Looking Back: Met Ball 2013

landing page

Looking Back: Met Ball 2013

Tonight’s Met Ball is sure to be entertaining – with gorgeous gowns, flawless makeup and updo’s aplenty. But first, let’s take a look back at last year’s punk-themed celebration.

Here are the 5 trends we loved (and loathed) of The Met Ball 2013:

BRAIDS
Braids were everywhere: from SJP’s intricate fishtail to Miranda Kerr and Cara Delevingne’s punk glam side part and loose french braids. Let’s not forget the braided updos like Jessica Alba and Emily Blunt. Are braids punk? Apparently.

BRAIDS

DARK LIPS
A red-almost blackish lip is most definitely a sign of the rocker times. Women who wore it well (and a few that put a modern twist on the death-like pout): Rooney Mara, Minka Kelley and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley. Get Rosie’s look from tarte makeup artist Monika Blunder. Monika created a custom burgundy shade for Rosie by layering two colors. First, she filled in Rosie’s lips with LipSurgence lip tint in Moody (a deep berry) and then went over it with glamazon pure performance 12-hour lipstick in wild, (a vivid red) to create a long-lasting, edgy hue.

DARK LIPS

HEADPIECES
Nobody embodied punk in quite the same fashion as Sarah Jessica Parker. She KILLED it, in special part due to that amazing Phillip Treacy mohawk headpiece. Celebrity hairstylist Jen Atkin added a jeweled Jennifer Behr headband (like this Swarovski encrusted one here) to Minka Kelly’s braided mastery. And let us not forget about Sienna Miller’s exaggerated side part and awesome studded headpiece (which looks a lot like Eddie Borgo – get your punk on with this Eddie Borgo studded bracelet!).

HEADPIECES

DARK EYES
Ah, the eyes. Punk was about graphic lines and lots of black. Karolina Kurkova and Cara Delevingne stayed true to this punk look while other, like Ginnifer Goodwin, Jessica Pare and January Jones went completely (and tragically) overboard.

DARK EYES - YAY

dark eyes nay

PINK
Adding a punch of neon pink seemed to be a trend of the evening. From Diane Kruger’s textured pony and pink ends to Emily Blunts bold fuschia-lined eyes. Even Gwyneth played with pink, donning the color’s bold hue from head to toe, thanks to Valentino. Get Emily’s eyes by recreating celebrity makeup artist Jenn Streicher’s creative steps: Use NARS Jardin des Plantes Satin Lip Pencil and Desire Powder Blush on lids.

PINK

  • Jenny

    So many people didn’t actually do punk. Such a shame. But the few that did were great! Sara Jess Parker and Madonna were my favorites.

  • Pingback: Cocktail Hour Link Love 05.07: Villain Shoes + Met Ball Beauty - HauteTalk.com()

  • I absolutely love your blog and find most of your post’s to
    be just what I’m looking for. Does one offer guest writers to write content in your case?
    I wouldn’t mind writing a post or elaborating on some of
    the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome website!

  • I just could not leave your web site prior to suggesting that I extremely enjoyed
    the standard information an individual supply to your guests?
    Is gonna be back frequently to inspect new posts

  • gps navigation system best buy

  • At seven cubic feet, you can fit a substantial load of wet laundry
    inside, speeding the process. Believe it or otherwise, this can be one example
    with the many simple machines used in each and every day life to create work easier.

    Most camera shake, being vertical, is thus eliminated a
    single smooth, easy motion. While there are numerous manufacturers offered, Stone – Age is one of
    the best brands around.

  • Thanks for sharing your thoughts about celebrity looks.

    Regards