Although filled with fun, summer can be a bit anxiety inducing. No matter how many spin or pilates classes you’ve been taking, parading around in barely-there dresses, short shorts, and teeny tiny bikinis can make anyone feel a bit faint. Lucky for us, there are plenty of products to keep your bod looking tight, smooth, and basically flawless. Without further adieu:
Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Glotion for Body ($38): Imparts the slightest hint of color while simultaneously exfoliating and firming. You won’t want to show your legs without it.
illuminage Skin Rejuvenating Socks ($35): Calluses are far from cute. These socks replenish rough feet, all while you sleep. Genius.
Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Body Intensive Exfoliating Treatment ($65): Major exfoliation is key to keeping your skin smooth. No one wants to see rough patches, ladies!
Vita Liberata pHenomenal 2-3 Week Tan Mousse ($54): For a bit more color, this product applies easily and actually lasts.
Sol De Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Cream ($45): Just try and use this firming cream without singing bum diddi bum bum!
Dermadoctor KP Duty AHA Moisturizing Therapy ($38) Keratosis Pilaris can really cramp a girl’s tank-top flow. This lotion clears that situation right up.
Clarins Stretch Mark Minimizer ($54): While impossible to cure hereditary stretch marks, this lotion definitely makes them less noticeable.
Oui Shave Charlotte Razor and Neroli Oil ($60): The closest, smoothest, and most luxurious shave a gal can dream of. Your legs will thank you.
Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com
Now that your skincare routine is ready for summer, it’s time to think about your makeup. Warmer weather calls for a very different look than the colder months. Gone are the days of heavy formulas and bolder looks, replaced instead by glowy multi-taskers and punchy summer colors. Here are the best new makeup launches to achieve that, and stat.
Super moisturizing but far from greasy, Nudestix Gel Color Lip + Cheek Balm ($24) gives a glossy look without any stickiness.
Overfilled brows can look rather overdone in the summertime. Instead, try a tinted brow gel like this one: Nuance Salma Hayek Natural Definition Tinted Brow Gel ($10).
Of course we know you would never actually bake in the sun to achieve that coveted golden hue, but rather rely on products like Nars Laguna Liquid Bronzer ($40) for some color. This new iteration of their cult Laguna powder bronzer can easily be mixed with your favorite makeup for an all-over sun-kissed appearance.
To compliment your faux-tan, try Pat McGrath Labs Skin Fetish 003 ($75), a trifecta of fabulous highlighting products. This makeup-powerhouse knows her stuff in a major way, so you can trust her products to give you serious glow.
A fully made-up eye can melt off in the summer heat, so rely on a product like Yves Saint Laurent Mascara Vinyl Couture ($29) to give your peepers a pop of color. We’re especially into the purple and blue shades for the season.
Heading on vacation? Pack Wander Beauty Wanderout Dual Lipsticks ($30), which includes a shade for daytime on one end and nighttime on the other. Don’t waste any precious space in that toiletry kit!
Oil-free and weightless, Hourglass Ambient Light Correcting Primer ($44) preps skin for whatever step you can dream up of next. It’s so effective at brightening and correcting that it can even be worn on its own.
Of course we love a good glow, but that can quickly translate into shiny when you’re sweating during high temps. Chris Chang for MAX Prep+Prime Transparent Finishing Powder ($29) keeps your makeup in place and oil at bay, but in the least chalky way possible.
What are you purchasing for summertime makeup? Let us know in the comments below!
-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com
Skincare needs in the warmer weather are certainly different, and cosmetic companies seem to magically hear our woes. Come summertime, the amount of product launches specifically addressing our concerns pop up faster than rosé. Although our wallets may not appreciate it, we’re certainly not complaining. Here are the new products that we started rotating into our skincare routines as soon as they hit the shelves:
I never exactly knew I wanted my skin to be bouncy until I came across First Aid Beauty 5-in-1 Bouncy Mask ($38). Now, I’m obsessed with the idea of my visage looking plump, firm and refined. Luckily, that is exactly what this mask does.
So we all know how horrible UV-rays are for skin, but have you ever considered all the other various environmental pollutants making its way onto your face? Yikes! REN Flash Defence Anti-Pollution Mist ($38) forms an invisible protective barrier against these scary free radicals.
Hydrating, gentle, yet powerful and refreshing Dermadoctor Kakadu C Brightening Daily Cleanser ($36) is just what the doctor ordered.
Even in the heat, skin gets dry and irritated. Look to L’Occitane Shea Face Soothing Fluid ($49) to calm and moisturize without a hint of greasiness.
Don’t let summer travels take you away from your acid toner. Pixi Glow Peel Pads ($20) are pre-soaked for easy transport.
Pores feel clogged with sweat and sunscreen? Ah, the joys of warmer weather. Tata Harper Purifying Mask ($65) deeply cleans, but in the most gentle yet effective way possible. Plus, it just feels good!
Less is always more. Kate Somerville IllumniKate Concealing Eye Cream ($42) treats as it simultaneously conceals and brightens. Genius.
Of course we obsess about fine lines around our eyes and mouth, but what about all the signs of aging a bit farther down south? Trish McEvoy Line Eraser Neck and Chest Essence ($98) targets those problem areas directly to lighten dark spots while smoothing and firming. Consider it a must.
Stay tuned for our favorite makeup launches for summer…coming your way soon!
-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com
If you’re heading to a music festival this season, a lot of preparations need to take place. In addition to finding the right alternative to the overplayed flower crown, daily planks to get those abs in check for crop tops, and curating the perfect Spotify playlist to get yourself excited…you need to spend more than a hot minute figuring out your beauty plan. Festival beauty can be a real pain in the a*s, but worry not, we’ve got your face covered. Here’s what we wouldn’t dare enter the desert without:
Skin Laundry Purifying Makeup Remover Cleansing Cloths ($15) – Don’t pack for a festival without face wipes. Trust.
Tatcha Japanese Beauty Papers ($12) somehow manages to soak up oil without smearing all your makeup off in the process.
Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral ($30) – Afternoon SPF touch ups are a non-negotiable when in the sun all day, so make it as easy as possible to avoid foregoing it.
MISSHA Signature Essence Cushion Compact ($35) can not only be applied (and reapplied) on the go, but it contains SPF to boot.
Laura Geller Bronze-n-Bright ($33) will make your skin look alive even when you’re dehydrated and exhausted on day three.
Too Faced Better Than Sex Waterproof Mascara ($23) – Epic mascara, now in waterproof form. Score! (Pun intended.)
In all likelihood, it will be way to hot to wear your hair down. Invisibobble The Traceless Hair Ring ($8 for three) is the best way to keep your locks secure without giving yourself a headache and breaking your strands in the process.
Nunzio Saviano Anti-Frizz Sheets ($18) – Just because you leave your Airbnb, hotel or tent (!!) with straight hair doesn’t mean it will stay that way. Stash one of these in your purse for touchups.
Herban Essentials Cleansing Towelettes ($16) are individually packaged, so tuck one in your purse if you’re worried about missing a shower (…or two.)
Vita Liberata Self Tan Dry Oil SPF 50 ($54) – Add some color to your bod while simultaneously protecting it. A must-have for the first time you wear cutoffs after a long winter.
-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com
It’s not technically summer until June 21, but we’re in a summer state-of-mind. As another sunny weekend comes to a close, and it’s back to the 9-to-5 grind, what better way to spend your workday than to virtually browse for the best in summer beauty? These finds will certainly take you well into fall, so stock up, and feel free to daydream of long days and humid nights spent frolicking with your gorgeous, glowing complexion.
Here’s our list of eight summer beauty products to own now:
1. Tom Ford Small Bronzing Powder in Terra ($65) – A mineral blend of sunstone, amber, and black tourmaline crystals give skin that coveted summer glow. And the white casing is summer sleek to have your face on fleek.
2. Becca Beach Tint Lip Shimmer Soufflé ($24) – The cult-classic beach tint stain is a longtime favorite, and this new glossy formula is perfect for adding punch to your pucker. All six shades are summer-approved, from a neutral fig to a pinky guava.
3. Glossier Perfecting Skin Tint ($26) – This light coverage gives a luminous, dewy glow without any running, smearing, or cakiness.
4. Dior Tie Dye 5 Couleurs Couture Eyeshadow Palette in Ambre Nuit ($62) – Five golden shimmery shadow shades that resemble the sun’s natural hue. Perfect for creating a light summer smokey eye.
5. Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Charcoal Mask ($25) – Sun and sweat are a brutal combination when it comes to skin. That’s why you need a heavy-hitting mask to detox and purify. Charcoal is all the rage as of late, and for good reason. This fragrance-free creamy clay mask will soak up excess oil without stripping your natural dewiness.
6. Lancome Ombre Hypnôse Stylo’ Eyeshadow in Corail Doré ($24) – A multitasking stick that defines, lines, and highlights. This peachy-champagne hue is perfect for brow bone and inner eye definition. Plus, if you’re going for a serious no-makeup-makeup look, glide it on the entire lid for a light wash of shimmer.
7. CoverGirl The Super Sizer Waterproof Mascara ($7) – The newest in CoverGirls cult-classic mascaras, The Super Size, has a long, thin bristled applicator that literally catches every.single.lash. to give mega volume. And waterproof, well, that’s a summer prerequisite (yes, you can even wear into the water!).
8. Nars Duo Eyeshadow in St-Paul-De-Venice ($35) – This limited-edition shadow duo is, quite literally, summer in a compact. A shimmering nectarine and a sheer matte chestnut give just enough color to make it seem like a slight golden kiss from the sun.
Fringe, floral, high-waisted, and hipster bottoms: Summer 2015 is shaping up to be the season of a thousand swimsuit styles. We talked swimwear trends with designers Laura Poretzky-Garcia of Ete Swim and Morgan Curtis of Solid & Striped here, but now it’s time to pick our must-have, must own, must wear swimsuits of 2015. Below, our edit of the best swimsuits to buy today:
1. Vitamin A Esperanza Serra Wrap Bikini Top ($92) and Hipster California Cut Bikini Bottom ($84) – The cut-outs make it on trend while the hipster-style bottoms give way to fuller coverage. We love how this suit is sexy without being too skimpy.
2. Maaji Seastone Top ($68) and Hipsters Bottoms ($65) – The perfect bikini for those looking for added coverage on the top and bottom. We love how the underwire gives breast support while the full hipster bottoms lift and cover the entire backside (no skimpy Brazilian cuts here)!
3. Marysia Swim Palm Springs Sporty Bikini Top ($395) – If you’re looking for tummy support and added coverage on both top and bottom, this is the bikini for you. Our mommy friend swears by this get-up. Plus, the scalloped edges are a rather unique flair.
4. La Marée Navy Bikini Top ($120) and Navy Cheeky Bikini Bottom ($92) – If you’re a fan of the triangle top, look no further than La Marée’s updated take on the classic style. Tasseled detailing makes this a serious showstopper, while the bottoms draw inspiration from a more covered boyshort silhouette.
5. Zimmermann Admire V Tuck One Piece ($350) – When it comes to one-pieces, Zimmermann’s covers problem areas while still managing to exude sex appeal. It covers the stomach and supports the breasts with padding and V-wire for ample cleavage.
6. Eres Kube Satellite Cutout Bandeau Swimsuit ($550) – Eres, quite possibly, makes some of the most flatteringswimwear around. It’s pricey, but it’s classic colors and silhouettes will last a lifetime. This particular one-piece is actually a two piece from the back with a cinched waist in front to make everything look… well, more cinched!
7. Mara Hoffman Reversible Halter Bikini Top ($121) and Reversible Bikini Bottoms ($121) – She’s known for her colorful patterns and wide-range of shapes and styles. The halter is ideal for additional support, while the bottoms are more full, like a hipster bottom for added coverage. Somehow, with all of this coverage, the bikini still manages to exude serious sex appeal. That’s the beauty of Mara Hoffman.
If you’re a total beauty product junkie (pot, meet kettle), natural products are more important than ever. Items that are made from sustainable and organic ingredients are not only better for you, but also the world as a whole. In honor of Earth Day, we rounded up our top eco-friendly beauty picks in this list of must-have healthy products for mind, body, and Mother Earth. Not to get all touchy-feely, but consider this a gentle reminder that the earth does not belong to us, we belong to the earth. Happy shopping!
1. Ideal for on-the-go application, W3ll People Narcissist Foundation + Concealer Stick ($40) covers what you want without a hint of cakiness.
2. Unlike many organic skincare products, Om Aroma & Co. Carrot Rose Serum ($72) actually smells good. The formula is rich in vitamin A for cellular turnover, but also lightly softens with carrot seed oil.
3. Almost as if it is personalized just for you, Tarte Lipsurgence Skintuitive Lip Gloss ($19) adjusts to your body’s pH for a pop of color that is universally flattering.
4. Locks can take a real beating from heat styling (although of course we advocate air-drying to save electricity!). Rahua Shampoo ($32) uses rahua oil to fortify weak, damaged strands back to their healthier state.
5. Your body goes through a lot of stress. Pursoma Ocean Potion Bath ($10) helps to detoxify and stimulate circulation. Bonus points for feeling like a luxurious spa bath.
7. No one likes visible pores… no one! Beautycounter Enlightening Treatment Pads ($40) has a slew of natural acids and extracts to refine and tighten.
8. Products that do double-duty are always a plus. Ilia Beauty multi-stick ($34) adds a pop of color to both lips and cheeks, but is also filled with moisturizing Vitamin-E.
9. To awaken tired, dull skin, try popping Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Essence ($85) in your fridge. A quick mist will wake you up faster than an espresso.
10. Sunscreen doesn’t have to be chalk full of harmful chemicals to protect from even more harmful UV-rays. Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer Physical Defense SPF 30 ($38) physically blocks with zinc oxide while imparting a slight tint on the skin.
11. Think about how much your nails touch your face and other parts of your body. Do you really want them covered in chemicals? RGB Five-Free Topcoat ($18) seals lacquer and provides high-shine without any of the bad stuff.
12. Not only does Josie Maran Argan Oil Mascara ($22) lengthen and volumize lashes, it also actually nourishes them.
13. When putting something on your eyes, you want it to be as gentle as possible. S.W. Basics Makeup remover ($14) is remarkably made from only three organic ingredients: Sweet almond, olive and jojoba oils to remove even the toughest of waterproof mascaras.
14. Want a sun-kissed glow that is anything but unnatural? Look to RMS Buriti Bronzer ($28). If it has Miranda Kerr’s seal of approval, it should have yours as well.
15. After a tough workout, wash your body with Marianella Rejuvenating Bath and Shower Gel ($28). It’s invigorating, gentle, and smells divine!
16. Clumsy people, listen up. Naturopathica Arnica Muscle & Joint Gel ($24) will speed up healing those random bumps and bruises that you always seem to gather. It also does wonders on fatigued muscles.
Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com.