Category:  hair

It’s Shampoo Time!

By | hair | 7 Comments

Any true beauty whore knows that washing your hair on a daily basis is actually bad for your hair. It strips the hair of natural oils that are used to conquer breakage and promote hair growth. Basically, if you’re washing your hair every single day, you are doing it a huge injustice – stripping the natural sheen and volume of your precious mane!

Okay, so you don’t wash your hair every day and the scalp gets super oily, right?

Well, here’s a trick that the fashion world has been using for ages! BABY POWDER!!! Baby powder absorbs excess oil and offers a nice aroma for your hair!!!

Okay, so you have brown hair and the baby powder turns it grey (and you are so NOT into the premature aging look…)

Well, here’s another trick that I’ve used for ages! Instead of pouring the powder directly onto your scalp, pour a good amount into your hands, press them together to get rid of any excess, then, starting at the roots, finger your hands through your scalp! Make sure to really get in there… don’t be afraid to mock the scrubbing motion!

And if you’re still a little skeptical about the baby powder, try Oscar Blondi’s Pronto Dry Shampoo – available in a pour top powder or a spray! Not only does it decrease the oil, it also increases the volume!

So before you wash your hair, remember what you’re taking away from the roots! Try Dry Shampooing – you’ll be impressed, we promise!

Hair to DIE For…

By | celebrity looks, hair | One Comment

Jen Atkin, celebrity cutter over at the Chris McMillan Salon (frequented by those hair-savvy celebs like Jen Aniston and Nicole Richie), and the woman responsible for MY fab mane, tells me that the two most desired hair cuts of the season are:

1 – The Rihanna bob

2 – Claudia Schiffer’s feathered look from the new Ferragamo campaign

Ponytails Are Pretty AND Practical!

By | hair | 3 Comments

A good old fashioned ponytail… ahhh… those were the days. You’d gather your hair into you hands, pull it high and fasten with a rubber band. It just made life so easy!

Well, luckily for us pny lovers, the tail is back in high demand!

Of course, it’s never just a normal ponytail… these days hairstylists and trendsetters are recreating the classic style. And they’ve got celeb names too! (Source)

The Side Ponytail (a.k.a. The Nicole Richie)

InStyle says that “the side ponytail is softer and more flattering than your average ponytail.”

How To Get The Look:

Step 1: Create waves with a wide-barreled curling iron. To do this, spritz styling spray on 2-inch sections of hair and wrap around the barrel of a curling iron. Alternate directions.
Step 2: Finger comb waves into a ponytail, securing just a few inches either to the left or the right.
Step 3: For an even more polished look, take a pencil-sized piece of hair from the bottom of the ponytail and wrap around elastic. Secure end of hair in the band and hold in place with a bobby pin.
FStep 4: Finish with a spritz of hairspray.

The Cute Ponytail (a.k.a. The Paris Hilton)

Decorate with barrettes and bobby pins.

How To Get The Look:

Step 1: Spray volumnizer at the roots, then let hair airdry, scrunching it for a bit of wave. Don’t have time? Blowdry hair without brushing, use fingers instead to separate hair.

Step 2: Rake hair back with your fingers (skip the brush) and secure either at the nape of your neck or just a bit higher. Scrunch pony more for more wave.

Step 3: Pin bangs or unsecured layers with a decorative bobby pin or little kid barrette.

The Dramatic Ponytail (a.k.a. The Tyra Banks)

The higher and tighter, the better! With or without bangs…

How To Get The Look:

Step 1: Spritz hair with a volumizing spray like Bumble and Bumble Thickening Spray, then dry hair straight. If you have curly hair, use a diffuser and an anti-frizz productinstead of the volumizer.
Step 2: Take a section at the top part of the back of your head and tease hair at the root. This will give you needed volume for the dramatic look.
Step 3: Once hair is sufficiently teased, carefully brush hair back into a pony up high on the back of your head just above your ears. Gently pull hair at the top of the pony out and up for drama.
Step 4: Run a gloss (we like Bumble and Bumble Gloss, see sleek ponytail above) through ponytail, using extra at the ends.
Step 5: If you’re going out at night, up the drama ante by securing a gorgeous barrette.

The Half-Up Half-Down Ponytail (a.k.a. The Emily Blunt)

In every variation – straight or curly hair, messy or proper – the only requisite is that it doesn’t ALL go up!

How To Get The Look:

Step 1: Part hair from ear-to-ear into a top and a bottom section.
Step 2: Secure top section with a ponytail holder.
Step 3: Take the point of a rattail comb and put it under the hair, just at the crown. Gently coax hair up until it’s just a bit puffed.
Step 4: For more drama, wrap a ribbon or a strip of fabric around hair and fasten with a bobby pin.

Have a favorite pony? Share it!

All of the information in this post is from

Hair DO’S!

By | hair | 4 Comments

I am so proud of my dear friend, actress Kelly Kruger (starring in my upcoming short film too), for making the German InStyle hair DO list… along side Fergie and Hallie Berry… not bad company… and Kelly’s pic (upper far left) is the biggest!!!

(click on image to make even bigger)

Just an FYI on summer hair – young, girly updo’s rock – all the mags agree… a loose pony tail or this bang swept, half-up is key for mixing up the sultry summer waves (in your hair… not in your bed!)

Isn’t she purrrrrrty?!

Dog and Baby Beauty Buffet!!!

By | hair | 5 Comments

I had the pleasure of bringing my precious Japanese Chin, Sadie Snowflake (for all who don’t know my doggy, she is the cutest, most amazing dog in the entire world!) to The Silverspoon’s Dog and Baby Beauty Buffet!!! Yes, dog’s and babies deserve to look beautiful as well…
Although I’m not with child… yet… (yes, hopefully soon – need to meet the man first… oops!)adults can enjoy baby products too!
I sampled the Love Me Baby Me Precious Pak, a combination of the best natural paraben-free, propylene glycol-free, hypoallergenic, pediatrician tested and tear-free baby products! Wow. If you have a kid, you must use these products… and if you don’t, you still must try them. Bubbly wash, for the bod, smoothy shampoo, for the hair, butt balm for the boodie (but we elder chicas can use it for any rash or dry skin area), creamy cream body lotion and hair putty, non-toxic styling gel… very good for thining, sensitive hair!
My fave, the Smoothy Shampoo… because it’s a great wash without stripping your hair. It doesn’t leave a residue and it doesn’t dry your hair. It’s amazing! AND it smells clean like a little baby!!!

Sadie’s doggy presents are awesome too… I’ll post something on the doggy shampoo and conditioner once I try it…

Sarah and Sadie at the Buffet… yes, that is a baby sling that Sadie is in… the Quinn by Hotslings…(CLICK HERE to view the line!) Let me tell you, it is the most fabulous invention in the world!!! I will NEVER leave home without it!

Q & A with Hair-Crazed Jenny

By | hair | One Comment

Q – “What does Jenny’s diet consist of and what supplements does she take to achevie such long, healthy hair?”

A – “My diet consists of bagels and pancakes. I’m the worst. I don’t take any supplements. I rarely color my hair and I always get my hair professionally blown out. Also, I never use hair accessiories. Ever. These ruin your hair!”

A few of my favorite things…

By | favorites, hair, makeup, skin | 3 Comments

It’s been a while, but well worth the wait (I hope!)

On this beautiful and sunny Wednesday afternoon, I am going to share with you, fellow beauty whores, a few of my favorite things:

The Body Shop Born Lippy Strawberry Lip Balm – Why? Because it smells fresh, goes on smooth, actually moisturizes (yea!!!) and leaves the lips with the slightest touch of rouge… in other words, I can wear it daily without looking made-up but still looking magnificent.

Kevin Aucoin Super Soft Buff Powder Brush- Why? Because it is cut flat on top so, once dipped in your favorite blush, it covers the perfect amount of cheek… in other words, I don’t need to play the guessing game – where do I put the blush, how far up, etc. This brush does all the dirty work for me!

Cococare Coconut Moisturing Oil – Why? Because it’s a nice break from the old lotion routine. AND it smells simply delicious. And it leaves skin soft, smooth and shiny (like a wrestler, but sexy). And the best part is, it’s cheap!… in other words, I smell and look like a sex goddess without breaking the bank. I also love to mix oil with lotion and lather on my body after a nice long bath (post exfoliation)… there’s something about the combination that really makes the skin “pop.”

A Wide Tooth Comb – Why? Because it is the perfect detangler when hair is still wet AND it doesn’t break the cuticle or the tips. Also, since I have curly hair, it allows enough room for my hair to “breathe” as opposed to a brush which stiffles and suffocates the hair shaft… in other words, hair that’s combed is happy and healthy hair.

Neutrogena Skin Clearing Oil-Free Concealer – Why? Because everyone breaks out and who what’s their blemishes out there for the world to see? This concealer also contains salicylic acid which fights break-outs and reduces redness. So really, you get two in one – a zit zapper and a cover-up… in other words, this product is genius! (I use color medium 03 and I NEVER leave home without it!)

Tell us your favorite things by emailing

ALSO, hair crazed Jenny is back in town so if you have a question for the lovely Jenny C, email us asap!!!

It’s all in the HEAD…

By | hair | One Comment

…Shower head, that is. Who knew that the type of shower head you use can actually change the texture and strength of your hair?!
The Waterpik Original Shower Massage Shower Head available at Bed, Bath and Beyond makes washing your hair not just a chore, but an experience.
Hair-crazed Jenny has been in LA for the past week and she refuses to wash her hair in the shower of the house that she is staying.
Because the shower head trickles water. And, according to Jenny, trickling water doesn’t clean the hair thus adding to the build-up of excess product and impurities.
So where does Jenny shower? My house! Because, yes, I have the shower head…. I too adore the deep cleaning, aggressive pressure of the fabulous shower head. And I too have million dollar lockes that crave special attention!
Jenny also claims that on her recent (daily) trip to Frederick Fekkai, her hair stylist gushed over the softness and healthy state of her lovely lockes!
A word (or several…) from the company:
“Now stepping into your shower can feel like a visit to the masseuse. Wall-mounted shower head has eight relaxing spray and massage settings including a pause option, a steady pulsating spray, a powerful turbo massage, a pulsating spray massage, a soft spray and combination spray.”

So try it and decide for yourself… does the head really make a difference?

Hair Crazed Jenny Returns

By | hair | 8 Comments

Remember my hair crazed friend, Jenny Cohen??? (CLICK HERE to refresh your memory.)
Well, Jenny’s back in town and she’s going to share some more of her fabulous hair tips with all our fellow beauty whores!!!
Jenny’s new must-have shampoo and conditioner is….

Loreal Intense Repair Shampoo and Masque because, “it keeps the color fresh, it smoothes the cuticle without having to use a product, it allows for lift and movement on the ends during styling and it’s healthy for the hair. It’s the best alternating shampoo to Kerastase.”
Jenny says that she likes to shampoo her hair once all over and then a second time just on the roots and let the shampoo work it’s way through as you rinse it out. Condition from the ears down, heavily, and run your fingers through the top with the residue on your hands. Rinse for at least 8 or 9 minutes. AND rinse in the position that you want your hair styled in. For example, if you want a side part, rinse with your hair in a side part.
And for all those who have inquired about Jenny’s hair color, she says it’s “natural with dark blonde highlights. NO base color. And NO toner! I let the sun lift it and I go into the ocean to strip product from my hair!!!”
A close-up of Jenny’s fabulous lockes!!!

In closing, Jenny says to “treat your hair like a fine piece of silk. Never brush from the top to the ends. Always comb from the ends upwards. Never use metal hair brushes or hair accesories.”
Thanks, Jenny!