Category:  makeup

Lip Prescription…

By | makeup | 3 Comments

…You choose the color!

Thanks to Prescriptive’s new Custom Blend Lip Glosses, anyone can be a chemist (and by chemist, we mean that anyone can create colors… not all that science stuff)!

How does it work?

It’s a 4 step process:

1 – Choose a base shade (rangin from berry to pink and all hte coral’s and beige’s in between)
2 – Choose a finish
3 – Choose a flavor
4 – Review

It’s that easy to make a personalized lip gloss suited for your precious pout!!!

So fun!

To make your very own lip shade, CLICK HERE.

The future is a colorful place…

CALLING ALL… BEAUTY ADDICTS!

By | makeup | One Comment

How could we ever dislike a product line aptly named, Beauty Addicts?!
We can’t!

After trying an array of their fun and fresh colors, we’ve found a few favorites that have subsequently become permanent staples in our make-up drawer!

Beauty Addicts is, “an effortlessly elegant color system of palettes using shades and textures that complement each other with timeless style and an of-the-moment edge.”

If it’s all about the presentation, then Beauty Addicts scores major points with theirs… Each palette comes beautifully packaged in a shimmering bag bedazzled with faux jewels. But the real treat is what’s inside the bag.

Take, for example, the Express GLIMMERsheer – Luminizer, a dual color palette consisting of “glimmer – a soft focus luminizing luster for a sun-kissed, elegant sheen, and sheer – a crystal clear luminzer that hydrates and enhances glowing skin.” What does this mean? Well, you can highlight and luminize eyes, cheeks or lips with one part shimmer and the other part gloss. I love the way it accentuates my cheekbones. I also used on my brow bone to give my eyes a mini “life” effect.
The duo comes in four shades: Glow, Express, Motivate and Seduce. Express, the one I have is a golden hue and compliments a sun-kissed complexion equisitely!

Another product I adore from this practical line is the Mineral Sheer Tint with SPF 20. It’s a mineral-based tinted foundation/ moisturizer that is oil-free and hypoallergenic. I have super sensitive skin that tends to get blotchy (ugh!), so I’m always looking for a quick, non abrassive way to even out my skin tone and this product did the trick! It stayed on all day and made my skin look so even and beautiful, I was jealous of my own reflection!!!

Fans of the line include, Sharon Stone, Mya and Zooey Deschanel.

To check out the entire line, CLICK HERE.

Q & A – dark circles

By | makeup | 9 Comments

QUESTION: I have dark circles under my eyes even when I am fully rested, can you recommend a good eye cream and/or a concealer?

ANSWER: Try Avon’s ANEW ALTERNATIVE Intensive Eye Cream (I blogged about this product a couple month’s back… CLICK HERE to read the post). I really like this product… it feels refreshing yet isn’t greasy. It also promises a significant decrease in dark circles.

I’d also say to fork over some major bucks and invest in the best under-eye cover up on the market… Cle de Peau’s Concealer. It comes in three shades: Ivory, Ocher and Beige, and it’s designed to reduce redness (for zits) and dark hues. This is some serious cover-up.

Although, dark circles can be genetic, diet can also play a significant role. Research has shown that increasing your iron intake can help… try eating more spinach!

And finally, random, I know, but an at-home remedy that people swear by…. cucumber juice (it lightens the area)! Smash it up, skin and all, and apply under your eyes. Leave on for 15 minutes and rinse!

Have a question? Email us at beautybanter@gmail.com and we will post a response!

Tanning 2007

By | makeup | 4 Comments

Here it is! The big, fun filled tanning 2007 guide to beautiful, sun-kissed skin sans UVA and UVB rays (basically, tanned skin without the sun!)

I have tried a plethora of products in my quest for the best! Here, in no particular order, are a couple of tanning products that I just can’t live without…

GlowFusion Micro-Nutrient Face & Body Natural Protein Tan: The absolute best spray tan that you can do yourself! Like a mystic tan, just at home. It applies evenly and leaves skin bronzed within seconds. I have very sensitive skin and I use this product on my face without fear of break-outs!!! It rocks!!! PRICE: $58.00 (and well worth every last cent!)

Dove Energy Glow Daily Moisturizer with Subtle Self Tanners, For Medium Skin Tones: It also comes in light, but I use medium because I want a quick, rich tan asap. This is a lotion that you use EVERY day after the shower… it works by gradually enhancing your NATURAL skin color, thus the more you use it, the darker you become. It smells fresh, not like a self-tanner, it doesn’t stain clothes AND it actually moisturizes. I tried many tanning moisturizers and what I found is that most don’t actually moisturize. This one does it all! PRICE: $7.99

NARS Blush & Bronzer Duo – Orgasm & Laguna: The perfect Summer compact: Two of my favorite colors side by side. Laguna is a rich, golden bronzer, while Orgasm is a subtle pinky-peach shimmer blush. Used together, it makes you look like you just left the beach! All sun-kissed and fresh-faced! PRICE: $36.00

L’Oreal Sunless Sublime Glow Daily Moisturizer, Fair Skin Tones: Like the Dove moisturizing lotion, this too enhances your natural skin tone, but it also adds a hint of sparkle every time you use it! I like to wear this lotion when I’m going out at night because the shimmer accentuates the tan and also makes my skin look dewy. Available in medium too! PRICE: ON SALE for $8.99

Jergens Natural Glow Face Moisturizer, Fair: This oil-free, non-comedogenic face lotion with SPF 20 is ideal for sensitive, acne prone skin types. Not only does it enhance your skin’s natural color (building a “tan” the more times you use it), but it is perfect for evening out blothcy, or scarred skin. I love this product and have actually started using it as my primary facial moisturizer! PRICE: ON SALE for $5.78

Tarte Celebutante Dry Oil Shimmer Spray: Most people love the Nars body shimmer but I’ve gotta say, it’s so greasy and always gets all over my clothes. That’s when I found this dry oil product. Essentially, it does the same thing: spray on your body and you have a dewy, bronzed glow. But this one is not greasy AND it dries much faster then Nars (it also smells like coconut… yummy!). It’s not as deep of a tan as Nars, more of a champagne color, but I’ll sacrifice so long as my clothes stay fake-tan free! PRICE: $28.00

Physicians Formula Summer Eclipse Bronzing & Shimmery Face Powder: This bi-colored bronzer provides both a light tan and a golden shimmer! Physicians Formula rules the market in bronzing products – they sent me 23 different bronzers to test! Although I haven’t had a chance to use all of them, this specific bronzer worked really well for my skin because it gave a natural glow and provided that dewy look that I love. Plus, it’s hypoallergenic, fragrance-free, oil free, non-comedogenic AND dermatologist approved! WOW! PRICE: $11.95

I just can’t write this post without once again discussing my all-time favorite face product, Laura Mercier’s Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer in Sand with SPF 20: I use this product EVER day and it completely evens out my blothcy skin-tone PLUS it adds color to my face! The sun is so bad for your skin, not to mention what it does to scars and brown spots, so by using this product, I look tan, I’m saving my face AND I producing a “perfect palette;” even skin tone! I kid you not, when I wear this product, people tell me that I have fabulous skin! Can oyu imagine?! PRICE: $40.00

Have a favorite faux-tan product?! Let us know by emailing the beauty whore at beautybanter@gmail.com!!!

Tan away, fellow beauty whores!!!

Mrs. McDreamy for Avon

By | makeup | 3 Comments

Upon learning of make-up artist Jillian Dempsey’s (and real-life wife of McDreamy, a.k.a. Patrick Dempsey) new color line, I just had to try it out (I have the hugest, platonic crush on McDreamy…. ahhhhh….). Jillian recently took on the role of Global Creative Color Director for our new favorite cosmetic giant, Avon. “Avon collaborate closely with her in a campaign to refresh its shade palettes, launch limited-edition seasonal color collections, as well as new product concepts, beginning in Spring 2007.”
Alas, we reach the part of the story where I get to actually TRY a product. My girls over at The Silver Spoon happened to have Jillian Dempsey for Avon sheer glow all over face powder. Can you imagine my excitement?!
I took the beautiful floral-designed palette home, broke out my MAC 187 Duo Fibre Brush(right) (“A large full circular brush used for lightweight application and blending of face powder or pigments…” a must-have brush – can also be used to apply wet foundation!!!)and began applying the taupe and pink colors…
First on my cheeks like blush, then a little on my nose, chin and forehead… and let me tell you… I glowed. It was a tad more pink then brown, which I didn’t mind, because it really gave me that Sun-kissed look. It’s more sheer then a bronzer and more nude then a blush…
So try Jillian Dempsey for Avon All Over Face Powder in Sandy Corals and tell us what you think!
Also available in a lighter hue, Peach Champagne.

WEEKLY MUST-HAVE

By | makeup, weekly must-have | 11 Comments

Earth Day came and went, but that doesn’t mean that we can just simply stop thinking about our envirnment!
I was recently sent an incredible product. It is one of the coolest, most inspiring products that I have used in a long time.
How can a lipstick be inspiring, you ask? Sustainable beauty. Changing the world while looking beautiful…
I love it!

Introducing Cargo Cosmetics PLANTLOVE: a collection of 12 lipsticks, in eco-friendly packaging, and part of the proceeds of the sale of the product go to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, the world’s pediatric cancer research center.
Wow. Talk about a lipstick doing a lot of good!
And the best part, the lipsticks are actually amazing! I tried the “Sarah Chalke” (suiting considering my name is Sarah too…), designed exlusively for Cargo by Ms. Chalke (other celeb designers include Evangeline Lilly and Lindsay Lohan). It’s a sheer pink hue with a dash of shimmer. And it looks fab on tanned skin – perfect for summer.
The lipstick is made completely of botanical ingredients: vitamin E, shea butter, jojoba and the formula is environmentally friendly containing NO mineral oils or petroleum.
The tube is made from corn – yes, corn! Thus, it is 100% biodegradable!
And the outer box is made from flower paper with real flower seeds. You can actually plant the box and flowers will bloom… seriously!

I can’t urge you, my fellow beauty whore’s, enough of the importance of using products that evoke change in our world. And I hope that other cosmetic companies follow in Cargo’s bold footsteps and start selling products that not only make us look beautiful, but do good for mankind. We can ALL help change the world… so cliche, but so true!

PLEASE BUY ONE OF THESE FABULOUS LIPPIES TODAY!!! CLICK HERE!

Purple Power!

By | makeup | 6 Comments

Lancome Colour Dose Crazy London is a lip and cheek stain that I’ve been craving… and (GASP!) I don’t think that Lancome makes it anymore!!!

But eBay has it!!!! (SIGH!)

Why I love this product: It’s a great alternative to the red tints – this purplish hued stain looks amazing on fair-haired chicas… and it stays on ALL day, no joke. Sometimes red is a little too extreme, but purple, well, purple is sassy and retro… bring back the 80’s!!!

Try it ASAP… before they’re ALL gone! CLICK HERE TO BUY!

HAPPY EARTH DAY

By | makeup, skin | 6 Comments

Organic products are just so much more environmentally friendly. Like driving a hybrid (I do!) and conserving energy (turn off those lights, computers and plug-in vibrators!), companies that pay considerable attention to the environment while still making beauty products that consumer’s can enjoy, are companies worth celebrating!

So, today, on Earth Day, lets take a moment to reflect on some of our favorite eco-friendly products!

Desert Essence Blemish Touch Stick with Eco-Harvest Tea Tree Oil:
A blemish touch stick for those retchid lil pimples… All natural tea tree oil, rosemary, lavender and thyme help to make this product a must-have zit zapper! Can be applied to blemish up to 6 times a day. With it’s roll on applicator, it makes it easy to use on the go. I LOVE this product… I take it with me everywhere!

Soy candle – White Flower Lei: Handmade soy candles with fragrances meant to destress and aid in meditation. The candles are vegan, kosher and organic! The wax can also be used as a perfume is applied directly to pulse points! This candle is so yummy!

bareMinerals 2-piece Powder Foundation & Brush w/SPF 15: A cult favorite, Bare Minerals loose powder foundation does not contain additives, binders, preservatives, or fragrances. It is literally made of crushed minerals. And it helps to control shine and fight acne, all the while giving your skin a flawless glow. My sister is OBSESSED with this product as I’m sure many of you are too!

The Body Shop’s Satsuma Shimmer Lip Balm: This lip gloss combines shimmer with a burst of color to create the perfect pout. It uses organic beeswax, more specifically, Community Trade beeswax from Zambia. What does this mean to YOU? Well, as the Body Shop puts it, “Community Trade Information Beeswax is a Community Trade ingredient from the remote tropical forests of North West Zambia, where the extra income helps more than 3,000 beekeepers preserve their traditional way of life.” In other words, sustainable beauty! Giving back… we heart the body shop!

Smooth Synergy Organic Tan: Okay, so I’ve never ACTUALLY had this done as I am in LA and the spa is in NY, but I received an email about this incredible service… just in time for earth day! If you’re in the nyc area, give them a call and tell me what you think!
What they say: “Smooth Synergy’s Organic Sunless Spray Tan offers a unique combination of mineral salt bronzers and the approved cosmetic tanning agent DHA20 to produce a natural looking tan. The UV-less tanning product contains no alcohol, oils, perfumes or potentially harmful chemicals or preservatives. This vegetable-derived product can even be sprayed over makeup. The Smooth Synergy UV-Less Tan lasts 5-7 days depending on your skin type and preparation.”

Wow. Organics R Us! Tell beauty banter what organic products you just DIE over!!! Leave a comment or email us at beautybanter@gmail.com

Happy Earth Day!!!

MARK the Spot…

By | makeup | 5 Comments

Avon’s color line, Mark, is both bold and understated. An oxymoron, I know.
It is bold in choice and color, understated in marketability.
I tried out the new Flip For It Spring Color Kit and I’ve got to say that I was tres impressed. Basically, it’s like a face palette, with everything that you need to beautify all in an easy access compact. Two eye shadows, a blush and four lip glosses/ highlighters… what more could a girl ask for?
The compact comes in three color combo’s: New York, Paris and Milan. I used Milan, full of rich golds and browns. The shadows went on easily and STAYED on… and the blush really breathed color… it wasn’t that half-color that you tend to find in so many less expensive products… Mark alludes to a statement. Young, hip, fresh, sophisticated.
I feel forced to repeat myself – this is soooooo not the Avon of our mother’s generation!

Fellow Brit Beauty Whore Recipes…

By | makeup | 7 Comments

I just received this in an email from a fellow Brit Beauty Whore:

“I also want to recommend an amazing self made mask its my mums recipe.
Honey, Yogurt, Olive oil and lemon mix together, place in fridg for an hour
then apply on your face for half an hour then wash… Ahhh feel how soft and
refreshed you will feel.”

Hey, if you don’t like it, don’t blame me! It’s how the Brits refresh their face!

Also, she recommends…

“I haven’t noticed you mentioning a particular item unndubotyl once you use
you will not stop. It is a liquid busher called BENETINT by Benefit.
TIP you
must apply moisteriser before you apply it or it will look blotchy.”

For those not yet in the know, Benetint is a lip and cheek stain. As the company raves, “it is kiss-proof and water-proof!” I do happen to like this product, but only apply it under a gloss because otherwise it tends to make my lips feather…. It is very red, so use sparingly (but when applied correctly, it does give that au natural “blushed” glow!)