Category:  inspiration

INSPIRATION: Tumblr!

By | inspiration | 7 Comments

I’m officially obsessed. How did I not know about Tumblr sooner? It’s like a digital vision board. I have just spent the past two days uploading over 100 photos (and a few quotes) of images that inspire me… from a beautiful face, a vintage Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Jackie O or Liz Taylor, to a rare Kate Moss or Madonna black and white (shot by photogs like Richard Avedon, Helmut Newton, even a Gus Van Sant), and a colorful landscape or scenery of a Moroccan desert or a a coastal shoreline.

All of these images inspire the way I think about beauty and, subsequently, the way I play with makeup. For if it weren’t for the classic beauties like the Grace’s, Audrey’s, Jackie’s and Liz’s, or the more obscure and seductive imagery of a Kate Moss or even a nameless model floating naked in a lake, or the colors of a desert – golds and rusts and oranges – my canvas would be rather bleak. Because where you find inspiration is in all the places where you find bits and pieces of beauty, whatever that means to you. And for me, beauty comes from everywhere.

The makeup trends we see on the red carpet or runways – the makeup I wear – is a translation of an inspiration, conscious or unconscious, that someone had at some moment in time.

So, I urge each of you to start a tumblr account and keep a digital vision board of your favorite things that inspire and enchant you. If it’s not beautiful things – people or places – you needn’t worry, tumblr – and the web – are full of images of any thing your heart desires. But start the dialogue with yourself. Inspire and create.

Wanna see what’s got me IN-spired? Click HERE.

Follow me on tumblr: http://sarahrhoward.tumblr.com/

And here’s a peak of some of my favorite images:

INSPIRATION: ROYALS PAST

By | inspiration | 4 Comments

I had to! Royal fever has hit me full throttle… sigh.

With Kate Middleton, princess-to-be, ONE day away from HER ROYAL HIGHNESS, I thought it poignant to have a look back at some of my favorite royals from past to present.

What makes a royal timeless? Classic beauty, of course. Princess Grace and Princess Di are probably the most famous – and arguably the most beautiful, but there are many more that are just as timeless and just as classic. Royals, by nature,  don’t take as many risks or chances, but they always look put together, sophisticated and photog ready (which I love). Not a hair out of place, not an eyelash without mascara.

Here, some of the real life royal beauties:

PRINCESS LETIZIA OF SPAIN

She’s got great genes, naturally, but an easy to maintain haircut, flawless skin and well defined arches give her that regal appeal. Notice how even her highlights are perfectly maintained. No trends going on here.

CROWN PRINCESS OF DENMARK MARY ELIZABETH

Tres sophisticated and very regal. Her raven hair, dark eyes and defined arches scream timeless. Eyes are very important when talking about classic beauty. So much of beauty comes from the eyes – the gaze, the stare, the story from the soul.

QUEEN RANIA OF JORDAN

Beautiful genes again, but, still, she knows how to work what she’s got. A trend I’m noticing, royals have great brows. Rania’s are no exception. She also has fabulous bone structure which definitely helps give her that classic appeal.

PRINCESS GRACE OF MONACO

From movie star to princess, it was a true fairy tale. How beautiful is that face? Those eyebrows? That flawless skin? Her makeup only added to an already effortless beauty. The epitome of classic.: effortless.

PRINCESS DIANA OF WALES

Princess Di definitely grew into her beauty, but I believe that’s why people relate to her is because she wasn’t untouchable. She was familiar. Although she had a classic elegance – the short hair, great skin, dramatic eyes, there was an ease to her beauty.

Who is YOUR favorite royal?

INSPIRATION: Catherine Deneuve

By | inspiration | 11 Comments

French actress, Catherine Deneuve may be pushing 70 years old, but her beauty is timeless. Classic. Eternal. While going through images of looks for Spring, I came across some beautiful pictures of a younger Catherine – winged liner, a perfectly painted pout, healthy and full arches – that resonate now just as easily and gracefully as they did back then.

Keep in mind, classic beauty never goes out of style. You cannot go wrong with black liner, mascara and a mauve pink matted lip.

Here are a few of my inspiration photos for “Spring on the Riviera” – a natural palette with a hint of drama, focused on the eyes (I’ll use a black liquid liner – perhaps, Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner – Blackest Black).

Are you feeling INSPIRED by Catherine Deneuve’s beauty?