With summer comes some particularly fetching braided hairstyles. Take, for example, the braided cobweb updo that Kate Bosworth wore (more like, murdered) at the launch of her new Style Thief app. Gorgeous, intricate braids that wrapped around her head like a halo. Sure, this isn’t exactly a look we can achieve at home (although it’s great inspiration to bring next time you book an appointment at the braid bar), but there are tons of beautiful braided looks that are easily attainable with your own two hands.
Here, our favorites:
1. The French Braid – Wear it traditionally with the hair pulled back and down the center, or with a contemporary twist by doing a side french braid like Rihanna and Kristen Bell. You can start at the crown of your head or down toward the center. Either way, heads will turn.
2. The Fishtail – Definitely getting some serious play this summer, the fishtail is the trendy, fun sister of the french braid (achieved by using two sections of hair instead of three). Selena Gomez’s pony and fishtail is all kinds of fierce, but you can do a low fishtail (starting at the nape of your neck) and a side fishtail in seconds as well!
3. Milkmaid Braids – A post on braids without the milkmaid just wouldn’t be right. And this tutorial here teaches how to do a simple milkmaid braid in a matter of minutes. Sienna Miller gives good milkmaid, or duplicate Jennifer Lawrence’s more traditional approach by braiding two pigtails and attaching them at the crown of your head. Wispy face-framing pieces are optional.
4. Piecey Braids – You don’t need your entire head to be braided. Opt for a few strategically placed braids like Blake Lively and Jessica Alba (who then pulled her hair – and braids – into a chignon).
5. The Braided Headband – This is a super fresh and cute look for the girl who likes to wear her hair down… like Jen Aniston. Braid just the bangs section, starting from a side part, and attach with a clear ponytail holder. Let the rest of your hair go loose.
Have a favorite braid? Let us know below….