Sure, it’s summer but if you’ve been listening to me then you shouldn’t have a serious tan on your face. If you’ve been wearing your SPF, hat and sunnies religiously, then your complexion is bound to be a bit lighter than the rest of your body – I know mine is. So how do we get that nice, even glow without the sun? Bronzers! Here are some favorites – powder, cream and gel – that will keep you looking healthy right into fall:
1. The Balm Bahama Mama ($20) – This matte bronzer is also ideal for contouring. It gives off the perfect warm, glowing tanned shade without the shimmer or orangeness of so many other bronzers.
2. Suntegrity “5 In 1” Natural Moisturizing Face Sunscreen ($45) – Give the best natural “tanned” color and has 20% zinc to fight off UVA and UVB rays. Oh yeah, it also makes your complexion appear flawless and even. I am seriously devoted to this product.
3. DiorSkin Nude Tan Nude Glow Sun Powder in Honey ($52) – Makeup artist Fiona Stiles chose this product as one of her top ten spring must-haves. As Stiles points out, there’s “no sparkle in it, so it looks real.” Also great to use as a contouring shade. Honey is the lightest of the bunch so it will give you the most natural golden glow.
4. Becca Bronzing Skin Perfector ($36) – I discovered this product at the beginning of summer and have already raved about it. What I like most is the gel consistency. It stays on for hours, giving a natural and even summer bronze to your complexion. You can wear it alone or mix it in with foundation for an all-over glow.
5 – Nars Bronzing Powder in Laguna ($36) – A bit of shimmer, a bit of matte, a whole lot of sunkissed color. It doesn’t streak or wear off and the shade looks great on just about everyone.
6 – Josie Maran Argan Brightening Bronzer ($32) – In an interview I did with Josie Maran of Josie Maran Cosmetics, she said: “I’m obsessed with [the Argan Brightening Bronzer]. I think bronzer helps you look healthier.” I couldn’t agree more. This bronzer contains argan oil to aid in repairing sun damaged skin. “A great trick when applying bronzer, is to make the number 3 from your temple down to your chin,” explains Josie. “So with your bronzer brush, start at your forehead/temple, curve into your cheekbone as if you were writing the number 3 and then curve under your chin. Apply on both sides, so a backwards 3 and a regular 3, on each side of your face.” Psst… This is how I apply my bronzer too!
7. Dr. Hauschka Translucent Bronze Concentrate ($40) – I’ve been a fan of this “liquid sun” for years now. You can wear alone or add a bit in with your favorite moisturizer for a natural bronzed glow. It’s ideal for sensitive and acne-prone complexions as well as pregnant women as the ingredients are 100 percent natural!