Category:  hair

8d950401f0a7d9ec0a455cab441708fd

DIY Beachy Wave Spray

By | diy, hair | 4 Comments

We all want perfect Gisele-beachy waves (well, I do at least). Isn’t it baffling how thick and full and perfectly messy your hair looks when you step out of the ocean? Well, you can make your very own “ocean in a bottle” with ingredients that you likely have in your beauty and kitchen cabinets. This simple, DIY beachy wave spray requires only 4 ingredients and about two minutes of time. Gisele hair is closer than you think…

What you’ll need:
Spray bottle (like this)
Sea salt (or Kosher salt)
Warm water
Hair gel
Coconut oil (optional)

Benefits of the ingredients:
Sea Salt – Activates curling and texture.
Hair Gel – Gives added texture and hold.
Coconut Oil – Naturally adds moisture and leaves hair soft to the touch. Smells like the summer.

Instructions:
Mix warm water with sea salt into the spray bottle. Start with 1 tablespoon of sea salt for every 4oz of water. Add more salt for thicker waves. Choose your favorite hair gel and squeeze a dollop into the spray bottle. For drier hair, add in one teaspoon of melted coconut oil. Shake all of the ingredients and spray away.

Will last for up to one month.

photo 2

Favorites: Dry Hair Helpers

By | favorites, hair | 7 Comments

True story: I moved to LA two and a half years ago to find refuge from the debilitating cold of NYC winter, only to have my skin and hair left more dehydrated and weak than ever before. LA’s climate is so painfully dry that the ends of my hair literally break off. There’s something awful in the water here, too, but we’ll save that for a different post. I trimmed the split ends yet still found no solace from the dry climate.

That’s when I decided to go on a hunt for the best dry hair helpers on the market. I need oils, masks, lotions, and potions. Anything that can salvage my lifeless, dead, split ends. Here are the products that I found – and use – to keep my hair in shiny, healthy, and happy shape.

Philip B Rejuvenating Oil ($30) – Meant for dry hair and scalp, this is a treatment oil that will take dead, dehydrated strands and give them a surge of moisture. I don’t use it on my scalp because I naturally produce a fair amount of oil, but I keep it on my ends once a week for at least an hour before washing out. Love, love, love how healthy my hair looks and feels after a treatment.

Phyto 7 Daily Hydrating Botanical Cream ($28) – Think of this as a moisturizer… for your hair. Daily use has breathed new life into my otherwise lifeless strands. It also makes combing and blow drying a much easier task. One of my favorite products on the market, seriously.

Neuma NeuSmooth Revitalizing Masque  ($40)- This hair mask is heavy stuff — and the results are soft, shiny, manageable, and rehydrated hair. I use it as a daily conditioner (that’s how dry my ends are!), applying to ends and leaving it on for 1-2 minutes, but as a weekly treatment product, give it a good ten minutes to penetrate through the hair shaft.

Arcona Essential Nutrients Silk Leave-In Conditioner ($20) – For those days when the tangles get the best of your hair, this leave-in conditioner will nourish, detangle and moisturize. The formula of vitamins, silk protein and Panthenol can be sprayed onto dry scalps too.

Sachajuan Intensive Hair Oil ($45) – A serum of moisturizing oils that tames frizzies and fly-aways without looking greasy. This formula of argan, buckthorn, and sunflower oils can also be used as a leave-in treatment to penetrate the hair cuticles for ultra soft, shiny, and manageable hair. Apply on wet or dry hair. Leave on or wash off. I reapply throughout the day for the occasional pick-me-up.

Alterna Caviar Repair Split Ends Mend ($35) – A daily restorative treatment that literally mends split ends by 93% from the first application. Apply to dry or damp ends and allow to air dry or use hot tools for healthier, glossier, smoother hair.

c900x585

Under $10: Best Drugstore Hair Products

By | hair, under $10 | 8 Comments

Many women are under the misconception that beautiful hair has to break the bank. Totally false. As long as you are diligent about your ingredient list (steer clear of sulfates, parabens, and the like), you can find amazing hair products for a fraction of the price of expensive favorites like Oribe, Kerastase, and Fekkai.

Here are a few of our favorite drugstore hair products, all under $10:

1. Sauve Professionals Dry Shampoo Spray ($6) – Who isn’t a sucker for dry shampoo (second day hair happens to be better than freshly washed)? This totally affordable drugstore find rivals the expensive ones. It sprays clear and gives great volume!

2. Pantene Pro-V Medium-Thick Style Heat Protection & Shine Spray ($5) – If you’re a fan of hot tools, then you need this product. Not only is it affordable, but it’ll leave your strands soft, shiny, and protected.

3. Nature’s Gate Herbal Daily Cleansing Shampoo ($6) – An inexpensive, pH balanced, all-natural shampoo that cleans without stripping color. And it’s sulfate-free, so no carcinogens here!

4. L’Oreal Paris EverStrong Reconstructing Conditioner ($7) – Sulfate-free conditioner that adds nourishment, shine, and moisture to damaged hair. The rosemary mint scent is the perfect way to start your day. The complimenting EverStrong Sulfate-Free Shampoo is worth the under $10 price tag as well.

5. Yes To Baby Carrots Shampoo and Body Wash ($8) – This is a gentle yet effective everyday shampoo that doubles as a body wash! Safe enough for your baby, but good enough for you. And it’s subtle, sweetly delish smells makes it a treat, without any calories.

6. Garnier Fructis Style Sleek & Shine Anti-Humidity Hairspray, Ultra Strong ($4) – A hairspray that tames frizzies while giving great hold… without feeling stiff or hard. A steal, indeed!

7. Alba Botanica Hawaiian So Smooth Anti – Frizz Serum Gardenia ($8) – A healthy, natural, weightless serum that tames flyaways. Argan oil and plant-sourced keratin seal the cuticle to give strands optimal shine.

514419_in_pp

Weekly Must-Have: Christophe Robin Regenerating Mask

By | hair, weekly must-have | No Comments

Dry hair, don’t care: Famed French celebrity colorist Christophe Robin’s Regenerating Mask is the only mask you’re dehydrated strands will need. Winter sucks the life (and moisture) out of our manes, but so does summer. Sun, chlorine, and salt water are all elements that work against our precious locks. To combat the seasonal certainties, turn to Christophe Robin Regenerating Mask.

Infused with prickly pear seed oil to nourish, plant ceramics to strengthen, and Inula flower to revive, this mask will certainly take care of all of your hair’s summer needs. But my favorite part about this delicious deep conditioner is the way it moisturizes without weighing it down. The formula is so special that it’ll take the most damaged, whacked-out hair and, with one use, turn it into smooth, silky, gorgeous strands (of gold!). It’s also great for post-color treatments.

I like to use the mask twice a week and I keep it on for 3-5 minutes. For more damaged hair, leave on for 20 minutes (if you’re really feeling adventurous, wrap hair in a plastic shower cap and use a blowdryer for 5-10 minutes). For thinner hair, use less, but keep it on for the same amount of time. Rinse and style. First day hair has never looked so good, guaranteed!

PRICE TAG: $71 (pricey but worth it)

shuuemura_colorlustre_brilliantglazetreatmentforcolortreatedhair_withbox_900x900

Weekly Must-Have: Shu Uemura Color Lustre Brilliant Glaze Treatment

By | hair, weekly must-have | No Comments

A couple of months ago, my hair could be described in one word as: meh.  There was nothing obviously wrong, it just wasn’t looking great. While I was happy with my color, cut, and texture thanks to this hair god (New Yorkers, he is a must and comes to YOU!), I just felt that my locks looked lackluster and overall dull. On top of that, I was noticing a good deal of breakage.

Enter: Shu Uemura Color Lustre Brilliant Glaze Treatment. I’ve started using this once or twice weekly, and will for the rest of my life.  Okay maybe that’s an exaggeration, but I feel like I’ve met *the one*–at least as far as hair masks go!

Packed with superfood goji berries to help with fading and fatty acid-rich musk rose oil for deep hydration, this beauty makes hair soft and shiny without a hint of weight or grease. While the smell isn’t my favorite, I couldn’t care less because of the product’s formula and effectiveness.  And for someone who is big on smell, that’s saying a lot.

Love your locks enough to show them some TLC.

PRICE TAG: $68

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com

c600x553

Edible Ingredients: For Eating or Treating?

By | body, hair, skin | No Comments

Maybe it’s that beauty brands are taking note of all the #eeeeats posts on Instagram, or perhaps they are focused on the undeniable skin benefits of food, but edible ingredients are showing up everywhere in our beauty products.  While we’re all for a good DIY situation, the convenience of these powerhouse foods in ready-mixed formulas is certainly worth consideration (and ingestion).

Here are some of our most-adored products that contain foodie components:

While many eye creams with active ingredients cause irritation, Restorsea Revitalizing Eye Cream ($85) has a proprietary complex from a salmon egg enzyme to diminish fine lines and brighten, and is much gentler than its chemical-filled counterparts.

Davines MELU Hair Shield ($34) is a must before heat-styling thanks to the protection it offers from lentil seeds.

One Love Organics Oh Mega Calming Chia Oil ($49) relies on organic chia seed oil to soothe irritated skin.

Breaking out? Look no further than Arcona Raspberry Clarifying Pads ($36).  These are a must post-workout.

While it may sound like a superfood salad, Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado + Quinoa Co-Wash ($36) is a non-lathering cleanser that conditions and nourishes while cleaning your locks.

It would certainly be easy to mistake Eos Vanilla Bliss Shave Cream ($4) for yummy cupcake icing considering the consistency and smell, but it’s not. This stuff makes shaving a cinch.

To double up on the relaxation while soaking in a tub full of Fresh Sake Bath ($82), bring a class of wine in as well!

While we love carrots as a vehicle for our hummus addiction, the glow that they provide in the form of Odacite CaR Wild Carrot Facial Serum Concentrate ($55) is pretty clutch as well.

Not only does May Lindstrom Skin The Honey Mud ($80) feel and look like pudding, it utilizes naturally antibacterial and healing raw honey to soothe skin.

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com

jennifer-aniston-wavy-ends-blonde-highlgihts-hair

Hair Color Dictionary With Michael Canale

By | celebrity looks, hair | One Comment

Gloss, shine, or tone? Do you know what your colorist is doing to your hair? We asked Michael Canale, celebrity colorist who is responsible for Jennifer Aniston’s glowing gold shade, to give us the 411 on your salon color options. As they say, knowledge is power.

“Glosses – Add shine and enhance color. Say I wanted to take yellow out of someone’s hair to give it a slight alteration, I would use a shine or gloss. You can use gloss on gold tones to cool tones, never ash tones. Glosses last from 3 to 10 shampoos; certain glosses can last up to two months, depending on what lines you are using.

Shines – Usually clear with the slightest amount of gold or cool blue tones. The blue shine would soften a golden look and the gold shine would enhance. Shines last a week to two weeks; you can buy them in shampoo form too. [You can purchase shine shampoo here].

Toner – Toner is more permanent than gloss. You can actually make a toner out of a hair color. A cool toner would take yellow, sandy, beige tones out of the hair. Blue toner makes white and counters yellow, slate toner takes red out of the hair. Toner lasts about 4 to 6 weeks. [You can purchase toner shampoo here].

Semi-Permanent Color – Non-ammonia hair color that usually lays on the outside of the hair shaft so you keep your natural color. It washes out and doesn’t produce red tones. You would use this to cover grey hairs, or for someone who colors their hair often. You can also use it to darken blonde, it’s less harsh and easier to get out than permanent color. Lasts 4 to 6 weeks.

Permanent Color – Permanent has a lifting ability and alters the base color, permanently. The best candidate is someone who is already dark but wants to go darker, and they don’t color their hair often. If you use an active tint to go dark, you will go red eventually (beware!).

Balayage – Free hand way to add highlights that usually uses a hotter bleach (stronger bleach). Great way to refresh or touch-up color. If you want chunky blonde, ask for balayage.

Foils – A more isolated technique to add highlights – you can see what you are doing and keep it away from the other hair while its in the foils. Foils look much more natural.”

Michael Canale, celebrity colorist whose clients include Jennifer Aniston, Heidi Klum and Penelope Cruz.

IMG_5919

Trending: The Half-Up Top Knot

By | hair, trends | No Comments

Remember when the top knot was all the rage? Well, top knot, you’ve got some stiff competition, and it comes in the form of the slightly more feminine and sexy AF half-up top knot, as worn on the heads of Kourtney Kardashian, Lily Aldridge, and Kim Kardashian. This super flattering style adds a few extra inches in the vertical direction, and it’s relatively simple to achieve.

To recreate, take the front half of your hair and gather at the crown of your head (the higher, the better). Use a rubber band to secure. Then wrap the hair already in the rubber band into a bun and pull the tail through, like tying a knot. Keep in place with a few bobby pins. Showing the tail is chic, so pull out a few random pieces to really achieve the undone-done vibe.

To give it some texture like Kourtney, add a dry shampoo or texture spray to strands prior to doing the knot. Try Kardashian Beauty Take 2 Dry Shampoo ($15), which was used on Kourt’s killer look, or Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray ($44).

For some sleek shine, à la Lily, opt for Redken’s Shine Flash 02 ($14), a personal favorite, or Kerastase Nutritive Oleo-Relax Serum ($26).

img-set

The Best Beach Sprays For Beach Season

By | favorites, hair | No Comments

I remember the first time I tried beach/ wave/ sea spray like it was yesterday. It was John Frieda Beach Blonde Sea Waves Sea Salt Spray ($9) and it changed my life (or at least the life of my locks). You could call it love at first spray. No more blowdries! No more pencil straight strands! I was on my way to Gisele surfer-girl hair, circa late ’90s/ early 2000s. I could now let my mane air dry, mist a healthy dose of this magic potion that left my hair looking like I had just walked off of a Sport’s Illustrated Swimsuit photo shoot (you know that sexy, tousled thing that all those hotties have going on), and BAM! I was ready to face the world, beautiful, voluminous, textured hair to boot.

I also remember when John Frieda decided to discontinue this cult-classic product. You could practically hear the tears of adolescents the nation over after discovering that our favorite hair savior had just… disappeared without so much as a goodbye. I hoarded my last bottle like it was a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Like most, I went on a quest to find a similar product and, like most, I was vastly underwhelmed. The sea sprays of yesteryear were either stinky (smelling like perfume instead of… the sea) or left my gorgeous, shiny locks crunchy, hard, and dry. Sigh.

But then, as if the hair God’s had been listening to our prayers, brands started stepping up their beach spray game. And now, in 2016, we have a plethora of damn good sprays that give damn great results! Oh, and John Frieda has relaunched their coveted Sea Spray (finally!).

Here are the best beachy hair sprays on the market today:

John Frieda Beach Blonde Sea Waves Sea Salt Spray ($9) – The OG of beach sprays, this stuff is the real deal. Leaves locks shiny, bouncy, and smelling like a piña colada.

Verb  Sea Spray ($13) – Before finding my beloved John Frieda (take two), this was as close to the good stuff as I got. It even has the same turquoise hue. The scent is different, but the formulas both provide a hint of shine with a messy, tousled, beachy wave. In other words, this stuff is the bomb.

Kevin Murphy Hair Resort Spray ($28) – Oil-free formula that gives strands shine and that undone, wavy beach hair that we all know and love. I heart it.

Ouai Wave Spray ($26) – Celeb stylist Jen Atkin’s star product, this formula will have you wanting to drink it… it’s that good. Results are tousled, Khloe K-looking strands. And the sprayer is pure perfection: It actually mists equally across your head, instead of squirting out a heap of product on a single section.

The Gnarly Whale Hair Beach Waves ($14) – With just 6 ingredients, this stuff is as close to a bottle of ocean water as you’ll get. And bonus: It smells like a ripe coconut.

Redken Nature’s Rescue Radiant Sea Spray – Definitely more “perfume-y” than the rest, but the formula is oh-so good, I had to include. It’s a lightweight mist that produces some serious texture without weighing down the mane.

Sweat-Proofing Your Beauty Routine

By | body, hair, how to, makeup | 2 Comments

Whether you’re venturing into the desert for Coachella or simply thinking ahead to the dog days of summer, you’ll need to change up your beauty routine to avoid any sweaty mishaps. Toss aside your rich creams and thick products for lighter counterparts to avoid looking like a literal hot mess. Living through treacherously steamy days is brutal enough, so don’t make it worse with gooey and drippy formulas. East Coasters, this post is purely aspirational. West Coasters, we continue to envy you.

Hair: Even the thickest locks can look limp and flat when combined with sweat and oil. Unless you’re going for a grungy Jared Leto (pre-bleach) look, rinse your strands with Fekkai Apple Cider Clarifying Shampoo ($20) to remove any grease and product buildup. Before styling, apply a generous coating of Living Proof Prime Style Extender ($20) which actually repels dirt and sweat to extend the life of any style. Magic! If your hair needs some perking up and you don’t have time to wash it, look to Davines Hair Refresher ($28) to fake it until you make it.

Prepping and priming your skin for humidity is a total non-negotiable. First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Oil-Free Mattifying Gel ($30) has a slew of natural oil-fighters to keep the grease at bay, and absorbs quickly without over drying the skin. Warm weather is not the time for moisturizing CC Creams or dewy foundations; instead, look to Becca Ever-Matte Shine Proof Foundation ($42). This medium coverage formula blends easily and leaves the skin with a matte finish. Under eye circles don’t choose their victims based on temperature, but most concealers easily crease and flake. Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Complete Coverage Concealer ($28) stays put all day without a crease in sight. For some extra security against the grease Gods, dust your face with Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder ($34). Don’t forget to throw a refreshing mist, such as L’Occitane Immortelle Precious Mist ($16), into your bag to revitalize and refresh on-the-go. Those people giving you funny looks for misting in public? They’re just jealous.

Rising temps means more color everywhere, from your clothing to your cocktails (rosé season, anyone?). Hopefully you’re taking sun protection seriously and shielding your skin. There is truly no reason not to since you can easily fake it with Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Bronzer ($30). This formula can withstand some major moisture, and is even safe to wear with a white shirt. In the heat, most powder blushes will slide right off your skin as soon as you leave the house, so stick to a gel or stain such as Becca Beach Tint ($25). Finally, let’s not even get into the sticky hazards of lip gloss. Swap your favorites for Sonia Kashuk Velvety Matte Lip Crayon ($8) and be done with it.

Eyes: Eye makeup in warm weather can be beyond messy and irritating. Anyone who has had a mascara mishap (hello raccoon eyes!) knows that the struggle is real. Waterproof mascara and liner are absolute non-negotiables, and Eyeko Sport Mascara ($24) paired with Topshop Waterproof Liner ($10) didn’t even run or flake while being tested in a Barry’s Bootcamp class. For an easy swipe of color on your lids, try Nudestix Magnetic Eye Color Pencil ($24). It’s designed for “uber oily lids” and is waterproof, sweat-proof, and tear proof. Put it to the test… we dare you.

Body: When it’s warm outside, thick lotions and creams generally feel like they’re simply sitting on top of your skin instead of being absorbed. Swap your rich winter formulas for Sunday Riley Juno Body Serum ($105), which your skin will soak up faster than a sponge. In addition to moisturizing, this concoction promotes elasticity and tone, even if you sleep through Pilates class… again. You also want to make sure your bod is seriously clean after getting hot and sweaty (get your head out of the gutter! not THAT way!). Malin+Goetz Eucalyptus Shower Gel ($20) is anti-microbial to help keep you fresh all day long… use it and bask in the cooling effects coupled with the earthy scent.

Go ahead, get your sweat on. Your products can handle it.

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com.