Category:  hair

jennifer-aniston-wavy-ends-blonde-highlgihts-hair

Hair Color Dictionary With Michael Canale

By | celebrity looks, hair | One Comment

Gloss, shine, or tone? Do you know what your colorist is doing to your hair? We asked Michael Canale, celebrity colorist who is responsible for Jennifer Aniston’s glowing gold shade, to give us the 411 on your salon color options. As they say, knowledge is power.

“Glosses – Add shine and enhance color. Say I wanted to take yellow out of someone’s hair to give it a slight alteration, I would use a shine or gloss. You can use gloss on gold tones to cool tones, never ash tones. Glosses last from 3 to 10 shampoos; certain glosses can last up to two months, depending on what lines you are using.

Shines – Usually clear with the slightest amount of gold or cool blue tones. The blue shine would soften a golden look and the gold shine would enhance. Shines last a week to two weeks; you can buy them in shampoo form too. [You can purchase shine shampoo here].

Toner – Toner is more permanent than gloss. You can actually make a toner out of a hair color. A cool toner would take yellow, sandy, beige tones out of the hair. Blue toner makes white and counters yellow, slate toner takes red out of the hair. Toner lasts about 4 to 6 weeks. [You can purchase toner shampoo here].

Semi-Permanent Color – Non-ammonia hair color that usually lays on the outside of the hair shaft so you keep your natural color. It washes out and doesn’t produce red tones. You would use this to cover grey hairs, or for someone who colors their hair often. You can also use it to darken blonde, it’s less harsh and easier to get out than permanent color. Lasts 4 to 6 weeks.

Permanent Color – Permanent has a lifting ability and alters the base color, permanently. The best candidate is someone who is already dark but wants to go darker, and they don’t color their hair often. If you use an active tint to go dark, you will go red eventually (beware!).

Balayage – Free hand way to add highlights that usually uses a hotter bleach (stronger bleach). Great way to refresh or touch-up color. If you want chunky blonde, ask for balayage.

Foils – A more isolated technique to add highlights – you can see what you are doing and keep it away from the other hair while its in the foils. Foils look much more natural.”

Michael Canale, celebrity colorist whose clients include Jennifer Aniston, Heidi Klum and Penelope Cruz.

IMG_5919

Trending: The Half-Up Top Knot

By | hair, trends | No Comments

Remember when the top knot was all the rage? Well, top knot, you’ve got some stiff competition, and it comes in the form of the slightly more feminine and sexy AF half-up top knot, as worn on the heads of Kourtney Kardashian, Lily Aldridge, and Kim Kardashian. This super flattering style adds a few extra inches in the vertical direction, and it’s relatively simple to achieve.

To recreate, take the front half of your hair and gather at the crown of your head (the higher, the better). Use a rubber band to secure. Then wrap the hair already in the rubber band into a bun and pull the tail through, like tying a knot. Keep in place with a few bobby pins. Showing the tail is chic, so pull out a few random pieces to really achieve the undone-done vibe.

To give it some texture like Kourtney, add a dry shampoo or texture spray to strands prior to doing the knot. Try Kardashian Beauty Take 2 Dry Shampoo ($15), which was used on Kourt’s killer look, or Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray ($44).

For some sleek shine, à la Lily, opt for Redken’s Shine Flash 02 ($14), a personal favorite, or Kerastase Nutritive Oleo-Relax Serum ($26).

img-set

The Best Beach Sprays For Beach Season

By | favorites, hair | No Comments

I remember the first time I tried beach/ wave/ sea spray like it was yesterday. It was John Frieda Beach Blonde Sea Waves Sea Salt Spray ($9) and it changed my life (or at least the life of my locks). You could call it love at first spray. No more blowdries! No more pencil straight strands! I was on my way to Gisele surfer-girl hair, circa late ’90s/ early 2000s. I could now let my mane air dry, mist a healthy dose of this magic potion that left my hair looking like I had just walked off of a Sport’s Illustrated Swimsuit photo shoot (you know that sexy, tousled thing that all those hotties have going on), and BAM! I was ready to face the world, beautiful, voluminous, textured hair to boot.

I also remember when John Frieda decided to discontinue this cult-classic product. You could practically hear the tears of adolescents the nation over after discovering that our favorite hair savior had just… disappeared without so much as a goodbye. I hoarded my last bottle like it was a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Like most, I went on a quest to find a similar product and, like most, I was vastly underwhelmed. The sea sprays of yesteryear were either stinky (smelling like perfume instead of… the sea) or left my gorgeous, shiny locks crunchy, hard, and dry. Sigh.

But then, as if the hair God’s had been listening to our prayers, brands started stepping up their beach spray game. And now, in 2016, we have a plethora of damn good sprays that give damn great results! Oh, and John Frieda has relaunched their coveted Sea Spray (finally!).

Here are the best beachy hair sprays on the market today:

John Frieda Beach Blonde Sea Waves Sea Salt Spray ($9) – The OG of beach sprays, this stuff is the real deal. Leaves locks shiny, bouncy, and smelling like a piña colada.

Verb  Sea Spray ($13) – Before finding my beloved John Frieda (take two), this was as close to the good stuff as I got. It even has the same turquoise hue. The scent is different, but the formulas both provide a hint of shine with a messy, tousled, beachy wave. In other words, this stuff is the bomb.

Kevin Murphy Hair Resort Spray ($28) – Oil-free formula that gives strands shine and that undone, wavy beach hair that we all know and love. I heart it.

Ouai Wave Spray ($26) – Celeb stylist Jen Atkin’s star product, this formula will have you wanting to drink it… it’s that good. Results are tousled, Khloe K-looking strands. And the sprayer is pure perfection: It actually mists equally across your head, instead of squirting out a heap of product on a single section.

The Gnarly Whale Hair Beach Waves ($14) – With just 6 ingredients, this stuff is as close to a bottle of ocean water as you’ll get. And bonus: It smells like a ripe coconut.

Redken Nature’s Rescue Radiant Sea Spray – Definitely more “perfume-y” than the rest, but the formula is oh-so good, I had to include. It’s a lightweight mist that produces some serious texture without weighing down the mane.

Sweat-Proofing Your Beauty Routine

By | body, hair, how to, makeup | 2 Comments

Whether you’re venturing into the desert for Coachella or simply thinking ahead to the dog days of summer, you’ll need to change up your beauty routine to avoid any sweaty mishaps. Toss aside your rich creams and thick products for lighter counterparts to avoid looking like a literal hot mess. Living through treacherously steamy days is brutal enough, so don’t make it worse with gooey and drippy formulas. East Coasters, this post is purely aspirational. West Coasters, we continue to envy you.

Hair: Even the thickest locks can look limp and flat when combined with sweat and oil. Unless you’re going for a grungy Jared Leto (pre-bleach) look, rinse your strands with Fekkai Apple Cider Clarifying Shampoo ($20) to remove any grease and product buildup. Before styling, apply a generous coating of Living Proof Prime Style Extender ($20) which actually repels dirt and sweat to extend the life of any style. Magic! If your hair needs some perking up and you don’t have time to wash it, look to Davines Hair Refresher ($28) to fake it until you make it.

Prepping and priming your skin for humidity is a total non-negotiable. First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Oil-Free Mattifying Gel ($30) has a slew of natural oil-fighters to keep the grease at bay, and absorbs quickly without over drying the skin. Warm weather is not the time for moisturizing CC Creams or dewy foundations; instead, look to Becca Ever-Matte Shine Proof Foundation ($42). This medium coverage formula blends easily and leaves the skin with a matte finish. Under eye circles don’t choose their victims based on temperature, but most concealers easily crease and flake. Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Complete Coverage Concealer ($28) stays put all day without a crease in sight. For some extra security against the grease Gods, dust your face with Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder ($34). Don’t forget to throw a refreshing mist, such as L’Occitane Immortelle Precious Mist ($16), into your bag to revitalize and refresh on-the-go. Those people giving you funny looks for misting in public? They’re just jealous.

Rising temps means more color everywhere, from your clothing to your cocktails (rosé season, anyone?). Hopefully you’re taking sun protection seriously and shielding your skin. There is truly no reason not to since you can easily fake it with Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Bronzer ($30). This formula can withstand some major moisture, and is even safe to wear with a white shirt. In the heat, most powder blushes will slide right off your skin as soon as you leave the house, so stick to a gel or stain such as Becca Beach Tint ($25). Finally, let’s not even get into the sticky hazards of lip gloss. Swap your favorites for Sonia Kashuk Velvety Matte Lip Crayon ($8) and be done with it.

Eyes: Eye makeup in warm weather can be beyond messy and irritating. Anyone who has had a mascara mishap (hello raccoon eyes!) knows that the struggle is real. Waterproof mascara and liner are absolute non-negotiables, and Eyeko Sport Mascara ($24) paired with Topshop Waterproof Liner ($10) didn’t even run or flake while being tested in a Barry’s Bootcamp class. For an easy swipe of color on your lids, try Nudestix Magnetic Eye Color Pencil ($24). It’s designed for “uber oily lids” and is waterproof, sweat-proof, and tear proof. Put it to the test… we dare you.

Body: When it’s warm outside, thick lotions and creams generally feel like they’re simply sitting on top of your skin instead of being absorbed. Swap your rich winter formulas for Sunday Riley Juno Body Serum ($105), which your skin will soak up faster than a sponge. In addition to moisturizing, this concoction promotes elasticity and tone, even if you sleep through Pilates class… again. You also want to make sure your bod is seriously clean after getting hot and sweaty (get your head out of the gutter! not THAT way!). Malin+Goetz Eucalyptus Shower Gel ($20) is anti-microbial to help keep you fresh all day long… use it and bask in the cooling effects coupled with the earthy scent.

Go ahead, get your sweat on. Your products can handle it.

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com.

spring hair cuts 2016

Spring 2016: The Hair Cuts That Are Trending

By | hair, trends | No Comments

Chop it like it’s hot: This spring, it’s all about going shorter, taking the plunge, and chopping those locks… if even only by an inch or two. We sat down with celebrity hairstylist Mika Fowler of the Kim Vo Salon – who has worked with Olivia Munn, Nina Dobrev, and Emma Roberts – to get the insider scoop into what cuts are trending for spring 2016.

For shoulder to chin-length hair: “The lob is still going strong, especially Khloe Kardashian’s recent cut,” says Mika. ” And the style is slightly longer in the front to give it more edge, and layers that start at the cheekbone to make it more current for spring. Slightly a-line.”

For medium to long hair: Gone are the days of the V cut. A straight bottom is really key, explains Mika, a la Karlie Kloss. “The younger girls on social media – 20 to 30-year-olds – all have this new style.” Mika urges to chop just above the breast line to really keep the look on-trend.

For super long hair: Long hair is no longer in. Yep, it’s true. If you can’t part with your long locks, update the look by adding ombre (dark roots, lighter tips) so it doesn’t actually look like the hair is as long as it truly is, suggests Mika. “If you do want to stay longer, try colored clip-in extensions, like purple or pastel pink, which are both still trending for spring. Then you can have ombre color extensions!”

55607.0.zoom

Favorites: The Headpiece

By | favorites, hair | No Comments

Maybe it’s festival season looming on the horizon that’s got us all gushy for headpieces. Or perhaps it’s just spring and blooming flowers. Either way, the trend du jour is a kick-ass, statement-making headpiece (sometimes referred to as an embellished headband, worn around the head instead of on top). Cover up a bad hair day or accessories a blasé outfit by adorning your crown with, well, a crown!

Here are a few favorites to get you inspired:

Forever 21 Chain Head Piece ($4) – At $4 each, buy the gold and silver.
Forever 21 Rhinestone Flower Head Piece ($9) – This combines everything we love about headpieces: flowers, rhinestones, and gold!
Nasty Gal Crown Royal Headband ($14, landing image) – Get your retro vibe on with this forehead-grazing antique pendent. Can someone say statement?!
New Look Premium Pearl Flower Headband ($17) – Faux flowers scream spring (and Coachella).
Nasty Gal Nicolette Jewel Headband ($35) – Gold and flowers, not tacky… show-stopping.
Krystal Swarovski Crystal Statement Head Piece ($43 sale!) – This looks like something a legit queen would wear.
Jennifer Behr Eos Headband ($298) – You’ll want to wear this all day, every day, it’s that gorgeous (trust us, we’re wearing ours now).

For a DIY fresh floral headpiece tutorial, click here.

Actress Dree Hemingway’s DIY Healthy Hair Tips

By | diy, hair | One Comment

Just in time for warmer weather and divine sunshine, super sexy actress and model, Dree Hemingway, offers up her exclusive Do-It-Yourself tip for keeping hair healthy while still enjoying optimal outdoor time.

“I put olive oil and sunscreen in my hair when I’m at the beach. It saves my ends from getting damaged and ends up saving me from expensive treatments when I return to reality,” says  Dree.

 While sun and swim are enjoyable recreational activities, the sun and saltwater can take a huge toll on hair and skin. UV rays can damage the hair shaft, cause split ends and oxidize color-treated hair, while salt water immediately dries out those luscious locks by depleting their natural oils and making them appear lifeless and dull. And all of this damage can cost you unnecessary amounts of money in salon treatments and specialty products needed to repair the harm.

You can avoid the salon trips and protect your hair from the harsh effects of sun damage, including oxidation and breakage, by applying sunscreen to your strands prior to exposure. Olive oil is a natural and inexpensive moisturizer that penetrates the hair, restoring shine, luster and hydration lost from extended exposure to sun and salt water.

TRY: Christophe Robin Moisturizing Hair Oil with Lavender to hydrate and protect with SPF 6 ($47) or Phyto Phytoplage Protective Sun Oil ($30) to protect colored hair from sun, sea, and chlorine.

While both sunscreen and olive oil will help maintain the health and sheen of your tresses, there’s nothing like a wide-brimmed hat to keep the sun’s rays entirely off of your hair and face.

Obsessed with the traditional Panama straw hat. ($48 – and this one can be packed in a suitcase!). For a wider brimmed version, opt for J.Crew’s Textured Summer Straw Hat ($35, in black or natural, again, packable); I wear them constantly, spring and summer. Fashionably sun aware.

599x773x5-lipstick-teeth.jpg.pagespeed.ic.jGBHNb7rHz

10 Of The Very Best Beauty Hacks

By | body, diy, favorites, hair, makeup | 9 Comments

I love a good beauty hack (but then again, who does’t?). From multipurpose products to household items that work just as well – if not better – than expensive store-bought products to application tricks that cut down on your getting ready time, beauty hacks are indispensable to a well-rounded, efficient beauty routine.

While we all have our go-to beauty tricks, here are 10 of the very best beauty hacks for hair, skin, and body:

1. Baby Powder isn’t just for babies. While baby powder has been widely used as a substitute for dry shampoo (a little on the scalp, rub in, flip, and go), it’s also an effective way to curb sweat – from underarms to between your legs (especially in hot and humid climates when your thighs tend to chafe).
TRY: Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Dusting Powder for a natural, healthier baby powder alternative.

2. Is your hair plagued with frizz and flyaways? Take a good old fashioned dryer sheet from your laundry room and gently run it over your hair to tame the frizzes. Works like magic.
TRY: Seventh Generation Natural Fabric Softener Sheets. All-natural is always a better option.

3. Want beachy curls while you sleep? The SoCal Curls contraption will give you better waves than a curling iron. And it does it all while you’re getting your snooze on. I do recommend watching the tutorial first (here).
BUY here.

4. Mascara makes a marvelous liquid eyeliner. It’s true – you’ve got a great, pigmented formula for the taking! Just dip an angled brush onto the mascara wand and apply to your lash line. Use the same mascara on your lashes for a perfect pairing of color and consistency. The waterproof mascaras work like a charm.
TRY: Benefit’s Bad Gal Waterproof Mascara with Make Up For Ever’s Angled Eyeliner Brush.

5. For an all-over, dewy, model-like complexion, mix a dollop of liquid highlighter in with your face moisturizer. If you want coverage and dewiness, combine the highlighter with your favorite foundation, BB cream, or tinted moisturizer.
TRY: Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid (seriously, the best).

6. I’ve raved about my obsession with lipstick as blush here and here (video included). But did you know that if you add a very small amount of Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream to your cheeks prior to rubbing on the lipstick (or any cream blush for that matter), it’ll actually blend much better – without all of the pulling and tugging. And 8 Hour Cream leaves a gorgeous glow on the skin, so it’s really a two-for-one. You can also use the excess on your lips and a dab on the eyes gives that glossy lid look.
BUY here.

7. Setting your lipstick really does work, especially when going for a bold, colorful hue. And the same trick is applicable to transitioning a glossier formula to that which is more matte. Here’s how you do it: place a tissue over your lipstick-painted pout. Using a brush and a translucent powder, gently dust the powder over the tissue. And voila! Mattified, long lasting color. Use the powder on the rest of your face to set your makeup as well. Just make sure you’re choosing a colorless formula.
TRY: Laura Mercier Mineral Finishing Powder

8. Coconut oil is good for everything, from makeup remover to body moisturizer. But one of my absolute favorite uses for the all-natural oil is as a healthy shaving cream. It actually works better than the store-bought ones! And while you have your tub of coconut oil in the bath, apply to the ends of your hair as a DIY treatment (a favorite of Khloe Kardashian).
TRY: Garden of Life Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (it’s organic!).

9. If you’re a fan of hairspray – I’m all about L’Oreal’s Elnett Satin Hairspray (if you don’t own a can, you’re seriously missing out) – then use it to keep unruly brows in place as well. While brow gels are effective, uncooperative brow hairs like mine need something stronger from time to time. Hairspray is the answer. Spray onto a spooly and brush onto brows in an upward motion.
BUY here.

10. If you’re wearing a bold lip – red included – chances are, color will end up on your teeth. And this is a beauty no-no. So ensure that the color stays off by using these two quick and easy post-lipstick steps. 1 – Put your finger in your mouth and pull it out. You’ll be amazed how much lipstick ends up on the inner part of your lip (which would undoubtedly have ended up on your pearly whites). 2 – Coat your teeth with a thin layer of vaseline or Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream (yet another use for the multipurpose balm). Misplaced lipstick will slide right off. Plus, this professional trick is a red carpet favorite as the coated teeth actually glisten when you smile.

Have a genius beauty hack… Let us know in the comments below!