pink
HEARTBREAK warm shimmery plum
GINGERSNAP warm rosy bronze
CRUSH cool raspberry

Our faves are Crush (dramatic for day), Paradise (apricot – color of the moment), Heartbreak (my new nighttime staple – it really makes a “blushing” statement), and Chiffon (great everyday burst of pink).

*** Professional Tip *** “Apply BLUSH RUSH to apples of cheeks and sweep back toward ears using BLUSH BRUSH #16 or FAN BRUSH #22.

PRICE TAG: $24.00 (for each blush). AVAILABLE AUGUST 1 at smashbox.com.

The WHITE EYE done RIGHT…

By | makeup | 5 Comments

We, at Beauty Banter, are here to help. We love receiving your beauty questions and those sometimes frightening beauty emergencies. After all, that’s why I started blogging in the first place!

So, when one of our lovely readers, JOG, wrote in with the following question – “I see a lot of pics of celebs with what appears to be white eyeshadow. how do they pull this off without looking creepy/cakey/gross? Is there a method or a specific e/s you can recommend?” – we knew we not only wanted to answer it for her, but for all of our other readers as well.

This is a great Summer beauty question… how do you do a white eye right?

(Shimmery White Eye with Liner and Lashes:
J. Lo. from the Costume Institute Gala; May, 2008)

We enlisted the help of two amazing professional makeup artists for the answer.

Celebrity Makeup Artist and Photographer, Troy Jensen (he’s painted the faces of Cameron Diaz, Eva Mendes, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Beckinsale, Halle Berry, and Paris Hilton – just to name a very, very few… you must check out his website – his client list is RIDICULOUS!), gave us these brilliant products and tips to help us on our quest:

Jouer Cosmetics has a brilliant cream white highlighter that works great in the eyes, Just dab it on your eye-lids with your finger tips, curl your lashes and add black Diorshow Mascara. I love to pair this eye with a deep pink stain lip and sheer gloss. I love Three Custom Color’s “Light Bright Lip Collection” in Palladium, Danceteria, and Limelight. They give a sheer wash of vibrant color. Perfect with a shimmery white eye, That’s fresh for Summer.”

Smashbox’s resident makeup artist, Lori Taylor, also had some tips and products in mind. Here’s her professional advice:

“The best way to achieve this look is by not choosing a white that is chalky. Using a cream based shadow or a shimmering white is best (try the white from the Smashbox trio, Twilight). You can be a little playful by adding an eyeliner that has a bit of pop to it. Like metallic gray, bronze or pewter (Try Smashbox’s Lava-Pewter, Putty-Taupe, Thunder-Gray or Water-Proof Jet-Set Bronze). Even purple, green or blue (a deep and subtle shade, not electric) shades can enhance the subtle color you tend to have by being in the sun. Experiment with false lashes. Summer is the time to push the make up envelope and shed those old winter habits and drab winter colors.

It’s always important to keep in mind that during the summer months (and really all year round) one should not mask the skin with foundation, try using a tinted moisturizer like Smashbox’s Sheer Focus. Skin is the basis for any good make up!

Thanks to Troy and Lori for their **exclusive** expertise!

And remember, if you’re in a beauty bind, email us! We’re here to help (and so are our fabulous, famous makeup artist friends)!

Get Anne Hathway’s GET SMART Look…

By | celebrity looks, makeup | One Comment

As you may or may not know, actress Anne Hathaway was named Lancome’s spokesmodel and brand ambassador back in January of 2008. So, it comes as no surprise that when Annie readies herself for red-carpet events, Lancome is there to paint her famous face.

Last Thursday, Lancôme hosted a special screening of Get Smart with Anne at the private Core Club in New York City. The screening benefited the Lollipop Theater Network, a charitable organization that Anne is involved in. The organization provides first-run movies to children with serious illnesses who otherwise would miss seeing these movies in the theaters due to their long hospital stays.

Congrats to Annie for being an actress who not only graces us with her talent and beauty, but also gives back to those in need!

And now, on to the beauty tip. Lancome gave us an inside peek into Anne’s beauty preparation so that you too can recreate the look. Says Lancome:

“Celebrity makeup artist Julie Harris did Anne’s makeup for the screening. Anne has the most gorgeous porcelain skin (she’s a major proponent of sunscreen) so Julie played up her eyes, cheeks and lips. She used Lancôme black liquid Artliner on the upper lash line to make Anne’s eyes pop and added a few coats of Lancôme Hypnôse mascara, giving her lashes a beautiful boost of volume and length. Julie added just a touch of color to the apples of the cheeks with Giorgio Armani Sheer Cream Blush #2. She set the look by dusting Laura Mercier translucent powder all over Anne’s face. Julie opted for a soft neutral colored pout and finished the look with Lancôme Color Design Lipcolor in B-List.”

Here’s the finished product:

(click image to enlarge)

P.S. When did Annie get her new haircut and how do we feel about it???

SWEATPROOF YOUR FACE

By | makeup | 23 Comments

We just divulged our secrets on sweatproofing your scalp, and now we have some tips and products for sweatproofing your face!

First, you’ll need to start with a good, old-fashioned sunscreen (nobody wants wrinkles… and everyone knows that the summer sun is brutal for your skin’s youthful glow). We’re obsessed with It’s lightweight, oil-free, fast absorbing, waterproof and sweatproof (duh), non-shiny, dry to the touch (unlike old sunscreens that are creamy and cakey and leave a white residue that reeks of sunblock mishaps), and, best of all, this sunscreen protects against UVA AND UVB rays (insert YAY’s here)! We also love that it comes in a variety of SPF’s – 45, 55, and 70 (our protection of choice). Oh yeah, the price is pretty awesome too… $10.16 for 3.0 fl. oz.

Next, you’ll want to use a primer – something that control the inevitable summer oil and shine. Try Philosphy’s Never Let Them See You Shine. It reduces skin shine up to 55%, decreases appearances of pores up to 36%, and reduces sebum up to 49%! It also contains antioxidants to protect the skin from environmental hazards while still providing long-lasting oil and shine control. Bottom line – wear this primer and your face will definitely be sweatproofed! $20.00 for 1 oz. (but a little goes a loooong way!).

When it comes to cheek stains, Tarte Cosmetics takes the gold medal. Their classic, aptly named Tarte Cheek Stain swept into the hearts (and cheeks) of beauty addicts all across the world. The latest installment to their cheek stain empire is no exception: Natural Swirl Cheek Stain is “an all-natural version of Tarte’s award-winning cheek stain that swirls two universally flattering shades together.” Cheek stains are awesome because, unlike powder blushes, they go on and stay on… all day… no need to reapply! They literally stain your cheeks for a natural, flushed, pinkish glow that even the scorching heat can’t sweat off. The Natural Swirl is amazing not only because the color is so fierce and fresh, but also because Tarte is helping to save the world through its makeup!
“In keeping with Tarte’s eco-friendly efforts, they’ve partnered with Sambazon, creators of the Sustainable Açaí Project – an initiative to promote positive change in the Amazon Rainforest through forest conservation, improved living conditions and educational opportunities through the sustainable management of the Açaí Palm tree. Açai is an antioxidant-rich super fruit that helps fight free radicals, promotes cell regeneration, has known anti-inflammatory and skin softening properties and combats premature signs of aging.” We heart companies that provide us with beautiful products while helping to keep the world a beautiful place too! $28.00 for 1 0z. (apply sparingly… dab onto the apples of your cheeks and blot outwards).

Virtually every cosmetic company makes a waterproof mascara but how many can claim that the mascara will last 24 hours??? Well, Prescriptives Here To Stay 24-Hour Long Wear Mascara not only claims this, it also delivers the results! I literally couldn’t remove this mascara with merely soap and water!!! This is the must-have Summer mascara – perfect for swimming, sweating, sleeping (you know those nights when you just happen to “fall” asleep at your boyfriend’s house… you don’t actually want him to know that your lashes are really blonde, thin, and ultra short, do you?). This mascara never comes off, never smears, never runs! AND, it actually works wonders on the lashes. The wand is plastic (our fave) which means that it can really get deep into the lash line, lengthening the lashes and coating every inch of hair with dramatic blackness! The wand also does wonders to separate lashes, thus unclumping unfortunate mascara goo. Here To Stay is waterproof, smudge-proof, and sweat-proof! $19.50

A lip stain is crucial in sweaty, humid climates. The last thing a girl wants in a bleeding lip (and by bleeding we mean your lippy is bleeding into the cracks of your mouth… yuckness!). theBalm’s Stainiac Hint of Tint is the perfect lip stain that’ll rectify the bleeding lip problem (and keep your lips matte all day long). Sure, there are a ton of lip stains on the market, and you can even use a cheek stain on your lips as well, but this particular lip stain is one that EVERY makeup junkie should keep in her makeup bag year round. Not only is it great for summer – as the stain literally stays in place ALL DAY LONG – but it’s an obvious choice for Fall, Winter and Spring too! You see, if you apply a stain prior to applying another gloss or lippy, you not only enhance the color, you also secure the staying power of said lippy. Stainiac is sweatproof, food proof, drink proof and kiss proof. Just a dab allows for natural, flushed lips. A little more looks like you ate a bowl of cherries, maybe a lolipop. And yet, even more, and you’re lips are smoltering hot in that sexy, ravishing red sort of way. It’s all in the layering, ladies! Of course, this too can be used as a cheek stain. Just a dab on the apples of your cheeks and you’ll look like you’re blushing, au natural style! (NOTE: Stainiac is pure red, unlike Tarte’s Natural Swirl Cheek Stain which is way more on the peach/ pink side of the color spectrum). $14.00
And if you’re still feeling icky and sweaty, try using blotting papers… they really do work wonders to absorbs excess oil, rid the face of perspiration and diminish shine. are a handy on-the-go pick-me-up for shiny, sweaty mugs (a.k.a. faces). We like them because they wont remove your makeup and they fit nicely in your purse… amazing for nights out on the town (and G-d knows a crowded bar/ club can really get your sweat on)! And, of course, Clean and Clear has long been a skincare brand favorite for problem and acne prone skin types… so, we trust them! $5.29 for a pack of 50

We know it’s hot… and humid… and sickly sweaty… so, stay cool, stay calm, stay sweatproof, and, of course, stay beautiful!

Summer 2008: CLINIQUE

By | makeup | 4 Comments

Now that summer is practically blazing at our door step, I thought it best that we review some of our favorite makeup companies Summer collections…

Clinique’s Air-Kissed Colours is subtle, simple and very summery. With a myriad of browns and pinks for eyes, lips and cheeks, your skin will look moist, luminous and absolutely gorgeous! What I like best about this collection is that the colors are truly wearable… not like other collections where the colors are so au vant guard, you’re scared to actually try them on your face (for fear you may, in fact, step away from the mirror resembling a transvestite). Back to basics… and we LOVE it!

The concept of the line is this:
“Welcome to a world suddenly in flower, a summer look that’s sweeter, softer, brighter. Glossy lips, softly defined eyes. And all the moisture skin needs to thrive in this sun-kissed season. “

Here are our favorites:

Colour Surge Eye Shadow Trio – Three coordinating shades for a wardrobe of possibilities — each can be worn alone, as pairs, or layered together.

Fresh Bloom Allover Colour – Long-wearing powder creates a sheer, subtle radiance that looks fresh, stays fresh. Sweep over face for an allover, luminous glow, or brush on cheekbones to highlight.

Long Last Glosswear SPF 15 – Lip gloss juiced up with 8 hours of lasting shine. In 18 glistening shades from sheer to full intensity.

Moisture Surge™ Extended Thirst Relief – Advanced hydration gives 12 hours of soothing moisture. Able to hold skin’s moisture in balance through stressful shifts in humidity, like steamy exteriors and interiors parched by air conditioning.

Superbalm Moisturizing Gloss – Thicker then the glosswear, but just as colorful. 12 hues, we love cocoa and guava best for our summer pout!

For the entire Clinique Summer Collection, Click HERE.

Summer Face 2008

By | makeup | 6 Comments

We all know how AWFUL the sun is for our faces, so make a vow to yourself… THIS SUMMER, I WILL NOT ALLOW THE SUN TO PENETRATE THROUGH MY FRAGILE FACE. I will take precautions when tanning (use SPF that protects against UVA AND UVB rays), and I will treat my skin with the love and care that it deserves…
So, please, I BEG YOU, use an alternative… bronzer, mystic tan (although I despise the orange hue), buildable color moisturizer, or tinted moisturizer.

Here are a few of our favorites:

Benefit’s You Rebel gives good summer face. It’s a tinted moisturizer with SPF 15 and it adds just the right amount of gold (without looking super fake) to your skin. **TIP** Try mixing it with a touch of foundation for an even, flawless, bronzed complexion with added coverage!

Chanel’s Soleil Lame Tinted Bronzing Gel is lightweight and basic. It’s a gel (which I love… doesn’t cake) that glides onto the skin to produce an even tan sans the sun. The color is natural and the gel absorbs without the shine of tinted moisturizers. Great for oily complexions!

Tarte Hotel Heiress is a long time favorite. It’s a powder bronzer (mineral) and I swear, it gives off the best damn sun-kissed effect. I’ve tried many a bronzers and this one continues to be an everyday must-have. It doesn’t give off that sparkle, fake tan look… this bronzer is way more matte and truly au natural.

Glow Fusion
is another favorite from last year. It’s the closest thing to a mystic tan (that I’ve found) AND you can do it yourself… at home! BONUS: It doesn’t give you that nasty, orange spray-tan look! The color is actually amazingly bronze! And if you follow the directions, it really does give you even, precise color.

Physicians Formula Pearls of Perfection Multi-Colored Bronzer is fantastic for those porcelain skinned folks out there. It has a pink undertone to offset the gold so it doesn’t appear too fake (instead it gives off a “warm” finish). I love the consistency – it’s soft and smooth – and it really leaves skin glowing. The pearls are also incredibly fun to play around with… it’s like a combination of loose powder (very potent) and pressed powder (matte, and not as messy). And you can’t beat the price: $11.95.

Bobbi Brown Bronze Shimmer Brick Compact is shimmery and glittery and full of iridescent fun! Personally, I don’t like loads of shimmer in my bronzer, but for those of you who do, this is the bronzer to get. It has five shades, all ranging in golden hues, and it mixes together quite brilliantly to produce a healthy, vibrant, glowing face. I do, however, love this product as an added highlighter atop my matte bronzing powder. It really does create a gorgeous, golden dimension to the skin.