Have you ever been at, say, a party and you see a woman from across the room: long, thick, volumized, perfectly piecey hair? You don’t even notice her face or her body because the hair – wow, that hair is everything. Well, it’s happened to me (I’ve been the one staring agape). And as of late, I’ve been trying to be on the receiving end of the hair envy googley eyes. What I’ve come to realize is that good hair is all about texture. Fine, limp locks won’t cut it. You need tousled, texturized tresses: volumized roots and dimensional, separated strands. And what genetics is unable to offer you, texturizing products will. Think of these as perfect hair in a bottle… tube… or jar. Use a spray and a cream together, or use just one color. Either way, you’ll definitely want to get your hands – and hair – on these products.
1. Bumble and bumble Bb.Texture Creme ($28) – This coveted gel-cream imparts an undone, messy look while adding texture. Apply to damp or dry hair and work into ends, scrunching as you go. Leaves hair a bit dry, so try a condition g mask like RepHair by Pierre Michel Hair Mask ($34) (a personal favorite!), to wash it out and add back the moisture. TIP: If you use this on damp hair and let it air dry, it’ll give your hair another dimension… literally!
2. Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray ($39) – This stuff is genius, a hybrid between a dry shampoo and a hairspray, adds volume and texture while absorbing excess oil. Spray on the roots and scrunch.
3. Alterna Bamboo Style Shape Moldable Texture Paste ($22) – Comes in a tub and applies like a pomade, this cream can be applied to dry hair to add texture, medium hold and separation.
4. Big Sexy Hair Flip It Over Texture Spray ($19) – A weightless spray that adds volume and texture without stiffness. Apply to dry roots and tousle for an undone, messy, sexy look.
5. L’Oreal EverStyle Texture Tousle Creme ($7) – A great drugstore alternative to tousled, textured hair, this cream separates and defines with ease and manageability. Apply to damp or dry hair – roots to ends – and scrunch.