Category:  makeup bag

pamela_love_makeup_bag

Makeup Bag: Pamela Love

By | makeup bag | 15 Comments

“Beauty, for me, is definitely about confidence. It’s not about subscribing to any idea of beauty, it’s about feeling comfortable and confident in yourself, feeling like you look the best that you can look. I think it’s also about having fun, like a fantasy. Being able to explore different worlds, almost. It’s a combination of being confident, being happy with how you look, and also being able to have fun with the way you look.

My first experiences with makeup were definitely when I was really little, maybe 6 or so. My grandmother would get the Clinique gift-with-purchase and she would always give me all of the products and I would take them and put them all over my face. I had no idea, no concept of what looked good, but I thought it was so fun to be able to put it on and pretend to be a grown-up. I think I’ve always had a love affair with beauty products, especially makeup, since I was little.  There’s a fantasy element that I’ve always really enjoyed.

As I’ve grown older, I haven’t had as much time to play with makeup like I did when I was younger. I definitely spent a lot of time putting on my makeup when I was in high school and middle school. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve had less time.  so for me now, I think it’s more about having those key products that I know I love and that I can put on really quickly. Less about experimentation and more about the old faithful staples.
I don’t really have a beauty icon. For me it’s about taking my features and doing the best I can with them. I try not to look at somebody else and copy their makeup because what’s going to look good for one person doesn’t necessarily work for another person.

Designing jewelry and beauty is all part of the fantasy — playing dress-up and feeling confident in yourself. I think of jewelry as armor or protection and I feel like when women wear my jewelry they feel really bad ass, strong, and confident. I think that makeup serves the same function. They are both part of this fantasy of being whomever you imagined you want to be that day.

In my makeup bag I have:

Chanel Blush in Rose Bronze: I think it’s a really great color. I’ve been using it for years and it’s really flattering. I even put it on my eyes sometimes. It’s the perfect color for my skin and Chanel just makes such good products.

Stila Eyeliner in Tigers Eye: I have green eyes so I like a lot of these red, brown, purple-y colors that bring out green. This pencil is such a perfect one. It’s really soft, it goes on effortlessly, it smudges right, and it’s just really pretty. I’ve been wearing it religiously for a few years now.

MAC Eyeshadow in Embark: It’s another rusty, purple-y brown that’s really good for green eyes. It’s good for bringing out the color. I wear this eyeshadow day and night.

DiorShow Brown Mascara:For mascara, I never wear black, I always wear brown. I like long lashes but I want to imagine that they’re natural and I feel like if they’re brown, they are a little more natural. The DiorShow Brown is a really good one.

Korres Lip Gloss in Pomegranate: I really like these lip glosses from Korres. I have them in a bunch of colors but the color I have in my makeup bag right now is Pomegranate. They’re all sheer colors but my lips are always dry and they’re really great for moisture and for a bit of color.

Lancome in Lucky Kiss: I like a lot of lip colors that are nude, almost the color of your lips but they give a plumping effect. This one makes your lips looks really full and plump without really doing anything too crazy.

Brow Set (from MAC): I also really like eyebrow gel because I’m trying to grow my eyebrows out right now and they’re a nightmare. I was one of those girls who tweezed their eyebrows her whole life, growing up in south Florida where everyone’s eyebrows were a line. Trying to grow them back out so they look normal, I use this tinted eyebrow gel from MAC.

La Prairie Skin Caviar Moisturizer: It’s a great moisturizer that I discovered a couple years ago and I love it. It’s amazingly moisturizing.

Clarins Face Oil: When I don’t feel like using a moisturizer, I prefer using an oil. I don’t get crazy blemishes but I do get dry skin and so for that, sometimes you need the big guns. You can’t get away with a moisturizer, you actually need to put oil on your face.

Armani Foundation: I don’t really like foundation; my problem isn’t necessarily blemishes or anything, it’s dryness. Foundation doesn’t help with the dryness. Just putting a moisturizer and an oil helps with the dryness. If I were to go out and wear foundation, it’s Armani. It’s really good isn’t too heavy ; it makes for a flawless finish.

Joanna Vargas: I use a lot of products from Joanna Vargas. They’re really cleansing and they make your skin feel great. My favorite is the Rejuvenating Serum.

Sisley Lipstick in L25: I love red lipstick. It’s beautiful. It’s a really nice rich red.

Maybelline 14-Hour Lipstick in Ravishing Rouge: I like things to stay on for a really long time. This one is a bright matte red. I like a matte red sometimes. I wear red once in a blue moon because I think it’s very glamorous. There’s something very French about it and I almost feel like a different person. It changes your face and sometimes it’s nice to have a change.

I like nail polish a lot. I love Essie, I think they’re great. I also really like Deborah Lippmann. I love hot pink or a dark purple or a deep red.  I don’t get to paint my nails very often because I work with my hands so much, so when I paint my toes, I go crazy. The other day I had metallic silver, that almost looked like tin foil. It’s fun to be able to go crazy with that.

Covergirl Eye Brightening Shadow Palette in Vivid Green: I’m a fan of those eye brightening products that everyone has now. Every brand has an eyeshadow that’s good if you have green eyes or an eyeshadow that’s good if you have blue eyes. I wear this when I feel like wearing a smoky eye when I’m going out. I put a lot of the reddish brown around the eye and then fan it out with something lighter. Sometimes I’ll put a little of the Chanel blush on, to add to it.Korr

My makeup bag is a black bag from a drugstore. I always carry my makeup bag with me. I never know, when I leave for work, when I’m coming home, if I have to go somewhere. I’ve been like that my whole life — I always needed an extra big purse so I can carry all my makeup.” –Pamela Love

*Pamela Love is the founder and designer of the Pamela Love jewelry line; @pamelalovenyc

{from the archives}

KristinEssmakeupbag

Makeup Bag: The Beauty Department’s Kristin Ess

By | makeup bag | 4 Comments

“My first memory of playing with hair revolved around Barbie, of course. Typical 5 to 7-year-old phase of wanting to braid and chop that nylon hair. The first time I played with hair on a human was my own. I was watching Madonna’s “Material Girl” video and I went in and curled my bangs, feathered them like hers and then bumped the ends under. Nothing could stop me that day. I didn’t know how rare it was for a 7-year-old to curl and style her own hair until much later. I just knew I wanted that hair. Oh, and that dress with the big pink bow.

I got into the hair business early. It was my first job. Actually, it’s been my only job. I’ve never done anything else. I was 15 going on 16 when a nice man who was friends with my aunt gave me a job as an apprentice. I was able to go to school until noon, then work in the salon from 2-9pm. I would take three buses from the valley to Century City – really far – and do my homework on the way. I graduated from high school at 17, and then got my own chair at the salon. I lied to all my clients and told them I was 23 because no one was going to trust a kid to do their hair. I still have a lot of those clients and now we laugh about how I stayed 25 for 5 years.

My biggest professional accomplishment happened [when] Allure put me in their Best of the Best directory. It’s like winning an Oscar in the hair world. It’s an incredible honor because your name is next to some of the greatest talents that you could never imagine it being next to. I think I threw the magazine across the room when I read it because I was so shocked. Had to go out and buy another one right away!

Over the years, my makeup has changed a lot. I used to wear major liner and a red lip to work every day. That was fun but now every minute of my free time is taken up by The Beauty Department. My makeup is definitely more natural now, but I always keep my liners, lashes, and lip colors with me – as you see in my bag – for going out.

I’m not a huge follower of trends. I like a bronzy, dewy, glowy look for the day-to-day. It’s my go-to thing and I can do it in exactly 11 minutes. I love to talk beauty trends, obviously, and I love to try them, but it never really becomes part of my signature look. I pair that makeup with my flaming red wavy hair and I feel like a mermaid every day!

My job as a blogger doesn’t affect my makeup preferences but it does introduce me to many things I wouldn’t have picked up on my own. Obviously one of the big perks of being a blogger is having stuff arrive in boxes at the office. Sometimes I stumble upon something I wouldn’t have purchased that quickly becomes a staple on my vanity. I love getting things from new brands, too. Helping a company get off the ground is so satisfying if the product is great. Even if it’s just a little boost. It’s fun to support the small guys, too.

I pick up incredible tips from makeup artists on set. In fact, one of my closest friends, Lottie, is a makeup artist. That girl has some kind of special God-given gift when it comes skin and makeup. She taught me her secret and then told me if I ever tell, she would kill me. I take that very seriously. She was also the one who taught me to do my eyeliner with my eyes open, looking straight into a mirror. It’s one of those no-brainers that we seem to forget. I always tilted my head back to start but she told me to try just looking straight ahead. I made my first perfect pair of swoops that day. Then you tilt your head back to finish the rest. Such a great tip.

My makeup bag is from Zara. The label said it was a clutch, but all I saw was a very glamorous makeup bag.

Shu Uemura Face Architect Illuminating Moisturizing Foundation – I found this at Shu in Paris on my last trip. The most glowing, moisturizing foundation I have ever experienced.

Tom Ford Beauty Bronzing Powder in Terra – This was an impulse buy while I was at the Tom Ford counter. I’m SO pale; needed a little boost on the bronze. I’ve now been using it for a year and a half.

Sephora + Pantone Makeup Brushes – I saw these in the window of Sephora while strolling around Miami. Had to get them because that green is so on point! It’s such a happy green.

Random Lashes from Koreatown – I always go to Koreatown in Los Angeles. I buy short lashes in full strips instead of long lashes. I use these to fill and thicken at the base of my lashes. My own are plenty long, I just want them to appear more dense and these work so well.

Bare Minerals Ready Translucent Touch Up Veil SPF 15 – This is one of those powders that’s perfectly mattifying and completely weightless. I have found that some translucent powders are too white, but this one is completely transparent. I also like that it comes in a compact instead of loose powder form.

Bare Minerals Loud + Clear Tinted Lip Balm in Amped Pink, Remix Berry, and Tangerine Trance – These were in my gift bag when I spoke at IFC in New York. They quickly became my new favorite tinted lip balm. The texture reminds me of those thin tubes I got as a teenager called Soft Lips. I’m obsessed because it gives just the right amount of stain.

Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara in Black – I got this in the same IFC gift bag as well. I will never go back to my old mascara! This one is like a liner and a mascara in one tube. The brush is so amazing and really gets into the base of your lashes making them look SO thick and not in a chunky way.

Essie Twin Sweater Set + Seche Vite – Taking it classic this fall with this perfect red shade from Essie, and I always have to put a coat of Seche Vite over my nails.

Stila In The Light Eyeshadow Palette – I bought this a year ago and I can officially say that there’s nothing you can’t do with this palette. Whether I’m going into the salon to work or on a hot date, I can rely on it to get my eye makeup just right. And I love having just ONE for everything!

Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes in Matte Brown – I’ve had a hard time finding a liner that won’t run off my waterline. Finally, I found it. I use it in brown because it just looks better and softer than black for me and my complexion.

BeautyCounter Rosewater Uplifting Spray – It’s so simple and so clean with zero bad ingredients. The beautiful packaging caught my attention but the amazing product inside kept me coming back. I love using it to set my makeup. I don’t like when my makeup looks overly-fresh, so once I’m done I use one spritz over the top of everything. Magical.

RMS Beauty “Un” Cover Up – This concealer changed my game. It’s coconut based and so dreamy! I have some redness and need to cover it but every single concealer I used in the past irritated my skin. But this stuff feels like heaven and makes my skin look bright and happy. If I was going to lunch with a friend, I could use just this with no foundation. It’s that good.”

— Kristin Ess, celebrity hairstylist and co-founder of The Beauty Department

byrdie_bell_makeup_bag

Makeup Bag: Odd Mom Out’s Byrdie Bell

By | makeup bag | 6 Comments

“The first time I remember playing with makeup was probably when I was 5 or 6. We were in Chicago and my Mom had this really pretty deco dressing room and I think it was more just to be closer to my Mom when she was getting ready to go out – just more fidgeting and then realizing, “Oh my gosh, all this stuff is so pretty, it’s like candy, I want to eat it.”  Playing with makeup was like playing with toys and I think I was immediately attracted to all of the colors and the various packaging. I didn’t really realize what makeup could do until I was in middle school and I got my first pimple and my Mom showed me what concealer was. We went to MAC and picked out the right color for me and it was really cool. I felt very grown up.

I guess I can say I started modeling young. My first show was for charity in Chicago when I was in first grade and I hated it.  By the time I started professionally modeling -it was later in life for me, like 21 – I think that by this point I was sort of done experimenting with makeup and all that kind of stuff. The experimentation period happened for me more in high school and, by the time I started modeling, it did feel more like work; but I still love seeing just how transformative makeup can be. As far as taking care of my own skin, because it’s put through hell when I’m one set, I’m sort of obsessive about not wearing any makeup and not washing my hair, just to counteract it. If I’m being honest, when I’m not working, wearing makeup has a tendency to feel like work.

My favorite is mascara and I like blush. For some reason, I really like pink cheeks. Lipstick is difficult for me, it’s hard to put on myself. But really, I have a lot of fun with contouring, like playing with bronzer and cheeks and shadows. And then mascara. But I don’t really like to black out my eyes with a lot of eyeliner so I try to avoid eyeliner. I used to really like wearing red lipstick and not wearing any eye makeup, and then a makeup artist not-so-discreetly – yet very politely – told me that maybe I should try to focus more on playing up my eyes and less on my lips. Maybe it is too harsh or aging? I’m not really sure, but I decided to listen to her.

Claudia Schiffer would have to be my beauty icon. I think there is something indefinable about her beauty. She’s able to be delicate, feminine, and ethereal, while maintaining a strong and imperfect sophistication. Claudia is also startling ageless.

MAKEUP BAG

Lumene Excellent Future Deep Repairing Serum: I found their products in North America 3 years ago. They’re a Finnish company and huge overseas so I’d known about them for years but didn’t have access to the products unless I was abroad. I’m hugely excited they’ve started carrying their products over here. My love affair started with the cleansing wipes. I thought, “These are really amazing and fresh and I like the packaging.” I bought a toner and when we made contact, I was like, “this is amazing!” I really wanted to work with them. They use all natural Arctic ingredients. I really love this serum with super rare stem cell technology.

Lumene Excellent Future Deep Repairing Eye Cream: It’s not too heavy. It doesn’t tighten my eyes. It’s really delicate, I can use it on my eyelid as well as around the eye. I use both this and the serum morning and night. The only thing I add differently in the morning is sunscreen Lumene Excellent Future Deep Repairing Face Cream at night.

Lumene Sensitive Touch Cleansing Wipes: They come in 10 pieces, which is like the small mini packs that fit in my makeup bag and then the large ones that you can keep on your counter. Those are really nice. I like to have these on me at all times so that as soon as I finish a shoot, I can wipe all of the makeup off. I wash my face morning and night, I try not to wash my face more than that because it dries out my skin. So this is a nice way to remove the makeup without the harsh effects of soap and water.

HD High Definition Elixir from Make Up For Ever: This is one of my favorites. I don’t know if you would call it makeup but you get it in the makeup section. It’s kind of the same consistency as the serum but you put it on over your makeup. So, if I have an audition or something where I have to have a little bit of makeup on so I don’t look dead, I like to put this on top of my makeup because it takes away that sort of matte look. I have really dry skin, so it’ll make it a little more dewy and glowy, which is what I prefer for skin — as opposed to matte. You know how your skin looks really amazing right after you put moisturizer on and then it’s gone? This maintains that dewiness throughout the day.

Lancome High Definition Finishing Mascara in Deep Black: If I could only use one makeup product, it would be mascara. My favorite at the moment is the Lancome High Definition Finishing Mascara in Deep Black. The reason why I like it is because it has a really long, thin wand, so it doesn’t get clumpy. I can use it on my lower lashes, which is where I like to wear mascara because I don’t wear eyeliner. And then if I want to have a darker, bolder eye at night, I can layer it.

DiorShow Maximizer Lash Plumping Serum:  If I have time, I will put this on before my mascara to make the lash fuller, so again, this helps to take away that clumpy look. The concept is the same as one of those lip plumping products, but for your eyelashes. It’s kind of clear white and just builds a fake architecture that extends the eyelash before you put on mascara.

Bourjois Blush in Rose: I like it mainly because it’s a good blush and because of the packaging. It’s really small, perfect, and there’s a little brush that fits right on top of the little pot. Trick to share when applying blush: Smile really big so that you apply the blush directly on to the apples of the cheeks. And only on to the apples of the cheeks because it makes it look more natural.

NARS Triple X Lip Gloss in Clear: I like to keep my lips natural, so I don’t actually use this to make my lips look glossy, I just put a dab in the center of my upper and lower lip and that gives the effect of a bigger lip. I learned this trick from a makeup artist on one of my shoots. It really does work!

Stella McCartney Eau de Parfum Travel Spray: That’s my perfume and the travel size fits in my makeup bag. I’ve been wearing this since high school, though I switched it up twice in between, to Ralph Lauren Blue and Chanel Coco. I think one of the reasons that I like it so much is because it’s so difficult to describe. It’s really unique. It’s not too fruity, it’s not floral, it’s not musky. I would say it’s really modern and moody.”

-Actress Byrdie Bell of Bravo’s Odd Mom Out

photo copy

Makeup Bag: Designer Minnie Mortimer

By | makeup bag | 9 Comments

“My first experience with makeup came much later than most of my friends. I was a tom-boy and just wasn’t very interested in it, in spite of the fact that my mother who is very feminine, was. I would describe my early experiences as “dabbling.” When I was in 6th or 7th grade, I went through a lip liner phase. I wore dark liner and sheer light-colored lipstick. What can I say?…it was the 90s! Then when I turned 16 or 17, I discovered the power of mascara. At the time I attended boarding school in New England, and mascara and lip-gloss were considered racy!

Now, makeup and skincare play a daily role in my life. For a base I love Laura Mercier’s Tinted Moisturizer with SPF for lightweight coverage. Something like that is just so easy to apply, and will even out my skin perfectly. And, using tinted moisturizer helps me remember to wear SPF. This is something I really wish I had started earlier, but I’m such a beach bunny at heart. I love the sun and I love to surf, and I never used much sunblock growing up. Since I live in LA and it’s always sunny here, I’ve had to adapt, but until recently it was difficult for me to wear sunblock on a daily basis because most of them would feel so heavy and often made my skin breakout. Even if an SPF wasn’t oily, I sometimes felt like there was a layer of chalk on my face. Chanel’s Precision SPF 50 UV Essential feels more like a moisturizer than an SPF. It’s extra light and absorbs into my skin, instead of sitting on the surface. An added bonus, it has pretty packaging. I’m such a sucker for packaging!

As a designer, makeup plays a crucial role in what I do. Whether it’s for a look book shoot or a presentation, makeup can change the whole mood. For the spring look book, we did a very glossy pink lip, a peachy cheek, and very light eye makeup. The result is very fun, fresh and playful. You feel like the model would just skip off to the beach if she had her way. In fact, this is a look I definitely identify with: the LA girl with the messy, perfect/imperfect hair, sun-kissed skin and minimal makeup. It’s very soft, natural, and romantic, and works well when you’re running around outside in the sun. No one wants to wear heavy makeup when you’re outdoors so much. In contrast, New York girls seem to have a much more sophisticated and sharp approach to makeup – more color on the lips, stronger cheekbones, darker eyes etc. It’s very striking. As I’m getting older, I’m bolder with my makeup choices and find myself easing into the New York look. I continue to learn a lot through speaking to makeup artists about how to achieve certain looks, and then experimenting.

I have 2 makeup bags that I use most often. They are both Marc Jacobs – one small and one big. The smaller one is a daily go-to. It almost always lives in the bottom of my purse. This way I don’t have to spend hours rooting around for individual products. The bigger one is the makeup bag mother-ship. If I travel, I pack everything into it.

Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer with SPF – I wear this daily and I love this because my face doesn’t feel like it’s going to drip off at the end of the day.

Armani Luminous Silk Foundation – I use this when I want a little more coverage and/or if I know there will be pictures. There’s a cult around the foundation. It’s heavy but if I’m feeling self conscious about any kind of blotches on my skin, this sorts me right out. Due to the heaviness, I wouldn’t advise wearing it during the day, but I do love how it gives me that inner glow.

Charlotte Ronson 2 X A Charm – It’s a bronzer and blush duo. The bronzer has a little sparkle and the blush is pink-based. I use the bronzer underneath my cheekbone. The Armani foundation gives me the creaminess I need to blend with the cream bronzer.

Aquaphor Lips – This is always in my makeup bag because I don’t think lipstick goes on as well when they aren’t moisturized. Throughout the night I reapply as needed.

Stila Blush in Peony – I prefer cream blush to powder, as I don’t think they stay on very well. This one is a deep red and I put a dab on the apple of my cheeks and blend it in with my fingers. Even though it’s a dark red, it blends in and becomes just a tint. When I want more color, I layer on the rouge. I wear this all the time – day and night. Most days, and when I have meetings, I wear the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer, mascara, and this Stila Rouge.

Zitomer’s Barely Rouge – I only buy this in New York and it’s a gel. This is one of my favorite reds. It’s a blood red but when you rub and blend, it becomes more of a flushed cheek, which is what I like. Holly Dunlap had her own label awhile ago and I was in her show. Gucci (Westman) was the make-up artist for the show and one of her assistants did my makeup. Gucci didn’t like the way it was done, so she redid my makeup herself. She did a flushed cheek and told about how a flushed cheek makes you look really sexy and very alive.

MAC Sheer Color Extract in Bellyflop – This is a cream highlighter. I put it on the top of my cheekbone and on my brow bone. I find that creams stay on better than powders. They brush off and land on different parts on my face. It’s the same with eyeshadow.

Diorshow Unlimited Mascara in Black – I love this for day-time as it’s so light. It goes on evenly and doesn’t clump. I do two coats.

Diorshow Extase Mascara in Black – I wear this at night. It’s a little more dramatic. I love mascara on my bottom lashes too.

Tweezerman Eyelash Curler –  I curl my eyelashes after I apply mascara. Is that wrong? That’s how I’ve always done it.

Make Up For Ever Aqua Liner in Black – I go really deep into the corners of my eyes. A makeup artist once told me that people don’t go deep enough on the top. I start all the way at the inner corner and end at the crease of my eye – but it’s not a cat eye. I only do my top line, though I like how a bottom line looks. The only problem with that is, the liner just runs. When I apply, I trace over my lash line and I like this liner because it’s almost like a marker. Liquid liners take more work since you need time and practice to  perfect an even line. This liner is more user-friendly.

Charlotte Ronson Liquid Eyeshadow in Shiri – I generally don’t use eyeshadow, but I really like this one as it’s not powder. It’s an olive-y gold color. I put on a swish on my lid and while it’s still wet, I smudge it all over my eye lid, with more color towards the outer corners. Afterwards I put on eyeliner.

Dior Brow Brush – One end is a little brow brush and the other end is a crayon. It’s a brunette color. I fill them in using feather strokes and then I brush them out. I like a really full brow. I think a full brow makes me look younger and healthier. When I have too thin a brow, I think my nose looks really big. At one point, I was over-plucking them and it took a year for my brows to fill out. So now, they’re full again.

CoverGirl Professional Natural Lash Mascara in Clear – I don’t use a brow gel. Instead I use this clear mascara over my brows after I’ve filled them in. It’s the one with the green top – very old-school. Back when I was still scared to wear makeup, so I would wear this instead of mascara.

Benefit Hoola Bronzer – This matches my skin tone during the summer. I put the bronzer all over my face, but mainly focus on my cheeks and chin as this is where the sun would normally hit you.

Sometimes I wear fake lashes, just the quarters at the end of the lash. I don’t have a particular brand of lash that I am loyal to but I do love the Duo Eyelash Adhesive. This lash glue is really easy to use and unlike most others, it doesn’t dry super fast so you have time to wiggle your lashes into the perfect position.

I usually wear glosses but when I do wear lipstick, I love NARS Heat Wave and NARS Schiap. The NARS Schiap is a bright matte pink and Heat Wave is an orange-based matte red, which I love. A bright lipstick can really change your whole attitude and mood, and I especially love to wear them if I’m dressed down in something a bit plain, like jeans and a white t-shirt.

Charlotte Ronson ‘Minnie’ Lipgloss – Charlotte made this color for me…therefore it’s going to be great. Just Kidding! But it is. It’s a gloss on one end and a lipstick on the other. It’s a maroon-y color, that’s just a shade darker than my natural lip color. It’s sheer and perfect for day or night. I love all of Charlotte’s glosses – they are heavy, not sticky so they don’t get caught in my hair.”

– Designer Minnie Mortimer

stephanie_lacava_makeup_bag

Makeup Bag: Stephanie LaCava

By | makeup bag | 5 Comments

“In terms of beauty, I’m not so into super polished looks. I like something a little natural, a bit wild, and quirky. That kind of look works with me as well, because I have red hair and my teeth are a little funny. I like that about other people, like Vanessa Paradis and Jane Birkin. I also love classic beauty — Isabelle Adjani, to me, is the classic ideal of beauty, especially in the movie, Le Reine Margot. She looks perfect with her lips, her pale skin, and I think her entire look is just so beautiful. I like strong aloof French women. Growing up when I lived in France, I was always fascinated by the women who looked like they had just done something and yet looked so beautiful. Not like they couldn’t move or they had to keep a straight face or their face would crack. I also think older women are super beautiful.

My Mom never really wore that much makeup except for mascara, and I’m kind of the same. As kids, we both had these super big eyes and she also has the most insane green eyes. I distinctly remember my Mom going to bed every night with her makeup on and never washing her face, which you read when you were little never to do but I sometimes do the same thing now. I think it’s funny because I remember she told me that you can’t always do that but she also has the most amazing skin, so it didn’t seem to matter. She never really wore anything else. Never foundation because she was anti-foundation. I don’t wear foundation either but because I’m super pale, I wear Cle de Peau Concealer under my eyes.

I write about beauty sometimes in my articles, such as what’s going on backstage, which I think is really interesting. Oftentimes, the looks aren’t exactly what we consider classically beautiful, but rather what works with the design and the statement you’re trying to make. I’m still super obsessed with when Pat McGrath did those half sequins on the eye for Givenchy. When I was little, I would do something like that. We would get confetti and clear nail polish and stick them on our face. I still like to do that sometimes. I think it’s fun, quirky, and different. Beauty is a personal style. The cliche example is a red lipstick or it can be a feature or product that you associate with. For me and my family it’s our long eyelashes. My brother used to cut his but since I turned out to be a red head, mine are pale and I have to wear mascara. I always make fun of him because his are really dark, but mine don’t show up. I look like I have no eyelashes unless I wear mascara. It’s kind of fun because in a way, it also shows genetics, which is kind of nice because you realize that you share that of your mother’s.

This is a Provencal cloth bag from the south of France. All of my toiletry bags are the same print.

I have Neutrogena Oil Free Sunblock SPF 30. I wear it every single day, even when it rains which is why I’m this hideous pasty white color, but one day it will be beneficial. That is the most important product.

Clinique 101 Teddy Bear is a quad of brown eyeshadows and a little bit of white. I like the brown on the lid and I always, always try to get that look that I see on girls who have a little pink on their lids. I don’t think I have the right skin tone for it, though.

I also use lip gloss on my eye lids. I have the Sephora Totally Lucid shiny version. You can use a Lancome Juicy Tube [try Shimmer] too. I put a it right under the arch of my eyebrow and on the outer corner of my eye, as if I were crying or there’s a little tear when you catch the light. I don’t know why but I love it.

On my lips I always use the Perlier White Almond Lip Balm, which is really nice. No matter what lipstick you wear, your lips need a good moisturizer. I like the scent.

I always wear Diptyque L’Ombre dans l’Eau and I have this little travel one. It’s funny because I’ll be somewhere and someone will tell me they’ve smelled me before they see me because they know it’s my scent. For some reason I don’t smell it anymore but everyone always smells it on me when I kiss hello.

I think bows are so fun and I got I got this  this little girl ribbon in Marie-Chantal in London. I love that store. I use it to put my hair back or when I’m putting makeup on, it’s nice to have something pretty to wear and then take out. For me, part of putting on makeup is about the process; That’s another thing about beauty with my Mom. It was always about the vanity. I had a huge round vanity I inherited from my Mom. It had the huge mirror that you would sit at to put your makeup on and so to me, it was always about that. Even if I had no makeup, I would pretend. It’s about going through the motions and all the little things associated with it.

I always have a lollipop. This is one of my favorite lollipops, Lemon Meringue by Linda’s Lollies.

Bourjois Khol and Contour 16 Hour Eyeliner. I used to wear this when I was little and we would get it at the grocery store in France. I like to get it when I visit. I’ll either do a severe French actress eye or I’ll wear just mascara, though I never put mascara on the bottom lashes, but I’ll use this eyeliner along the bottom edge in between the eyelashes because I think it helps with definition.

Then I use the YSL Touche Eclat underneath my brow bone and on the inner corners of my eye. The gloss is for the outer corner and both are to help with eye definition. Then the Cle de Peau Concealer in the palest color imaginable is for under my eye. That’s about it. I spread it around and blend it in with my finger, wherever it’s needed. I use it like a foundation in places and dust a little loose powder to set it. I’m not very high maintenance.

Definicil Mascara by Lancome is my go-to, be all, end all with a Shu Uemura eyelash curler. I do my lashes in a very particular way. Someone taught me once to move my mascara wand from left to right and then circle it up as you do it. Shimmy your hand left to right and circle it up to keep the curl. I do multiple layers on the outer corner of my eye, way more than on the rest of the eye lid, which I don’t think that many people do. It’s the batty eye look that makes you look like you have wider lashes. I always curl my eyelashes and I always wear mascara. That was the first makeup I ever wore.

I use Anastasia Perfect Brow Pencil in Soft Brown to pencil in my eyebrow. Having manicured brows are the most important thing.

Sometimes I’ll wear the NARS Cruella Velvet Matte or Lady Danger by MAC, which looks a little funny with red hair but I like it, depending on what I’m wearing. Or I will do a clear gloss. I’m really not a lipstick person. I like to keep my lips neutral because I wear a lot of mascara. It’s a nice balance.

I don’t always carry my makeup bag with me because sometimes I just put things in my pocket and I don’t even carry a purse.”

— Stephanie LaCava, writer; @stephanielacava

caroline_makeup_bag

Makeup Bag: Purple Fashion Magazine’s Caroline Gaimari

By | makeup bag | 2 Comments

“I’ve been living in France for 10 over ten years, working at Purple Fashion magazine for almost nine. I am the fashion director of the magazine and the director of the company. I travel all the time for work, working as a fashion stylist on photo shoots, conducting interviews of celebrities, musicians, and artists for the magazine, working on special projects with fashion brands, and organizing events.

I live between Paris and New York, but I tend to go more for French products. It’s not news that French pharmacies are the best place for beauty. Duane Reade already caught on to this and has a whole mini French pharmacy in their Union Square store. I’m not really a person that wears a lot of make up, but I’m definitely a person who likes skincare. My ideal look is long, clean, black lashes and a matte red lip.

Since I am literally always traveling, my skincare bag is a cabinet of curiosities. I really just throw all sorts of new travel-size things to try in there.

My bag is by Cath Kitson and I bought it on a shopping spree in Tokyo. My makeup bag is from the Chanel coco cocoon line.

Bioderma Crealine H20 – A French secret is to never get the skin on your face wet. American women seem to think that lather (lauryl sulfates) equals clean, this is a marketing ploy! Miscellaire solution is a way more gentle, effective way to clean your skin without overdoing it and causing aging damage. But if you’re absolutely hooked on washing your face with water, the best thing to use is Avene Cleanance Gel soapless cleanser.

After cleansing with Bioderma, I use Phytomer Eau Marine Alcohol-Free Tonic Lotion to get my skin ready for moisturizers.

I use three serums a day. In the morning, The Radiant Serum by Creme de la Mer for the face and Verso Super Eye Care Serum for the eyes. I discovered this in the gift bag at the Rodebjer show this season. It burns a bit when you put it on but it zaps all the puffiness out of your eyes. If you only do one thing – besides not getting your face wet! – it should be to use a night recovery serum. You wake up with baby skin. I either use Estée Lauder Night Repair Serum or Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Serum.

Ymalia Isotonic Day Cream – I was lucky enough to get this product for a shoot I was doing about winter beauty, and now I am hooked! You basically can’t even buy the cream unless you are invited to. It is really rich, and it’s the only cream I’ve found that keeps my face hydrated all day.

La Roche-Posay makes hands-down the best suncare products in the world. Whenever I’m in the sun and the water, I protect my hair with Nuxe Huile Prodigeuse Dry Oil and I use La Roche-Posay Anthelios Ultra Light Sunscreen Lotion Spray on my body.

I went to Japan last year for a shoot with the make up artist Maki Ryoke, and she brought me to one of those beauty mega stores and showed me the best mascaras. The Japanese are all about the eyes (and skin!) so she recommended I get these conditioning black mascaras, that I am now totally addicted to – Little Witch Mote Mascara. They don’t give you spidery, thick lashes, but more clean, long lashes.

Another great thing I picked up in Japan were these huge bottles of [Shiseido] Tsubaki shampoo and conditioner. I first used these at an onsen in Hakone, a town with natural sulfur springs about an hour train ride from Tokyo. My dear friend Kazumi, the editor-in-chief of Libertine Dune, the coolest magazine in Japan, taught me all about onsen, the rituals, and the rules. Onsen are Japanese public baths and you go in fully naked. You aren’t allowed in if you have any tattoos because, culturally, they are considered to be linked to gangs. You have to shower and scrub first, and then there are several different pools of different temperatures and varying degrees of sulfur and minerals. You leave with super soft skin, shiny hair, and totally clear pores.

Another important part of my beauty routine is the hammam, which I learned about on my frequent trips to Morocco. In a steamy room – the hammam – you get lathered with black soap, which is made from olive oil, and then scrubbed until you just can’t take it anymore. You leave with shiny, fresh skin, which is ready to absorb all the nutritive and moisturizing effects of the local argan oil.

Whenever I am in Milan, I always stay at the Armani Hotel, which is right in the center of town, at the end of Montenapoleone, the major fashion street. I always stock up on the Armani shower gel from the bathroom, which smells amazing! It may be embarassing to take the amenities? But I just can’t help it there.

Mac Prolongwear Lipcolor in Lasting Lust is the number one beauty product that changed my life and totally changed my look. You can put it on at 6 PM and it won’t budge until the morning, no matter what you eat or drink or who you kiss! It’s the only long-lasting lipcolor that I’ve tried that doesn’t majorly dry out your lips or start to crack after a few hours. It seems to keep that powdery, matte feel the whole time.

OPI Nail Laquer in The Thrill of Brazil is my favorite red. It’s the only color I use, because I just love it so much! Also the OPI RapiDry Top Coat is a miracle-worker.”

– Caroline Gaimari, Purple Fashion magazine Fashion Director & Executive Editor

IMG_0130

Memorial Weekend Makeup Bag: Makeup Artist Jenn Streicher

By | makeup bag | 6 Comments

“In my summer makeup bag, I have:

Prtty Peaushun – Best body lotion ever. It gives a subtle glow while plant extracts lift, firm and tighten. What else could you want? I love the medium color, and on big event nights, I mix a little body foundation in with it to give a little extra flawless coverage.

Clarins UV Plus HP Day Screen High Protection SPF 40 – An everyday summer essential! Oil-free while still blocking UVA and UVB rays. Wear it alone or under makeup. I even keep one in my car for when the roof is down.

Couture Colour Pequi Oil Treatment– To banish my frizzy hair at the beach. Get unbeatable shine and keep your color. You can use this oil on wet or dry hair. I even use a little extra on my dry lips.

Clinique Age Defense BB Cream – My latest obsession. Similar to a tinted moisturizer, but optics instantly help reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles and it has an SPF of 30! You can wear it under foundation, but I wear it alone with a little bronzer over the top for summer.

Hourglass Superficial Waterproof Bronzer – A great natural bronze color and its oil-free and waterproof!! Crazy. Swim, sweat or dance your heart out and you’ll still be bronzed.

YSL Creme de Blush in Fuchsia Temptation– I love this hot pink color. A great pop of color on nicely bronzed summer skin. This velvety soft blush gives a luminous radiant finish while looking fresh and healthy. I apply it with a soft blush brush in a circular motion on the apples of my cheeks.

Hourglass Extreme Sheen Lipgloss in Nectar – A high shine formula with just the right amount of color. Keeps my lips moist without feathering. My favorite color is Nectar, its the prefect summer coral.

St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse – For when you can’t get to the beach, but need to look like you have!! St.Tropez is by-far my favorite self-tanning product. The color is golden (not orange) and it gives the most even, smooth tan. The spray is great (a super fine 360 spray), but I prefer the mousse. Tip: Buy the St. Tropez self tanning mitt to apply the mousse for the ultimate even tan without the look of dirty palms

Lancome Hypnose Waterproof Mascara – Who doesn’t want great looking lashes while at the beach? This formula is amazing! Long, full lashes and it never flakes or smudges

Clinique After Sun Rescue Balm – Its happened to all of us: Over exposure. When you come home a little too red, I reach for this after sun balm. It’s ultra moisturizing yet oil free and the aloe helps calm sun-exposed skin. You can use it on your face. I keep mine in the refrigerator for the ultimate chill down.

Clarins Extra-Firming Lip & Contour Gentle Exfoliator – For when your lips have had a little too much sun and become chapped and scaly. The sugar based exfoliator gently removes dead skin cells and plumps lips to look healthy and supple and immediately softens and nourishes them. It’s a must before rockin’ a matte lip and it’s a great product all year round.” (Editor’s Note: It seems that this product is discontinued – Try Fresh Sugar Lip Polish for the same benefits).

Jenn Streicher, celebrity makeup artist for the likes of Emily Blunt, Claire Danes, and Bar Rafaeli.

photo

Makeup Bag: Celebrity Makeup Artist Katey Denno

By | makeup bag | 18 Comments

“My first real intro to makeup started when I was 8. I was going to a friend’s house for sleep over party and out of the blue, my mom gave me a big ziplock bag of all sorts of products from the back of her makeup drawer. The ones that still stand out in my mind consist of a super shimmery grey eyeshadow, electric and pale frosty blue eye shadows, intensely pigmented peachy pink liquid cheek color, and an orange lipstick in a gold tube that I doubted she ever wore. I packed that ziplock full of tricks in my overnight bag and I was the hit of the party.

Soon thereafter it was my birthday and my mom invited her friend, who I vaguely remember was a makeup artist – maybe at a local department store counter – over to do makeup on all my friends. We still have the photos, and it was the first time I saw my blonde/red eyelashes with mascara – and I LOVED it. I couldn’t believe I had eyelashes like everyone else’s- dark and thick and framing the shape of my eye! That was the beginning of me begging to wear makeup, and my interest in all things beauty.

I got sidetracked for most of my early career-life, devoting my time to being a social worker – which couldn’t have been the furthest thing from the world of beauty or fashion- my own wardrobe not excluded. The one thing that I did insist upon was introducing ‘beauty days’ to my clients – particularly around special days like mothers’ day, or valentines’ day – where I’d either collect products to pamper them, or bring in makeup or hair artists to give on-site makeovers to the lovely ladies who came in to my office for help.

I had the most gorgeous clients – of every skin tone, hair type, and ethnic background. I remember there would be times when I was floored by the beauty of a mother and daughter from west Africa, both with amazing skin, draped in gorgeous fabrics of rich color, or the stunning Latina clients with deep dark eyes and features that women pay plastic surgeons to recreate on their own faces. I was also really lucky to work with a large transgender population, and in particular, male-to-female transgendered folks who frequently dressed as women. It was from those clients that I learned the fantastic transformative power of makeup, and I knew I wanted to make a switch to try my hand at the beauty industry full-time.

I didn’t know enough to be scared, so I marched into all the different agencies and eagerly told the agents who would speak to me that I was willing to work for cheap, and that I wasn’t a kid who would screw around on set – I was there to work! It all happened so quickly, and after assisting some of the best for about a year, the agency that I love – The Wall Group – offered to sign me as their first makeup artist on their brand new emerging talent board.

That was nearly 6 years ago, and I can’t believe how far I’ve come, and how much I love this industry. I began my career in social work helping women feel better, and I love that I still get to do just that, every single day. I’m extremely passionate about the burgeoning green beauty component, and love finding out about new products made with ingredients that are safe enough to eat.

This year I decided to leave NYC and spend awards season in LA, rather than flying back and forth. Plus, I hate the cold so it wasn’t a difficult decision. Award season is full of excitement for me. I love working with the beautiful and funny Isla Fisher, and got to switch up her look a lot for the Golden Globes (pictured) – and she loved it. Doing makeup on the gorgeous and talented actress, Amanda Seyfried, is always such a treat as well. I like doing all kinds of makeup, but what I like most, is making a face we’re all familiar with really dazzle on the red carpet. Nothing is better for me than when I hand my client the mirror after finishing creating her look and seeing her eyes widen and a smile spread across her face as she takes in her reflection.

My makeup bag is from Kahina Giving Beauty. They make fantastic products and give back so much to the Berber women in Morocco who make them. The products in my bag are simple but contains exactly what my staples are when doing a red carpet look.

Dr. Alkaitis Universal Mask: I carry the sample size in my purse just in case I travel and forget to bring the full size! This green mask is truly therapeutic – it soothes, nourishes, and calms my skin when it’s inflamed or broken out. The key is to keep it damp while it’s on your face – spritzing with water or hanging out in the shower, letting the steam keep it damp.

Vered Organic Botanicals Balancing Face Oil: It’s an herb infused oil that contains anti inflammatory and anti bacterial components. My skin is so sensitive, and I love that this one never irritates it and I think, calms my breakouts. I use it day and night, and I’m never stingy with application. I only use oils on my clients, too which I know is why they always glow on the red carpet.

Shu Uemera Eyelash Curler: Simply the best. Change the pad every 6 months, and get a new one every year, if you use it daily. Clamp it as close to the roots as you possibly can and your eye will instantly open. Every actress I work with knows I’ll be curling the hell out of her lashes.

Cover Girl Lash Blast Mascara Very Black: I’m obsessed with lashes. This is my favorite, despite it not being a ‘green’ beauty product. I don’t care – it does the job and gives long, thick, lush lashes that stay all day- and I use, like, 10 coats.

Kjaer Weis Lip Tint in “goddess”: I love this deep rich color, and that it’s sheer while still well pigmented. I love to use it on my cheeks, too! It looks awesome on so many skin tones, as well, and the color is totally buildable.

Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Sweet Violet: this is my go-to for every day, all day. I have a zillion of them. It’s 100% natural and such an awesome color. It’s also what I like to give my clients for the after party when I know they’re not going to be interested in keeping up their precise lipstick look that I created for them. This is easy, moisturizing, and full of color, and there are a number of other colors, so I can pick the one that matches each client best.

Zoe Organics 100% Organic Everything Balm: I use this delicious little stick on everything – scrapes, rashes, bites, rough cuticles- you name it. I have one in my work makeup kit and use it all the time when I want to moisturize shoulders and upper arms, but can’t risk getting any oils from lotion or cream into the hair (or the hairdresser will kill me!)

Ilia Beauty Balmy Days Lip Balm: When I don’t feel like having any color on my lips, this is my favorite. It’s full of coconut oil and feels delicious. I give them out to clients to use at night leading up to red carpet events because they’re so penetrating and rich – they get a pout ready!

Tata Harper Aromatic Stress Treatment Roll-On Oil: I keep this with me at all times, both to bring immediate relaxation to myself and my clients. I always roll some on my wrists before I start a makeup application so my client can enjoy the effects of aromatherapy – particularly before stepping out onto the red carpet. They generally ask to have some put on their wrists before leaving the house, too!

The pretty little open shell on the right of the photo is another scent that I love from a really cool company started by a woman who’s a trained herbalist – and a doula! – and she makes everything she sells. This one is freakin’ delicious: rose, franinscense and patchouli – but not *that* kind of patchouli. It’s warm and earthy and rich and makes men go nuts in the best way when they smell it!

Celsus Bio Intelligence Scar Cream: My friend Spirit, of the best ever green beauty product website: spiritbeautylounge.com, gave this to me to try when I told her I’d gotten a bad burn on my finger. It’s full of healing ingredients and is all natural… and it worked! I keep it on me just in case anyone ever gets hurt.” — Celebrity Makeup Artist Katey Denno

photo

Makeup Bag: Celebrity Colorist Marie Robinson

By | makeup bag | No Comments

“Like most hairdressers, I’m a little artistic. I love color and often painted and sketched while growing up. My grandmother recognized I was always playing with hairstyles on myself and friends and that I might be happier in a more artistic field and suggested I try hair. My first salon job was at Pierre Michel as an assistant where I worked and studied to do hair color with the likes of Danilo. They put me on the floor and I began building a small clientele. From there I went to John Frieda where I began to build a large clientele and celebrities. Then Bumble and Bumble and Sally Hershberger before developing a partnership with hairdresser Abell and opening a salon of my own.

I feel very lucky to be in an industry that makes women and men feel good about their appearance. We all have something about ourselves we don’t love or maybe not appreciate. Make-up can transform anyone but I mostly love it to show my own moods. I like more natural looking make-up daily as my hair color is already a statement. I feel prettiest with pink blush on and a bright pink lip. There’s something about rosy cheeks that I think compliments everyone and makes them look healthy even if they’re feeling under the weather.

Lipstick is usually hot pink NARS Schiap or a red coral color from By-Poppy Lipstick Queen called Medieval. My NARS Shiap lipstick was a color I bought at Jeffrey’s in Meatpacking. I was just on hunt to find another bright pink to replace my MAC Moxy that had been discontinued. Poppy, who owns My-Poppy, is a long time client of my salon colorist, Bryan. She will bring little treats for the girls at the salon to try new colors. I never was a fan of reds until I tried hers. The tones are beautifully balanced that I think anyone who thinks they can’t red, could wear one of hers. I love hot pink or red lipstick contrast with my hair color as it’s really colorless. It makes everything look perky and more put together, especially when I wear more casual clothes such as a white T-shirt and jeans.

My favorite must-have is RMS Beauty. It’s a natural cream organic line from make-up artist Rose-Marie Swift. I originally met Rose-Marie Swift through a hairdresser friend. She is a make-up artist that works regularly with Gisele, Adriana Lima and many other Victoria’s Secret models. She had sensitivity issues with beauty products as her clients and I do and wanted to find a more naturally derived make-up. I bought her products several years ago and have been a loyal user ever since. I have a lot of sensitivity to make-up and moisturizers so the least ingredients or more natural the better for my skin. I use RMS “Un” Cover-Up for blemishes, RMS Living Luminizer for eyelids and cheek bones to highlight and RMS Lip2Cheek in Smile for blush. One trick I love is with the RMS Living Luminizer. Rose Marie told me to dab a little on the top of my lip and at bottom lip after my lipstick application to make them look more plump. You can also add to upper cheek bones and under brows to create lift to facial structure.

Mascara is always the drugstore brands. I love L’Oreal Double Extend for big goop-ie eye lashes. When I’m feeling frisky I use black eye liner, I love Maybelline Master Drama in Midnight Master. It’s SO Black. When I decide to wear black eyeliner its because I want my eye color to pop a bit more, as they are hazel in color. I usually do that for drama if I’m going out for the night with lots of mascara. I usually pick this for evening make-up so I don’t have deal with my wearing off pink or red lips at dinner or drinks.

I love my hair messy and undone so I rarely comb it and usually tie it back. I won’t add styling products to it unless its for shine such as ColoristCure treatment because I lose body easily. One hair item always found in my make-up bag is a Goody hair band.”

–Marie Robinson of the Marie Robinson Salon  @mariesalon. Marie’s extensive celebrity clients include Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Connelly, Emma Stone and Michelle Williams.