Inspiration: Festival Fashion and Beauty
And another weekend of Coachella images clogging your feed is upon us! If you’re one of the festival ladies (or gents) who is partial to pool parties, frolicking in 95 degree heat, and enormous crowds packed onto fields like sardines – aka if you are going to Coachella, then this post will serve as your beauty and fashion inspiration. If you’re like me, and live music set against a backdrop of rowdy fraternizing patrons is not your thing, then allow this post to be your spring/ summer inspiration, with a dash of festival attire thrown in for good measure.
1. Shoes – When it comes to festivals, comfortable – yet stylish – shoes are in order. Flat boots were made for walking (through fields), but a birkenstock-type of sandal will save your feet from cramping and the new styles are actually (gasp!) cute. Just make sure you’re toes are pedicured and painted! Brands like Givenchy (floral print and all) and Rebecca Minkoff ($250) have debuted their fashionable versions of the world’s most comfortable sandal.
2. Hat – Yes, sunblock is important but a wide-brimmed hat will keep your complexion – and hair – in check. Not to mention, a great hat is quite simply the most coveted festival accessory. I am a huge fan of anything Rag and Bone and the hats are not exception. This one and this one are my festival favorites.
3. Sunglasses – Sunnies that shield you from inebriated passerby’s and the intense rays that are blocking your view of said inebriated passerby’s. Festival sunglasses are all about having personality. Try Chicwish plastic heart shaped sunnies ($16) in bright red and unearth your inner Lolita.
4. SPF – Sunscreen is a given. Sure, baking in the heat may feel nice, but it won’t look nice when you’ve given yourself sun damage. A powdered sunscreen is ideal as you can continually reapply in between your favorite musical sets — and it’ll actually soak up any excess oil or sweat! Try Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral Powder SPF 45 ($30), one of my favorite powder SPFs!
5. Lip Stain – Stains were practically invented for festivals. The right stain can act as color for lips and cheeks while being virtually sweat-proof and waterproof (just in case the sprinklers go off?). You want that hint of color without looking like you’ve spent hours getting ready. I turn to Becca’s Beach Tint ($25) as my stain-of-choice. Watermelon is the perfect spring/ summer pink shade… that’ll give you that I-just-sucked-on-a-popsicle flirty color.
6. Dry Shampoo – So your hair is hiding under that wide-brimmed hat, but your scalp is baking in sweat and oils. Dry Shampoo will save your ‘do. Invest in a travel-size, so that you can spray the roots while en route to the big stage. Try Alterna Cleanse Extend Translucent Dry Shampoo in Bamboo Leaf Scent in the 1.25 travel size ($12). If it’s good enough for Katie Holmes, it’s good enough for us!
7. Cross Shoulder Bag – Fringe is practically a prerequisite so when choosing your Coachella bag, make sure there is some boho fringe attached. And since you’ll need your hands free to pound beers (or water) and smoke herb, a cross shoulder bag is your best bet. It’s stylish and practical. Loving the JJ Winters Mini Fringe Suede Bag ($165), and apparently Alessandra Ambrosia, Vannesa Hudgens and Minka Kelly love it too.