Favorites:
Sunscreen

best sunscreens

Yesterday was officially the first day of spring. And while you may not be feeling the heat just yet, that sliver of sun (however slight it is) can be causing serious damage to your complexion. Rule of thumb: even if you can’t see the sun, the sun can see you. It’s imperative to wear SPF year round but if you’ve taken a detour due to this year’s polar vortex, I won’t hold it agains you (although your skin may disagree). Just make me – and your face – a promise: Starting today, sunscreen will be a part of your daily morning wash routine.

A few factors you should consider when choosing a sunscreen:
Zinc – the higher the percent of zinc, the more protection against the sun (read why here).
SPF – You’ll want to purchase a sunscreen that has a SPF of at least 30 – I prefer higher SPF in spring and summer when the days are longer and the sun is stronger.
Moisturizer with added SPF – Sure, just make sure that you are reapplying throughout the day. In fact, always reapply – every 4-6 hours and apply 15 minutes prior to sun exposure.

Here, a few of our favorite SPF’s:

Peter Thomas Roth ‘Retinol Fusion AM’ Moisturizer SPF 30 $78 – I once heard Peter Thomas Roth himself discussing his skincare line and he mentioned this product as one of his favorites. I immediately tried the moisturizer + SPF and found it ideal for problem skin (the 1.5% time-release solution gradually delivers retinol which sheds dead skin, reduces wrinkles and improves skin texture and tone). This is a moisturizer with an added sunscreen, so it will both hydrate and protect. A near perfect product.

La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50 Tinted Mineral Ultra Fluid Sunscreen $34 – Tinted version of the cult classic La Roche-Posay Anthelios Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid, SPF 50. I’m a big fan of high SPF, so this product has been a longtime favorite. The ultra-light texture means that it absorbs into the skin easily and the semi-matte tinted hue gets rid of any white residue that normal sunscreens tend to leave behind.

Lavanila The Healthy Sun Screen SPF 40 $28 – If you like all-natural products, this sunscreen is a necessity. The non-comedogenic formula combines two of my favorite sun warriors: titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. Add in antioxidants, botanicals, and amino acids and you’ve got a very healthy SPF. While the formula does apply sheer the consistency is medium to medium-thick.

Algenist Ultra Lightweight UV Defense Fluid SPF 50 $38 – I pretty much used this stuff religiously last summer. I love how sheer it applies and it contains Alguronic Acid and antioxidant-rich botanicals to give your sunblock a nice boost. With over 17% zinc, it protects my skin for a longer period of time than most similar SPF’s.

Arcona Nearly Invisible Dry Mineral Powder SPF 30 $45 – This is an ideal alternative to liquid sunscreen, especially useful for those who feel that sunscreen makes you break out – no longer an excuse to go naked! I like powders as additions to my daily morning SPF. In other words, I apply the powder throughout the day and it helps to curb sweat and oil and keeps makeup at bay. You can find this in a tinted formula, but I usually opt for the natural.

tagged in: ,

related posts:

Favorites: Rose-Inspired Beauty Products
Favorites: Brows That Wow
Wish List: Summer Makeup Buys

No Comments Yet

You can be the first to comment!