Category:  favorites

The Very BEST Blushes

By | favorites | 4 Comments

Once again, Guest Editor Di Gaeta is sharing her beauty expertise with you!

Hello, Darlings.

So, Sarah has asked me to share with you my favorite blushies and why, because I seem to have a knack for choosing them. As I’ve had every hair color in the book and am sometimes tan and sometimes not, I am offering up my various picks.

When I’m a pale blondie, like now, I LOVVVE the Apricot Face Tint by Laura Mercier. This blush looks scarily bright in its little jar but one dip, blow, and puff right on the apples of the cheeks and you look healthy and adorable. This is also a really great universal “I’m just in from the cold” color.

When I’m a tan brunette, I’m all about Nars Outlaw. The color is a deep sexy rose, and while too strong on fair skin, is STUNNING on darker tones. This color gives you that “own personal lighting team” effect for it has tiny flecks of gold in it.

Lastly, my two constants that fit everyone no matter what time of year are, Nars Lovejoy and Becca Beach Tint in Watermelon. The Lovejoy is a blend of the best-selling Orgasm blush (a golden peach) and their medium bronzer. This is a perfect pick for when you are ill, sallow, or need a general pick me up. The Beach tint comes in a cute, tiny, little, tube and it is the loveliest shade of, well, watermelon. This is my absolute fave because not only is it a beautiful “on the apples” blush but it is also the most fabulous “Angelina Jolie” lip color because it is both matte and just bitten looking.

Enjoy,

Xxx Di

What’s your must-have blush???

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!

By | favorites | 8 Comments

In celebration of my birthday (21… yet again!), I’ve decided to post a few of MY favorite links from past beauty banter postings…
Some of these are really old, from the early days of beauty banter, so for my new fellow beauty whores, I hope that you get a chance to catch up with these incredible posts!

xo xo Beauty Banter (sorta like Gossip Girl… sorry, couldn’t resist!)

  • Here’s a few of my favorite things from back in March, 2007… i loved this post because it was the first of my favorite things and everything on the post is relatively affordable and products that are still favorites!
  • Alice + Olivia designer, Stacey Bendet, writes exclusively for beauty banter about how she stays healthy – from yoga, to a list of must-have vitamins, to foods and teas that are absolutely necessary!
  • I dish on the expensive maintenance of million dollar hair... and the must have products for a fab mane!
  • Still, the BEST hand cream, and Jackie O’s personal favorite… where to buy it in the states…
  • One of my absolute favorite articles written about the “100 New Beauty Rules You Need to Know For Autumn,” from British rag, Grazia. Each of these rules is still pretty relevant and worth a re-read!
  • Silky skin like a Vegas Stripper – the must-have product – and it’s super cheap!
  • Thanks to fellow beauty whore Alex Shears for this next bit of beauty education – from British Vogue, famous makeup artists dish on the products that they can’t live without! I often refer back to this particular post when I am in dire need of some SOS beauty advice!
  • An Italian import – one of my favorite line of body products that is tres affordable! And a beauty blogging discovery!
  • Another brilliant post by Ms. Alex Shears – Organic must-haves… the good, the great, and the super fabulous!
  • The beautiful Bijou Phillips dishes on what she has in her make-up bag… 10 products that will send you straight to Sephora!
  • Make-up tips from my summer film, I Heart Veronica Martin’s, incredible makeup artist, Sole Alberti… how to achieve the hot and sexy look of the gorgeous stars from my film!
  • So there you go… some great reading, fab beauty advice and awesome products!

  • FacebookTwitterPinterestStumbleUponEmail

    A few of my favorite things…

    By | body, favorites | 6 Comments

    In memory of the late founder, Anita Roddick, we’re going to post on our favorite The Body Shop products…

    Coconut Body Butter: A delicious treat for your body! All of the body butters are divine but the coconut is our favorite… it reminds us of a tropical Island vacation!

    An intensive, creamy all-over body moisturizer. It absorbs into the skin easily, helping to condition, soften and smooth the skin. Once you get over the indulgent tropical scent, slick this on and be transported all over again.”

    White Musk Sumptuous Silk Shower Gel: I used to use this back in high school – the scent helped to wake me up when not even my alarm could get me out of bed! There’s something very nostalgic about this product… it’s pretty close to the perfect shower gel!
    “A sumptuously sensual soap-free body cleanser with a silky smooth gel texture that creates a creamy, foamy lather in the shower and leaves skin feeling cleansed, refreshed and subtly scented with the soft and velvety signature White Musk scent.”

    Spa Wisdom Africa Spa Salt Scrub: I think what we love most about this scrub is the fabulous jar that it comes in! Well, that and the fact that it leaves skin super soft!
    “This luxurious Body Salt Scrub effectively cleanses and exfoliates the skin. Salts gently exfoliate to revitalize dull skin and refine, leaving the skin soft and smooth. Fragranced with a subtle warm floral, fruity scent.”

    Strawberry Born Lippy Balm: We’ve blogged about this lippy before (CLICK HERE), and we’re still loving it! With the slightest hint of a red hue and the yummiest scent, this gloss is a daily wear!
    “Give lips the strawberries and gleam treatment. With Community Trade beeswax from Zambia.”

    The Body Shop is a prime example of sustainable beauty – giving back to the communities that need it most. Thus, we can be beautiful while helping others. This is a magnificent concept, one I hope other companies will follow…

    Summer Do’s and Don’ts… A few of my favorite things….

    By | favorites | 5 Comments

    DO let your face soak in the salt water. Salt water is a natural drying agent – extracting those black heads and healing any sort of acne.

    DON’T let your hair soak in the salt water. The ocean strips your hair of it’s color and shine AND dries it out. Try spraying some sort of hair defense spray (We’re loving Pureology’s Antifade Complex UV Hair Colour Defense! Thanks to the Silver Spoon Beach House, I was given a sample of this color protection spray. It’s amazing! Helping to reduce breakage and protect your hair from the sun and salt.)

    DO layer your face and lips with Sunblock! Try Lancome’s SÔLEIL ULTRA EXPERT SUN CARE – SPF 50 Sunscreen Face Cream for Sensitive Skin! To completely prevent wrinkles and sunspots, you need a high SPF!

    DON’T leave a white residue (or any color) of sun protection ANYWHERE on your face (this includes lips!) Colored zinc is soooo 1990’s!

    DO wear lighter, more sheer colors on the face. Try Mark by Avon’s Summer line. The Shimmer and Shine tubes are fab for easy lip shine! Also, so well priced at $5.00 a pop! Try Marshmallow, the perfect pink.

    DON’T layer your face with reds and blacks. Bold is great, just not for summer make-up!

    DO wear lose, clothing… breazy and beachy. White is a summer staple. Beach attire should be more relaxed and tropical then every day attire. Try a cover-up by Float Designs. We’re loving the Sun-Soaked Pullover in white – perfect worn alone for the beach, add some jeans and flats and it’s great for a casual dinner as well!

    DON’T dress like you’re a club rat. Leave the stiletto’s and boots at home! The sand is no place for your Jimmy Choo’s.

    DO wear a bathing suit that suits your specific body type. Try Syla Swimwear – beautiful, fun and flirty swimsuits for every body type! The designer, Sylvie Cachay, worked at Victoria’s Secret before launching her own line. And let me tell you, these bikini’s are God sent! Pure beach bliss!!! (We’re loving the Carolina!)

    DON’T wear a string bikini just because it’s “in.” Too much skin is just as bad as too little.

    DO keep your body hydrated! Inside and Out! Drink tons of water and use a refreshing spray to offer refuge from the sun and heat. Try Banana Boat’s Aloe After Sun Gel Ultramist Continuous Spray. It smells sweet, replenishes moisture, aloe vera clams the skin AND it actually refreshes! We love this product!

    DON’T slather on tons of oil just because you want a fast and easy tan. Burning is sooo not a cute look. Nor is skin cancer!

    And lastly, DO have fun! Summer is all about the fun…

    ***Special Thanks to The Silver Spoon Beach House for giving us the A-list treatment and introducing us to some fabulous Summer lines!***

    A few of my favorite things…

    By | body, favorites, makeup | 7 Comments

    I’ve decided that each month I’m going to do a post of a few of my favorite beauty “things” from that month…
    As always my fellow beauty whores, if you have suggestions or recommendations, let us know by leaving a comment in the comment box below!

    ReVive Lip & Perioral Renewal Cream: Why? Because it restores the moisture in my lips like no other lip cream out there. It’s also meant to be used around the mouth to nourish and fill in cracks, lines and wrinkles. It’s the perfect product to use prior to a red lippy ’cause it doesn’t let the lippy bleed! One huge drawback…. the PRICETAG: $115.00 (but if you are a serious victim of dry lips, this is a must-have product to add to your beauty regimine).

    Malibu Secret Body Treatment: Why? Because it smells tropical – jasmine, old rose and gardenia – (and all the boys notice) and it feels like a cool souffle layered onto my skin! The company says that it is, “the first body lotion that contains ETF a patented biopeptide, biotech version of Epidermal Thymic Factor, a hormone naturally occuring in the skin that promotes cell renewal.” All I know is that this lotion really works and my skin just devours it up! PRICE TAG: $22.00

    Benefit’s Eye Bright Stick: Why? It fakes the “slept all day and night” look. If applied to the inner and outer corners of your eyes, this wonder stick brightens dark circles and dull, tired eyes flawlessly! It’s great for an afternoon pick-me-up as well. Make sure to blend! PRICE TAG: $18.00

    Oil of Olay Body Thermal Pedicure: Why? Because it heats upon contact. It’s the strangest feeling and I don’t know how they do it, but it actually gets hot when rubbed onto your feet (the heating sensation only lasts a couple of seconds but it’s pretty cool!). Bora Bora white sand, pumice, and micro-crystals exfoliate (very important after using self-tanning lotions as the tanner tends to create pockets of orange residue around the toes and ankles)! Shea Butter moisturizes. This product is genius! I use it every other day in the bath or shower!!!

    MAC Viva Glam VI: Why? Because proceeds from the sale of this terracotta-plum lipstick go to the MAC AIDS fund to support H.I.V./ AIDS research. Since 1994, MAC has already donated 90 million to the cause. And we at beauty banter love sustainable beauty! Giving back! (found in the pages of Vanity Fair’s July issue). PRICE TAG: $14.00

    Vanity Fair’s July 2007 issue dedicated to Africa with special guest editor Bono (of U2): Why? Because it’s s a magazine that you’ll want to read cover to cover. It left me feeling hopefull and empowered. We can change the world, each and every one of us! (And the 20 special covers shot by Annie Leibovitz boast some of the world’s most important faces helping to raise awareness in Africa: Oprah, George Clooney, Alicia Keyes, Bono, Bill and Melinda Gates, even President George Bush!) This issue is an absolute must (currently on newstands)!!!! PRICE TAG: $4.50

    A few of my favorite things…

    By | favorites, hair, makeup, skin | 3 Comments

    It’s been a while, but well worth the wait (I hope!)

    On this beautiful and sunny Wednesday afternoon, I am going to share with you, fellow beauty whores, a few of my favorite things:

    The Body Shop Born Lippy Strawberry Lip Balm – Why? Because it smells fresh, goes on smooth, actually moisturizes (yea!!!) and leaves the lips with the slightest touch of rouge… in other words, I can wear it daily without looking made-up but still looking magnificent.

    Kevin Aucoin Super Soft Buff Powder Brush- Why? Because it is cut flat on top so, once dipped in your favorite blush, it covers the perfect amount of cheek… in other words, I don’t need to play the guessing game – where do I put the blush, how far up, etc. This brush does all the dirty work for me!

    Cococare Coconut Moisturing Oil – Why? Because it’s a nice break from the old lotion routine. AND it smells simply delicious. And it leaves skin soft, smooth and shiny (like a wrestler, but sexy). And the best part is, it’s cheap!… in other words, I smell and look like a sex goddess without breaking the bank. I also love to mix oil with lotion and lather on my body after a nice long bath (post exfoliation)… there’s something about the combination that really makes the skin “pop.”

    A Wide Tooth Comb – Why? Because it is the perfect detangler when hair is still wet AND it doesn’t break the cuticle or the tips. Also, since I have curly hair, it allows enough room for my hair to “breathe” as opposed to a brush which stiffles and suffocates the hair shaft… in other words, hair that’s combed is happy and healthy hair.

    Neutrogena Skin Clearing Oil-Free Concealer – Why? Because everyone breaks out and who what’s their blemishes out there for the world to see? This concealer also contains salicylic acid which fights break-outs and reduces redness. So really, you get two in one – a zit zapper and a cover-up… in other words, this product is genius! (I use color medium 03 and I NEVER leave home without it!)

    Tell us your favorite things by emailing beautybanter@gmail.com

    ALSO, hair crazed Jenny is back in town so if you have a question for the lovely Jenny C, email us asap!!!